Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330xi PP/SP/CP Xenon
Talking I finally did it...

After weeks of surfing this site and then spending even more hours agonizing which options to get, I finally placed an ED order for a 330xi last week. It'll have PP/SP/CW and Xenons. Orient blue with natural brown interior. I hope this can at least put an end to my staying up till 2 or 3 am trying to read everything I can on the 3-series when I have to get up at 5:30 am! I'm also very lucky that my dealer got me a very fast delivery timeframe -- picking up on Mar 30, just a 7-week wait. My husband and I have very limiting travel schedules this spring/summer due to our work but the dealer was extremely willing to help us work around that. And now I guess I can stay up in the middle of the night to plan our trip which hopefully will take us to Budapest, Berlin and Prague and everywhere in between. Or maybe I'll try to figure out how to hook up my iPod when my car finally gets back here. Thanks to all of you for sharing your invaluable experience and I hope I can contribute just as much for others.
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2004, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcg
I'm also very lucky that my dealer got me a very fast delivery timeframe -- picking up on Mar 30, just a 7-week wait.
Congrats, cmcg! And you're right -- that isn't much time from ordering to ED. My wait will end up being something like 12 weeks. But I'm down to only 59 days!
Old 02-17-2004, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Congrats! Enjoy your trip to Europe. BTW, OB is an awesome color!
Old 02-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Ex-Autobahn Speed Demon

Mein Auto: 2014 528i xDrive M Sport
Thumbs up

Congrats!!!!!! Enjoy your XI on autobahn. I have mine for 1 month and 2 days, I am still grinning from ear to ear.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
And now I guess I can stay up in the middle of the night to plan our trip which hopefully will take us to Budapest, Berlin and Prague and everywhere in between. Or maybe I'll try to figure out how to hook up my iPod when my car finally gets back here. Thanks to all of you for sharing your invaluable experience and I hope I can contribute just as much for others.
Sweet! Congrats on getting it done.

Tip: Travel planning now, ipod hookup while you're waiting for redelivery.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanning machine
Tip: Travel planning now, ipod hookup while you're waiting for redelivery.
Well...have done much of travel planning but the problem now is waiting for Lufthansa. I mentioned in another thread that I'm waiting for them to confirm my 2-for-1 fare for me. I made my reservation last Monday, Feb 9 and it has been 10 days now and the special BMW rate dept still can't confirm the rate for me! I know where I want to go and where I want to stay but until they get back to me, I can't really do anything! So incredibly frustrating!
Old 02-19-2004, 07:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to killerdeck
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW M3 Convertible
Hey cmcg, sounds like an awesome trip

Hey cmcg,

Congrats on your purchase! I too just ordered a 330i ZHP, Imola Red, cloth seats, xenons, and fold down rear seats! I will take delivery in SC at the Performance Center. Needless to say, I am a little jealous of you getting euro delivery, but my time is also hard to come by these days. Enjoy your trip!

-Evan
Old 02-19-2004, 02:40 PM
iLike iDrive

Mein Auto: 99 Z3, 04 330CiC
Quote:
Well...have done much of travel planning but the problem now is waiting for Lufthansa. I mentioned in another thread that I'm waiting for them to confirm my 2-for-1 fare for me. I made my reservation last Monday, Feb 9 and it has been 10 days now and the special BMW rate dept still can't confirm the rate for me! I know where I want to go and where I want to stay but until they get back to me, I can't really do anything! So incredibly frustrating!
The 2-4-1 fare is in a booking class that is not the lowest possible fare. You may want to check what the lowest possible fare might be if you purchased 2 tickets. Ask your travel agent or check airline websites. The price of 2 tickets may be close to the 2-4-1 fare anyway. Also with 2 paid tickets, both travelers accrue FF miles.

Last edited by ger3sf; 02-19-2004 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger3sf
The 2-4-1 fare is in a booking class that is not the lowest possible fare. You may want to check what the lowest possible fare might be if you purchased 2 tickets. Ask your travel agent or check airline websites. The price of 2 tickets may be close to the 2-4-1 fare anyway. Also with 2 paid tickets, both travelers accrue FF miles.
Yep, it is true that it's not the lowest fare but it's still a $600 saving in our scenario, that is when they finally approve our fare. The beauty of buying both tickets as opposed to doing the 2-for-1 is I can also use my miles to upgrade both of us to business class but at this point, I'd rather save $600. With the two-for-one fare, not only does just one person get the FF miles, you can't use any upgrades. I actually used to own and operate a travel business that primarily serves international travelers and this 2-for-1 fare is still the cheapest....
Old 02-19-2004, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 330Cic
Tips

A couple of suggestions, if I may.

1. Make sure you remove the emergency triangle from your tool box before handing the car over for delivery or else they (don't know exactly who) will remove it as it is not a US spec item.

2. Careful in the Czech Republic, particularly with a BMW. Last time I was there I was driving a 316ti, at or below the speed limit, and the cops still managed to give me the highest fine they could find in their little book for a supposed illegal turn. The good thing was that the fine was only $25, the lowest fine I ever paid!
Old 02-19-2004, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm
A couple of suggestions, if I may.

1. Make sure you remove the emergency triangle from your tool box before handing the car over for delivery or else they (don't know exactly who) will remove it as it is not a US spec item.

2. Careful in the Czech Republic, particularly with a BMW. Last time I was there I was driving a 316ti, at or below the speed limit, and the cops still managed to give me the highest fine they could find in their little book for a supposed illegal turn. The good thing was that the fine was only $25, the lowest fine I ever paid!
Hey dbm,

Thanks for your suggestions. I think someone else also mentioned removing the first aid kit and even floor mats. Do you think I need to remove those as well?

Thanks for also the insight on CR; I hadn't heard that before but that's good to know. Good thing their highest fine is $25!!!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf44108
Congrats!!!!!! Enjoy your XI on autobahn. I have mine for 1 month and 2 days, I am still grinning from ear to ear.
gf44108: I'm sure I'll be grinning from ear to ear...well, I am already now! How's your XI? I only test drove one for about 15-20 minutes in almost blizzard condition in Boston last month and it was great! What other options did you get?
Old 02-19-2004, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdeck
Hey cmcg,

Congrats on your purchase! I too just ordered a 330i ZHP, Imola Red, cloth seats, xenons, and fold down rear seats! I will take delivery in SC at the Performance Center. Needless to say, I am a little jealous of you getting euro delivery, but my time is also hard to come by these days. Enjoy your trip!

-Evan
WOW!!! Imola Read!!! I have actually yet to see a ZHP Imola Red in person. Sounds fantastic. When are you getting yours? I know several people who did the Performance Center delivery and they all loved it. You'll have a great time there!
Old 02-20-2004, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Hey dbm,

Thanks for your suggestions. I think someone else also mentioned removing the first aid kit and even floor mats. Do you think I need to remove those as well?

Thanks for also the insight on CR; I hadn't heard that before but that's good to know. Good thing their highest fine is $25!!!

I bought a 330Cic (the 316ti was a loaner) and it came back with the emergency kit but without the triangle or floor mats. The problem is that I really don't remember if it had the floor mats in Europe or not. My dealer charged me $125 for a new set.

So I'd say yes, if you have the floor mats in Europe and you have room in your luggage, do take them out.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to BillKach
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm
I bought a 330Cic (the 316ti was a loaner) and it came back with the emergency kit but without the triangle or floor mats. The problem is that I really don't remember if it had the floor mats in Europe or not. My dealer charged me $125 for a new set.

So I'd say yes, if you have the floor mats in Europe and you have room in your luggage, do take them out.
Left my floor mats in the car and they made it - along with a new set that were thrown in somewhere along the way. I took the triangle and first aid kit with me.
When I got my car back some of the tools were missing from the tool kit and another first aid kit had appeared...
2004 545i TiAg/Black/Anthracite, Step, SP (ED 11/03, sold 4/05)
2001 330Cic Steel Blue/Black, retired
1998 Z3 2.8 Montreal Blue/Black, retired
Old 02-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Ex-Autobahn Speed Demon

Mein Auto: 2014 528i xDrive M Sport
Quote:
gf44108: I'm sure I'll be grinning from ear to ear...well, I am already now! How's your XI? I only test drove one for about 15-20 minutes in almost blizzard condition in Boston last month and it was great! What other options did you get?
Mystic Blue, premimum, sport and cold weather package. Here in Cleveland with snow I am glad that I got the XI. It drives better than my Montero Sport with 4 wheel drive.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKach
Left my floor mats in the car and they made it - along with a new set that were thrown in somewhere along the way. I took the triangle and first aid kit with me.
When I got my car back some of the tools were missing from the tool kit and another first aid kit had appeared...
Bizarre. My mats made it, and I took the triangle and first aid kit, and flashlight. dealer asked if I had taken the flashlight--i said yes so didn't get a second one. i think all the tools transferred.. both plates made it too.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:20 PM
ED experienced member

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanning machine
Bizarre. My mats made it, and I took the triangle and first aid kit, and flashlight. dealer asked if I had taken the flashlight--i said yes so didn't get a second one. i think all the tools transferred.. both plates made it too.
I was told by Harms guy to leave the floor mats and they survived the trip. I did take out the triangle and first aid kit. Had to throw away the scissors as I only had carry-on.

The flash light didnt make the trip. The car still had its rear plates on upon redelivery along with my european maps and other junk from europe.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330 cic ED
Quote:
After weeks of surfing this site and then spending even more hours agonizing which options to get, I finally placed an ED order for a 330xi last week. It'll have PP/SP/CW and Xenons. Orient blue with natural brown interior. I hope this can at least put an end to my staying up till 2 or 3 am trying to read everything I can on the 3-series when I have to get up at 5:30 am! I'm also very lucky that my dealer got me a very fast delivery timeframe -- picking up on Mar 30, just a 7-week wait. My husband and I have very limiting travel schedules this spring/summer due to our work but the dealer was extremely willing to help us work around that. And now I guess I can stay up in the middle of the night to plan our trip which hopefully will take us to Budapest, Berlin and Prague and everywhere in between. Or maybe I'll try to figure out how to hook up my iPod when my car finally gets back here. Thanks to all of you for sharing your invaluable experience and I hope I can contribute just as much for others.
I could be wrong, but I believe that the BMW ED insurance does not cover Eastern Europe, including Prague and Budapest.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to killerdeck
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW M3 Convertible
Quote:
WOW!!! Imola Read!!! I have actually yet to see a ZHP Imola Red in person. Sounds fantastic. When are you getting yours? I know several people who did the Performance Center delivery and they all loved it. You'll have a great time there!
I will be picking my baby up on May 4th. Driving home 1200 miles via I-20 to Texas over a 5 day period with stops in Atlanta, somewhere in Mississippi, Shreveport to gamble (!), and Dallas before coming back to Austin area. My wife and I are planning and are very anxious.

-Evan
Old 02-21-2004, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubens
I could be wrong, but I believe that the BMW ED insurance does not cover Eastern Europe, including Prague and Budapest.
I checked with BMW and they do cover Eastern Europe now, at least definitely Czech Republic, not sure about Hungary. We're flying into Budapest prior to picking car up in Munich so we won't be driving there. I am not leasing and think there are different rules for those who lease.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:59 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm
Have you checked the paperwork you signed when you dropped the car off at E.H. Harms? It should note whether they received the car with floor mats or not (for the insurance). The form should also have check boxes for a first aid kit and warning triangle.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf
Have you checked the paperwork you signed when you dropped the car off at E.H. Harms? It should note whether they received the car with floor mats or not (for the insurance). The form should also have check boxes for a first aid kit and warning triangle.
Thanks, John!

Indeed, I checked the paper work and the floor mats were there when I gave the car to Harms. Now I have to get my money back from the dealer!
Old 02-28-2004, 04:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to BillKach
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm
Thanks, John!

Indeed, I checked the paper work and the floor mats were there when I gave the car to Harms. Now I have to get my money back from the dealer!
Don't be surprised if the car has 2 sets of mats at re-delivery. Mine did.
A second set was added somewhere between Harms and the dealer.
I guess they are throwing in the new standard 5-series mats.
2004 545i TiAg/Black/Anthracite, Step, SP (ED 11/03, sold 4/05)
2001 330Cic Steel Blue/Black, retired
1998 Z3 2.8 Montreal Blue/Black, retired
Old 02-29-2004, 01:07 PM

26 more days till I leave for Europe and 30 more days till I pick up my new toy! I thought that since I had a shortened wait, it would be easier. In many ways, it has been, especially given the few business trips I took/will take and another weekend trip to see some college friends. But I've caught myself staring at EVERY bimmer out there on the road. Oh...more wait coming after I drop the car off at Harms....