Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 01-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
Salzburg to Fussen via Alpenstrasse?

As I have posted previously, my wife and I are picking up our 545 on April 29th. I am trying to work up an itinerary and travel plan and would like some input from folks who may have gone where I am intending to go.

Our first stop after leaving Munich, on 1st May, will be Salzburg. Getting there is no problem; combination of Autobahn and back-roads should do the trick. I am estimating roughly 2hrs to get there, not including "Kodak moments" and *********s.

The next morning, 2nd May, we are going from Salzburg to Fussen/Schwangau to see Schloss Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. I would like to take the Alpenstrasse at least part of the way and am wondering about how long I can expect it to take. I'd like to be able to make a stop in Garmische, as my father-in-law recommends it as a great little town. Are there any other "don't-miss" stops between Salzburg and Fussen? I haven't read what Rick Steves says about Oberammergau, and I don't even really know if that is on the way or not.

We will take the Romantic Road up to Rothenburg on the 3rd, and that should be easy enough to follow, since apparently the signage for it is excellent. How long, approximately, should it take to complete that leg?

Autobahn back to Munich from Rothenburg on the 4th. Drop off and fly home on the 5th. It's a fairly compressed trip, but we're not trying to be overly-greedy in what we see. I'd love to get up into the Rhine valley, but unless we get to Rothenburg very early, that probably won't be possible.

Anyway, thanks for the advice,
-MrB
Ads by Google
Old 01-09-2004, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: Explorer
Mr. B, I was down that way a few hours ago after picking up my 530. My route took me from Munich South on the A95 (got up to about 95 and was passed easily many times), to Garmisch. That took less than an hour once I got out of Munich. From Garmisch, I backtracked slightly and took the Alpenstrasse from Oberau to the turnoff for Wies. The Wieskirche is a "must see" that I would add to your list since it is on your way. From the Wieskirche I headed down to Fussen which was quite crowded even in a gloomy cold rain. I backtracked again and headed north to Pietling to Route 472 over to Weilheim and then back up to Munich.

Some folks might recognize this as Tour 15 from Frommer's "Germany's Best-Loved Drives" with an extra leg to the Wieskirche and down to Fussen. I would highly recommend this book to you.

As I have visited these places before, I did not stop much. The purpose of my trip was to experience the car on some great roads. So I am not much of a travel guide I'm afraid.

One word of caution. Today, it was rainy and cold. I watched the temp monitor on the dash and it got down to 34 degrees a couple of times but mostly hovered around 36-39. I had to take it easy, especially on the Alpenstrasse between Garmisch and Fussen. I think it is a little warmer than normal here right now. But these conditions might be what you find in April.

In terms of total trip time, for me I did the whole Tour 15 loop+ but drove the whole time without actually "touring" (although I did make a stop at the Wieskirche) in about 5 hours. My hotel (Munich Marriott) is on the North side of Munich so about 1.5 hours of that total was Munich in and out.

By the way, I highly recommend the past tips about Priceline. I got the Mariott here for $65/night (probably could have gone lower). I needed to add a night and the best the hotel could offer me was $119. So I went right back to Priceline and did another reservation for the additional night and they "merged" it into my other reservation here.

P.S. I picked up the "red reflectors" everybody is gnashing their teeth about for the E60 over at a fantastic dealer only about 5 minutes from the ED center. BMW Niederlassung. Again, this was a tip from this board so thanks to all. (p.s. only 12 Euros for the pair, including tax).
Old 01-09-2004, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
It will be a very long day to travel the back roads from Salzburg to Fussen. We did not get to Salzburg (we stayed in Innsbruck as a home base and went to different places from there - wrote a brief travelogue this past summer). We loved the back roads in terms of scenary and tons of quaint towns but getting above 40mph was very rare (due to curves, traffic, animals in road, etc).

You will find that most people's experiences of the Fussen castles are ok but not a highlight. Personally we were disappointed (for more than a 2 hr wait for only a 20min tour didn't seem worth it). We were there in the morning which has less crowds compared to the afternoon - by the time we were leaving (around 2pm) it was a mad-house of tour buses.

As you probably already know, you could do just one of those areas for your entire trip and have a fabulous time - not getting bored and have some spectular (and relaxed) back road trips.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!
Old 01-09-2004, 12:47 PM

Actually, I already bought the Frommer's driving tours book. That plus Rick Steves should do the trick. What I will wind up doing, with the aid of my Nav system, is try to stitch together the tours that go along the Germany/Austria border to get from Salzburg to Fussen. I requested a alpenstrasse brochure from the website, as well as a romantischestrasse one, but I was just trying to get a feel for travel times. I think that we will definitely stop at Wieskirche, since it is almost universally regarded as a "must see." We will leave Salzburg fairly early in the morning, so we'll have a good while to meander over to Fussen. We've already gotten our tickets for the castles, so hopefully that will cut down on some of the delay. Plus, we're staying at Schlosshotel Lisl, which is right there in Schwangau.

We're going end of April/beginning of May, and weather.com says that the average temps range from the low 40's for lows to the low-mid 60's for highs.

Regarding the red reflectors...Is the place you went to the one that everyone talks about on the Frankfurter Ring on the way to the museum and plant? Were they an in-stock item? Did you make arrangements to pick them up or just go to the parts counter? Were there any language difficulties? I have the part numbers, so it should be pretty straightforward if they're in stock.

Oh, I already have my Munich hotel lined up. Munich Marriott through Priceline for $60/night plus tax. Total $76/night. I need to find a hotel in Salzburg and in Rothenburg to round out our lodging arrangements.

Thanks for the advice,
-MrB
Old 01-09-2004, 12:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to BillKach
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk

We will take the Romantic Road up to Rothenburg on the 3rd, and that should be easy enough to follow, since apparently the signage for it is excellent. How long, approximately, should it take to complete that leg?
I did this drive (but starting from Munich) in November and it took me about 5 hours with a couple stops. Although the distance is only about 150 miles - a lot of the Romantische Strasse runs through small towns (a lot of 'em) and you'll probably average 40-50 mph for the day. Rothenburg is definately a must see. If you haven't already - check out my trip report.

2004 545i TiAg/Black/Anthracite, Step, SP (ED 11/03, sold 4/05)
2001 330Cic Steel Blue/Black, retired
1998 Z3 2.8 Montreal Blue/Black, retired

Last edited by BillKach; 01-09-2004 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKach
I did this drive (but starting from Munich) in November and it took me about 5 hours with a couple stops. Although the distance is only about 150 miles - a lot of the Romantische Strasse runs through small towns (a lot of 'em) and you'll probably average 40-50 mph for the day. Rothenburg is definately a must see. If you haven't already - check out my trip report.
I did read it, but I guess I didn't pay as much attention to the trip-times. I'll reread. Even though I still have over 3 months, I'm getting really pumped. Saw a white E60 and a TiAg E60 today and they looked incredible. My wife decided that she likes the Silver Gray over Orient Blue, so I changed that, and added the rear sunshades. The anticipation is killing me. I'm sure it will be even worse waiting for redelivery. If only I could do the Performance Center Delivery for my redelivery...

-MrB
Old 01-09-2004, 02:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to BillKach
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
alpenstrasse

2004 545i TiAg/Black/Anthracite, Step, SP (ED 11/03, sold 4/05)
2001 330Cic Steel Blue/Black, retired
1998 Z3 2.8 Montreal Blue/Black, retired
Old 01-09-2004, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: Explorer
Red Reflectors

Mr. B,

I am not sure whether this particular dealer is the one that has been discussed in the past, however, it is on the Frankfurter Ring and is very close to the ED center so it probably is the same one. Basically, you just drive out of the ED complex, down the Lilienthal alley, take a right onto the Frankfurter Ring, go over the bridge and the dealer is at the second light I believe, the corner of Knorrstrasse and the Frankfurter Ring. When you see the Renault dealer prepare to turn right.

Regarding language issues, I speak extremely mediocre German but I managed to get through with the aid of the "international language" - pointing. They had a 5er nearby so we just walked over there and I showed him what I wanted. They have a whole parts department staffed by a bunch of guys that look like MIT engineers. He called up a schematic of the car on his screen and I saw that he selected the proper part. I did not try to fit it on my car since I was concerned that they might be removed by some overzealous regulations-type upon importation to the US. Here are the part numbers taken from the invoice:

63-14-6-915-039
63-14-6-915-040

One is the left and the other is the right. The description ("bezeichnung") says simply "reflektor". I hope that these agree with the numbers you have or I may have two very nice paperweights here.

They are an in-stock item. You order them at the parts desk, which is to the far right in the back as you walk in past the "information" desk. Then, you go about 40 feet to the left to the "Kasse" counter and pay and they hand you the part about 10 minutes later. While you are waiting, you can look at an amazing supply of BMW merchandise, including even luggage. They have a complete setup of winter tires for each model too. Seems that winter tires are a given in this part of Germany.

The whole process from beginning to end took me about 20 minutes. I went directly there from the ED delivery center. Very painless. I made no special arrangement ahead of time.

You should experience no problems weather-wise considering how late you are going. I am jealous since I really wanted to let loose.

I got the rear sunshade too for the kids. I tried it a few times. I think it is a great convenience. But frankly, I am a bit concerned that this could be a problem-prone item down the road someday. I have not heard about any issues but the angle of the struts that push up the shades seems to be extreme when it first starts and makes me nervous for the future. If it breaks I hope it is within 5 years or 40K miles at least.

Have a great trip. You will not be sorry with your choice of color. I went with the Titanium Silver but I saw another car in what was probably the Silver Grey. Some folks find the silvers/greys to be boring but I think they are very classy. I saw another couple picking up a blue (maybe orient blue) and I was happy with my choice for me at least. To be fair, they seemed very happy with their choice too.

BMWNA will send you a small wallet-sized map with directions to the ED center by car and public transportation. I did the Lufthansa Bus (thanks to this website) for 9 euro and then picked up the U6 subway 4 stops near to the BMW center. Their directions from there are right on. The U-bahn stop is 2 blocks from the Mariott. Only thing is, the "European Delivery" gate is small and the 2-way communication on the intercom is broken at the moment. I stood out there for about 5 minutes before somebody came out. This tiny gate in front of the huge complex reminded me of the beginning of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Once inside, everything went smoothly however. I was surprised at the number of people picking up Minis. They look like fun cars and a fun bunch of folks buying them.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:35 AM

Red Reflectors, etc.

JSG,

Thanks for the information. The part numbers you have are identical to the ones I have (I just got them from a post on RF; that site is good for something, sometimes).

I will definitely stop at that dealership after picking up the car. I also want to look into getting a Euro front license plate holder so I can mount the ED plate when we get the car back. From pics I've seen of ED 5er's, namely BillKach's, they put on a plate holder designed for US plates. Here in Georgia, we don't need the front plates, and all the 5ers I've seen at dealerships have clean front bumpers. I see that you're from VA; does VA require front plates? The brochure pics just show a EU plate itself like it was glued or taped to the front bumper, but I would definitely prefer to screw the plate in to something, just not a US-sized plate holder.

I will probably just take a cab to the delivery center, since there will be two of us with luggage (one of us being female) and after our most recent European Vacation, I've decided I don't want to have to muscle luggage all around.
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Old 01-12-2004, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
mrbelk, I am doing ED and am from Atlanta (near Emory). I am heading over there on March 8-12. Hopefully I'll be able to pass along some good info to you. I'm excited about the trip!
Old 01-14-2004, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i ED
I would look into staying Bertchesgarten instead of Salzburg. It is closer to Eagle's Nest and Koingsee and there are some beautiful resorts there. From there, it is about a 1 day drive. to Fussen. I did it last October and it was absolutely stunning!

As for the front license plate holder, note that the Toursit places are about 2 inches shorter in length than traditional European plates. Thus the plate that comes with the car will not fit the Euro braket perectly.

Quote:
As I have posted previously, my wife and I are picking up our 545 on April 29th. I am trying to work up an itinerary and travel plan and would like some input from folks who may have gone where I am intending to go.

Our first stop after leaving Munich, on 1st May, will be Salzburg. Getting there is no problem; combination of Autobahn and back-roads should do the trick. I am estimating roughly 2hrs to get there, not including "Kodak moments" and *********s.

The next morning, 2nd May, we are going from Salzburg to Fussen/Schwangau to see Schloss Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. I would like to take the Alpenstrasse at least part of the way and am wondering about how long I can expect it to take. I'd like to be able to make a stop in Garmische, as my father-in-law recommends it as a great little town. Are there any other "don't-miss" stops between Salzburg and Fussen? I haven't read what Rick Steves says about Oberammergau, and I don't even really know if that is on the way or not.

Autobahn back to Munich from Rothenburg on the 4th. Drop off and fly home on the 5th. It's a fairly compressed trip, but we're not trying to be overly-greedy in what we see. I'd love to get up into the Rhine valley, but unless we get to Rothenburg very early, that probably won't be possible.

-MrB
Old 01-15-2004, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer4me
I would look into staying Bertchesgarten instead of Salzburg. It is closer to Eagle's Nest and Koingsee and there are some beautiful resorts there. From there, it is about a 1 day drive. to Fussen. I did it last October and it was absolutely stunning!

As for the front license plate holder, note that the Toursit places are about 2 inches shorter in length than traditional European plates. Thus the plate that comes with the car will not fit the Euro braket perectly.
Berchtesgarten, huh? I'll have to look into that. I know for sure that we want to go to Salzburg, but I guess we could leave Salzburg and spend the night in Berchtesgarten. Is it really a whole day's drive to Fussen from there? Do you have any websites or recommendations for hotels in the Konigsee/Berchtesgarten area?

Re. tags: I know that the EU tourist tags are slightly shorter than the regular EU plates and wouldn't fit perfectly, but they would certainly fit the EU bracket better than they would fit the US bracket in that the height will be the same with only some space on either side. I'll have to do a little more research on that, too.

Maybe I should explain better what I am looking for: The US front license plate mount is this big ugly plastic thing screwed into the front bumper that really detracts from the front fascia. I would assume that there is a similar Euro-sized plastic mount that fits into the bumper; but since it's long and skinny, it doesn't hang down into the airdam. I also know that there is this much smaller frame that the euro plate actually clips into that (I assume) is mounted to the plastic euro-sized version of the big, ugly US sized mount. Have I confused everyone? What I am looking for is the long-skinny, euro sized version of the big, ugly US-sized plastic license plate mount.

T-minus 112 days and counting...

-MrB
Old 02-27-2004, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330ia
The eagles nest
www.kehlsteinhaus.de

Choose Kitztbuhel instead of Berchtesgaden
http://www.kitzbuhel.at/english.asp

Another great place to visit in the austrian alps is Zell am See
www.zell.at
wwwzellamsee.at

Gruss gott.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d M Sport
Quote:

-MrB
Hey MrBelk: I have an idea....shall we race each other on the road to Salzburg?? Or, maybe we can just practice passing each other doing 110????

545/ED 4/30/04

Old 02-28-2004, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS545
Hey MrBelk: I have an idea....shall we race each other on the road to Salzburg?? Or, maybe we can just practice passing each other doing 110????

545/ED 4/30/04
You're on. Did you finally get your production #?

-MrB
Old 02-28-2004, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:

-MrB

I think you may be pushing it a bit. Traffic can be sometimes stifling, especially on the weekends. I've lived in Germany and I've been to all of the places that you mentioned several times and they are all worthy, but one can only do so much. If you want to see the castles in Fussen, I suggest you get there early in the morning. The place gets packed. Allow at least a 1/2 day. Same advice for Rothenburg, but there are many cool towns enroute: Dinkelsbuhl, Nordlingen, and a bunch of others. Allow yourself some time to check them out. Salzburg is in the other direction from Munich - you'll need more than 2 hours to get there. Bertechsgaden is really nice and it's right across the border from Salzburg. Lots of Heide-like places to check out. Garmisch and Oberammergau are OK, but with limited time I would put them last on my list of priorities. Forget about the Rhine on this trip. It you want to taste good wine, go to Franconia - a great area not far from Rothenburg around Wurzburg. Iphofen is a great little wine town in that area. Too bad you don't have more time because your itinerary sounds great. I always recommend that you look at what you want to do and then cut it half - you'll have a better time and feel more relaxed, but that's just me. Make reservations now for the tourist towns - most cities have webistes that can accomodate that. Schoene Riese!
Old 02-28-2004, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauzer
I think you may be pushing it a bit. Traffic can be sometimes stifling, especially on the weekends. I've lived in Germany and I've been to all of the places that you mentioned several times and they are all worthy, but one can only do so much. If you want to see the castles in Fussen, I suggest you get there early in the morning. The place gets packed. Allow at least a 1/2 day. Same advice for Rothenburg, but there are many cool towns enroute: Dinkelsbuhl, Nordlingen, and a bunch of others. Allow yourself some time to check them out. Salzburg is in the other direction from Munich - you'll need more than 2 hours to get there. Bertechsgaden is really nice and it's right across the border from Salzburg. Lots of Heide-like places to check out. Garmisch and Oberammergau are OK, but with limited time I would put them last on my list of priorities. Forget about the Rhine on this trip. It you want to taste good wine, go to Franconia - a great area not far from Rothenburg around Wurzburg. Iphofen is a great little wine town in that area. Too bad you don't have more time because your itinerary sounds great. I always recommend that you look at what you want to do and then cut it half - you'll have a better time and feel more relaxed, but that's just me. Make reservations now for the tourist towns - most cities have webistes that can accomodate that. Schoene Riese!
Thanks for all the good advice. We are at T-60 days and counting. I have made all my hotel arrangements:

Munich - Marriott ($76/night on Priceline) - 4/29 and 4/30
Salzburg - Hotel Bayrischer Hof - 5/1
Schwangau - Villa Jagerhaus - 5/2
Rothenburg - Hotel Klosterstuble - 5/3
Munich - Marriott - 5/4

We're confirmed on the 4/30 Munich factory tour at 1:15pm

We've already purchased (online) our tickets for the Fussen castles and are touring them on the 3rd (we arrive in Schwangau on the 2nd, so no time problems there).

Getting more and more pumped every day.

-MrB