Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 528i
what size wheel spacers??

hey guys...ive been reading up all day and ive been coming across different infos which is getting me confused. im picking up a set of 18" style 42, which from the info i got is 18x9 and et24...i may be wrong on the et but thats what i read somewhere...anyways, im gonna mount on 265/40/18 on them all around for driving comfort. so my question is, what size spacers do i need? ive read all kinds from 3mm to 15mm...i was thinking of going 10mm all around...will this be a problem? also, with the 10mm spacers, what length lug bolts will i need?
BMWCCA member #446696
aloha state
Ads by Google
Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
You will get different answers, "search xxx threads" yadda, yadda, yadda.
In my opinion, the best bet is once you get your wheels and the rubbers on, mount them
Then take a tape measure and take measurement from the most outer edge of your tire to the inner edge of the fender wall. The distance will be your spacer thickness.
I am saying this, because some people buy the spacers ahead, then they don't fit, or they are to narrow,
If they don't fit, they have 2 choices: return them for another set at your expense, or: flare the fender.
I have 18" wheels and 245 width tires all around, and they do not touch. I am curious how they will sit once I will lower the car. But this will have to wait until I cross that bridge.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 03-29-2011, 04:39 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: Me - E39 5spd, Wife - E36
OEM are, sty-42 36111094377 e39 8Jx17 ET:20 3-piece

even with after-market 18's i'm not sure why you would want spacers?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the input...yes I'm going to drop it also, so I'm pretty sure the drop will make the tires rub. And also, the wheels I am picking up are 18" not 17"... And from what I've read the 18" are 18x9 et24....

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
BMWCCA member #446696
aloha state
Old 03-29-2011, 05:05 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonem View Post
Thanks for the input...yes I'm going to drop it also, so I'm pretty sure the drop will make the tires rub. And also, the wheels I am picking up are 18" not 17"... And from what I've read the 18" are 18x9 et24....

I had 18" M5 (style-65) wheels with 275/35/18 on the rear and my car is lowered as well with no problems at all.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1525776
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
Thanks for the link... It had a lot of useful info for me.so I decided I will go with 10mm spacers just to give it a little aggressive stance...

BMWCCA member #446696
aloha state
Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Quote:
Thanks for the link... It had a lot of useful info for me.so I decided I will go with 10mm spacers just to give it a little aggressive stance...

Keep us posted. I'm considering spacers as well. The more I look at my setup the more I see how the wheels are inset a bit too much into the wheel well. I would be considering 10 to 15mm spacers, possibly 15 front and 10 rear. My only reservation is getting the longer lugs which will be heavier. Minutely so but still, I like to save weight wherever possible, especially down at the wheels. Keep us posted bro!

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
...My only reservation is getting the longer lugs which will be heavier. Minutely so but still, I like to save weight wherever possible, especially down at the wheels. Keep us posted bro!
How much do the spacers weigh?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Thebizzy.com

Most if not all spacers are aluminum so they weigh very little.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 03-30-2011, 09:54 AM

I ordered ecs 10mm spacers and should get here by Friday... The wheels will be here next week Tuesday along with the shocks and drop springs...and other misc. Goodies... I'll keep you posted when I install the stuff.prolly take a while cause I'll be installing them myself...

BMWCCA member #446696
aloha state
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I'm gonna add this link to the bestlinks so that we have a start on again answering 'what size wheel spacers' ...

If you know of better threads for answering that question than are already in this thread, let me know.

- Choosing the right BMW tire size (1) (2) & tyre circumference, diameter, offset, & clearance calculators (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & a torque conversion calculator (1) & how to logically choose tires by the numbers (1) (2) or by recommendations (1) & where to buy your tires in the USA (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & tire plant codes (1) (2) (3) & tire safety (1) & recommended tire pressures (1) (2) (3) & the claimed benefits of nitrogen gas (1) (2) & tire terminology (1) (2) & wheel terminology (1) & BMW wheel specs (1) & BMW & replica wheel styles (1) (2) (3) (4) & the difference between cast vs forged wheels (1) & where to find the wheel markings for proper match mounting (1) & the best products for cleaning wheels (1) & how to choose the right size wheel spacers (1) (2)

Note: I didn't do the research (as wheel spacers aren't my shtick); so that's why I ask the OP to let me know which links were best from his research so I can add them to the bestlinks for others to stand on his shoulders.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
I ordered ecs 10mm spacers and should get here by Friday... The wheels will be here next week Tuesday along with the shocks and drop springs...and other misc. Goodies... I'll keep you posted when I install the stuff.prolly take a while cause I'll be installing them myself...

That's going to look so good!! Don't forget to take before & after pictures.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Sounds good bee... Although I can't really give accurate info at the moment, until my parts do come in, but I have to say that the first link posted by champain gave me a rough idea of which way I should be headed as the link had the wheels I am going to mount...but well see what happens in 2 weeks or so.and yes, I will try my best to take clear pics of the install and before and after pics...thanks for the help guys

BMWCCA member #446696
aloha state
Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
This Works

These numbers work, so you can extrapolate from here...275s on 18x9s, w/ ET24, 10mm spacers on front, no spacers on rear.

H&R hub-centric spacers are best spacers on the market, and they come with the proper length lugs.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 03-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Thebizzy.com

Hmm good call. TMS has the whole lot of 'em here http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...l-spacers.aspx

I don't want to give up my tuner lugs though. I may just get the spacers and get extended tuner lug bolts.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Hmm good call. TMS has the whole lot of 'em here http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...l-spacers.aspx

I don't want to give up my tuner lugs though. I may just get the spacers and get extended tuner lug bolts.
Yeah your tuner lugs are nice. Not the type you see in most cars... I was thinking if getting a set

BMWCCA member #446696
aloha state
Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 PM

So I came home and this was at my door

The last pic is the shadowline rear bumper moldings...
That was hella quick! I just ordered these yesterday morning. Eac is on top of their game! Now I'm just waiting fir the drop springs, rotors and the style 42's....

BMWCCA member #446696
aloha state
Old 03-30-2011, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
There are a lot of variables with selecting spacers. 10mm should work fine, but you will probably need to have the rear fenders rolled.

I have stock, staggered style 66 wheels in 8x17 and 9x17, with 235/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear. With a mild drop using Bilstein B14 PSS coilovers I had no rubbing anywhere. After installing 15mm H&R spacers, I had very light rubbing of the rear fenders when going fast up an incline, from flat...like the start of a hill. I had to be going quickly, to compress the rear, but the fenders would lightly touch the outside edge of the rear tires. I had the rear fenders rolled at a race shop for $100 and no more rubbing.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
There are a lot of variables with selecting spacers. 10mm should work fine, but you will probably need to have the rear fenders rolled.

I have stock, staggered style 66 wheels in 8x17 and 9x17, with 235/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear. With a mild drop using Bilstein B14 PSS coilovers I had no rubbing anywhere. After installing 15mm H&R spacers, I had very light rubbing of the rear fenders when going fast up an incline, from flat...like the start of a hill. I had to be going quickly, to compress the rear, but the fenders would lightly touch the outside edge of the rear tires. I had the rear fenders rolled at a race shop for $100 and no more rubbing.
The wheel's ET is critical in determining the spacer thickness. They are both speced in mm.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Thebizzy.com

Is there a chart or formula somewhere that will help determine which size spacers are best for specific offsets?

Old 03-31-2011, 04:17 PM

I think it would be hard to make one...most of it will be based on personal preference, and vary from person to person...

BMWCCA member #446696
aloha state
Old 04-01-2011, 09:32 PM

The wheel spacers (10mm) came in today. Came with extended bolts.

Also ordered a oil filter cap socket and got a wrong item. I asked for a BMW scan reset tool but I got sent a vw/Audi scan tool. Lol I think it's pretty funny that it's called a vagcheckerpro... I think a gynecologist invented it

Oh and yesterday this came in

It's pretty nice. A little confusing to navigate at first though, but looks okay in the car.

Before

After

Now just waiting for the wheels... Should be in by Tuesday

BMWCCA member #446696
aloha state
Old 04-02-2011, 06:04 AM
Thebizzy.com

Dang, I want to know more about how well the Dynavin performs. There is almost nothing out here for E39's. Start a thread and let us know if it's worth a $hit!!!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 PM

Mack, I'll try it out the whole week and find pros and cons I have with the dynavin. So far I only have a few complaints... Mostly the iPod functions, but yeah I'll make a thread next week...

BMWCCA member #446696
aloha state