Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 730i
HI EVERYONE NEW TO THIS SITE, I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY 730i 2003 I took it to mechanich he tolld me there is a problem with manifold sensor condensation then he chainge to new part but problem still there even wors now then two days later there a singe appered on my dashboard saing Drive Moderlatley exalaration can damegde I cant remeber the rest, anybady can help
Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 540i 760li M109 Rm1500
Finally good news. Monday I decided to really look at the ignition system to figure out why the misfire in cylinder 2 remained. I took my multimeter and probed the connection wire that connects to the coil for cylinder #2. The brw wire is ground, the green wire is a steady 12 vlt supply and the red wire is a pulsating ground of 2-3 vlts from the (ECM) Electronic control module. I was not getting a pultsating return voltage from the red wire. Both have to work because a fault at either these two circuits will create a misfire. Make sure your coil and spark plug are good. I then disconected my ECM for 10 min then reconnected everything. Then before cranking it, I scanned it with my scanner code reader one more time and cleared the misfire fault code in cyclinder 2. Then started it up and that did it, fixed at last. Took it for a long test drive around town, over bridges to put a heavy load test on the engine and it passed the test. I should have did all this at first before going to the stealership BMW dealer. They got me for $1300.00. They ran dianostic, then asked me did I change the profile gaskets when changing the plugs. That cost me $1300 for nothing. They new what was wrong with my car but wanted to keep mis-leading the real issue just to get more money out of me. They even suggested tearing the engine down again to check the vanois valve or something. Then said if that was not the problem they would charge me to put it back together, another $800 bucks. I hope this is helpful to you and all others with simular issues.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: ;D
What a bunch of scumbags.
What dealership was this?

It seems coils and plugs have been the leading cause aside from the vacuum leaks.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 760, BMW 740
I am not sure about the statement "slightly similar". The part numbers for the intermediate shafts and rockers are the same.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 760LI
I finally got my car back from the Mechanic (up in Seattle), after years sitting in the garage after Salem BMW dealer broke it really good and charged me 5500 dollars for doing so. It was 1500 for the job and I was impressed that these people know more than the BMW dealer. Originally I drove the car to the Salem Oregon dealer, years ago, with cylinders misfiring but running, then I tow it out of the dealer after replacing injectors and timing check; they failed to return the old injectors. After sitting at the shop in Seattle for two months, after being repaired, it gave another failure code, Valvetronic failure, but I still drove it from Seattle to Corvallis and thinking in driving it a little to burn some gas and let the engine really do some work. Will take it back to the shop later for analyzing this failure. In the mean time, thanks for the valuable information and I will post exactly what they did as soon as I find it.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: e66 & e38 and e39
I am still trying to solve this issue.

Did you say you disconnected your ECM and left it for 10 minutes. Did you disconnect battery prior to doing this or just remove the ECM connector?

Since you have six months of driving now, did this solve the issue permanately.

Do you have diagnostic software you use that has worked on the 760?

Thanks for the post and responding here.

E.

In houston it got too hot to keep messing with this. The dealer has no clue.

760LI main
740il and 540I sport are backup toys!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 760i / 545i / 750iL
760i rough running fuel injector failure

I have had at at least 3 injectors fail over the last two years. It seems strange but maybe a weak link for the v-12 injectors? So upon teh most recent failure, I replaced all remaining original injectors on one bank of cylinders. The check engine cleared as soon as i started it with the new injectors installed. If any of the remaining original injectors happen to fail in the future, then I plan to replace all remaining original injectors. A pain in the ass job but I am getting pretty proficient at pulling everything apart at this point. If any of teh new injectors fail I will have to think that there may be something else that is causing teh failure, but so far everything continues to run well.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: e66 & e38 and e39
How did you know the injector failed? What was the diagnostic process to get there?

760LI main
740il and 540I sport are backup toys!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 760i / 545i / 750iL
In this latest case with cylinder #5 misfire, I was able to replace the coil without removing the air intake. Note that in my case the misfire created significant vibration and was a steady misfire. Coupled with several pat injector failures and ruling out the coil, I assumed the injector was bad.

Previously, I did monitor the short term and long term fuel mixture and it looked like the computer was trying to enrichen the mixture which helped verify that the injector had likely failed. If it was a coil issue, I would expect that the oxygen sensors would pick up the rich condition.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
remove the vent lines to the purge valves on the drivers side and check for raw fuel.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Gadget760Li

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadget760Li
Mein Auto: BMW 760Li
Matzan

I have just come across your post and it kind of looks similar to my problems I was having ish. If you haven't fixed your car yet just take a look at one of my posts " Car cuts out " and what my dealer found was the fault it saved me a lot of money when I thought it was the high pressure fuel pumps. I have photographed the invoices with what they found and posted it on the site. If you haven't found a solution hope this is useful to you.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: Everything
My 2006 760i goes in this week to the Rochester dealer for the same issue. I only have 50K miles on the car and bought it with a rough running condition. I replaced all the plugs and coils and I thought it was ok for a while. Took it on a trip out west and it got really bad. Took it to a dealer out west and they changed the differential pressure sensor in the intake and the car ran amazingly well. Could not beleive how well it ran after that. Now a 1000 miles later it's back to rough again.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Gadget760Li

N900WM

When you say your car is running rough what is happening? Does the engine management light come on when you start up, does the car cut out, does it idle rough or is it just intermittent? Before I owned my 760Li I had a 745i which I brought brought rough running at first it was coming up as the coil packs but every time they changed them a few days later the problem would come back. Finally I took it to BMW main dealer and it was some breather thing that when they disconnected something(s) from the top of the engine it ran perfect even if the engine management light came on (but i was going to drive around like that forever).
Anyway it cost £2500 to fix and only BMW was able to do it the car perfect after that. I'll get back onto BMW and find out if I can what they done.
Good luck with your motor
Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Gadget760Li

P.S. Keep us informed what they find and don't let them charge you for constant diagnostics on your car. My dealership worked it out that they have a certain time allocated to fix pre booked cars and most times fixed them in less of the time so the rest of the allocated time added up was spent on my car at NO cost and we came to this arrangement after they found out they would have to spend a while investigating the fault because it never produced a fault code. So when they actually found the fault the money clock started to tick.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 AM

Well, it's changed as time goes on.
At first, it would idle rough and then smooth out once it warmed up. Now it just runs rough all the time.
No CEL lights at all. Ever.

Car goes in 1st thing in the morning. It still has BMW warranty on it so I should be free from being raped monetarily.
I was pretty nervous that they would not be able to find the issue but it sounds like they fixed Matzans car and it's the same dealer. Hopefully experience saves the day.
Will advise.
Thanks!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Gadget760Li

Ok good luck
Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzan View Post
• Initially starting the cold engine results in what seems like a higher RPM for a minute (1300 RPM). The idle settles down and seems to run smooth and O2 readings seem to cycle normal.
• As soon as you take it above idle, the engine stumbles and misfires significantly. The engine speed is unstable and difficult to hold steady. O2 readings increase to around 0.75.
• Revving the engine up and down seems to stabilize the O2 readings with readings near zero and as high as 0.6.
• Whenever you let the car return to idle it seems to run much better but maybe not perfect.
• Recently seems much worse when it is cold but gets a little better as the engine warms up but never runs correct.
• When driving you can feel a slight hesitation when taking off from a stop as well as subtle hesitation / surging when driving. Throttle response is poor requiring heavier throttle to accelerate. Mileage seems low. Exhaust temperature at the tailpipe seems very hot.
• Spark plugs changed and all looked equal in color but were dark. Both primary O2 sensors were black. Strong revving of the engine results in a small amount of soot coming out of the tailpipe with the water vapor (no smoke at all, just minor soot).
• The intake valves have some discoloration but no coke buildup.
• All intake manifold gaskets were resealed.
• A “P301 Pending” Code exists. The spark plugs and #1 coil have been replaced.
• Exhaust backpressure was measured on bank 1 with less than 1 psi measured up to 3000 RPM.
• Some oil residue found in intake system. Both crankcase pressure control valves have been replaced.
• The engine never stalls. Full throttle acceleration seems OK (strong) but hard to say if it runs perfect.

The dealer wants to dissesemble the motor and look at both the eccentric shafts for big $. It does not make sense to me. Any Ideas?
my friend i had similar problems,but multiple misfires cylinder # 1,5,6 also fuel cut off on 2 of them and idle was horrible,also p0301,p0305etc....it happened on my 02 e39....i took the valve cover off and found valve cover it self had cracks in it since its made from plastic,and who ever did the vcg previously overtightened the bolts,so that was vacuum leak right there.....so instead of buying new valve cover for 200+ from dealer,i sand it down,used jb weld...and that was it...but i also had to change the osv,since that was a big vacuum leak too...
all together i had 14+ codes,stating misfires,fuel cut off etc etc..after i fixed the cracks on valve cover,osv kit....0 codes and sold the e39 for 9500 cash with 190k+ miles on it
Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 AM

Been there with my E39's as well. Much easier to work on than this big 12 banger.
I see your from Slovakia originally...I had some great times in Slovakia!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N900WM View Post
Been there with my E39's as well. Much easier to work on than this big 12 banger.
I see your from Slovakia originally...I had some great times in Slovakia!
those 12 cylinders is just 2x inline 6 but space is tight you are right/ twice as expensive to maintain ehh

btw which part of Slovakia did you visit??? im from eastern part about 12km from Kosice...but havent been home since 00
Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Bratislava, Kosice and Bidovce. Did some training with Slovak bred German Shepherd dogs. Awesome trip.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM

Im glad you like our country....its small but beautiful..lots of history,castles,mountains and good people...
btw my friend he is top breeder/trainer of german shepperds in eastern slovakia.....he sold one to steven seagall....and military/police all around the world...one puppie 12k and up
Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 PM

So car is at dealer and they tell me that it's carbon on the intake valves that's causing the rough running condition.
I don't buy it. I can't fathom how carbon could cause random misfires. If a valve is carboned up then it should cause a misfire on that cylinder everytime. Nor woould a ECU reset callow the car to run properly.
How is it that direct injected engines are getting carbon build up? I'm sure there is some reversion to the intake system but it seems odd.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Gadget760Li

You did say you have a 760i I had some advice from someone on here about carbon build up to do with 760s. I've pasted it below the dealer may be right. Don't know if you looked at my post car cuts out but it was kind of similar and this friendly advice below also after I got it fixed. I posted the diagnostic papers which my dealer found also and the fix. Hope this helps.

Depending on your mileage you probably have carbon buildup on your valves and injectors also, any 760 with over 50k miles will , I've had the intakes off 3 with 50-70k miles on them and carbon buildup due to the direct injection is really bad, if you want to prevent you're injectors from failing in the future you should do a fuel injection or induction cleaning every 15-20 k miles, that goes for anyone with an N73 760.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:19 PM

Great advise! My car has 53K on it and yes a 760i.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: E66 760, E38 750, E34 540
Here is mine I just acquired at 78K miles

A 2003 760Li. Read some horror stories about carbon buildup and decided to check the
condition of the intake valves. No idle issues but a slight hesitation on setting off from 1st
gear in comparison to my E38 750.

The carboned up pic is from one of the four cylinders closest to the firewall whereas the dryer-looking grey filmed intake valve are representative of the front cylinders closest to the
PCV/pressure valve.

I am picking up some walnut shells and a media blaster later today and hope to begin blasting later this week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	140.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	339259

Click image for larger version

Name:	281.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	339260