Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: Everything
Update:
The car never really went back to running properly. In fact, it started quitting out of the blue and would not run worth a $hit. I have been to busy to mess with it so it's been sitting. Took it to the dealer and of course it ran perfectly.
They tell me both high pressure fuel pumps are AFU. Replacing all under warranty. Said the injectors were suspect too so those are now new. Glad I went for the warranty!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 760 and 330xi
gregs76alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawandorder39 View Post
Finally good news. Monday I decided to really look at the ignition system to figure out why the misfire in cylinder 2 remained. I took my multimeter and probed the connection wire that connects to the coil for cylinder #2. The brw wire is ground, the green wire is a steady 12 vlt supply and the red wire is a pulsating ground of 2-3 vlts from the (ECM) Electronic control module. I was not getting a pultsating return voltage from the red wire. Both have to work because a fault at either these two circuits will create a misfire. Make sure your coil and spark plug are good. I then disconected my ECM for 10 min then reconnected everything. Then before cranking it, I scanned it with my scanner code reader one more time and cleared the misfire fault code in cyclinder 2. Then started it up and that did it, fixed at last. Took it for a long test drive around town, over bridges to put a heavy load test on the engine and it passed the test. I should have did all this at first before going to the stealership BMW dealer. They got me for $1300.00. They ran dianostic, then asked me did I change the profile gaskets when changing the plugs. That cost me $1300 for nothing. They new what was wrong with my car but wanted to keep mis-leading the real issue just to get more money out of me. They even suggested tearing the engine down again to check the vanois valve or something. Then said if that was not the problem they would charge me to put it back together, another $800 bucks. I hope this is helpful to you and all others with simular issues.
When you disconected the ECM did you have to disconect the battery first? I want to try this but am wondering if I will lock up my radio and lose information on my electronic key fob.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:20 AM

Mine is still AFU and is back at the dealer.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 760i
I am there with you on my 2004 760i with 86K miles. Dealer says HPFP on bank1 needs replaced and they are certain that the HPFP on bank 2 will fail, too. $8,000 to replace both. No warranty. I have owned the car 6 weeks and put less than 150 miles on it. Too darned unsafe to drive because of the stalling that occurs without notice. At least you have the warranty. Be thankful for that.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbolin@me.com View Post
I am there with you on my 2004 760i with 86K miles. Dealer says HPFP on bank1 needs replaced and they are certain that the HPFP on bank 2 will fail, too. $8,000 to replace both. No warranty. I have owned the car 6 weeks and put less than 150 miles on it. Too darned unsafe to drive because of the stalling that occurs without notice. At least you have the warranty. Be thankful for that.
I feel for you Brother. These cars are great until...
I have an extended 3/36K and once I'm close to the end...it's gone. No choice. I won't be able to afford it.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E66 760, E38 750, E34 540
If anyone does pay to have the HPFP replaced on the N73s, please request to keep your old ones so that someone
or a shop can have a look to see what failed inside the pump. Unless they cut you a discount on the replacement HPFP,
there is no reason they should keep the old ones.