Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: USA
Front Licence Plate mount options

Personally, I don't really mind sporting a front plate on my cars, but on my 2011 30i, I don't much care for 2 things. 1) the way it slightly obscures the bottom of the kidney grills, and 2) the way the plate is angled slightly downward. Does anyone know of any alternate plate mount that can be centrally mounted (I don't want a tow hook mounted side plate) that will be located slightly lower than the grill and be angled slightly upward more?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Never let the dealer mount your frt plate bracket. I mounted mine myself so it does not cover the lower portion of the grills after I had the frt & rear painted to match. The black plastic is so tacky.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Never let the dealer mount your frt plate bracket. I mounted mine myself so it does not cover the lower portion of the grills after I had the frt & rear painted to match. The black plastic is so tacky.

Looks much better than mine. Just had my front bumper replaced when repairs were done but didn't catch them soon enough to avoid the bumper being drilled, Grrrrr.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 3.0i, 2003 325iT
Quote:
Nice, HerrK! I like that Care to share approx cost of painting the brackets?, I understand the plastic might be tricky to paint because of it's flexible nature.

2011 E89 Z4 30i Crimson over Ivory (Munich delivery, redelivery at Performance Center), Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring Oxford Green over Sand

Last edited by TeeZee; 03-30-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=TeeZee;5958433]
Quote:

Nice, HerrK! I like that Care to share approx cost of painting the brackets?, I understand the plastic might be tricky to paint because of it's flexible nature.
Cost me $120 for F&R. A little steep IMO, but he did a nice job sanding and smoothing out the plastic orange peel finish. My SA recommended a shop they use. Looks as smooth as the bumpers, so far nearing 10K and no paint problems. Not much difference between painting plastic or bumpers - proper prep and add flex agent. Much easier to clean and they blend in nicely. The E46's used to come stock with painted frames. Now like so many other things we have to pay extra.

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 28i
Nice job mounting the front plate HerrK. Looks great! Much much better than the black plastic.
2008 335i Convertible Space Gray (retired)
Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 AM

Any other ideas? Yup, it looks great, but there must be at least one other forum member that has another idea?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Heres an thought. Go to your dealer, ask him to give you a set of F&R plate mtg frames (or buy them if he's too tight). Get them painted to match. Take off the ugly high mounted front bracket and drill two more small holes (no larger in dia than 1/16") and locate them lower so your plate will mount below the kidneys. You already have 4 holes courtesy of the dealer. Two more small holes where the sun will never shine will not hurt anything. Remount your frame using two of the existing screws. Your plate bracket will cover the existing dealer installed holes. Two srews will hold sufficiently. Aerodynamic loading is only 7-8 lbs total on the plate @ 140 mph. I've road tested mine to 120 mph. Remove & replace the rear braket and now you have no more worries.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeart View Post
Any other ideas? Yup, it looks great, but there must be at least one other forum member that has another idea?

This is after the fact and won't help you but might help others.

Here is a link to how I installed front license plate without holes in bumper with inexpensive cable ties on my new 2014 X1 xDrive28i.

http://www.bmwfrontlicenseplate.tumblr.com/
Old 07-14-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeart View Post
Bumper plugs for the previously drilled holes and no front plate. I have driven a Z4 like that for 8 years and only gotten one ticket for no front plate. It was the price of doing business and well worth not having that ugly front plate.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i