Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 95 M3 (just sold)
M3--to CPO or not CPO

Hi,

I know that this is the eternal question so I apologize in advance for asking it once again based on a specific situation.

Looking at an M3 Sedan, with 3 different options in particular. A 2008 CPO with mid-20's for mileage; an 08 non-CPO from a BMW dealer with upper teens for mileage; and an 09 non-CPO from a non-BMW dealer. The 09 has just over 10k miles and was a "manufacturer car."

The 09 is $56k; the 08 non-CPO is $47k, the 08 CPO is $49.5k. Option packages are all very similar although the 09 does have the double clutch option.

I guess the eternal question is the value of the CPO? Is it particularly important on an M3 that likely was driven a little more aggressively than another BMW Sedan? Do you stay away from the pre-owned from the non-BMW dealer? Should the fact that the 09 was a BMW Manufacturers car scare the heck out of me?

I know that I could avoid all this going new, but the $20k savings over new is a big factor in my eyes.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2011, 02:27 PM
sheriff of nothingham

Mein Auto: 08 m5
i would never own one of these cars off warranty. period. doesn't matter what its history is. why don't you lease? i think if you do the math of the depreciation, you'll find that your per year cost on a new one on a lease will be hardly greater, and maybe less than a 50ish k used one. especially if said used one spends any time out of warranty.
08 m5 Space Gray . black perf merino leather . ventilated seats . smg . fold down rear seats . soft close automatic doors . sat radio . enhanced premium sound . heads up display . comfort access . heated rear seats . aluminum trim . sunshades . gas guzzler tax
Old 03-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 95 M3 (just sold)
Thanks for the feedback. I guess my basis was that I got 15 good years out of my 95 M3 Coupe. I really didn't run into anything significant over the first 10 years of ownership. As a result I hadn't really looked too deeply into the leasing a new M3. I had looked at other BMW models (550i RWD for example) but I can't seem to get the M3 bug out of my system.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 PM
sheriff of nothingham

i think the current cars are a whole other level of potential expense than your e36 m3. another ballgame. easy to verify this if you check out some of the boards and talk to some reputable repair shops. honestly, i think the subsidized leases (the verts are stupid cheap right now) are the best thing since sliced bread on these incredibly complex and expensive cars. unless you want to make a modder hobby out of one of these cars, i say lease new, give it back, walk away, start over
08 m5 Space Gray . black perf merino leather . ventilated seats . smg . fold down rear seats . soft close automatic doors . sat radio . enhanced premium sound . heads up display . comfort access . heated rear seats . aluminum trim . sunshades . gas guzzler tax
Old 03-30-2011, 03:43 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroM3 View Post
the 08 non-CPO is $47k, the 08 CPO is $49.5k.
For $2.5K the CPO is a no-brainer. That's only $1,250 for every year and every 25K miles of additional warranty. NTM it will really help resale down the road.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: Off-Brand
Before you go with the CPO car, see how much the equivalent BMW Extended Service Contract costs on the non-CPO car. The cost typically isn't that much more less than a grand) and the non-CPO ESC covers your car much more closely to the way the original mfr warranty does; extremly important on higher-end/more well-equipped BMWs.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM
sheriff of nothingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonCA View Post
Before you go with the CPO car, see how much the equivalent BMW Extended Service Contract costs on the non-CPO car. The cost typically isn't that much more less than a grand) and the non-CPO ESC covers your car much more closely to the way the original mfr warranty does; extremly important on higher-end/more well-equipped BMWs.
i thought the bmw extended service contract was only available to the original owner. am i thinking of another plan?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcon View Post
i thought the bmw extended service contract was only available to the original owner. am i thinking of another plan?
That used to be the case ("2OP"). No longer. Now BMW plans are broken down into Powertrain+, Gold and Platinum - the latter two can be purchased by any owner until 45 months or 45K miles from the in-service date, IIRC.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
That used to be the case ("2OP"). No longer. Now BMW plans are broken down into Powertrain+, Gold and Platinum - the latter two can be purchased by any owner until 45 months or 45K miles from the in-service date, IIRC.
True. The Gold plan is the CPO coverage.

Cost is about 4-5k as I recall, BMW has different 'classes' and I'd assume the M3, M5 fall into the top.

It has been posted here and elsewhere
Old 03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
sheriff of nothingham

thanks for the info!