Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-30-2011, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i _+_ 1997 740i
Exclamation 'Dirt' Inside Valve Cover -- 2007 335i

Hi all, I'm about to buy another 2007 335i used -- the first one is great!

Everything checks out functionally, fluids are good, lines straight (on body), good tires and wheels, very good suspension and steering, clean interior. It does not accelerate as quickly as mine (this one is for my wife) but I think mine had been chipped and has not had the TSB re-flash while the one under consideration has been re-flashed by the dealer.

One thing I do when considering a car is to swipe my finger around inside the valve cover and see what comes out. In this case, on the inside top of the cover was some oil with a 'grainy' quality. I wiped my finger on a white paper napkin and actually some some specks about half to a millimeter in size. Not sure what is going on here -- is it dirty oil that has dried? Or byproducts of combustion mixed with the oil? Is this normal?

I've heard of people cleaning their valves, and saw a picture where the valve stems and springs were crusted over pretty well with some sort of partly dried accumulate, aggregation, crystals or something. I am short on time and capital to have the engine inspected thoroughly. The car is CPO'd by BMW, but I'm buying it from a private seller.

Any suggestions about what I found with the dirt inside the valve cover, or other warnings, things to look for, or information I should know about a 60,000 mile car with a CPO sold by a private seller?

Thanks,

Tim
Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Wow, solids inside the valve cover. Not good. The worst you should see is some sludgey stuff, but nothing particulate. This would greatly concern me. The origin of the stuff must be inside the valve cover because it sure couldn't have come up the oil galleys, to do that it would have to have gotten past the oil filter and you would have spun a bearing a long time ago. What it could be I don't know.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 a4 2.0T titanium 6sp
it may just be carbon build up my man
Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznuts View Post
How does carbon get under the valve cover?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Quote:
injectors have nothing to do with the fuel pump...the first thing to break after the fuel pump failure would most likely be the camshaft i believe
i smell troll.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 03-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
i smell troll.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i _+_ 1997 740i
Followup

Thanks for info and such. The seller mentioned he'd run over a branch in the car which punched the transmission pan and shattered it. Wow, what an omission on the eve of buying the car.

Talking about it more, it turns out that he [claims that he] took the car to the local BMW dealer. His service agent guided him to have the job done by a local body shop. Yes, there was some front bumper damage apparently. The body shop also repaired the transmission.

(Um, ok, uh, is this how BMW normally services insurance repairs? Did they really do the tranny part?)

Oh, yes, he had to wait 3 extra days for the body shop to borrow the machine that replaces the transmission fluid from BMW, and get it over to their shop. (Most dealers offer this to independent shops, right? Or wait, it's NO dealers do this.)

So, I asked to see the receipt for the repairs...it only shows a dollar amount, no list of repairs and no shop name. (Nothing fishy there.) So I tried to talk to the service agent at the BMW dealer. Nope, he's been gone for a while and everyone at the Dealer is too busy to come to the phone except the main receptionist (this dealer gets 2 out of 5 stars for user satisfaction everywhere I looked.)

On the whole the car had too many question marks for me. It was a 2007 335i with under 60kmi and CPO @ under $24k -- on the surface, an excellent, almost unbelievable deal for a civilian. There remained the question of whether the BMW CPO warranty remains valid after major work (transmission repair, extent unspecified) was performed by a presumably un-authorized shop, a body shop at that!

Buyer beware....
Old 04-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenOx View Post
Thanks for info and such. The seller mentioned he'd run over a branch in the car which punched the transmission pan and shattered it. Wow, what an omission on the eve of buying the car.

Talking about it more, it turns out that he [claims that he] took the car to the local BMW dealer. His service agent guided him to have the job done by a local body shop. Yes, there was some front bumper damage apparently. The body shop also repaired the transmission.

(Um, ok, uh, is this how BMW normally services insurance repairs? Did they really do the tranny part?)

Oh, yes, he had to wait 3 extra days for the body shop to borrow the machine that replaces the transmission fluid from BMW, and get it over to their shop. (Most dealers offer this to independent shops, right? Or wait, it's NO dealers do this.)

So, I asked to see the receipt for the repairs...it only shows a dollar amount, no list of repairs and no shop name. (Nothing fishy there.) So I tried to talk to the service agent at the BMW dealer. Nope, he's been gone for a while and everyone at the Dealer is too busy to come to the phone except the main receptionist (this dealer gets 2 out of 5 stars for user satisfaction everywhere I looked.)

On the whole the car had too many question marks for me. It was a 2007 335i with under 60kmi and CPO @ under $24k -- on the surface, an excellent, almost unbelievable deal for a civilian. There remained the question of whether the BMW CPO warranty remains valid after major work (transmission repair, extent unspecified) was performed by a presumably un-authorized shop, a body shop at that!

Buyer beware....
You were right in walking away from that deal, I would have run away!