Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: FJ Cruiser
opening top with remote

Does anyone know how to open/close the top using just the remote? My sales person showed me, but i've since forgot and cant figure it out....
Ads by Google
Old 04-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 335i AT; '14 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakePlease View Post
Does anyone know how to open/close the top using just the remote? My sales person showed me, but i've since forgot and cant figure it out....
One should ready the book carefully. Or not carefully. But read the book.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:30 AM

Mein Auto: SDrive23i Z4
Just hold the unlock button down when outside and the top will go down. You can only put it up with the remote if you have comfort access. The rest of us mere mortals that don't have CA need to put it back up again from inside the car.

Last edited by Stafainn; 04-01-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:45 AM

Mein Auto: Sdrive23i Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafainn View Post
Just hold the unlock button down when outside and the top will go down. You can only put it up with the remote if you have comfort access. The rest of us mere mortals that don't have CA need to put it back up again from inside the car.
Furthermore to Stafainn's post, if you don't have comfort access it is possible to close the top from outside the car by using the key and holding it to the left in the lock - saves getting back inside if tight on door space etc..

Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: USA
Main reason why I got CA..

Last edited by supremeart; 04-01-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35iS
CA... I 'has' it but never tried it. Perhaps if the sun ever re-appears I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW Z4 30i
No CA

Can I put the top down using the remote without the CA option in the US version? Tried many times to open the top using the open button on the remote but doesn't work. The trunk partition is set correctly and all doors are closed. Can anyone shed some light?
Old 05-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Closing the top from outside the car via comfort access is not as great as it sounds. At least not when the car also has an alarm. I set off the alarm about 80% of the time rather than invoking the close roof functionality. This is so frustrating that I have mostly given up even using this feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafainn View Post

2010 sDrive35i Sapphire black, beige leather, premium, sport, 19" wheels, premium sound, nav, cold, comfort access, alarm, smartphone, 6 speed manual
2006 530xiT Wagon, Monaco Blue/black, premium, cold, PDC, Logic 7, Comfort Access, rear shades

BMW CCA Member# 164977
Old 05-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeeptempalli View Post
Can I put the top down using the remote without the CA option in the US version? Tried many times to open the top using the open button on the remote but doesn't work. The trunk partition is set correctly and all doors are closed. Can anyone shed some light?
Yes, can open or close. But there is one thing that really sucks, also a reason why people often report setting off the panic feature of the alarm inadvertently. Seems that you can lock and unlock the doors (disarming and arming the alarm as well) from up to 10 or 15 feet away in any direction, but to open or close the roof using the remote, you need to not only be about 3 or 4 feet from the car, you also have to be somewhere near the rear half of the car. Very strange, but true if you ask around.

I think that maybe there is a different sensor for roof activation than for door locks and alarm? Odd, but all I can think of as being the reason..
Old 05-29-2011, 03:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW Z-4 35 i
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeart View Post
Yes, can open or close. But there is one thing that really sucks, also a reason why people often report setting off the panic feature of the alarm inadvertently. Seems that you can lock and unlock the doors (disarming and arming the alarm as well) from up to 10 or 15 feet away in any direction, but to open or close the roof using the remote, you need to not only be about 3 or 4 feet from the car, you also have to be somewhere near the rear half of the car. Very strange, but true if you ask around.

I think that maybe there is a different sensor for roof activation than for door locks and alarm? Odd, but all I can think of as being the reason..

Exactly- be behind he door of he car or it wont work most of the time - keep holding he fob button and the windows will close too - (its already locked, when you start he process)
Old 06-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i, 2011 Z4 35is
Quote:
Yes, can open or close.
He was asking about opening WITHOUT the CA option, I think you have CA. Does anybody know the answer to the question about opening the roof in the US without the CA option?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjarne View Post
He was asking about opening WITHOUT the CA option, I think you have CA. Does anybody know the answer to the question about opening the roof in the US without the CA option?
I misread. No you can't. That was the whole reason I got CA because without, you can't open or close from outside the car, well, other than by using the key in the door lock, you can open or close that way without CA, but not by using the remote...
Old 06-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i, 2011 Z4 35is
Quote:
I misread. No you can't. That was the whole reason I got CA because without, you can't open or close from outside the car, well, other than by using the key in the door lock, you can open or close that way without CA, but not by using the remote...
That is what I am starting to believe, I did not get CA since I have read that you could open it (but not close) which is all I wanted. Unfortunately, all the post saying that you CAN seem to be from the UK, so there might be a difference between US and non-US operation