Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 04-18-2002, 08:53 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Damn it. Topaz Curse struck again

Driving to work this morning on the 10 E freeway I heard this loud "thwack!" and immediately know that my tax return this year is going to be just that much smaller. A rock has hit my windshield at speed in excess of 85mph. I did a quick glance of the windshield and did not notice any chips or cracks, so I thought the rock had glanced off the windshield and no harm, no foul.

Got to work, looked around the car and discovered a small crater on the windshield the size of my pinky tips with a small puncture the size of a pin hole. No repairing this one...Definately will have to get my windshield replaced. HOPEFULLY whoever Savage BMW recommended (Stargone or something like that) will do a good job taking care of it. Time to call my insurance agent.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2002, 08:56 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Why would it cost you anything?

We had to replace the windshield on my wife's E36 a few months back after a large rock hit it and a crack spanned the width of the windshield within hours.

Our insurance (State Farm) put us in touch with a glass company that came out to our house and replaced the windshield with OEM BMW glass the next day.

No charge, no deductible, totally free.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:59 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by TD
Why would it cost you anything?

We had to replace the windshield on my wife's E36 a few months back after a large rock hit it and a crack spanned the width of the windshield within hours.

Our insurance (State Farm) put us in touch with a glass company that came out to our house and replaced the windshield with OEM BMW glass the next day.

No charge, no deductible, totally free.
I think I have a $250 deductible. Not 100% certain, I remember the last time we renewed the policy the difference was like $5 a month so I took it off, but it's been so long my memory is a bit hazy...It could have been my folk's policy that I reduced to $0 deductible.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:03 AM
Crazy Canadian

Mein Auto: '01 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally posted by The HACK

I think I have a $250 deductible. Not 100% certain, I remember the last time we renewed the policy the difference was like $5 a month so I took it off, but it's been so long my memory is a bit hazy...It could have been my folk's policy that I reduced to $0 deductible.
What TD means is that some insurance companies have a glass replacement policy. They'll replace(or repair) the windshield to prevent higher costs down the line - without you having to pay a dime. You can remove this covarage though to save money. I'd check and see if your policy covers glass before you spend any money :thumb:
Old 04-18-2002, 09:08 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by bol

What TD means is that some insurance companies have a glass replacement policy. They'll replace(or repair) the windshield to prevent higher costs down the line - without you having to pay a dime. You can remove this covarage though to save money. I'd check and see if your policy covers glass before you spend any money :thumb:

Exactly! :thumb:
Old 04-18-2002, 09:34 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Thanks guys. I'll call my insurance agent (have to find out her name first from my wife...Can't remember it off the top of my head. And no, the name on the insurance card isn't hers) and find out if they indeed have that coverage. I have State Farm as well so TD's incident is definately re-assuring.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:47 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by The HACK
Thanks guys. I'll call my insurance agent (have to find out her name first from my wife...Can't remember it off the top of my head. And no, the name on the insurance card isn't hers) and find out if they indeed have that coverage. I have State Farm as well so TD's incident is definately re-assuring.
Just spoke with my agent, and appearantly State Farm does not offer the same kind of autoglass protection out here in Cali.

But they will send someone out to look at the windshield and assess the damage. If it's repairable then the work will be free. If it has to be replaced then it'll come out of my $500 deductible (stupid me).

The damage is actually very small...About the size of my pinky tips.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw
Aye..sorry to hear that. My first two windshield chips are from travelling on the 10 too. It's a vicious freeway I tell ya!

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1 Supercharged E46 M54B25.
NASA TTD So Cal. Track blog: VSETrack

Old 04-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 535ix, GL450, 991S, NSX
Look at the bright side . . . now you can get the rain sensing windshield and install that mod on your car . . .
Old 04-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan F
Look at the bright side . . . now you can get the rain sensing windshield and install that mod on your car . . .
Let me guess...Glass half full type?

Well, I hope they can get to it today. The glass guys said they can repair anything smaller than the size of a credit card and it'll be invisible, and they could get to it today.

I was more worried that my car wouldn't beat Vince's in the Ultimate BMW competition.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: formerly '02 330ci
Sorry to hear about your windshield. I had a rock nail me a couple of weeks ago so I had to replace mine as well. The local dealer here replaced the windshield at a cost of a little more than $800. Luckily, my deductible is only $100. It had to stay overnight to let the glue set, but it was ready for me to pick up the next morning. No hassles, and it looks perfect.

Good luck!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1183  
Old 04-18-2002, 03:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chase265
Mein Auto: 2000 E46 Coupe
damn...the bmw windshield is damn expensive..my girl just replaced the windshield on her Benz and it was only 270, and thats from mercedes themselves...
Old 04-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by SteelGray02ci
Sorry to hear about your windshield. I had a rock nail me a couple of weeks ago so I had to replace mine as well. The local dealer here replaced the windshield at a cost of a little more than $800. Luckily, my deductible is only $100. It had to stay overnight to let the glue set, but it was ready for me to pick up the next morning. No hassles, and it looks perfect.

Good luck!

Mike
Holy sh*t...That's expensive. Mine didn't look nearly as bad, there's no spiderwebbing (well, it's relatively cool today...I'm sure on a hot summer day the crack would expand as the day heats up) but it's about the same size as your impact.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Formerly CCs328Ci

Mein Auto: 2013 328i convertible
Hack, we are all having bad luck..sorry to hear that... you will have your windshield replaced while I talk to my insurance guy about someone slashing my tires

BTW, the windshield thing should go under your comprehensive, which is usually less than collsion. If you have your comp at 500, after this little thing with the glass. I would DEF. change that to a ZERO deduc..
Old 04-18-2002, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: formerly '02 330ci
That picture was taken about 20 minutes after I got nailed. By the next morning it was even worse after sitting outside overnight in mid 30 degree weather.

All fixed now and having fun again! :thumb:

Good luck!

Mike
Old 04-18-2002, 04:37 PM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 535ix, GL450, 991S, NSX
Quote:
Originally posted by CCs328Ci
Hack, we are all having bad luck..sorry to hear that... you will have your windshield replaced while I talk to my insurance guy about someone slashing my tires

BTW, the windshield thing should go under your comprehensive, which is usually less than collsion. If you have your comp at 500, after this little thing with the glass. I would DEF. change that to a ZERO deduc..
Slashing your tires ? ? ? WTF is that about ? ? ?

Did they get all 4 of them ?
Old 04-18-2002, 05:43 PM
BMW Doc Emeritus

Mein Auto: BMW
Your prices are quite high...

These are the parts and labor charges from my windshield replacement last summer. How is it that the prices can vary so much???

Parts:

Front Windshield 51-31-8-196-154 $210.82
Cover (moulding) 51-31-8-196-162 $15.77

Sublet Labor:

Windshield Installation $92.95

Sales Tax (RI- 7% of parts and sublet labor only) $22.37

Total price, including $47 for a two year RI state inspection, was $388.91. I can see prices varying from area to area, but is the gap that big? How can the prices range from under $400 to nearly $800?? While I did get a discount on parts and labor, I could have had the job done for well under $500 if I paid the full price. $800 is still quite high... Looks like some of the dealers are adding a little for Santa Claus
Old 04-18-2002, 05:45 PM
BMW Doc Emeritus

Mein Auto: BMW
I should mention that I do have the auto dim mirror but I do not have the rain sensor. While that does add a little to the price, I know that it definately does not add that much. The price differences has to come from somewhere.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:54 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBimmer
I should mention that I do have the auto dim mirror but I do not have the rain sensor. While that does add a little to the price, I know that it definately does not add that much. The price differences has to come from somewhere.
Actually the rain-sensor equipped windshield needs to be replaced with the rain sensor if I'm not mistake. It is a seperate part number but the windshield mount is different and is glued on. I can see the rain-sensor equipped windshield costing a few hundred dollars more.

Anyway, the glass guys came by at 4:30pm and patched up the damage in 15 minutes for free. The repair is BARELY visible, there's just a small pin-hole sized spec that looks like dirt is embedded into the glass. Of course, only time will tell how the repair will hold up against the ravages of desert weather out in Rancho Cucamonga.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:58 PM
Formerly CCs328Ci

Mein Auto: 2013 328i convertible
hope I have as good as luck as you.. congrats