Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Now doesn't that look puuuurdy! Very nice, Kat! I see the upgraded lights on the new coupes and new 5er quite a bit more on the road now and I like them. Starting to be on the fence about them but for now, I still consider the yellowish AEs with the jet black paint a classic look. If they ever burn out, it'll be time to think something like this though.

I'll be curious to hear how they'll hold up in the long run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 06-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Now doesn't that look puuuurdy! Very nice, Kat! I see the upgraded lights on the new coupes and new 5er quite a bit more on the road now and I like them. Starting to be on the fence about them but for now, I still consider the yellowish AEs with the jet black paint a classic look. If they ever burn out, it'll be time to think something like this though.

I'll be curious to hear how they'll hold up in the long run...
Thanks, C-Dub. The Black with the OEM lights definitely has a distinctive classic look. In keeping with Furby's assessment of my car being 'platinum' I like the icy look with the gray.

In regard to your longevity question, I can't remember exactly where I read it, (maybe the 25+ pages of the thread over on M3 or E90Post), but if memory serves, the LEDs were quoted as having a 50,000 hour life span. When I do the arithmetic, even if I drove 4 hours a day every day that should last me about 34 years. The assemblies have a one year warranty.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Well....didn't you say you planned on keeping yours for a long time?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 328i
Nice work! Naturally, you will have to do the LCI LED taillight upgrade next.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

More Pics

What a comedy of errors today in getting these pics.

I headed out this morning with decent digital camera in hand, with the intent of going to my dealership across the road and getting a couple of photos of the LCI angel eyes directly compared with the LUX 8Hs. Around lunchtime I headed out, got to the dealership, found a sympathetic CA who was willing to pull a key and help me out. After some maneuvering and such, I got ready to take the photos and discovered that I'd forgotten the memory card for the camera. I grabbed my cell phone and not wanting to intrude any more on the CA's time quickly snapped the pic of the Mojave Brown coupe and my vert. After I got back to work, I discovered that he had all lights on and I just had the AE's on. Since it was already a bust, I took one more pic in my work parking lot with full lights on which given the bright sunlight is hopefully a decent comparitor to the LCI full lights on photo.

Thanks to the nice CA at Momentum BMW West who was willing to accomodate me. I'm sure he and his compatriots had a good laugh at the goofy woman who knew way too much techno lingo and kept referring to her 'vert as a Cabrio.

To my eye, the black and white comparo gives the best apples to apples view.
The distance estimates are key, because the closer you are to the LED's the worse they look.
So on with the comparison photos:

Mojave Brown LCI Coupe Full Lights (at 6 feet)

My Cabrio Full Lights: (at 10 feet)

My Cabrio AE's only at dealership (at 4-5 feet)

Black and white montage comparison

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 06-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Well, I think yours look a tad brighter, but it's hard to know for sure. (Which means they're pretty damn good, eh?)

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 06-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
[QUOTE=Nordic_Kat;6138702]What a comedy of errors today in getting these pics.

Kat,
Sorry to hear about your ADHD...I can relate. Your pics (I hate to say this for the effort you put in) don't seem to be working. Your prior post said it all and showed a clear difference. I had previously suggested a night-time display of your lights against a wall (pre and post), but you may not have the "pre" now. All of this aside, you've nothing more to prove...your light mod is GREAT...you'll be the envy of the Houston E93 community. Looking forward to the rear fog light DIY (and the light switch DIY!!).
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

[QUOTE=pointandgo;6138728]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
What a comedy of errors today in getting these pics.

Kat,
Sorry to hear about your ADHD...I can relate. Your pics (I hate to say this for the effort you put in) don't seem to be working. Your prior post said it all and showed a clear difference. I had previously suggested a night-time display of your lights against a wall (pre and post), but you may not have the "pre" now. All of this aside, you've nothing more to prove...your light mod is GREAT...you'll be the envy of the Houston E93 community. Looking forward to the rear fog light DIY (and the light switch DIY!!).
Yes, this set of pics is pretty much worthless but I've already established with my dealership that I'm cuckoo and I dare not go back and beg for more photos. The best I could do is hook up with another 'fester that has an LCI coupe or vert and we could take some comparo pics.

ps: I already posted about doing the rear foglight mod. Go do a search!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
Well, I think yours look a tad brighter, but it's hard to know for sure. (Which means they're pretty damn good, eh?)
Yes, they do look pretty good. I'm going to beg SO to help me do a test over the weekend. I'm going to hop in the MB and let him drive the E93 with him behind me. I've seen enough LCI DRLs in my side view mirror that I'll be able to make a pretty good assessment of how good these are.

DSX already fussed at me for taking pics of my dashboard while driving (and I don't blame him), so my thought is we go find a huge unpopulated parking lot for a photo session.

Those photos will probably be the best testament to how good the LUX 8H's really are compared to LCI.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
[QUOTE=Nordic_Kat;6138744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post

Yes, this set of pics is pretty much worthless but I've already established with my dealership that I'm cuckoo and I dare not go back and beg for more photos. The best I could do is hook up with another 'fester that has an LCI coupe or vert and we could take some comparo pics.

Search Nah-tsi!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
K, LOL about the memory card. I did that once too often, usually after downloading pics and leaving the card in the computer slot, so I taped an extra card to the outside of my camera. I need mental crutches like that.
Good job on your angel eye conversion. We're going to lose you to the dark side, I know it.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

There is another system OSS which requires you send your headlight units to Florida for retrofitting.
Includes disabling lasers fitted to the adaptive lighting system. Teaches a good lesson to those rude, aggressive drivers.

That's what I have.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-19-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Congratulations, Kat. The Lux look very good and dare I say just as bright as the OE leds on the coupe at the dealership. Look forward to your "side view mirror" test and will probably jump on the Lux bandwagon as I prefer the "white" look to the stock "amber" look on my black '11 E90. Based on not being available now until July 8, looks like I'll have a little wait for the purchase.

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint
Old 06-18-2011, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
I just went with the GP Thunder bulbs. 26 dollars, bright white and look great

2011 328xi Sedan - DSB / Chestnut / Aluminum / Auto / Value / Premium / Xenon / Sat / Split Rear Seats
M3 Lip Spoiler / LUX V3 / Aluminum Pedals & E-Brake / Interior LED / Xenesis H8 & H3 / LED side markers
Clear Side Reflectors / DSB painted calipers / Cyba black scoops / Tint / Powder black grille & exhaust tips

Future Mods: VMR V710 18x8.5" Gunmetal rims
Old 06-18-2011, 12:32 PM

GP Thunders (8500K) H8 (halos) and H3 (cornering). Total cost was about $50. Install about 20 minutes. I chose not to do the fog lights as the install takes a while and I don't have ready available resources here in Germany.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	282244  

2011 328xi Sedan - DSB / Chestnut / Aluminum / Auto / Value / Premium / Xenon / Sat / Split Rear Seats
M3 Lip Spoiler / LUX V3 / Aluminum Pedals & E-Brake / Interior LED / Xenesis H8 & H3 / LED side markers
Clear Side Reflectors / DSB painted calipers / Cyba black scoops / Tint / Powder black grille & exhaust tips

Old 06-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Adequate alternative. I went the same route, although I never even considered changing the cornering lights to GPs as well. The only time seen is when the wheel is turned, turn signal is activated or the vehicle is in rev. Anywho do you have pics with them activated?

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 06-18-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:34 PM

I will try to get one today, I wanted it to match the rings

Old 06-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk03 View Post
Congratulations, Kat. The Lux look very good and dare I say just as bright as the OE leds on the coupe at the dealership. Look forward to your "side view mirror" test and will probably jump on the Lux bandwagon as I prefer the "white" look to the stock "amber" look on my black '11 E90. Based on not being available now until July 8, looks like I'll have a little wait for the purchase.
Here are the results of the "side vew mirror test".
The first photo is just that - pointing the camera into the mirror. The second is for a distance gauge. Very nice of the high school to have the parking spots so well marked.

All in all I am very happy with the LUX decision and hope this helps other 'festers in the decision making process.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:37 PM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Congrats Kat! They look great
Old 06-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
THAT parking lot would be fun in the snow, lol.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 06-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Quote:
Here are the results of the "side vew mirror test".
The first photo is just that - pointing the camera into the mirror. The second is for a distance gauge. Very nice of the high school to have the parking spots so well marked.

All in all I am very happy with the LUX decision and hope this helps other 'festers in the decision making process.
The car! She is staring at me! She looks angry! I am scared.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: E91 328 Touring (SPP)
A bit of a hijack here, but has anyone had good/bad experience with Racing Dash (RDASH) angel eyes?

I installed them into my 07 E91 Wagon. After ~ 2 months, I'm getting intermittent light bulb errors on the driver side. Yes, it's the driver side angel eye that goes on and of intermittently.

Your replies are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
[QUOTE=Nordic_Kat;6138744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post

Happy to help if you want to use mine as a comparo.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
I just ordered Lux H8 V3 a few minutes ago!!!

I can't wait till I get them in.
I should have them monday and If I can Ill take some pictures!!!

2009 BMW 328i
Montegoblau Metallic
Beige Dakota Leather
Light Burl Walnut
ZPP/ZCW/ZPP/iPod/USB/CA/SMARTPHONE/MT
ED 6/16/09 M-1224Z
THX IRV R.
BMWCCA Member
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Debadge
BMW Performance Exhaust!!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
[T]he closer you are to the LED's the worse they look.
Now, that's an interesting statement! I admit, I haven't really warmed to the LED coronas yet. Not sure if it's because I have seen so few that they still look "wrong" to me, or because Audi has poisoned the well with their profusion of garish LED eyeliners around here. Your remark reminded me that the few I've noticed have been practically on top of me--now I'll be on the lookout to see whether I like them better from a distance.

Regardless: Nice work, well done and I have to say, it does look good in the photos!

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA