Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-23-2015, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Is low mileage the kiss of death? Or what?

I'm about to be a new owner of a 2011 335d and looking for some solid advice. I bought the car using beepi.com and have 10 days to decide if I want to keep it. I thought I was getting a great deal because the car only has 35k miles on it and priced very well compared to everything else that I come across in Los Angeles. Here's the online posting for reference:

https://www.beepi.com/Buy/bmw/3-seri...PN7C50BA950711

My dilemma is that everything I read on this model seems to talk about carbon build up and seems to be a theme with those that have not been driven hard enough. This one only has 35k miles which plays into that concern. I really wanted to get an MSport package but having trouble finding one that is available given the rarity of them. I figured that if I got this at a good price, I wouldn't mind getting the M package bumpers and some other nice add ons.

Should I be THAT worried about the low mileage on this one? Also, since I have some time... anyone seen any good Msports for sale lately?

baro_a_
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2015, 07:12 AM
Oil Burner

Mein Auto: 335D
Cpo?

I wouldn't buy one without CPO warranty, regardless of mileage. CBU is a sad fact of life with many of the EPA-saddled vehicles on the road these days, diesel or otherwise. The 335D is just particularly bad in this regard. There are modifications to be made mitigating the problem if you are mechanically inclined to tinker yourself. CPO paid for itself many times over on mine. There is no substitute for a 335D, if that's what you're looking for.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:47 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by barobaro View Post
My dilemma is that everything I read on this model seems to talk about carbon build up and seems to be a theme with those that have not been driven hard enough. This one only has 35k miles which plays into that concern. I really wanted to get an MSport package but having trouble finding one that is available given the rarity of them. I figured that if I got this at a good price, I wouldn't mind getting the M package bumpers and some other nice add ons.

Should I be THAT worried about the low mileage on this one? Also, since I have some time... anyone seen any good Msports for sale lately?
The low mileage isn't a concern; it's the type of miles that may - note the prevarication - MAY be a problem. There is no proof that highway miles versus city miles are a problem either way, nor is number of miles an indicator. Also, discussions of problems in these forums are in no way a predictor of an individual car, or even class of car, having problems.

However, many people posting here have had problems. The fact that BMW issued a SIB on how to clean the intake of buildups is an indicator that the problem has occurred enough that BMW Corporate noticed in it's repair statistics. Will this car have problems? That's un-knowable.

BTW, IMHO if you're worried about MSport or not, you're mostly interested in appearance (MSport is entirely an appearance package and has no performance benefits) - why you're interested in maintenance issues is kind of beyond me. You'd be better off with an MSport 328i - which is the most reliable E9x out there, if you care about the two together.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:43 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: e89 Z4, e46 330Ci vert
Quote:
I'm about to be a new owner of a 2011 335d and looking for some solid advice. I bought the car using beepi.com and have 10 days to decide if I want to keep it. I thought I was getting a great deal because the car only has 35k miles on it and priced very well compared to everything else that I come across in Los Angeles. Here's the online posting for reference:

https://www.beepi.com/Buy/bmw/3-seri...PN7C50BA950711

baro_a_

I had some of my best years of my life in a 6-cylinder diesel BMW, and a white one. Screw the carbon, if you do enough miles to get the cost savings I'd do it. I wouldn't buy a white car today. But the freedom to just pile up mileage on a low price and with the great range of the diesel (less fuel stops) are something unmeasurable.

Honestly, the low miles are good. Even if it indicates that it maybe built up a bit more per mile you still have to multiply by miles.

I would aim at a non-white m-sport, though. Those seats kinda suck, at least they have lumbar support. But recession white in "ohmybgod dirt black" and some random wood under thick plastic paint isn't my idea of a car to identify with from the inside.

There is a beautiful baby blue metallic with beige interior 335d in my former work garage. I was always tempted to put a check under the wiper, if cashed its mine.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:28 AM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the solid opinions. Found another with similar mileage, black color, and comes with a 6 year 100k mile warranty. I'm looking at it today and may end up going that route. Will post pictures when I do. Also, FloydaRogers, rou're right, The M Sport would be mostly for appearances but it's not necessary.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 M3; '12 X5 Diesel
mileage is a crap shoot indicator for issues, the number by itself doesn't tell the full story, but is an variable in the full suite of variables you need to consider in your purchase.

Without knowing the original owner(s) of the car it's hard to tell whether it was a "garage queen", "traveling salesman car", "in the body shop for repair", or "had a reserved spot at the dealer shop". A few things that can help you with assessment:

1. pull dealership service and warranty fix records (if private owner still owns this car, you need his/her help to pull records). For a 2011, there should be NO EXCUSE why the car had gaps in its record for dealership servicing or repairs. The car is covered through 2015 and owner is incentivized to go to BMW up to this year.
2. do a PPI at an independent shop
3. seek BMW CPO elegibility

Even if you buy a CPO BMW, you should still do the steps above to give you an idea how the car lived its life before you.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-24-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:53 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the solid opinions. Found another with similar mileage, black color, and comes with a 6 year 100k mile warranty. I'm looking at it today and may end up going that route. Will post pictures when I do. Also, FloydaRogers, rou're right, The M Sport would be mostly for appearances but it's not necessary.
As others have noted it is hard to know if you have CBU or not. I'm now at 87k with a 2010 335D Sport/Premium and so far so good. I do drive rather hard, putting on at least 50% highway miles with of course city miles in my normal commute. It is not the low miles but whether or not the car was seeing low load or higher load, in my opinion. Low load would most likely lead to quicker CBU, but again others on here have had different experiences.

Also this site only represents a minority of diesel owners out there. There are many that have been fat, dumb, and happy and without issues posting about them here.

If you can get the extended warranty that should provide good piece of mind. The CBU may be covered under warranty and if not it is not an unreasonable cost to get cleaned out now, maybe in the $1,500 range?

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 05-22-2015, 08:25 PM

I got the car! It's been a couple of weeks and been having a great time driving it so far. Just wanted to come back to this and say thanks for your opinions. Definitely helped with everything.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Pictures or it didn't happen.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Awesome! I bought a 2010 CPO with 32k miles on it 15 months ago. Now at 66K miles and still no issues with CBU, yet.

Last edited by mefferso; 05-22-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: I suck at typing
Old 05-23-2015, 04:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
[ ... ] lso this site only represents a minority of diesel owners out there. There are many that have been fat, dumb, and happy and without issues posting about them here. [ ... ]
The best point. Forum posters are a minority of users of any population, extroverts, hypersensitive or complainers.