Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Wheel Options

Hey all-
Getting ready to place my order for '11 X3 tomorrow. However I just realized that the 2011 brochure and bmwusa website have a discrepency... brochure says that the "standard" wheels on the 35 are the 308-Y Spoke (18 inch) wheels and the ones in the sport package are the 309 Double Spoke (19 inch) wheels. However...on the webiste under "build your own", the 309's come up as a $600 option to the sport package...not exactly happy to see that.

Anyone else have this experience, and if so results?

And quick question on the wheels...if they are an upgrade and I don't feel like paying, am I missing out? Are the 19's a nice upgrade, and how about the looks? Keep in mind I won't have performance tires...will go with all-season...live in the northeast.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
Hey all-
Getting ready to place my order for '11 X3 tomorrow. However I just realized that the 2011 brochure and bmwusa website have a discrepency... brochure says that the "standard" wheels on the 35 are the 308-Y Spoke (18 inch) wheels and the ones in the sport package are the 309 Double Spoke (19 inch) wheels. However...on the webiste under "build your own", the 309's come up as a $600 option to the sport package...not exactly happy to see that.

Anyone else have this experience, and if so results?

And quick question on the wheels...if they are an upgrade and I don't feel like paying, am I missing out? Are the 19's a nice upgrade, and how about the looks? Keep in mind I won't have performance tires...will go with all-season...live in the northeast.

Thanks!
Hi, I was told by my salesman that the Sport Activity Package includes the 309 wheels. I asked him twice because of the discrepency that you also observed. But I have nothing in writing. My car is now in production and I'm worried that I won't get them. I tried to find out more from BMW Customer Service but they kept referring me back to my salesman. They did tell me that the 28i comes with the upgraded 307 wheels, but they didn't have any info on the 35i. Makes sense that if the SAP upgrades the wheels on the 28i, it will do the same on the 35i.

Last edited by mibmwx3; 04-29-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
Hi, I was told by my salesman that the Sport Activity Package includes the 309 wheels. I asked him twice because of the discrepency that you also observed. But I have nothing in writing. My car is now in production and I'm worried that I won't get them. I tried to find out more from BMW Customer Service but they kept referring me back to my salesman. They did tell me that the 28i comes with the upgraded 307 wheels, but they didn't have any info on the 35i. Makes sense that if the SAP upgrades the wheels on the 28i, it will do the same on the 35i.
Hey.... see my other post on your thread... you definitely do NOT get the 309s with the SAP. Here is what I posted on your other thread...

They absolutely are not included in the sport package. #1, you only get the 309s if you get the 35i...not offered on 28i. #2, you can only OPT for the 309s if you get the sport package... #3, you ONLY get the 309s if you select them as a $600 upgrade option. That's the deal.

If you have the original X3 brochure it says the 309s are part of sport package but it's wrong...BMW must have changed their mind at some point b/c it isn't. Go on BMWUSA.com and do a config...it makes you select them as an option.

I actually decided against the 309s...they are really nice but they look like so many other wheels out there...if I'm getting 19's or 20's I'm going to get the exact ones I want and not what BMW plops on...that being said they are a good upgrade for $600 bucks but I would just want something that looks a little different...maybe I"ll get 19's down the road a bit...the 18s on here are nice.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:10 PM

Angry

Quote:
Hey.... see my other post on your thread... you definitely do NOT get the 309s with the SAP. Here is what I posted on your other thread...

They absolutely are not included in the sport package. #1, you only get the 309s if you get the 35i...not offered on 28i. #2, you can only OPT for the 309s if you get the sport package... #3, you ONLY get the 309s if you select them as a $600 upgrade option. That's the deal.

If you have the original X3 brochure it says the 309s are part of sport package but it's wrong...BMW must have changed their mind at some point b/c it isn't. Go on BMWUSA.com and do a config...it makes you select them as an option.

I actually decided against the 309s...they are really nice but they look like so many other wheels out there...if I'm getting 19's or 20's I'm going to get the exact ones I want and not what BMW plops on...that being said they are a good upgrade for $600 bucks but I would just want something that looks a little different...maybe I"ll get 19's down the road a bit...the 18s on here are nice.

That's what I was afraid of.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
That's what I was afraid of.
I hear ya....originally I was pissed b/c getting 19's for 600 bucks is a steal... however then I went back and thought about it, and for winter driving its still good to have 18s regardless. (not sure where you live but I'm in NJ and no way can I run 19s all year...even with all seasons...never gonna work) So I'd either end up with 19's and have to buy 18's this winter, or I get my 18's now with all seasons and save up some dollars and buy the 19's that I really want a year or two down the road when I'm not rushed. Then I can put summer tires on the 19's and switch the 18's out to winter tires when I'm ready.... so that way I get the best of both worlds!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
Like everything else, the NA website supersedes any written material...except the current order guide sheets a dealer has for his internal use.

RTOM.....
Old 04-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
Like everything else, the NA website supersedes any written material...except the current order guide sheets a dealer has for his internal use.
In my case, the dealer told me that I would be getting the 309 wheels.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I hear ya....originally I was pissed b/c getting 19's for 600 bucks is a steal... however then I went back and thought about it, and for winter driving its still good to have 18s regardless. (not sure where you live but I'm in NJ and no way can I run 19s all year...even with all seasons...never gonna work) So I'd either end up with 19's and have to buy 18's this winter, or I get my 18's now with all seasons and save up some dollars and buy the 19's that I really want a year or two down the road when I'm not rushed. Then I can put summer tires on the 19's and switch the 18's out to winter tires when I'm ready.... so that way I get the best of both worlds!
I live in Michigan and would have preferred to buy something different for winter. I had my heart set on these wheels.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I live in Michigan and would have preferred to buy something different for winter. I had my heart set on these wheels.
Oh wow so you get more snow than I do!!!

Listen don't worry....you can still get them so don't stress over it...for real! If you just placed your order and your car is in status 112 and not 150 you can make changes. Status 112 means that your car has been given a production number and is slated for production...up until it goes into status 150 you can make changes...and don't let your dealer tell you otherwise...you definitely can. If they just don't want to do it tell them that you are pulling your order and going somewhere else...plain and simple.

So do this...go to your dealer, ask what status the car is in, and the'll probably say 112. Tell them immediately that you want to add the 19's. In fact see the attachedment I've included... it is the OFFICIAL BMW x3 ordering guide..and it shows you all the options and what is included and what isn't...on there you can clearly see the 309's are extra. This doc is a bit old but it's accurate...and by old I mean like december...and there have been some additions...for example, the 19s you covet are available in performance tires as well as all - seasons... the ones on this doc are the performance tire package (see the order code) however there is another order code for the 19's with all seasons. Just figure out which you want and tell them to look it up and add it...plain and simple, done deal. Cost you an additional $600 bucks. Just keep in mind where you live...if you get the performance tires you will ABSOLUTELY need a winter setup...the performance setup will fail miserably in the winter...trust me..you'll have no traction. Also if you have a lot of pot holes and such be very careful with the 19s and the performance tires. These are run flat tires and low profile which means: flats and bent wheels with pot holes. Either buy the wheel/tire insurance or go with the all seasons. if all you want is the look, all seassons are a good happy medium...if you want performance tires then be careful. Also look up what the performance tires cost to replace... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011 X3 Ordering Guide.pdf (252.1 KB, 169 views)
Old 04-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I'll say this: the all-seasons that come on the 35i (Pirelli Cinturato P7) won't work well in the winter. It's based on a summer tire, and the tread pattern doesn't bode well for real all-season, much less winter capabilities.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I'll say this: the all-seasons that come on the 35i (Pirelli Cinturato P7) won't work well in the winter. It's based on a summer tire, and the tread pattern doesn't bode well for real all-season, much less winter capabilities.
Really? Which all seasons/wheels did you get....the 18's or the 19's? I'm wondering if the 18's are different from the 19's (the tires that is) I thought the 18's were continentals.

So yea if that's the case (the all-seasons won't do well in winter) then you may well get the performance tires anyway...if you have to get winter tires anyway it's better to have the perf/summer ones to have some fun when its warm out!!!

I'm curious though on the all-seaons (18 vs 19)..I really thought that one of them were continentals
Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 PM

Ok just double checked tire rack... definnitely pirelli's... p-zero on the performance site...I don't know why I tought continental...

anyway.....since we're on this topic...check out this video...awesome

Old 04-29-2011, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I'm interested to know about the 18 all seasons as well. We live in the lake effect snow belt and usually get over 100" of snow in winter. I'll need a decent tire.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The 35i I test drove (No sport activity pack, just the standard 35i wheels) had the Pirelli Cinturato P7, along with pics of some 28i with Sport Activity Pack. Example

I've seen pics of the 19" double-spoke on dealer websites and they were Continental ContiSportContact3 or Pirelli PZero RFT, more than one tire supplier (?). I have the former on my mom's 325i actually, they're a very good tire but like all summer tires, hopeless in the winter.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 04-29-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:30 PM

Stupid question, but how is this car different than my current Ford Explorer 4wd? I never had to have snow tires before.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Stupid question, but how is this car different than my current Ford Explorer 4wd? I never had to have snow tires before.
Interesting question

Listen, I'm not worried about the all-season 18's on the 35i. I know the body shop manager and the service manager at my dealership and they both told me that the all-season setup on the 35i (or 28i) is fine for northeast winters and I won't need snow tires...so I trust them b/c I know them and they've seen every combo on every car.

the performance tires...obviously different story.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Interesting question

Listen, I'm not worried about the all-season 18's on the 35i. I know the body shop manager and the service manager at my dealership and they both told me that the all-season setup on the 35i (or 28i) is fine for northeast winters and I won't need snow tires...so I trust them b/c I know them and they've seen every combo on every car.

the performance tires...obviously different story.
I wanted the all season tires. I think we average about 70" of snow per year, but we've had some days with over a foot of snow.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:02 PM

Just checked, we're #16 in the US cities with the highest snow fall in a year - average 73.4".
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Just checked, we're #16 in the US cities with the highest snow fall in a year - average 73.4".
that's a lot of snow! I think we got like 60" this year and it was one of the highest amounts we ever got...I think we average like 40-50

so what are you doing... the all seasons (18 or 19) or perf and then adding snow later?
Old 04-29-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
that's a lot of snow! I think we got like 60" this year and it was one of the highest amounts we ever got...I think we average like 40-50

so what are you doing... the all seasons (18 or 19) or perf and then adding snow later?

Yes, going with all seasons (will have to see what size I end up with). I didn't realize that I would have to buy snow tires. Just like the old days when I drove a rear wheel drive Thunderbird except the tires used to have studs.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, going with all seasons (will have to see what size I end up with). I didn't realize that I would have to buy snow tires. Just like the old days when I drove a rear wheel drive Thunderbird except the tires used to have studs.
LMAO..omg stud tires...that's awesome. I had an '86 rx7 with an aftermarket turbo (unreal car...fast as b@lls...fastest car I've ever had.. was a 12 second car). Anyway...I had to do studs in the winter and it was a crazy experience

Honestly see how the all seasons do...I'd say 18's are safer than 19's but the 19 wheels may sway you. My buddies at the dealership tell me that the 18's wtih all seasons (pirellies) will do fine in the winter..however you get more snow than i do!
Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 PM

I hope I'm able to get my X3 out of my garage this winter.

This picture was taken last February when I had 2 to 3 foot of snow in my driveway.

I have to take a sharp right out of my garage. I did snow blow the driveway before attempting to exit.

How do I decrease size of pictures?

Last edited by mibmwx3; 04-29-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:14 PM

LMFAO...that's an awesome picture!!

Look there's another school of thought...that is, sometimes it's better to just say home, even if you have all wheel drive..b/c it's not you that you have to worry about, it's everyone else. I can tell you this...I have a subaru which IMO is the best all wheel drive out there...it's an absolute beast in any conditions that require AWD...and it eats up northeast winters like a kid with an easter basket on easter.....however, with the storms I got this year, I ended up staying home more than going out.

I did however try to get myself stuck a few times and the subie won each time... My buddy is a cop and his dept got new jeep GC and he said that truck was the best thing he's ever driven in the snow. Even so...I'm anxious to see how my X3 comparies to mu subie...subies are hard to beat in the snow but X-drive does a good job I have to say
Old 04-29-2011, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Regardless of what ppl at the dealership are saying about All-Seasons being OK in the winter; I would take that with a large grain of salt (and not for the ice, either). You might "get by" in deep snow and on ice with All-Seasons but you certainly would do a LOT BETTER on winter tires. To me, it is not worth it to try to "get by" when a good set of winters and 4 extra wheels, amortized over (say) 4 winters is pretty cheap insurance against getting into an incident and/or avoiding some out-of-control beater coming at your nice new X3.

Just my opinion, but backed by the FACT that winter tires will outperform All-Seasons in snow and ice. No question.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Mibmwx3 I am in the same boat as you! I remember that storm....this is what our driveway looked liked after a couple passes with the snowblower. Our driveway is two cars wide so it took 3 hours to clear it with the snowblower! Are you in Grand Rapids?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wall of snow.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	276711  

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 04-29-2011 at 07:41 PM.