Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i Premium
2011 X5 35i Reduced Power Malfunction

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum world. I also just bought my first BMW couple days ago and I am already disappointed and worried. I bought a 2011 X5 with 6600 miles on it, I drove it home and was in my driveway for an hour with the engine running and all of a sudden the engine shut off and said Reduced Power. After a minute I started it up and drove it into the garage. The next day it would not crank and the battery low indicator was coming on. The dealer came and towed it away and I am waiting to hear what they say the problem is. When I got their I was extremely angry and they offered to refund me all my money back, I told them I wanted to know what the cause was first before I decided what to do. To be honest I love the X5 and don't want to, but if its going to be trouble from the VERY beginning I don't know what to do. I saw a lot of people seem to have reduced power problems. Has anyone had it with the 2011 X5? And would anyone recommend me taking them up on the refund? Any advice would help, I'm stressed.
Ads by Google
Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
Get a Refund!
2011 X5 35i is full of problems
I had in the past 4 months almost half the car replaced in parts.
1) Navigation computer
2) I drive controller burned out and is a constant DRAIN on the battery
3) New Battery
4) 5 time reprogram / refresh software
5) ABS actuator
6) Brake lines bleed 3 times
7) SOS malfunctions .. makes calls on its own.
8) New heated steering wheel
9) God knows thats next

on the up side, I send more time in BMW loaners then my own BMW!!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fads2011 View Post
I drove it home and was in my driveway for an hour with the engine running and all of a sudden the engine shut off and said Reduced Power. .

Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying you left it idling for one hour?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:35 PM

Rattman that is extremely disappointing to hear. I been saving up for this car a long time. But thank you for your honesty.

Penguin, no you read right. I left the car running while I set up all settings on the car, like radio, garage, etc., instead of running off the battery. Do you think the idling caused major damage??
Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying you left it idling for one hour?
your Brake Regeneration is Off line

You need a reprograming
Old 04-03-2011, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Idling probably did not do any major damage, However, the X5, in my experience, does not create enough current to keep the battery charged when idling. I suspect you have simply run the battery down, and the errors you have received are due to the low voltage of a discharged battery.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 PM

I am sorry Rattmann, but I am very not car savvy so I do not know what you mean about the brake regeneration needs reprogramming. Can you explain?

Penguin, I do remember during a test drive a salesmen told me that the alternator on the X5 makes just enough juice to power all the electronics and doesn't really charge the battery. So Hopefully all it is is a dead battery and not a bad fuel pump or bad injectors. That makes me potentially feel better. That might explain why the battery was dead the next morning and why the lights inside the car were freaking out the night the malfunction light came on. I guess thats the best case scenario considering what I've read. I guess I'll have to never idle for more than a few minutes. Thanks a lot fellas, I been freaking out all weekend waiting to hear from the dealer. Had the car an hour when this happened.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
2011 with 6k miles????

How carefully did you check out this car? Was it a lemon/buyback/trouble car?

It is very surprising they are offering a refund that quickly...either it is a bluff or something is up.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 PM

It was a loaner car. It wasn't for sale at the time I saw it on the lot, but as you know anything is for sale. The car I went to go see wasn't there so I asked if they were selling this one. I checked it out as good as someone could, test drove it, drove it all the way home, everything seemed fine until the malfunction. I am hoping its just the battery, or fuel pump worst case scenario.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:33 PM

Also the sales manager only offered to give me my money back when I started getting angry and yelling. But if its something major I'm going to get my money back, if not I really like the car.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Also the sales manager only offered to give me my money back when I started getting angry and yelling. But if its something major I'm going to get my money back, if not I really like the car.

OK, he's BSing you. Just did it to calm you down.

And how will you know if it IS "something major"??? Do you trust them to tell you? Couple of months chasing charging issues and it will be too late.

If a car cannot idle until it runs out of gas it is defective...screw any discussions about marginal charging, blah, blah, blah...

IMHO

A
Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
OK, he's BSing you. Just did it to calm you down.

And how will you know if it IS "something major"??? Do you trust them to tell you? Couple of months chasing charging issues and it will be too late.

If a car cannot idle until it runs out of gas it is defective...screw any discussions about marginal charging, blah, blah, blah...

IMHO

A
+1
Get Refund
I have 35oomiles and afraid of driving it far.
But then again, if it did stop, I just have to wait 90min or a day for help to arrive
Old 04-04-2011, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
2011 with 6k miles????
Is that high? It has been on sale since last summer.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 AM

You guys are right. I was hoping to get something in writing of the cause. Then try to go from there. It was commissioned in sept 2010 as a loaner. So 6 months before I bought it they put 6k miles on it. I'll hopefully find out today and go from there. It was the newest model with all the options I could afford so don't want to let it go easily but don't want to sink money into another car hence why I bought a newer car.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
2011 X4 3.5 Premium, new September 2010, 8000 miles on it, not one single problem with mine. I would wait to see what they find, could be something simple, like a bad battery causing all the issues or could be something they can't figure out and you won't want it.

Post back what they tell you is going on and get something in writing that they will refund the money if you are not happy after they fix it, if you decide to take it home.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:46 PM

Thanks for everyone's help. Just got a call from the technician manager and he said it's a dme, computer related, and they are replacing it. He said it's the second one they are replacing this week. He believes if it continues BMW will recall them. He said mine is getting a new one. He said this would explain why the car lights were freaking out after the malfunction light came on. Hopefully this is the issue and there won't be any more anytime soon. I'm going to cross my fingers.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help. Just got a call from the technician manager and he said it's a dme, computer related, and they are replacing it. He said it's the second one they are replacing this week. He believes if it continues BMW will recall them. He said mine is getting a new one. He said this would explain why the car lights were freaking out after the malfunction light came on. Hopefully this is the issue and there won't be any more anytime soon. I'm going to cross my fingers.
He is lying.

How many "dme replacements" have you seen in the last month here and on xoutpost? These are worldwide websites with an owner base that is 5000 times larger than the one dealer you spoke to... there should be one or two "DME replacements" if this is a big issue.

But his lie is doing precisely what they want- it is lulling you into hopeful acceptance.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:22 PM

To the tech defense he said if it continued he see it becoming a big issue for a recall. But I guess I'll take my chance for now.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2012 535 xi GT
If it is any consolation, I too had two "early" first 30 day issues - a bad instrument cluster and a bad pin in an electrical connection that provided me with all kinds of fun warnings!

It's been my experience with any car, new or used, especially German. I always have a breaking in period and end up with one or two early repairs. So, unless you ended up with a real bad one, I'm sure it will being the awesome beast that you hoped for!

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:02 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the reassuring words. Because I been wanting to get the X5 for a while now, and if I decided to return this one I probably would have not gotten another. I now things happen but I don't want to put money into a pit, so hopefully the kinks are out early and I can start enjoying it tomorrow. Thank you everyone who have given their help good and bad, it all helps.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Wow, some of you must go to some horrible dealers...I am sad for you that you immediately accuse them of lying no matter what they say...
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerVSR View Post
If it is any consolation, I too had two "early" first 30 day issues -.... any car, new or used, especially German. I always have a breaking in period and end up with one or two early repairs. !
Wait...that's nonsense. A used car??? By that estimation ANY and ALL cars should show "early issues" continuously during their lives! Just because ownership changes does not 'trigger' some new 'early issue'. Your thesis, if true, would mean every 30 days any owner can expect issues on a continuing basis....

Plus the OP has a used car that is over 30 days old...shouldn't it already have had it's 'early issue'???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihumphrey View Post
Wow, some of you must go to some horrible dealers...I am sad for you that you immediately accuse them of lying no matter what they say...
Perhaps. My dealer is great, honest tech, very communicative.

Like I said, we are not seeing posts about a rash of DME failures...hence the tech saying 'if it continues' or anything along those lines is BSing you.

"Start enjoying it tomorrow"? So they are telling you that it will be done tomorrow? New DME installed overnight? Anyone wanna take a bet that tomorrow, we will hear "it turns out it wasn't the DME"

OP- I am a naysayer. Absolutely. You have more than enough people saying 'don't worry, be happy'. One camp will be right, the other wrong. Lets hope, if you keep it, I am wrong.

Good luck
Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: '05 M3--'11 X5 50i
By any chance the "engine malfunction" is directly related to the HPFP? My former 535i was serviced extensively for this issue between 20K-45K miles--took delivery new in '08. 2 HPFPs, set of injectors, reprogramming, fuel rail, spark plugs, and others with no prevail. The SA told me the HPFP issue is more generalized amongst the 535i, 335i, 135i but considered acute for the X5 and X6. According to the SA, although the turbo system is redesigned for newer models, this "engine malfunction" issue continues because the HPFP design hasn't "really" changed asides from moving the HPFP plant from France to Germany.
'08 535i-"never more HPFPs"-sold
'05 ///M3 'vert - my Valium
'11 X5 50i:blck/blck-all the goods, except the M package
Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 AM

To be honest I read so much on this forum that I was almost positive it was the hpfp or fuel injectors. According to the dealer it's the dme which they are updating today. If that doesn't fix it then I'm sure it's one of the other two possibilities. I'm hoping it's just the dme. It's sad that they cannot fix such a prevalent problem. But I'll find out later today If the dme corrected the problem.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
To be honest I read so much on this forum that I was almost positive it was the hpfp or fuel injectors. According to the dealer it's the dme which they are updating today. If that doesn't fix it then I'm sure it's one of the other two possibilities. I'm hoping it's just the dme. It's sad that they cannot fix such a prevalent problem. But I'll find out later today If the dme corrected the problem.
Are they "updating" the DME or replacing the DME??

In "BMW Service Adviser Speak", "Update"= reprogram, not replacement.