Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Beth S

Mein Auto: 2011 328i coupe
Angry 2011 328i rough idle misfiring with Vanos codes showing issues on timing and intake

I go to get into my 2011 328i yesterday and as soon as I start it up something seems off. I go to pull out and it feels like it's dying and then it jerks forward. It's shaking like an out of alignment washing machine from the 60's. I shot some video of it and you can see and hear it. It's at the dealership now. Code 2A7C and 2A82. Deals with the timing of the engine and the intake. They're pulling the cover to get a better look. It has 8,000 miles on it. They think it might be something out of the factory or could be something like a loose bolt or a bolt that has fallen off. My biggest fear is that permanent damage has somehow been done to the engine. While it didn't drive like that before yesterday....after getting in the loaner car today, it seems like my car might have been slowly losing it's oomph. I couldn't find anything online with the 2011's having this problem. I am now using a vacation day to sit here and do research. Good times. Any thoughts out there? Is there someone I should start pinging now about finding out if my engine is as good as new?
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelaine View Post
I go to get into my 2011 328i yesterday and as soon as I start it up something seems off. I go to pull out and it feels like it's dying and then it jerks forward. It's shaking like an out of alignment washing machine from the 60's.
Indeed. You should receive a call about now - VANOS solenoid?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Beth S

Researching

I'm wondering the same thing after doing some research. However, it seems a majority of the people that had these issues didn't have brand-new cars. But, I guess anything can happen. I've already sent an email to the Service Director letting him know I am not pleased, and I'd like to know how they will show me that the engine hasn't been damaged in any way. I dropped it off at 8am and they were able to tell me about the VANOS issue at 9:15. So...5 hours later....I'm hoping to hear something soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	273116  
Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I do my crosswords in pen

Mein Auto: OEM+ 330i
Don't take on an attitude with the dealer, that certainly won't help you in any way. They have to fix it up to your satisfaction, so let them do their thing and stop worrying about it so much.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Beth S

I'm not taking an attitude, however a brand new car with problems could be the beginning of something. Often times when a woman goes into a car dealership, they don't explain things the same way they do a man. I just want them to know that I am not dumb. I am slightly concerned since it is new, and I just want to know when I leave there that the problem has been fixed. If you take a gander at this forum, you'll read stories of people that have their car in and out of the shop on a regular basis, and I'm hoping to avoid that =)
Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
If you take a gander at this forum, you'll read stories of people that have their car in and out of the shop on a regular basis, and I'm hoping to avoid that =)
Good point, but there do not seem to be many other, if any, complaints about those particular codes. I'd take that as a good sign, in that it should support the opposite conclusion, i.e., that you should NOT expect to have this problem recur. Your own research supports this conclusion: " I couldn't find anything online with the 2011's having this problem."

Have some faith in BMW fixing this particular problem and confidence that, at least as long as it's under warranty, you're in good hands. Relax and give 'em a chance to do their thing.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Beth S

Smile Thanks

I will wait. I'll post the results once they call me in case anyone else has an issue down the line
Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Beth S

No word yet

After 7 hours, no answers yet. They called to say they're tracing the faults, but it will be mid-morning tomorrow before they potentially have an answer. They said they don't want to rush it given that it's a new car.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Beth S

Cal Waterboy is right =)

Got this email from the BMW folks:
The technician found a bulletin pertaining to the fault he found with the VANOS. The bulletin stated to swap the faulty VANOS solenoid (controls the oil pressure) from the intake (where it is currently faulting) to the exhaust and see if a fault therein occurs in the exhaust. If the fault moves with the VANOS solenoid from the intake to the exhaust, then we know to replace the VANOS solenoid. We found the fault did in fact move, so he has replaced that part and the vehicle is running smoothly (i.e. that misfiring you experienced yesterday is now longer occurring). He is now conducting fault tests once more to see if the new VANOS solenoid is functioning properly (according to the computer) as well as to be sure there are no other faults the computer may have missed yesterday due to the malfunctioning VANOS.

So, Cal Waterboy was right. Not sure why the solenoid would fail with only a handful of miles on a new car, but I can research that on here later =) Thanks everyone!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Glad it's getting fixed.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Not sure why the solenoid would fail with only a handful of miles on a new car, but I can research that on here later =) Thanks everyone!!!
For symptoms noted, it's the usual culprit. Bad parts frequently fail sooner rather than later. Here's to a quick & effective fix!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Beth S

Thanks everyone

Yeah, given that there is a bulletin out on it, I might not be the last 2011 3 series owners with this issue. But, it looks like it's all squared away and they're cruising around in it now. Maybe they'll even wash it for me =)
Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Don't let them wash it! AHHHHH!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Yeah, given that there is a bulletin out on it, I might not be the last 2011 3 series owners with this issue. But, it looks like it's all squared away and they're cruising around in it now. Maybe they'll even wash it for me =)
Thanks everyone for the help!
Does this affect certain build dates? My 2011 was made in December. I purchased it a month ago and have 1900 miles on it.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Beth S

Not sure....

I am not sure if they can say anything about particular builds or not. It might be a totally isolated incident =)
Old 05-03-2011, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Don't let them wash it! AHHHHH!
Not sure about the OP's VA dealer, but my MD dealer does an excellent hand wash with no swirls.

Beth, hopefully your car is now good as new and ready for you to enjoy again.

Tom
Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328xi
Angry 2011 328xi - Headache

Hi Bethelaine,

I saw your post through my sister's boyfriend assistance. He pointed it out to your post after he saw the video that I recorded related to the issue that I have with my 2011 BMW 328xi.

It is a brand new car that I bought in October 2011. Two weeks later after driving, the car's RPM jumped up and down while the entire engine shook crazily, in addition to the weird engine noise coming out. I brought the car back to the dealership, and initially, they couldn't figure out the problem. They told me that they had a case like this for 10 year-old BMW. So, I left the car with them during my Christmas holidays for fixing. They came back and said that it has to do with the version of the software. They called me a few weeks later and informed me that they figured out which software and updated. I got really happy and went to pick up my car.

Two days later, the same problem happened again. I called my dealership, and also filed my complaints with BMW USA Customer Relations. Basically, my dealership told me that they couldn't do anything more unless BMW comes out with a solution or updated version as they deemed that they did their best of fixing the problem; however, I am more than welcomed to bring my car in. Meanwhile, BMW USA Customer Relation Representative has not been actively assisting me getting rid of my headache on the car. I videoed the problem of the car every day when I drive (which is only twice a day). Perhaps, I have short patience when it comes to car, especially when I was hoping that this new luxury car would not bring me any problems that I have had with the old car (Mazda 3). That was why I traded in my Mazda 3 for this bimmer. This is definitely not fun at all of calling them up to resolve the problem, videoing it everyday, driving with unknown problem (safe to drive or not), making time to do research and bringing the car to the shop...etc...

I am not sure if the problem that you had with your car is the same as mine. Did you record the problem? I will post the link for the videos that I posted on YouTube for you to see. If you could let me know, I greatly appreciate your help. Right now, I am stucked and not moving anywhere, until the BMW USA Customer Relations comes back to me with a resolution.

Thank you!!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
If it were my car, I would invest the time in bringing it back every time the problem popped up. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and if you don't bring it in, it's far too easy for them to just ignore your problem. You've spent a lot of money for your new car and having it act up in this way is unacceptable. Burn your videos to a DVD if they can't reproduce it for themselves.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
1. How much does it cost to replace VANOS solenoid if it's out of warranty?
2. Was the replaced solenoid of a new built or the same defective design that might fault again?
3. kalinalu, if the dealer can't fix it 3 times isn't it qualify for lemon law? Just record the shakes as evidence.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 PM

I also want to bring my car in, but I need to make appointment. The dealership is booked until this Friday. Plus, the dealership said that they can't do anything more when I talked to them last time. It doesn't seem that they are very helpful.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:47 AM

Here are the links to the videos for my bimmer's problem!!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinalu View Post
Hi Bethelaine,

I saw your post through my sister's boyfriend assistance. He pointed it out to your post after he saw the video that I recorded related to the issue that I have with my 2011 BMW 328xi.

It is a brand new car that I bought in October 2011. Two weeks later after driving, the car's RPM jumped up and down while the entire engine shook crazily, in addition to the weird engine noise coming out. I brought the car back to the dealership, and initially, they couldn't figure out the problem. They told me that they had a case like this for 10 year-old BMW. So, I left the car with them during my Christmas holidays for fixing. They came back and said that it has to do with the version of the software. They called me a few weeks later and informed me that they figured out which software and updated. I got really happy and went to pick up my car.

Two days later, the same problem happened again. I called my dealership, and also filed my complaints with BMW USA Customer Relations. Basically, my dealership told me that they couldn't do anything more unless BMW comes out with a solution or updated version as they deemed that they did their best of fixing the problem; however, I am more than welcomed to bring my car in. Meanwhile, BMW USA Customer Relation Representative has not been actively assisting me getting rid of my headache on the car. I videoed the problem of the car every day when I drive (which is only twice a day). Perhaps, I have short patience when it comes to car, especially when I was hoping that this new luxury car would not bring me any problems that I have had with the old car (Mazda 3). That was why I traded in my Mazda 3 for this bimmer. This is definitely not fun at all of calling them up to resolve the problem, videoing it everyday, driving with unknown problem (safe to drive or not), making time to do research and bringing the car to the shop...etc...

I am not sure if the problem that you had with your car is the same as mine. Did you record the problem? I will post the link for the videos that I posted on YouTube for you to see. If you could let me know, I greatly appreciate your help. Right now, I am stucked and not moving anywhere, until the BMW USA Customer Relations comes back to me with a resolution.

Thank you!!
I suggest you try another BMW dealer. It sounds to me that it's the same Vanos solenoid issue as above and this can and should be diagnosed by the dealer. It seems your dealer doesn't want to do this which is wrong. If CALWATERBOY does not respond in this thread you may want to PM him and get his thoughts.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Do you have video for your problem? I dropped off the car this morning with my dealer and also gave them the videos. They kept on telling me that it has to do with the cold weather and software needs to update because the current version can't handle the weather. I am hoping that they can fix the problem, or it would be lemon car. Btw, who is CALWATERBOY?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:00 PM

Btw, I forgot to mention in my last post. This morning, I bought my car into the same dealer, and showed them a few videos. The Lead Technician watched the videos, and he deemed that if the RPM does not move more than 5 marks (on the meter), he deemed it as "normal" even the engine shakes. Is that true? Any experts, please advise.

I also mentioned that I saw a posting in BMW forum on "rough idle misfiring with Vanos", and seem to be the same issue. He said that my car is not "misfiring", but it has to do with the car with a software not being up-to-date; therefore, the car was unable to handle when it is cold. Is it true? I, personally, don't believe so as I have videos recorded under temperature ranking from 18F to 55F.

In addition, I have a quad-band phone. When I put it in the container between the arm rest and the gear shift knob, it caused an extremely loud static /reception noise (which you could hear in one of the video dated 1-23-2012). I mentioned to the Lead Technician about it. He said that it was because my phone is quad-band and unlocked phone, where currently, the reception towers in America are not capable of the quad band. Therefore, it caused the loud static noise. Is this true? Has anyone of you experienced this?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinalu View Post
Btw, I forgot to mention in my last post. This morning, I bought my car into the same dealer, and showed them a few videos. The Lead Technician watched the videos, and he deemed that if the RPM does not move more than 5 marks (on the meter), he deemed it as "normal" even the engine shakes. Is that true? Any experts, please advise.
Normal?! What I see at about 10 minutes in during the first video is perhaps normal for a Crown Vic taxi with 320,000 miles on it, but not for a new BMW!