Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:32 AM

Mein Auto: e65 735i
2002 E65 735i safety module warning - help needed please

Grettings, great forum you have got here and I am really hoping some fellow 7 series owners can help me out here..!!

It could be coincedence but I fitted my sons child seat in to the front of the car the other month, and literally the next day, I started getting errors saying 'safety system warning' and the airbag light and another one would come on.

After some googling I decided to get INPA etc and reset the codes myself. So after getting it working on my laptop i read the codes from the car.

There was a few stored errors so i reset it and since then this pops up after the warning light comes on

MODULE SBSR Status OK 2errors stored
98 D5 20
98 EC 60

Now, when I reset it, it comes back on usually within seconds to minutes of getting in the car again. I have checked all connectors under the seat to the occupancy sensor (the passenger one has a bypass widget on it)
I cant find what the fault could be?? I cant find a code list for inpa either!

I've tried getting DIS working and it just hangs on vehicle selection screen, so thats out for the time being.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Last edited by darkhorse; 10-16-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-16-2013, 12:34 AM

when I scan the safety system module (which I suspected) it always comes back ok, as do the other modules lol
Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 735i
Hey Here is the code list

Hey I have got a different problem but here the code list... this ones will give you the answers..
so open and use the find option pop your code.. it says something about resistance and circuit firing... good luckBmw Code Sheet (1).pdf
Old 10-16-2013, 05:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
0x7C6198D5 98D5 Resistance, firing circuit, front airbag, right (E85), or passenger
airbag (E6x), stage 2, too high

0x7C6198EC 98EC Resistance, firing circuit, thorax airbag, rear right (E85, E60,
E61), or knee airbag, front right (E63, E64), not measured

front air bag is bad, either code it out or replace.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushmach View Post
Hey I have got a different problem but here the code list... this ones will give you the answers..
so open and use the find option pop your code.. it says something about resistance and circuit firing... good luckAttachment 402436
Thanks very much, that is a most useful document

Nygel - thanks, could you elaborate a little?
the 98EC code doesn't have anything specific to an E65?? Im confused lol

With regards to the front passenger? airbag being faulty. Is this a common problem? how easy are they to replace? and if not what do I code it out with and can anyone tell me how please?

THANKS

Last edited by darkhorse; 10-16-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat
Could be that the bypass gizmo is on the blink - for all they cost might it be worth getting a new one to see if that fixes it? :idea:
Cheers. I did think that so I scanned again and the occupancy seat mat code error appeared... so the gizmo is working.

Anyway, I made some progress today (I think). I got BMW DIS working on the laptop and after clearing the codes on INPA, restarted so the error came back, and then ran DIS.

Two interesting things happened.
Firstly, DIS worked and scanned all of the car and modules. The 'recharge battery' light came on after it had been running for literally 3 minutes... and during the second scan (long story) the battery actually died and the car wouldn't start/// Now this battery is only 3 months old, the guy I bought the car off had it fitted but insisted it didnt have to be coded to the car?? I dont think its related to this but worth mentioning. I am going to take it off and charge it tomorrow anyway.

the main discovery is Satellite B Pillar right fault found - Diag code - D6577-SBSR0000_90_003

And when the codes are cleared this pops right back up.

BMW part number - 6949910

So I am going to get one off ebay, however even some listed for my year of car are different PN. This part has been superceded several times.
Is it a nightmare job coding the second hand module??

thanks
Old 10-20-2013, 02:15 PM

Another update...
The only code that is registering is the one listed below as relates to the satellite b pillar...
I am confused as Inpa registers this as the 98 EC fault??

I have noticed that the idle seems a little bit bumpy sometimes and was wondering if the satellite module in the B pillar which controls the fuel pump would also do this?

nygel- what do you think ?
cheers
Old 10-20-2013, 04:21 PM

Re: 2002 E65 735i safety module warning - help needed please

98EC points to the knee airbag on the passenger side. If you car has a rough idle check fuel flow restrictions such as filter regulator. Also measure if you can the fuel pressure at idle, it should be around 43psi. Also check fir vacuum leaks via crack or broken hoses

Sent from my HTCONE using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Nygel; 11-18-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygel View Post
98EC points to the knee airbag on the passenger side. If you car has a rough idle check fuel flow restrictions such as filter regulator. Also measure if you can the furl pressure at idle, it should be around 43psi. Also check fir vacuum leaks via crack or broken hoses

Thanks.
I've bought a new(used but working) satellite b pillar module so will see if I can fit it and code it in and if that doesn't fix the fault will have to look into the passenger airbag.
No idea what I'm doing with this car at this point so it's quite a steep learning curve
Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
2002 E65 735i safety module warning - help needed please

Did you figure out what type of battery you have? If it's not an AGM battery, you should probably replace it with one and have it registered.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-22-2013, 04:56 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Thanks.
I've bought a new(used but working) satellite b pillar module so will see if I can fit it and code it in and if that doesn't fix the fault will have to look into the passenger airbag.
No idea what I'm doing with this car at this point so it's quite a steep learning curve
you need to have that coded & VIN changed to match your
car or you will still have the same problem ...

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 10-22-2013, 06:36 PM

Like snoop said, check your battery and verify all is well.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
Did you figure out what type of battery you have? If it's not an AGM battery, you should probably replace it with one and have it registered.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thanks guys.
Can someone confirm what an AGM battery is please?!!!
Im going to go and check the battery type now, I am pretty sure its not OEM though it was fine for a while after I bought the car.

Regards the module - yes, I know I have got to code it and register it! That is a pleasure I am saving for the next day or two. I've got all the software working on my laptop to do it... I just need to understand it now

I will fully charge my battery as well. thanks
Old 10-23-2013, 12:13 PM

I believe its Absolute Glass Mat

Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 E65 750i
"Since September 2002 BMW vehicles have also been equipped with so- called Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) batteries, better known as Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries."

Good read.. AGM starts on pg. 25
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55123115,d.b2I
Old 11-17-2013, 02:22 PM

thanks guys.
I went to remove the b pillar module tonight (finally got time...) and the seat belt tensioner part at the bottom of the pillar clearly has to come out. However it doesnt seem to want to!!! Has anyone removed this part got any advice? TIS doesn't go into detail. I am very concerned that I will damage the fibre optics if I use brute force, and the cables run tightly next to it.

Any advice appreciated!