Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier1605 View Post
Any Feedback Pleeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need to know... This is going to be my huge summer project I just want to make sure I don't f.....ck everything!!!!!!!!!!
Yes!!! Worked out perfectly. Dremil cutter- A must. A small tool set from home depot that looks like dentist pick set ($4) - helped a lot, specially the hook and straight angle pick.
Sealed with clear gasket sealer silicone. When it cures its gummy and flexible, heat and water resistant. $3 - autozone

Polished glass with plasticX compound "cleaner and polish" (Autozone $8) using 1800rpm drill with sponge attachment from 3M Headlight restore kit.

And yea, sorry no detailed pic walk through, I started at 4am and finished at 11am, taking pics was the last thing i wanted to do. So only before and after, not the best iPhone pics i took, but it is what it is.

Just follow the original guys notes and pics, that is what I used, once headlight is in your hands - it'll all make sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 21.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	327126   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 23.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	327127   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 25.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	327128   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 24.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	327129   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	327130  

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	327131  

Last edited by apomerans; 05-29-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Took couple pic with iPhone.dont know how to upload.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto: 735i E65 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by apomerans View Post
Yes!!! Worked out perfectly. Dremil cutter- A must. A small tool set from home depot that looks like dentist pick set ($4) - helped a lot, specially the hook and straight angle pick.
Sealed with clear gasket sealer silicone. When it cures its gummy and flexible, heat and water resistant. $3 - autozone

Polished glass with plasticX compound "cleaner and polish" (Autozone $8) using 1800rpm drill with sponge attachment from 3M Headlight restore kit.

And yea, sorry no detailed pic walk through, I started at 4am and finished at 11am, taking pics was the last thing i wanted to do. So only before and after, not the best iPhone pics i took, but it is what it is.

Just follow the original guys notes and pics, that is what I used, once headlight is in your hands - it'll all make sense.
Thanks a lot for your answers...The result was awesome. I think it`s worth every single minute of your sleepless night!!! Congrats. I understand you followed all the steps from the first post. Was it very difficult? Did you cut the plastic around the glass with the dremmel? Again thanks for posting...
Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver745li View Post
Took couple pic with iPhone.dont know how to upload.
1. Sign up on 'photobucket'
2. upload your pics
3. copy the 'IMG' on photobucket and paste it in the reply block

This is one of the possibilities but I know there are more... Waiting to se your pictures....

Last edited by javier1605; 05-30-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 AM

Mein Auto: E30
You know if you guys put em in the oven for about 10 mins at 350 they pull apart with ease

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Bimmer App
Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_junkie View Post
You know if you guys put em in the oven for about 10 mins at 350 they pull apart with ease

Are you sure? I'm asking that because I remember someone who tried this before without result and posted here that this sealing wouldn't come off so easily... Have you tried by yourself in this precise headlight model? Thanks....
Old 05-30-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Are you sure? I'm asking that because I remember someone who tried this before without result and posted here that this sealing wouldn't come off so easily... Have you tried by yourself in this precise headlight model? Thanks....
Yea I used to do custom work paint matching headlight bezzles removing orange reflectors etc. It cuts the time in half. I haven't done any BMW's but I've done a whole bunch of cars and it is the best method for pulling them apart you just need to be careful and not over cook them because you'll ruin the headlight

Old 05-30-2012, 12:44 AM

Here's a write up on how to do it
http://www.celicahobby.com/forums/ub...he-Inside.html

Old 05-30-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_junkie View Post
Yea I used to do custom work paint matching headlight bezzles removing orange reflectors etc. It cuts the time in half. I haven't done any BMW's but I've done a whole bunch of cars and it is the best method for pulling them apart you just need to be careful and not over cook them because you'll ruin the headlight

Thanks for your answers... I've been searching and finally I found the post from someone who tried to bake them without result in his e65 headlight...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=349588

sarhane46
Mein auto: 2001 BMW 330ci
View My Garage

e65 headlight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i tried baking mine yesterday for my e65 and no luck. i went from 175 degrees for 15 mins, to 250 degrees for 15-20 mins to 350 degrees for 10 mins and the glue doesnt melt at ALL!!!!!!! i already bought a pair of new ones so i didnt really care for the old ones. i also tried it with a heat gun, but that gets too hot and start melting the lens, the glue still doesnt melt thou.
i believe those people who do it, but i dont know if it actually works on the e65.

does anyone have any ideas on this?????
Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your answers...The result was awesome. I think it`s worth every single minute of your sleepless night!!! Congrats. I understand you followed all the steps from the first post. Was it very difficult? Did you cut the plastic around the glass with the dremmel? Again thanks for posting...
Difficult - not very. Once you start cutting and then breaking off pieces - yea, there was a thought "Oh $#!%, there is no way back", but keep on, it'll work. Yes, I cut the edge around the glass and stripped top piece with screwdriver, and separated the bottom edge with box cutter and angle picks.

Here is another tip if you go the "cutting way" - see pic: View of glass edge inside housing - side view

Housing= blue
Glass edge = green

Whenever possible, i tried to cut with dremel (see 1) there. That way I did not even need to use the angle tool afterwards to separate rubber from glass. Box cutter blade went stright in and cut was nice and fast.
Try to leave about a 1mm of that verticle edge, this way it'll stop/position the glass evenly when you put it back on.

There will be places where you might not be able to cut at (#1), so cut at #2 angle, and you see that thats where you'll need an angle cutting contraption to get between housing and glass.

Also, at some places there will be either a bolt housing piece, or some other non regular shape - so I cut through those too.

There will be 1 place, I think at the bottom/middle of the housing strip, where an irregular line goes across the housing strip. There is metal inside, going from the aluminum square. Dont cut that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	327191  

Last edited by apomerans; 05-30-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your answers... I've been searching and finally I found the post from someone who tried to bake them without result in his e65 headlight...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=349588

sarhane46
Mein auto: 2001 BMW 330ci
View My Garage

e65 headlight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i tried baking mine yesterday for my e65 and no luck. i went from 175 degrees for 15 mins, to 250 degrees for 15-20 mins to 350 degrees for 10 mins and the glue doesnt melt at ALL!!!!!!! i already bought a pair of new ones so i didnt really care for the old ones. i also tried it with a heat gun, but that gets too hot and start melting the lens, the glue still doesnt melt thou.
i believe those people who do it, but i dont know if it actually works on the e65.

does anyone have any ideas on this?????
Yea, if you actually cut the headlight open and cut off a piece of that sealing that glues the glass to housing you will quickly realize that its not glue - its rubber, yea, like tire rubber. No way that will ever melt before your headlight does.

Last edited by apomerans; 05-30-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Super Daddy

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Not sure if this was answered or not, but is taking off the bumper absolutely necessary? I love DIYs when the part isnt friggin $800 to replace. Major props at the courage to take on the task. This would be a great money making service! Im willing to pay... Time and Money are the same, i have more of the latter!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdotpeezy View Post
Not sure if this was answered or not, but is taking off the bumper absolutely necessary? I love DIYs when the part isnt friggin $800 to replace. Major props at the courage to take on the task. This would be a great money making service! Im willing to pay... Time and Money are the same, i have more of the latter!
Yes.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 01 540it
looks great,

I would have painted the corners black while I was in there for that Euro look but I see your point about having a little color since your car is black already. Black corners would look better on a silver car or white.

"If everyone thought the same when it came to modding there would be no thinking"

Last edited by BMW fanatico; 05-30-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apomerans View Post
Difficult - not very. Once you start cutting and then breaking off pieces - yea, there was a thought "Oh $#!%, there is no way back", but keep on, it'll work. Yes, I cut the edge around the glass and stripped top piece with screwdriver, and separated the bottom edge with box cutter and angle picks.

Here is another tip if you go the "cutting way" - see pic: View of glass edge inside housing - side view

Housing= blue
Glass edge = green

Whenever possible, i tried to cut with dremel (see 1) there. That way I did not even need to use the angle tool afterwards to separate rubber from glass. Box cutter blade went stright in and cut was nice and fast.
Try to leave about a 1mm of that verticle edge, this way it'll stop/position the glass evenly when you put it back on.

There will be places where you might not be able to cut at (#1), so cut at #2 angle, and you see that thats where you'll need an angle cutting contraption to get between housing and glass.

Also, at some places there will be either a bolt housing piece, or some other non regular shape - so I cut through those too.

There will be 1 place, I think at the bottom/middle of the housing strip, where an irregular line goes across the housing strip. There is metal inside, going from the aluminum square. Dont cut that.
Nothing else to say... Very well explained! Now I'm sure this is going to be my next summer project. I think is worth the risk. On my last e38 750i it made a huge difference, so I guess in this car will be awesome.

I'm thinking about painting the black plastic interior in grey to match the colour of my car, but it's just an idea...

Again thanks a lot for your detailed answer!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 750Li, 11 MDX, 04 MDX
Thankfully I don't have this problem but that was a great write up, always looking to learn. Excellent

2008 750 Li Alpine White/Creme
The economy will get worse before it gets worse.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Super Daddy

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Can somebody make this a sticky, so its a readily available reference, kinda like the angel eye sticky.

Check out this Euro Headlight, im in process of having my housing cleaned, but while i have it off, im thinking of changing out the amber part. what would be best route to go? just paint this part metallic silver or what. i havent seen a EU headlight up close. any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	euro head light.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	327326  
Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 01 540it
I retract my statement about black corners looking to black on a black car, look at this B7 pre-facelift with the Euro corners in black. I think it looks great

"If everyone thought the same when it came to modding there would be no thinking"
Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW fanatico View Post
I retract my statement about black corners looking to black on a black car, look at this B7 pre-facelift with the Euro corners in black. I think it looks great

Old 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745li
Hey guys. New here and glad I found this forum. Just bought a 745li and the dirty, foggy inside of the headlights are driving me crazy. Thanks for the DIY tutorial, I think it is above my pay grade. Anyone interested in performing this service? For money of course. Thanks again all and glad to be a part of he forum!!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745LI
Nice DIY! Love the Black corners too!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 bmw 745il
You gave up hours of your time to help people as may others offen do at bimmerfest ,An Excellent website run by great people . super members,always looking to help , great job too all P.S.GREAT TATOOS
Old 08-05-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 750i Sport (form.JagXJR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW fanatico View Post

Gorgeous. Might want to take apart the lenses on mine. Will it work the same for 2006's ?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: Beemer Soon!
Tackling this mod today. Headlights out, dremel ready, looking at his pics a few more times before I start to cut....
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: Beemer Soon!
Holy $hit that was a PIA! On a scale of 1-10, that is a 7. They are back together and the adhesive is drying. They will be re-installed in the morning. I have about 6 hours into the whole project. You really hack up your lights, but its in areas that are not going to be seen. I also found Black adhesive RTV at Autozone for $10. I took a couple of pictures that I think will help explain a little more. I blew out my dremel and it took about 4 cutting blades to get through both lights.

Soapy water doesnt get rid of the haze on the inside. I tried clay bar with spray polish, everything I had in my arsenal. What ended up working the easiest and best was an "all purpose adhesive remover". This applies easily and wipes clean. I took a high speed buffer and polished the outside of the lenses too while they were off. I painted the corner lense (was yellow) black and I removed the tint over the outside of the lenses. I will post finished pics later this week. START THIS PROJECT FIRST THING IN THE MORNING! Buy everything first..