Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-19-2017, 07:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Question about small amp connection.

Want to put in a small class D amplifier, the Focal Impulse D4.320, http://www.focal-america.com/product/impulse4320/ under the glove compartment.
Reading the manual it says that if you connect via the battery it needs a 25 amp fuse by the battery, but if you use an ISO harness it can do with a 15 A fuse. (Page 14). There doesnt seem to be a fuse on the amp itself.
I am not sure what they mean with "using an ISO harness", I am not planning on any adapter cables.
Radio has three fuses now, 7,5 and two 5A.
I am trying to avoid routing a power cable to the trunk, it would be so much easier connecting everything behind the dash.
So, question is, can I connect power to it there?
I discovered an unused fuse in the car, I dont have heating in the seats, and ther is no fuse in the slot for this, that is fuse no: 32 and it should be a 15A fuse, if I get a fuse piggyback, can I connect it here?
In the wire harness going to the LCM there is a power cable, the previous owner took power from this cable to a long beam headlight switch on the dash since the LCM transistors were srewed up but these are now fixed. I guess its not a good idea to take power from here, not sure where that power comes from really.
I guess I could mount the amp next to the battery but that still means routing eight sets of speaker cables to the trunk since I use high level inputs....
Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
You can easily add a fused circuit to fuse block over the glovebox. See this DIY
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=5

For a 15A circuit you'll need a heavier gauge wire than the 1 mm2 (~18 awg) noted in the post.
For 15A or 25A circuits you'll need 2.5 mm2 (~14 AWG) lead which would be pt # 61 13 0 007 440.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:47 AM

Thanks for the tip.
I am having some difficulty finding the right schematic for the wires, the one I normally look at is https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...1&d=1401378544 but even this is not correct for me. The white wire froom the radio connector, which should be the antenna wire is totally missing in my connector, nothing connects to pin 16. However, I tested and saw the blue wire is ignition power so its fine. Dont see a blue wire in this schematic but it doesnt matter.
http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/t...0(non-DSP).htm , this is for the speaker wires, its the same as the previous link but I was trying to find polarity of the speakers. I guess like the comment says the pluss and minus sign for the front woofers should be reversed. The connector shape indicated in this link is of course also different from the normal round 16 pin square connector in my car but the speakers color code is the same.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Amp is here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2279.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	592187  

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search