Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-24-2014, 10:21 AM
J&T Distributing

Mein Auto: BMWs
Arrow DYNAVIN N6 E39 Multimedia GPS System, New for mid-2014

DYNAVIN N6

Dynavin has made some BIG changes to their Audio/Video/Navigation System offerings, enough to warrant a new thread, and to hopefully keep all the relevant info and discussions in one place for future users of this forum. Please lets try to keep this thread about Dynavin and try to keep it informative, Q & A stuff....try to leave opinions and speculation out of it, there are already 100 other pages of that. Thank you in advance.

The new N6 unit is 2 years in the making, with a big emphasis on higher quality audio components, features, and improved ease of use. You audiophiles will appreciate features like 24bit burr brown D/A converters, 5 band EQ, time alignment, 4 volt preamp outputs (for those of you with aftermarket amps), basically higher end internals across the board... The result is cleaner sound, much more consistent performance, a much better user interface, and a better appearance.

NOW COMPATIBLE WITH THE OEM DSP SYSTEM.....those of you with DSP systems who have looked into upgrades know how big of a deal this is and how much time, labor, frustration, $$$ this will save you!

As always, they are available in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit the BMW E46, E39, E53, E90,, and an assortment of Audi, VW, Porsche and Mercedes models.

Details can be found on Dynavin's website, http://www.dynavin.com

Or my website: http://www.jandtdistributing.com/

If you are not familiar with dynavin read up on last years model here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...fo-and-Q-amp-A

And the Dynavin FAQ:
http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavin...ons/faq-links/

Thanks to forum member Stuck for the in car pics....

So lets get to it! WHATS NEW?

Home Screen

Like previous Dynavin units the source button brings up a source selection screen, large easy to press on-screen buttons display your most used sources for easy selection.

Swiping the screen side to side reveals a selection various settings menus and ALL of the potential sources.

While the Radio, Phone, and Navigation buttons are fixed on the home screen the other two are selectable so you can put your most used functions there for easy access.

The knobs are similar to those on the D99 and newer, and thats a good thing, solid with a muted click as they turn. The unit has a similar "feel" and is cosmetically similar to the prior D99+ units.

IPOD/SD/USB/Internal HD

As part of the simplification and refinement of the new N6 user interface the ipod, SD, USB, and the internal 4GB storage functions all share the same basic interface. Simple and intuitive, with selections for artist/album/song/playlist, and in the case of SD and USB, additional selections for folders/video files/picture files. The list can be swiped up and down and there is a scroll bar on the side AND a quick jump alphabetical search allowing you to jump to any letter in the lists so large libraries are no longer a problem to navigate.

Also in the name of simplicity the ipod now just plugs into the USB plug, no more proprietary cables, no more need for lighting adapters for the newer apple devices. Just use the cables you already have. The unit comes with a USB extension to get the rear mounted USB media plug to the glove compartment, console, etc... and we also have on our website flush mount USB plugs and ipod to USB cables if you want to do something a little more custom.

Album art now displays alongside the track info. As you can see, clean and refined is what Dynavin was after here....
Interestingly apps like pandora display similarly (from my iphone at least), displaying track info and album art.

For those of you interested in higher end audio the unit will play lossless files, In my testing FLAC files played fine from USB and SD and Apple lossless (ALAC) played fine from an ipod.

BLUTOOTH PHONE

Dynavin continues to work with Parrot on the bluetooth system, its now cleaner than ever, will display your phonebook, and has a quick alphabetical search function to jump to any letter in the alphabet. As before it works with the phone buttons on your steering wheel. There is a built in mic AND an external mic, as before I recommend using the external mic as it allows you to experiment with its location for best results.

BLUETOOTH AUDIO STREAMING (A2DP)

This is another big step forward, the Bluetooth audio streaming quality is now as good as plugging in, It connects pretty much immediately and works with apps like pandora, stitcher, etc... in addition to your standard media apps. In addition track info is now displayed on the screen:

The steering wheel control buttons work as well, including in apps like pandora. I find that this is now my go-to choice as a music source.

RADIO, CD, DVD etc...

The radio is what you would expect, 15 presets, RDS, Pretty standard stuff here. Settings for different regions etc...

The unit plays CDs, DVDs, etc.... same as before.

NAVIGATION

As with previous dynavin units we are able to offer our units with pre-installed, licensed iGo Primo on our Dynavin units. This program has long been a favorite of the "hacker community" and I know some of our competitors are pirating it but Im glad to say we can offer it to everybody in a legit legal way. The licenses are not cheap but we include Primo with all of our Dynavin units. This also greatly simplifies things like future map updates etc... as iGo is well established and has an easy upgrade path available via their website www.naviextras.com

Its clean and intuitive, easy to quickly search and enter addresses, all the maps are already on board so no internet connection is needed.

The new N6 unit has an option to overlay the current media info over the nav screen, displaying track info and album art

A few more iGo Primo Screens...

Main Menu

Main Map screen

REVERSE FUNCTIONS

As always the new Dynavin N6 will work with a reverse camera, but dynavin continues to refine this function to work with PDC (parking sensors, if your car has them) and is completely configurable within the settings menu. You can have just a backup camera, PDC, backup cam WITH PDC displayed, or nothing at all.

In cars that have canbus connected steering angle sensors the unit can even display parking assist lines that move based on steering angle, this is model dependent and remains to be seen what all cars it will work in....but for those where it does its some cool eye candy:

AUDIO FUNCTIONS

Here is where some of the biggest changes are.....Dynavin is going after a higher end market and as such has added a lot of good audio features to the new N6. Time alignment, three band bass/mid/treble AND a 5 band EQ with separate sub control, 4 volt RCAs for clean signal transmission to aftermarket amps, and 24bit burr brown D/A converters....you old school audio guys will know what thats about.

Most of you guys probably dont know what time alignment is or what to do with it but its probably the single biggest factor affecting sound quality in a car stereo environment, this adjustment allows for you to delay the speakers at the 4 corners of the car independently so that the sound from each reaches your ears as the same time....basically putting YOU in the "sweet spot". Ive been running time alignment of one kind or another for a couple decades now, in my opinion its a MUST HAVE for any higher end system. One thing to keep in mind though is setting this wrong can also make your system sound terrible so its important to at least understand the basic fundamentals of time delay before you jump into this setting. Also keep in mind this is optimizing ONE spot in the car at the detriment to the other seating positions. So if you regularly listen to music with passengers you may not want to use these settings.

5 band EQ, self explanatory:

LIGHTING AND SCREEN ILLUMINATION

Dynavins have always had matching button lighting, not a big deal, but FYI, the buttons match the other buttons in the car and dim with the dash light dimmer. Nice and OEM.

Now this next thing may not sound like a big deal at first, but for day to day, real world use....its HUGE. The LCD dimmer can be configured in multiple ways and the dimming amount is fully adjustable. There is now an onboard ambient light sensor as well. SO you can set the unit up to dim when your headlights come on OR when the sensor sees its getting dark, or you can dim it manually. There are pros and cons to each approach and the overall ambient lighting where you are at and your headlight use habits will dictate which setup will work best for you. The adjustable LCD dimmer looks great as it does not just darken the screen as most "dimmers" do, it dims the backlight, so there is no "LCD glow" at night. Between the nicely dimmed screen and the clean white/red on black interface this is the best looking aftermarket unit at night ive ever seen

A night pic in my E92,

A friends E46,

ETC...

You can set the boot screen to whatever you like. Put it on a SD or USB and select it as your boot screen, real simple. A word about start up.... The N6 has about a 20 second boot time BUT dynavin has done something clever, the unit starts booting when you unlock or open a door.... and it does not fully turn off until about 20 minutes after you shut the car off, it goes into a standby mode. So in regular use, running errands, that sort of thing, you rarely see the boot screen, or if you do its only for a few seconds. I like things clean and OEM so I went with this in my personal car....

Its easy to set, just put the picture file on an SD card or USB drive, find it with the dynavin's file browser and just press the icon in the lower left.

Dynavin went to an oem style Fakra antenna plug on the unit so that the cars antenna can plug directly into the unit without any adapters. One less thing to install, one less thing to go wrong. For those of you with the old style antenna they provide an adapter.

There is still an OBC display but at least on the E46/E39/E53 it doesnt show much at this time....just a couple temps. This DOES NOT have anything to do with the stock stereo/MID obc functions, as always, whatever functions exist within your gauges and are controlled by the BC button remain unchanged, whatever functions exist solely on your head unit, you loose :

On my E92 there is a lot more, Im assuming this is a canbus/ibus difference thing, I guess it just depends on the particular model:

Advertisement
Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 AM
J&T Distributing

HINTS, TIPS, AND HIDDEN FEATURES

Ill be adding little hints and tricks here as I run across them and people ask about them.

REBOOT
Since the N6 does not actually turn off with the key but instead goes into standby mode for a period of time, getting it to reboot could be a tedious wait....but you dont have to, just hold down the source button for 6 seconds and the unit will reboot.

UPDATES
Go to dynavins website for the latest firmware updates, go to the product page for the unit that you have (N6-E9X in this case) and scroll to the bottom to see the DynOS firmware download link, in the case of the E39 that is here: http://www.dynavin.com/products/n6_e39.php

Its easy to update and the instructions are in the download link but to reiterate, download the files from dynavins website, extract them and put the 3 files on an SD card. Put the SD card in the MMC slot in the dynavin, go to the "info" setting on the second home page and press the blue "update now" button. Then just wait for the unit to run the update, it will restart when its done.

If you are using the same SD card that you keep your music on, delete the update files from the SD card when you are done.

US UNITS AND 12 HOUR CLOCK
DynOS 1.0.1 or later required....see above.

The dynavin by default will display all the OBC screens in metric and the clock in 24 hour format. There is now a setting in the system settings menu to select EU or USA for the unit, change it to USA and you will find that all the units are now SAE and the clock is 12 hour.

Keep in mind that there are some other regional settings such as the radio region setting (European or US frequencies) and of course all the navigation related regional settings....these settings are in the specific radio or nav settings menus.

TIME ALIGNMENT
What is time alignment? In a car you sit on the left side, placing you closer to the left side speaker, so the sound from the left side gets to your ears before the the right side and greatly reduces your sound sound quality. The goal in high end audio is to create a solid aural image of each musician at a certain point in space on a a perceived soundstage. By delaying the near side channel we can bring the sound back into "alignment" and put you in the "sweet spot."

Sitting in the drivers seat measure the distance to each speaker (the front and rear mids in the case of the E9X). In my personal car it looks something like this (your car will be different):

FL: 28in (71cm)
FR: 48in (124cm)
RL: 24in (61cm)
RR: 42in (107cm)

Take the longest distance and subtract the other distance from that number...

So we end up with:

FL: 53cm
FR: 0cm
RL: 63cm
RR: 17cm

In a recording there are sounds and musicians to the left, the right, and the center, it's the center that we are concerned with here. Most of the time the drums and primarily the vocalist are in the center. We want to select a music track that has some space in it so we don't want a heavily overdubbed recording with lots of backing vocals....too much noise.

Set the fader to the front so we are only hearing the front pair of speakers. Enter the delay numbers above and put on some music. It should sound pretty good. Then raise one side of the delay settings, say the front left. As you do this you will hear the sound change, it will become hollow, out of focus, kind of a "in a tin can" kind of sound, your front speakers are now out of phase. Then lower the setting, as you pass the correct setting you will hear the sound come back into "focus", the vocals will move to the center of the car and become more solid. Keep going and you will hear it go out of phase again. Now go back towards you original setting again and listen as the music becomes focused again. Somewhere near the number we calculated above you will find the "sweet spot" where the vocals and bass are centered in the car and solid.

Then fade the rear speakers back in a little bit at a time until the sound is full and pleasing but not at the expense of the solid centered imaging. And that's it. Now you can play around with the EQ and other audio adjustments.

Try the above and if you have never hear a time aligned system you might be surprised by what you hear....it's a different experience than you are used to....

Let me know if you have questions....I've been running time alignment in all of my personal cars for....a long time now...

E39 Mounting Bracket

dynavin now includes an E39 mounting bracket, it replaces the factory bracket allowing for the higher CD slot, larger screen etc of the E39A unit. How to make this work in an E53 remains to be seen although I'm sure you ingenious forum DIYers will figure it out.

The bracket comes in 5 pieces and screws together in a couple minutes. The side parts go into the dash FIRST, then the center section is installed.

IT goes in the dash first, and then the dynavin slides into it.

The Dynavin then clips into the bracket with a little spring clip on each side. DONT LOOSE THE CLIPS! They can get pulled off if you repeatedly remove the unit and can get lost in the dash. To minimize the odds of loosing/damaging them, leave the unit loose until you are sure that everything is working as it is intended, then snap the unit into place.

Thanks to member 'thxalot' for these pics of how the bracket goes in the dash, the bracket should go BEHIND the plastic dash parts with the included screws going in from the front side, through the holes in the dash (remove the brass colored clips from the dash) and thread into the bracket, You put the side brackets in the dash FIRST, then attach the center section to tie them together.

Like this:

NOT like this:

BOOT LOGO
Due to popular demand....here are some boot logo screens you guys can use....

To put a custom boot screen on your dynavin just copy and paste any 800X480 to a SD card or USB, jpg, png, bmp, all seem to work. Put the SD or USB in the Dynavin, select the appropriate source on the dynavin and find the pic you want to use, when you are viewing it simply press the icon in the lower left and and a check mark will appear. DONE!

I made this one, use it as you like....

I dont know where this one came from....but credit to whoever made it....

Credit to 1QuikWS6 for submitting these:

Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 AM
J&T Distributing

UPDATE:

We now have the N6 working with all configurations of DSP systems, in both the 5 series and the X5, plug and play.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528ia , X5 4.4 S, 335i cp
Wonderful, wonderful news indeed! I have one question- does factory PDC come up on the unit as displayed on your website? Here's a pic of it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pdc.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	473166  

Old 10-30-2014, 03:00 PM
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Wonderful, wonderful news indeed! I have one question- does factory PDC come up on the unit as displayed on your website? Here's a pic of it:
Yes, and it can be a few different ways, for instance if you have a backup camera the PDC graphic will just occupy the upper right corner of the screen, or you can go full screen with it if you dont have a camera.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Mr. Mack

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
Not sure if I missed it, but what software is this running on?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540i Msport 6MT
You should gift me one for..........review purposes?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:41 AM
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqBimmer View Post
Not sure if I missed it, but what software is this running on?
dedicated OS....its a stereo not a computer and not one of those android based units that are everywhere now days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrybry View Post
You should gift me one for..........review purposes?
Sorry, this thread might be relatively new but these have been out for quite a while now...lots of reviews and extensive threads elsewhere....I just finally got around to posting something over here in this neck of the woods...
Old 11-04-2014, 02:11 AM
Big Body Speed

Mein Auto: 01 525i, 09 328x coupe
Is there a deal where if we send in our old dynavin system we can get a discount on the new system
Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 04 745Li
Dynavin N6 Installed

It works as advertised! I had the factory business cd with dsp. Dynavin was plug and play. Only issue I had was removing original radio frame... best upgrade you could ever to do to the e39
Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Big Body Speed

Mein Auto: 01 525i, 09 328x coupe
so no respond
Old 11-09-2014, 06:45 PM
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedninja View Post
Is there a deal where if we send in our old dynavin system we can get a discount on the new system
No, but the ebay market has been pretty good on these in the past....and there currently is a forum discount and free shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorfeeus View Post
It works as advertised! I had the factory business cd with dsp. Dynavin was plug and play. Only issue I had was removing original radio frame... best upgrade you could ever to do to the e39
Glad you are enjoying it.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:30 AM
J&T Distributing

Heres a good boot screen from the other thread for the E90 guys, food for thought for you E39 guys

And for the Porsche guys

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 11-13-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: '99 540i
Saw on a different unit where is was able to display graphically generated gauges like, oil pressure, actual cooling system temp etc. Is this unit able to do that? I'm in the market for one of this these, but think the e39 leaves a lot to be desired in real time engine monitoring for the driver and has exceptionally little space available to add any gauges so I'd really like to be able address this short coming.

Thanks,
doc
Old 11-13-2014, 09:57 AM
J&T Distributing

No, thats not a dynavin thing...

Check out Avin, they are all android units and can run the Torque android app, IT can generate "virtual gauges".

I carry both, make sure you read my FAQ on my website and some of the forum threads so you understand the tradeoffs of going one way or the other.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: '99 540i
Will do, thanks.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Mr. Mack

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
What are the trade offs of going with full android...? And what are the advantages this unit has over the Avin avant 2?
Old 11-13-2014, 11:38 AM
J&T Distributing

Start here:

http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links

Then look at this, its about the earlier model, the Avin Avant-2 has now replaced it with new hardware and new android but the concept is still the same:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...highlight=avin

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 11-13-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i (e39)
Curious on what Dennis thinks of the new upgrades...
Old 11-16-2014, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi jc8333,

The new N6 I think is definitely the 'best' choice for USA/Canadian based E39 owners wanting a Chinese replacement type head unit by a long shot. A step in the right direction is the N6 using a much higher grade DAC (digital to analogue converter), the direct support of the DSP type speakers in E39 DSP equipped cars and the promise of OBC support. Currently, none of the other similar chinese made head unit's offer these aspects. Add to that there is proper, easily accessible support and after sales care by Jeff based in Fresno California, then it's a wise and sensible and the 'only' choice for those considering such a unit. I'm not too familiar with the Avin unit but Jeff gives a link above to see the differences between the two choices offered. None of the other units offer anywhere the same levels of product capability, quality, support & after sales care so value for money and peace of mind is much greater when purchased via Jeff - simple.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 11-16-2014, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 528ia , X5 4.4 S, 335i cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCooper! View Post
Hi jc8333,

The new N6 I think is definitely the 'best' choice for USA/Canadian based E39 owners wanting a Chinese replacement type head unit by a long shot. A step in the right direction is the N6 using a much higher grade DAC (digital to analogue converter), the direct support of the DSP type speakers in E39 DSP equipped cars and the promise of OBC support. Currently, none of the other similar chinese made head unit's offer these aspects. Add to that there is proper, easily accessible support and after sales care by Jeff based in Fresno California, then it's a wise and sensible and the 'only' choice for those considering such a unit. I'm not too familiar with the Avin unit but Jeff gives a link above to see the differences between the two choices offered. None of the other units offer anywhere the same levels of product capability, quality, support & after sales care so value for money and peace of mind is much greater when purchased via Jeff - simple.

Cheers, Dennis!
Is there any other after-market head unit in the world (including those so called "premium" brands) that is compatible with BMW DSP equipped cars (any model) as dynavin N6 is? This is a remarkable achievement by Dynavin and shows their true dedication in R&D to meet our audio needs, not to mention of other car makes.

Last edited by musa; 11-16-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:21 PM
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Is there any other after-market head unit in the world (including those so called "premium" brands) that is compatible with BMW DSP equipped cars (any model) as dynavin N6 is? This is a remarkable achievement by Dynavin and shows their true dedication in R&D to meet our audio needs, not to mention of other car makes.
no there isnt.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto:
Does steering wheel control will work?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
A friend of mine purchased a 4.8 X5, and P.O. changed the head unit with a Kenwood double-din. My friend had an other X5 with an old Hualigan unit in it.
I also thought that the "premium brands" would be miles ahead of the "Chinese knock-offs", but my friend was really bummed by the lack of quality of the Kenwood. he told me that it was much worse than anything he ever had, and that the Hualigan was excellent in comparison. Now, I have a Hualigan in my e39 and a Dynavin N6 in my X5. Both units work perfect (I never had an issue with the Hualigan - probably very lucky), but the N6 is better built, and because it has newer technology is miles ahead - newer nav software (both have Igo Primo), newer bluetooth technology (both have better reception than stock, but the N6 has more features that actually work), the N6 has better screen luminosity, has better audio sound than stock (yes!!!!) - with dedicated driver oriented setup. The radio has double receiver technology, so it works like the stock HU unit (the Hualigan has only 1, and there are spots where it fades in and out), etc, too many improvements to the N6, to actually make the "premium brand" companies blush.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstang View Post
Does steering wheel control will work?
Steering wheel controls work, no problem. Very good, just like stock.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:59 AM
J&T Distributing

Good explanation Doru... Glad to see you are happy with your new dynavin and good to hear how it compares to the other options out there, especially from someone with first hand experience.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bluetooth, dynavin, e39, gps, ipod, jandtdistributing.com, stereo

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search