Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-18-2015, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 525 bmw
525 shaking 2

For those who haven't read my previous thread i have 2001 525 e39 m54 107k. when my car is completely cold it shakes badly for a minute and then idles fine. Ive cleaned my ICV, changed all ignition coils, spark plugs 3 months ago, new belts, new double vanos seals, and new oil housing gasket.

I just got back from the shop for a smoke test and i have zero vacuum leaks. They tried telling me i need new coils. They had a scanner attached to my car as they were test driving it (possible?) and said it only misfired once. I just put all new coils in 2 weeks ago and it never fixed the issue. Im lost here. My car has given codes once when it was shaking horribly, almost to the point to where it stalled. The codes read for misfires on cylinders 3 and 5. Before I bought new ignition coils I switched 3 and 5 and it ran fine for a couple days and went back to shaking in the cold mornings. Changed the coils and it ran fine for a couple days and had the issues again. Bad injectors? A cracked valve cover wouldn't cause all these issues, would it? I have a new fuel filter coming in the mail but i highly doubt it will change anything? I bought it just to change it because i don't think it has ever been changed.

The car also hesitates. Sometimes I need to put a lot of pressure on the pedal to get it moving. In fourth gear it drops low and takes a while to get up in the RPMs. I don't know if thats normal or not.

Sorry for reposting, i figured it would be less confusing summing it up into one post.

Last edited by xxpjmxx928; 05-18-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2015, 05:19 AM

Today 4 new codes came up on top of the codes for misfire on cyl 3 and 5. 2 codes were p0300 and the other two were p0171 and p0174. I've looked up the codes and have done some research but there are still too many possibilities for someone with my knowledge in cars to pin point the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be given the symptoms I've listed in my first post?

Before the new codes came up I scheduled for my vehicle to be inspected by my indie. I would rather spend my money on the parts rather than spend a couple hundred on an inspection. If its injectors they wouldn't test them without charging me an arm and a leg, correct? Or would I have to send the injectors somewhere else? If anyone has any ideas please let me know because this is driving me nuts. I still have original o2 sensors, could that be an issue? Also changing fuel filter this weekend.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
P0171 & P0174 are both lean codes. If you've done your research, you should know that our cars misfire when they are running lean. It seems like you've done all the spark plug/ignition coil checks/swapping, etc. to rule out failure of those parts.

I am completely amazed that your dealer/indies have never tested the MAF (I'm assuming that they both know how to do a proper smoke test) or fuel pressure. The MAF could be under reporting air flow which would cause a lean condition. The middle wire of the MAF connector is the signal wire to the DME. It should be generating about .5 volts DC with the engine fully warmed up and at idle. I say "about" because that voltage can vary slightly according to altitude, ambient temp, etc. You'll need to peal the connector's rubber boot back to back probe that signal wire with an electric meter.

IMO the MAF would be the next most likely component to fail after you are 100% sure there are no vacuum leaks. BTW O2 sensors don't normally fail at your mileage-they fail because of slow response or no response and there are fault codes for both these conditions. If the MAF is OK, the fuel supply would be next. Fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail should be about 50 psi. Again, easy for you or a shop to test. Nationwide retail parts suppliers lend out fuel pressure gauges.

Anyway, test your MAF and report back.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 AM

Thanks for responding. I will check out the MAF.my diss valve also slides out very easily so I'm thinking the shop who did my smoke test didn't do it properly because they should have noticed that. I'm going to reschedule with my original indie and have them do it. That will be Tuesday I will update after. Once again thanks
Old 05-21-2015, 08:02 AM

You could source a new DISA o-ring and replace it. An easy DIY. I don't believe in throwing parts at problems but this o-ring is inexpensive.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:39 AM

Okay, I thought the o-rings are non replaceable? That's what I've read before maybe I am wrong.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpjmxx928 View Post
Okay, I thought the o-rings are non replaceable? That's what I've read before maybe I am wrong.
They are not available from BMW but they are available for about $6.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:34 AM

All right. The rings are built into the part how would I go about removing? I might have to buy a new one to be safe since I'm at 107k and they should be replaced at 80k to 100k. Also wouldn't want to chance the pin inside falling into the engine. I'll wait and see what the indie says first.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:10 PM

Few questions. I just replaced my fuel filter and the check engine light went away. I'm sure it will come back sometime soon but I drove it around for 20 minutes and it never popped up again. I also haven't started it completely cold. Feels like its running a little smoother than usual.

Also, if I crossed the fuel lines to the filter the wrong way, would the vehicle run bad?

I took a video of my engine running and was hoping someone could tell me if it sounds normal.

One last thing, when I unlocked my vehicle with my remote the windows started rolling down.. Anyone know what that is about?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006-530xi; 1998-528i
If you hold down the open button....

Quote:
Few questions. I just replaced my fuel filter and the check engine light went away. I'm sure it will come back sometime soon but I drove it around for 20 minutes and it never popped up again. I also haven't started it completely cold. Feels like its running a little smoother than usual.

Also, if I crossed the fuel lines to the filter the wrong way, would the vehicle run bad?

I took a video of my engine running and was hoping someone could tell me if it sounds normal.

One last thing, when I unlocked my vehicle with my remote the windows started rolling down.. Anyone know what that is about?
... then the windows will eventually roll down. Afterwards, the moonroof / sunroof will open. It's a feature, not a bug.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:53 PM

Sorry, dumb question. I've never seen a car do this before and I'm a complete BMW newb. Thanks for the explanation
Old 05-23-2015, 12:56 PM

Hooked up the fuel pressure guage and turned the ignition to 2 and it was about 15 psi and dropped. When I started the car the psi was about 45. Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2015, 01:31 PM

Also pulled out the disa again. Pin looks like it is still in place. The flap held when I put my finger on the hole (sorry for the lack of knowledge). The seal doesn't have 2 lips on it, just one. So I will be ordering another today hoping this will solve some issues.

I unplugged the MAF while the car was running and it was about to stall out then kicked back up and ran normally. I'm in the process of cleaning the sensor. I'll update if it makes a difference.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:17 PM
$ MOB $

Mein Auto: 525i
when i was having these codes pop up, my oil separator (CCV) had a leak and needed replacing, but when i did a ccv to pcv mod, these codes disappeared and was never seen again.
p0171 & p0174

so might wanna check if your CCV needs replacing. just my .2 cents

2001 BWM 525i (Prod: 10/2000) - 2.5L L6 DOHC 24V
CCV to PCV MOD
(2) 10" DVC 4ohm subs @ 2ohms - 2000w Amp

My Introduction thread

Old 05-23-2015, 04:25 PM

thanks for the suggestion. after doing some research on it I'm replacing whether its a problem or not. sounds like something that ill need to replace to be safe living in michigan.

so far i have ordered;

- rubber intake boot from maf
- rubber boot that connects to the icv and throttle
- DISA valve
- crankcase valve/oil separator cold climate
- crankcase hose kit
- F connector
- air distributor

plan on replacing when they come in next week and i will update. any useful links that will make this easier for me? mainly with the ccv/hoses. I've seen diagrams but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to find all the hoses and i don't see any videos for a e39 m54. if not thats cool ill have to do some more research. again, thanks for the suggestions
Old 05-23-2015, 04:28 PM

also, a mechanic who worked on my vehicle before never put the cover for the bottom of the engine back on when he was disconnecting my coolant hoses from the fan shroud while doing my vanos seals. where can i find one? i can't find them anywhere.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
also, a mechanic who worked on my vehicle before never put the cover for the bottom of the engine back on when he was disconnecting my coolant hoses from the fan shroud while doing my vanos seals. where can i find one? i can't find them anywhere.
- Information about the plastic underbody panel kick panel splash plate under the engine (1)
Old 05-23-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
- rubber intake boot from maf
- rubber boot that connects to the icv and throttle
- DISA valve
- crankcase valve/oil separator cold climate
- crankcase hose kit
- F connector
- air distributor
I'd replace only the innards of the disa valve ...
- Where to get a proper DISA valve repair kit (1)

And, I'd read this on the CCV:
- How to test the crankcase ventilation (aka CCV, CVV, PCV, CPV, & OSV) pressure regulating valve system (1)

I'd doublecheck the oil dipstick guide tube:
- How to test, clean, & redesign the original BMW dipstick guide tube to prevent CCV vent clogs (1)

And, for the vacuum hoses, I'd read this:
- One user's convoluted quest to find & fix persistent intermittent misfire set of lean condition vacuum leaks P0313 P0300 P1353 P1083 P1085 P1351 P0171 P0174 (1)
Old 05-24-2015, 07:00 AM

Great information. Thank you. I've already purchased the DISA valve so no avoiding that. And when I'm putting the ccv in I will have to take a look at the dipstick tube. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2015, 07:20 AM

I put the part number in for the duct panel on ecs tuning

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-525...2.5L/ES128300/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51_7..._981/ES129548/

The range in prices for these two are 250-350??? I'm not sure which is which but thats insane i guess i won't be having a panel underneath anymore. now I'm really upset this mechanic never put it back.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 PM

at 5:23 this guy uses a special ratchet tool to get this screw. anyway to do it with out it? also what tor bits will i need for this job?

Old 05-24-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
at 5:23 this guy uses a special ratchet tool to get this screw. anyway to do it with out it? also what tor bits will i need for this job?

I didn't look at the video but the "thing" that is being pointed to in the video still is removed at all spark plug diys, so, look at this one for details:
- One user's pictorial DIY for replacing the BMW M54 engine spark plugs (1)
Old Yesterday, 02:24 AM

Thanks for your input, bluebee.

I am confused by your post though. You said you didn't look at the video, I'm not sure if you know what screw I am speaking of? I could be misunderstanding your post. I looked over the link you posted and can't seem to find the same screw.

Also I found a crack near a bolt on my valve cover, near the fuel rail. It has been permatex'd so I plan on replacing soon as well. I found a used one from a 530 and wanted to confirm with someone that this will fit my 525.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/121660413743?nav=SEARCH

Thanks for the help
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

blue bee, now that i am on a computer and the youtube video is showing in my browser i see what you meant. if you are talking about the beauty covers(?) thats not what i meant. theres a screw (maybe a bolt, he says screw in the video) he uses a special ratchet to reach in there with a torx bit. not sure if you have any ideas or another way to remove without buying the ratchet
Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

"tight reach wrench" he calls it. 40$ on amazon. I'm all nickel and dime'd out.

Last edited by xxpjmxx928; Yesterday at 07:41 AM.