Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Nav Question

I have a 2000 528i with a MKII nav unit and the 4:3 head uniit

just curious, but is it possible to disable (i.e. unplug) the Nav unit?
Is there any ill effects is doing so? loss of functionality other than nav of course?
and most importantly will it competley get rid of the dang nav NAG screen.

the nav is pretty useless now a days with more modern gps systems available....
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 528
Yes the MK II is a dinosaur. You can unplug it. I'm pretty sure you will lose all display functionality. But it's been awhile since I've messed with them. Also, it's easily reversible. Just plug it back in if it's not what you want.

There is some hacker software that allows you to turn off the legal warning if thats the only thing you don't like. The warning is a USA only option. Can't remember the name of it. Google iBus software. The software is free but it requires a $50 adaptor.

When someone says "What year is your Bimmer?", I say "What part".

Old 09-26-2014, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi,

If you unplug it, you'll of course lose all functionality of the music setup and GPS feature. I don't think you'd cause any other issues/things to stop working though.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
If you do a bit of searching...you can find old threads that may have links to download an upgraded software for the Nav that will get rid of the "nag" screen...or at least make it turn off after a few seconds on it's own.

As this is old stuff...the discussion was found on all old BMW forums that had the MK/MKii/Mkiii/MK4 units.

EDIT: found one...here's a link from Xoutpost.com that is pretty comprehensive about all the NAV systems and software versions. Its upgrade VERSION 22 that will rid you of the ACCEPT screen staying illuminated until you push the button.

Warning...there's lots of info and links on this page...you'll have to read through yourself to find what you specifically need. Also be careful of some of the links that take you to "custom" versions of the software. I've seen people get all excited and download something created by someone who lives in some foreign country...then come boo hooing to the forum that their NAV is now in another language or volume & distance is now in liters and kilometers.

Here's the link...read & learn: http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/all...ystem-faq.html
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 09-26-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 528ia, X5 4.4 sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
If you do a bit of searching...you can find old threads that may have links to download an upgraded software for the Nav that will get rid of the "nag" screen...or at least make it turn off after a few seconds on it's own.

As this is old stuff...the discussion was found on all old BMW forums that had the MK/MKii/Mkiii/MK4 units.

EDIT: found one...here's a link from Xoutpost.com that is pretty comprehensive about all the NAV systems and software versions. Its upgrade VERSION 22 that will rid you of the ACCEPT screen staying illuminated until you push the button.

Warning...there's lots of info and links on this page...you'll have to read through yourself to find what you specifically need. Also be careful of some of the links that take you to "custom" versions of the software. I've seen people get all excited and download something created by someone who lives in some foreign country...then come boo hooing to the forum that their NAV is now in another language or volume & distance is now in liters and kilometers.

Here's the link...read & learn: http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/all...ystem-faq.html
Yep, did this on my 2005 X5 and the Accept screen goes away by itself after a few seconds. I have the NAV software update somewhere in the house but the version I have is for specific generation of the NAV - 2004+ if I recall correctly. Note that at times the dealer could revert it if they find out the Accept screen requires no user input- perhaps they think somethings the matter and fix it .....in which case you just redo the update.

Last edited by musa; 09-26-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post

I posted about removing the nag screen a while back and QSilver7, you said that the it only applied to the MK3 and MK4.... This is the post i am referring to:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=763513

I will revisit the the urls posted, thank you

as for the unpluging the Nav unit... i figured as much.....