Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-07-2014, 04:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
Sun Visor Dissection / Popping Noise

My sun visor was making a popping noise when it vibrated. For a while I could make it stop by pulling it down by just the right amount. Lately however, it refused to shut up. It had to die!

Image 1: Sun visor removed from the car and the vinyl cut away. The plastic of the mirror slider frame is very brittle. Most of the cracks were caused by me, testing just how brittle the plastic was. The crack in the upper right corner appeared on its own years ago.

Image 2: The noise might have been coming from the wires sticking to the extruded foam where they exit the foam and mate with the switch. The wires were unusually clammy, possibly the result of foam being extruded around them. There were also cracks in the mirror slider frame prior to removal.

Image 3: A fat copper wire holds the shape of the sun visor although the extruded polypropene is quite tough on its own. The ABS plastic for the mirror slider frame is subpar.

Had I known the internal structure of the sun visor, I would have made a needle sized hole where the switch is and sprayed in some teflon lubricant to make the noise go away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140806_164045.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	457084   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140806_164012.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	457085   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140807_120101.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	457086  

Last edited by pudl; 08-07-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
There was nothing found when I typed /sunvisor or /sun visor f3 (other than how to remove the warning decals and how to run the ignition switch visor test and repairs on the rear visors) in the bestlinks, so, I added this keyword-rich sentence just now for the front sun visors only ...
- Sun visor autopsy to troubleshoot sunvisor popping noise (1) & how to remove the ugly warning sticker decals and labels from the vanity visors (1) & how to run the ignition switch sunvisor test for signs of a failing ignition switch (1)

I also ran an E39-only title-only search for the same keywords, and reference them here as this is now the canonical thread on the sun visor autopsy, but, none of them looked canonical (i.e., many posts, many pictures, good diys, etc.).

ARM:
- sunvisor pivot arm snapped in 2
- 528i Sun Visor Arm/Pipe
- Visor broken - need help
- Broken Visor
- Broken sun visor arm. Any suggestions?
- passenger side visor...
- 2000 528i sun visor
- broken visor in bmw
- Passager sun visor broken..
- Broke the sun visor

DECAL:
- Airbag Warning Visor Sticker Removal.

IGNITION SWITCH:
- E39 visor light activates telescopic steering
- Visor test Ignition switch
- Driver side sun visor crashes radio
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 08-07-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:21 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
If someone needs to know what size Torx is needed for sunvisor repair, this thread today has the data...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Broke the sun visor
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmgr View Post
What size torx screwdriver bit does it take?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmgr View Post
I found out it's a T20 Torx.
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > 2000 528i sun visor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
Flip the visor open and remove the plastic cap covering the screws where the arm enters the headliner. There are 3 T20 Torx bolts and one electrical connection holding it in. Very easy. The hardest part is getting that cap off without scratching it, but you will see an access point for a flat screwdriver or similar trim removal tool.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 08-21-2014 at 03:24 AM.