Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-17-2014, 12:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 RDX AWD
2010 335d Preowned but pristine....a good deal?!?

Hi Everyone,

Trying to decide on whether or not to buy a 2010 335d from a private owner. Here are the details:

- 2010 Alpine White, bone stock
- 50K Miles
- No warranty
- No Display/iDrive
- Pretty basic, no upgraded options I am aware of other than keyless start
- PRISTINE, ran a carfax and it is stating the value is $1,010 over what book value of $20,700 is. 1 owner, no accidents, regular oil changes, personal vehicle, "well-maintained" seal of approval from Carfax
- Asking for $22,000

This car is beautiful in pictures and in-person. The owners were an older couple who used it as a commuter (which is a relative term), but it is clear the car was taken care of. I do not think they drove it too hard, but I am fearful of no warranty and all the horror stories I hear after 50K. I want this car to last 120K+ miles to feel like I got my money's worth; everyone has me scared saying that extended warranties are a MUST with the 335 in any trim, and in some cases costs to repair things like CBU or turbo replacements were between $2K - $15K...big difference and if I fall into the latter of that range I would have a heart attack.

Is there anything I can do to reassure myself this is a good deal? If I have a private mechanic take a look at it, what should I have them be cognizant of? Do you guys think this is a good deal in the first place? I'm in love with the car and it drives like a dream, but I'd hate to be sitting in a shop 12 months from now with service bills up the wazoo.....your opinions and thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw335d.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	470314  

Last edited by eric910; 10-17-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2014, 02:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
you can check but there are some items on the car that the warranty is longer than 4 years and I believe the turbos fall into that category

you can also purchase an after market warranty if you are worried about it,
Old 10-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric910 View Post
This car is beautiful in pictures and in-person. The owners were an older couple who used it as a commuter (which is a relative term), but it is clear the car was taken care of. I do not think they drove it too hard, but I am fearful of no warranty and all the horror stories I hear after 50K. I want this car to last 120K+ miles to feel like I got my money's worth; everyone has me scared saying that extended warranties are a MUST with the 335 in any trim, and in some cases costs to repair things like CBU or turbo replacements were between $2K - $15K...big difference and if I fall into the latter of that range I would have a heart attack.

Is there anything I can do to reassure myself this is a good deal? If I have a private mechanic take a look at it, what should I have them be cognizant of? Do you guys think this is a good deal in the first place? I'm in love with the car and it drives like a dream, but I'd hate to be sitting in a shop 12 months from now with service bills up the wazoo.....your opinions and thoughts are much appreciated.
You're in California, presumably it's a CA car. If so, you've got the CARB warranty until 7/70 that covers most problem areas (which have been emissions). Not sure if CBU is covered by that (if the SES goes on it would be), but it does cover any area I think it likely to fail. (Because WA is also a CA state, I didn't buy an extended warranty mostly because of this coverage - would have been a waste.)

The other responder is confusing the diesel turbo (not covered by BMW) with those on the 335i gas engine (which are 10/120 by BMW.) But the turbo is covered by the CARB warranty 7/70.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
It's sort of a toss-up on whether to buy it or not. -

I had an '06 330i that gave me all sorts of headaches. Had brought it to a mechanic I trusted and he said the car was clean and looked ok. Still had problems afterwards.

My recent purchase was a 335D but I went that way and had to make sure it was a CPO car. - If you like the car, carfax is clean, I'd see what a good mechanic says on a pre-purchase inspection and see what may be available for an extended warranty.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Grab the vin and take it to your local bmw dealer and see if there were any major repairs or issues they took it in for other than that it's an awesome car !