Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-16-2011, 04:41 AM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

BMW finally released the F30 photos along with the ///M-Sport Package. Thank God I can now relocate to a new forum filled with wealthy people and status-seekers and leave this pathetic one behind. There's just so much used car, Asian lady-drama, and goat talk one can take.

Thanks for the memories, farewell E9X.

BJ
Man, a lot of threads here lately could have "benefited" from your input. Good things must come to an end. I'll have to step down and visit the F30 forum from time to time with some opcorn: when things get boring in the F32/33 4-series subforum. (Finally. Some proper separation of the classes. )
Old 10-17-2011, 03:31 AM
Officially Contaminated

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i
Anyone catch the Dan Wheldon crash yesterday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway? The fact that more of these drivers aren't killed in crashes like this is a testament to the safety features of the cars and equipment.

As much as I like watching the Indianapolis 500, I never understood why the IndyCar series (and similar open wheeled racing series) continue to hold races at tracks made for stock cars. At 225mph, those cars get airborne and disintegrate the second they touch the wall or fence.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Submarine View Post
Anyone catch the Dan Wheldon crash yesterday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway? The fact that more of these drivers aren't killed in crashes like this is a testament to the safety features of the cars and equipment.

As much as I like watching the Indianapolis 500, I never understood why the IndyCar series (and similar open wheeled racing series) continue to hold races at tracks made for stock cars. At 225mph, those cars get airborne and disintegrate the second they touch the wall or fence.
Missed it...I don't have a mullet, wear a wifebeater shirt, or drink Busch bier.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
Missed it...I don't have a mullet, wear a wifebeater shirt, or drink Busch bier.
That comment is a totally inappropriate, insensitive and inexcusable.

A very well respected champion, friend, father son and husband died a horrible and probably very painful death.

This was a tragedy and a great loss to the motorsports community.

Show some repect.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-17-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:48 AM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
Quote:
That's all well and good, but do you fall on the ground and writhe about in mock-agony if someone brushes past you while walking down the street hoping for a patrolling officer to give the cheeky bloke a red card for his blatantly aggressive foul?

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 10-17-2011, 05:54 AM
Original *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
That comment is a totally inappropriate, insensitive and inexcusable.

A very well respected champion, friend, father son and husband died a horrible and probably very painful death.

Show some repect.

CA
Holy crap! I don't follow the sport, didn't know that someone died, Ernhart was the last one I recall. Tragic.

Anywho, I was making light of the sport and not the individual passing. My opinion of the sport/fan base remains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
That's all well and good, but do you fall on the ground and writhe about in mock-agony if someone brushes past you while walking down the street hoping for a patrolling officer to give the cheeky bloke a red card for his blatantly aggressive foul?
Bwahhhhhh!! A sawhker reference!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Officially Contaminated

Quote:
Holy crap! I don't follow the sport, didn't know that someone died, Ernhart was the last one I recall. Tragic.
There have been a quite a few deaths in the sport since Ernhart. Dale E. died for lack of safety equipment, Mr. Wheldon died in much more horrific crash.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/15-ca...photo-4530511/
Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Original *****

I like F1 and follow Vettle, Hamilton and Schumacher.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:

Horrific indeed. I was at Texas Motor Speedway when Kenny Brack went airborne and into the fence in 2003 just before the end of the race. He was very lucky to survive that one. Wheldon's crash was so much more traumatic. It's indeed a wonder few people were hurt in it, but what a tragic loss. A stark reminder how dangerous motorsport is, though so few get hurt these days, much less killed.

IRL should re-think whether running the speedways is a worth while endeavor in open-wheel racing. You just don't see accidents like these very often on regular road courses where someone will wipe out across the road while the rest of the field goes 200+ mph causing a chain reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Auto racing is a dangerous sport and their are risks involved. It is a close knit community and when soemone is killed it is like losing a family member.

There have been a few deaths in the IRL during practice but not during a race. In 2003 Tony Renna was killed when his car hit the wall while he was practicing for the Indy 500.

I never met him but a number of the guys at Skip Barber Racing were his friends and some had been his instructors while he was working his way up the ladder. In the mid 90s he was won of their rising stars.

As Sam Posey said after his friend and mentor Mark Donohue's fatal crash. "If it could happen to Mark, it can happen to any of us."

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-17-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Original *****

Old 10-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
I figured you were a "Bild" guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 10-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Unfortunately Wheldon's open car did the 'impossible' and, at the end of its flight, hit the wall upside down. It was reported that his injuries were immediately recognized as "unsurvivable" (note the quotes). We can only imagine that it involved massive head/neck trauma.
If you study all the video you will see that Wheldon was toward the back of the pack, and would have made it through safely had a secondary accident not begun a few cars in front of him. A driver seeing the carnage high on the right seemed to make an unwise left cut and skidded into a second car which was braking hard. Their sudden loss of speed resulted in Wheldon coming up and over the second car. Even at that speed it was likely only minor injuries would have been sustained except for the tragic circumstances of landing against the wall on the cockpit area.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
There's just so much used car, Asian lady-drama, and goat talk one can take.

Thanks for the memories, farewell E9X.

BJ
No Furball love? You bloody wanker.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
I was going to say congratulations upon reaching 100 pages...but the tragic racing event is nothing to celebrate as mentioned in here. Too many cars on a short track; the drivers knew it, the promoters let it go ahead. I'm deeply saddened.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 10-17-2011, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Horrible crash...all the pilots know the risks going into it.

Onto brighter topics, I REALLY love the steptronic transmission on my 328xi. Before a ton of you purists jump on my back, I drove a stick shift for 11 years and it just got old. Now I have best of both worlds. Are there any hard stats on the longterm reliability of these transmissions vs a manual? I'm almost tempted to say, if I get 20-30K less miles on an AT, it'd be worth every penny to replace it...it's way too much fun to drive, to hell with the clutch.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Original *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Horrible crash...all the pilots know the risks going into it.

Onto brighter topics, I REALLY love the steptronic transmission on my 328xi. Before a ton of you purists jump on my back, I drove a stick shift for 11 years and it just got old. Now I have best of both worlds. Are there any hard stats on the longterm reliability of these transmissions vs a manual? I'm almost tempted to say, if I get 20-30K less miles on an AT, it'd be worth every penny to replace it...it's way too much fun to drive, to hell with the clutch.
Don't fret...I'm getting that 8 speed tranny next time around.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Officially Contaminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Unfortunately Wheldon's open car did the 'impossible' and, at the end of its flight, hit the wall upside down. It was reported that his injuries were immediately recognized as "unsurvivable" (note the quotes). We can only imagine that it involved massive head/neck trauma.
If you study all the video you will see that Wheldon was toward the back of the pack, and would have made it through safely had a secondary accident not begun a few cars in front of him. A driver seeing the carnage high on the right seemed to make an unwise left cut and skidded into a second car which was braking hard. Their sudden loss of speed resulted in Wheldon coming up and over the second car. Even at that speed it was likely only minor injuries would have been sustained except for the tragic circumstances of landing against the wall on the cockpit area.
My question stands: Why are these open wheeled cars racing on high banked oval courses? Shouldn't they be on road courses only?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
My question stands: Why are these open wheeled cars racing on high banked oval courses? Shouldn't they be on road courses only?
Americans are good at creating their own thing and making it work, but are crap at copying anything European, that's why!

I am anticipating a picture of a CTS to appear sometime soon, which will prove my point.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 10-18-2011, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi sportswagon
And now for something completely different:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...619410616.html

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans Blue (yep GM used it too), titanium leather, 2LZ package, Bose sound system

Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Because promoters and teams can make the big bucks, why else?

I dislike it as much as you do. I was channel surfing during Patriots half time and happened to get the track feed shortly after the accident. Later I went online to get the details and to see for myself just what happened, car by car.
Too many cars, too fast a pace, too small an area. Everyone in the sport knew before that race began that it was the wrong thing to be doing. But like downhill skiing on icy courses and so many other things, a schedule is a schedule...
Old 10-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post

I'm all over that car IF he throws in the fluorescent green wheels! Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Quote:

Oarsome, dood!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi sportswagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
Oarsome, dood!

How long did it take you to find just the right picture of oars for this post? It's actually a nice picture.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans Blue (yep GM used it too), titanium leather, 2LZ package, Bose sound system

Old 10-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Quote:
How long did it take you to find just the right picture of oars for this post? It's actually a nice picture.
I minored in Google Images at college.