Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-28-2012, 12:06 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
In the end, he got the hot sleek robot chick

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Omfg!!!!!!!

http://jalopnik.com/5879525/bmw-m-ca...o-diesel-power

Also available in Alpine White...
Old 01-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
It may be the performance engine of the future. EPA fleet average mpg requirements might otherwise kill performance engines altogether. I'd give it a go.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
It may be the performance engine of the future. EPA fleet average mpg requirements might otherwise kill performance engines altogether. I'd give it a go.
+1. IMO, the performance world is moving to diesel.... http://www.leftlanenews.com/audis-di...-own-good.html
Old 01-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
In the end, he got the hot sleek robot chick
Eva was hot.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:16 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
Eva was hot.
Oh yea, talk about twisted steel, sex appeal

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
So, test drove a Nissan Leaf over the weekend. I had such low expectations going in, it's surprisingly quite good and I was seriously considering buying one. Back at home, I reviewed the various blogs - the car just doesn't quite have the range I need to commute to work.

If I only needed a town/suburb round-about, I'd probably drop the hammer.

Last edited by Bcube; 02-06-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
So, test drove a Nissan Leaf over the weekend. I had such low expectations going in, it's surprisingly quite good and I was seriously considering buying one. Back at home, I reviewed the various blogs - the car just doesn't quite have the range I need to commute to work.

If I only needed a town/suburb round-about, I'd probably drop the hammer.
I think that is going to be the limitation of any pure battery electric vehicle (BEV). Once the battery is discharged, you have a big paperweight. Personally, an extended range hybrid like the Volt and i8 would seem to be the better option - there is the IC engine to fall back on when the battery is empty.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Combat Commuter

Let's see; going through the checklist: I am old, overweight, balding, have High Blood Pressure, have ED, and now I have to worry about RA (range anxiety) too. Man, life's a bitch.

The extended range vehicle might be the answer, but options are even somewhat more limited presently. I don't even like sitting in the current VOLT, much less wanting to buy one, and the Fisker Karma is too expensive. BMW is talking that the i3 may come in a range extender version for Model Year 2013/2014.

Fast DC Charging makes sense with the full electrics. A full up (from depleted) in 30 minutes. But a quick 10 or 15 minutes might be enough juice to get one home. Now we aren't talking much longer than a gasoline fill. Too bad there isn't any infrastructure here - a common means of connecting in Japan.

Both the 2012 Nissan Leaf and Mitsuibushi i comes with this DC fast charge port standard. Surprisingly a 7-Eleven just down the road from the house has installed a fast charging station. Really? a 7-11? Wow.

With every major manufacturer marketing a plug-in hybrid or full electric this year, I think the infrastructure should start expanding rapidly.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Let's see; going through the checklist: I am old, overweight, balding, have High Blood Pressure, have ED, and now I have to worry about RA (range anxiety) too. Man, life's a bitch.

The extended range vehicle might be the answer, but options are even somewhat more limited presently. I don't even like sitting in the current VOLT, much less wanting to buy one, and the Fisker Karma is too expensive. BMW is talking that the i3 may come in a range extender version for Model Year 2013/2014.

Fast DC Charging makes sense with the full electrics. A full up (from depleted) in 30 minutes. But a quick 10 or 15 minutes might be enough juice to get one home. Now we aren't talking much longer than a gasoline fill. Too bad there isn't any infrastructure here - a common means of connecting in Japan.

Both the 2012 Nissan Leaf and Mitsuibushi i comes with this DC fast charge port standard. Surprisingly a 7-Eleven just down the road from the house has installed a fast charging station. Really? a 7-11? Wow.

With every major manufacturer marketing a plug-in hybrid or full electric this year, I think the infrastructure should start expanding rapidly.
In the past, one could look to tax policy to drive adoption (Prius benefited from a $3,400 tax credit (!) in the early days...). Nowadays, I am not so sure. There are a bunch of tax preference industries that are waiting for their respective tax incentive to be passed (biodiesel producers are looking for a $1/gallon subsidy to be renewed).

It will be interesting to see how events play out.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Combat Commuter

Currently, Nissan Leaf still has $7500 Federal Tax rebate available. Up to $2500 depending on state. Brings the $36K price down to $26K.

Like I said, if it got closer to 100 miles versus EPA rated 73miles, it would have been in my garage this weekend. Just the "fuel" operating costs of ~$0.12-0.15 per mile versus my current ~$0.24 was worth the switch - the rebates were the icing.

Oh yeah, and the deal breaker as why I'm not looking at 40mpg conventional econocars. Carpool lane access.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Too bad there isn't any infrastructure here - a common means of connecting in Japan.

My brother-in-law works for a company that installs these stations. Currently the gov't is funding the installation. A business makes an application, if it is approved, a grant pays for all installation costs. The business just has to donate the space. And, the electricty for charging is free, I think he said, through April 2013. After that, you have to get a debit card and pay for the charge.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Currently, Nissan Leaf still has $7500 Federal Tax rebate available. Up to $2500 depending on state. Brings the $36K price down to $26K.

Like I said, if it got closer to 100 miles versus EPA rated 73miles, it would have been in my garage this weekend. Just the "fuel" operating costs of ~$0.12-0.15 per mile versus my current ~$0.24 was worth the switch - the rebates were the icing.

Oh yeah, and the deal breaker as why I'm not looking at 40mpg conventional econocars. Carpool lane access.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkHouston View Post
My brother-in-law works for a company that installs these stations. Currently the gov't is funding the installation. A business makes an application, if it is approved, a grant pays for all installation costs. The business just has to donate the space. And, the electricty for charging is free, I think he said, through April 2013. After that, you have to get a debit card and pay for the charge.
Surprised there aren't more charging stations if as Lark posts - the govt. pays all of the freight for an charging station and the property owner provides the space.

With BEVs, if there isn't charging infrastructure, they could go for close to free (the BEV) and none would sell.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Combat Commuter

Wasn't much of an infrastructure to support gasoline/diesel/kerosine powered autos in the late 1800's either. Look how that turned out.

Trying to convince the facility management at my place of work to put in a couple of charging stations has met with the same glazed stare / resistance that one gets here when one mentions that the 1980's have passed: you don't have to follow Jiffy Lube's OCI schedule on your BMW.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
During the 70's I was working with my father, a self employed plumbing/heating contractor:
Me: "Hey dad, we should look into this solar heating thing."
Dad: "Nah, it's just a passing fad."

The old saying goes, You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him jet ski applies here.

JB4 PNP .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Wasn't much of an infrastructure to support gasoline/diesel/kerosine powered autos in the late 1800's either. Look how that turned out.

Trying to convince the facility management at my place of work to put in a couple of charging stations has met with the same glazed stare / resistance that one gets here when one mentions that the 1980's have passed: you don't have to follow Jiffy Lube's OCI schedule on your BMW.
That is the real challenge - getting the charging infrastructure in place. There is just so much apathy. Even when it is basically free to the facility owner. In 20 years, things will probably do a 180 (at least in CA) - if a building doesn't offer BEV charging stations, the owner won't be able to charge a premium rent. We aren't there yet.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335 Sedan MSport
Quote:
Let's see; going through the checklist: I am old, overweight, balding, have High Blood Pressure, have ED, and now I have to worry about RA (range anxiety) too. Man, life's a bitch. ...
Instant range extender for when you just can't wait on a recharge. No roof rack or spandex needed. Fits most trunks, but may induce HA (hernia anxiety).

http://www.boxxcorp.com/brochure/boxx
Old 02-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Combat Commuter

That is a great option, right up to the 4K price tag. Don't know if I could be seen in public though, I am thinking with my build it will look like a monkey humping a football.

But it gives me a thought - and does require a roof rack - an electric bicycle!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335 Sedan MSport
Like straddling a rolling suitcase. I can't imaging anyone wanting to appear in public on one, but then I kinda thought that about the Segway and look where it's gone.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Combat Commuter

Well, have jumped through the hoops and have been deemed worthy to be considered and was put on the list. Paperwork was signed Saturday. Now waiting to see if BMW will actually allot me a car. Damn if this isn't similar to buying a new Ferarri.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Well, have jumped through the hoops and have been deemed worthy to be considered and was put on the list. Paperwork was signed Saturday. Now waiting to see if BMW will actually allot me a car. Damn if this isn't similar to buying a new Ferarri.
If you get alloted a car, please post back with your impressions. If there was a purchase option at lease end, I could have taken the plunge as well.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Combat Commuter

^^^You wouldn't want this car long term, it's a mule platform. BMW adapted the i3 drive-train to a 1 series coupe. Whereas the i3 is built from the ground up to be an electric car. The Active e is also a stripper. It has virtually no options- except i-drive/Nav and specific leather coverings on the seats. Comparatively, a 2012 Leaf SL is loaded and half the price. The Leaf just doesn't have the range...

Took $60 to fill the tank this morning. I'm back to $30 a day in gas for commuting. I need a bumper sticker that says: "Starve a Terrorist: Drive electric"

Last edited by Bcube; 02-22-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
^^^You wouldn't want this car long term, it's a mule platform. BMW adapted the i3 drive-train to a 1 series coupe. Whereas the i3 is built from the ground up to be an electric car. The Active e is also a stripper. It has virtually no options- except i-drive/Nav and specific leather coverings on the seats. Comparatively, a 2012 Leaf SL is loaded and half the price. The Leaf just doesn't have the range...

Took $60 to fill the tank this morning. I'm back to $30 a day in gas for commuting. I need a bumper sticker that says: "Starve a Terrorist: Drive electric"
You might want to trademark and copyright a sample sticker....
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

LOL. So, some of you may remember that last year I got hit in the side by another driver. Well I filed in small claims court for costs not covered by her insurance company. I just got a letter from The People's Court asking me if I want to take it there. I found it funny. I would be tempted to do it except I don't feel like being on recorded, national TV for this.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
LOL. So, some of you may remember that last year I got hit in the side by another driver. Well I filed in small claims court for costs not covered by her insurance company. I just got a letter from The People's Court asking me if I want to take it there. I found it funny. I would be tempted to do it except I don't feel like being on recorded, national TV for this.
P*u*s*s*y

Having a BMW driver making a claim on People's Court would be awesome TV, especially if you channeled BoltJames, God of Status...
Also available in Alpine White...