Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
ETA Movement? This is automatic watch.

As for 10 year gifts...well, she said when I am 90 I will get my next watch

She got a white gold necklace with a white gold/sapphire fish. It's very pretty. On the back of the fish you see the fish-bones (in white gold) - great detail.
And an automatic watch doesn't have a movement?

ETA is the largest producer of Swiss watch movements, be they quartz, automatics, or manual wind. ETA movements are found in many watch brands, particularly the entry level watches. Very few watch makers entirely construct their own movements these days and you'd be surprised how many watches have ETA movements.

Do me a favor and look on the case back and see if it says ETA and a number there.

Quote:
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 12-17-2013, 12:51 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
And an automatic watch doesn't have a movement?

ETA is the largest producer of Swiss watch movements, be they quartz, automatics, or manual wind. ETA movements are found in many watch brands, particularly the entry level watches. Very few watch makers entirely construct their own movements these days and you'd be surprised how many watches have ETA movements.

Do me a favor and look on the case back and see if it says ETA and a number there.
It does not say ETA. Sapphire Crystal. Twenty Six Jewels. Swiss made. Caliber RW 4200.

The exact watch model:
raymond weil freelancer 2710-st-20021

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
It does not say ETA. Sapphire Crystal. Twenty Six Jewels. Swiss made. Caliber RW 4200.

The exact watch model:
raymond weil freelancer 2710-st-20021
There you go! RW calls the ETA 2824 their RW 4200. Watch makers are funny that way and I wonder what exactly the rules are but I doubt ETA much cares. I'm guessing they might just customize the rotating weight and that's enough to call it their own.

The 2824 is probably the most common/workhorse movement ETA makes, which makes sense since it has the basic functions of any watch, hour, minute, second. Here is more info on it, if interested, it has been around forever.

http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2824/eta2824.html

Watches are a great gift to commemorate an occasion, since you wear one almost every day. I feel naked without one. Enjoy!

Quote:
Old 12-18-2013, 06:47 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

So you approve of the watch?
The watch is definitely nice. I think it's a good balance of size - large enough to be a man's watch, but not bulky. A friend of mine had an auto years ago, and it was way too big

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
So you approve of the watch?
The watch is definitely nice. I think it's a good balance of size - large enough to be a man's watch, but not bulky. A friend of mine had an auto years ago, and it was way too big
I approve of picking automatic! Quartz watches don't excite me simply because there is no real achievement in creating an accurate or function-rich quartz watch. As an engineer, "machines" of all kind excite me and I think watches are really nice engineering marvels. I think it's neat to watch a second hand sweep along rather than a quartz watch move the hand one second at a time. That being said, the first watch I ever purchased myself was a Citizen solar quartz and I still think that for the price and for what it is, it is a fantastic watch.

After all that, it comes down to style and obviously everyone is different there. I like Raymond Weil's styling and while I don't own one, I think at some point in my life I might.

Autos, while generally larger than a quartz watch, do not have to be bulky. As the link I sent you about the ETA 2824 states, there is another ETA movement with same functionality that is quite a bit thinner and smaller. You can get autos in very small diameter cases and with pretty significant thinness. Once you get to chronographs though, they tend to at least have a sizable case height.

I have an auto with the Valjoux 7750 chrono movement, which is probably the most common automatic chronograph movement, and it is of pretty significant size. It has a case thickness of 14.7 mm and the crystal isn't even domed.

Quote:

Last edited by cwinter; 12-18-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:17 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

I think auto's are more impressive. While there is the downside of the power going away if not used in a few days, it's not a big deal to wind it up ()

I also enjoy staring at the mechanical components just moving back and forth. It's rhythmic and relaxing

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Here comes trouble!

A watch winder takes care of the loss of power issue. You can get them quite inexpensively especially for just 1 or 2 watches. Since I have more than 1 automatic, it was a necessity as to avoid constantly having to either wind them or resetting time on them.

I actually have a cheap auto Seiko that can't even be manually wound, it can only be wound by means of the rotational mass and that sure is annoying.

Quote:
Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
A watch winder takes care of the loss of power issue. You can get them quite inexpensively especially for just 1 or 2 watches. Since I have more than 1 automatic, it was a necessity as to avoid constantly having to either wind them or resetting time on them.

I actually have a cheap auto Seiko that can't even be manually wound, it can only be wound by means of the rotational mass and that sure is annoying.
So you have to wait until the correct time to start winding it? What happens when it loses time?

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
So you have to wait until the correct time to start winding it? What happens when it loses time?
You can set the time with the crown, but for some reason, it has to be wound by rotating the rotational mass. So you hold in your hands and shake it slowly side by side to get the rotational mass to turn.

Hey, it's a $50 Seiko. You get what you pay for, but it is a rather odd movement in the sense that it cannot be manually wound.

Once it is wound and in the watch winder, it never has to go through that process again.

Quote:
Old 12-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sport Pkg
Quote:
...it's not a big deal to wind it up ()
As a single, never married man (and kinda proud of it), I think Furby is giving advice on how to stay happy in marriage!

I too am a bit of a closet horologist. I splurge for something nice every once in a blue moon. Literally, the night before I was going to get another, some kid made a right turn from the left lane at 45mph, cutting me off. So as I slid sideways across a couple of curbs, one crazy thought between "I hope I don't flip" and "Boy, this is going to leave a mark", was that I wasn't going to be getting a new watch anymore!

I was going to check out the Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 36 RS. Later, I saw the almost 5 digit price and quickly brought my mind back to reality. Oh well, I've got a nice 335xi instead.

CW...you said you like the engineering side of the movements of a watch. Well I saw this one and if I win the lottery I'm going to get it. It may not be the best, but it definitely got a cool factor.

2011 335xi Sport Package, Sapphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, 18" Beyern Staggered, Glossy Black Grill

Yes, I ran the Terminator 3 girl over to get this paint job!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 05:28 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
The official E9x OT thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stones399 View Post
As a single, never married man (and kinda proud of it), I think Furby is giving advice on how to stay happy in marriage!

I too am a bit of a closet horologist. I splurge for something nice every once in a blue moon. Literally, the night before I was going to get another, some kid made a right turn from the left lane at 45mph, cutting me off. So as I slid sideways across a couple of curbs, one crazy thought between "I hope I don't flip" and "Boy, this is going to leave a mark", was that I wasn't going to be getting a new watch anymore!

I was going to check out the Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 36 RS. Later, I saw the almost 5 digit price and quickly brought my mind back to reality. Oh well, I've got a nice 335xi instead.

CW...you said you like the engineering side of the movements of a watch. Well I saw this one and if I win the lottery I'm going to get it. It may not be the best, but it definitely got a cool factor.
Ugh, that sucks, is your car okay though?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 12-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Thanks for everything folks. Looks like it's time for me to move on. I have to unfortunately let go of the M a lot sooner than I would have liked. I need to help my father so, this is the end of the line for me. Thanks all for the amazing couple years on Bimmerfest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Thanks for everything folks. Looks like it's time for me to move on. I have to unfortunately let go of the M a lot sooner than I would have liked. I need to help my father so, this is the end of the line for me. Thanks all for the amazing couple years on Bimmerfest.
What the heck?!? Why?!?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stones399 View Post

Well that's certainly different. I am not sure if I'd be willing to spend on it the price they ask, even if I won the lottery, but it definitely is unique and interesting. Thanks for sharing, I had never seen one like this.

Hope you and your car are ok.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1388162714.497684.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	414320

Wow am prodfeshunal bik3 racer

Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Protean Electric rolls towards making in-wheel electric motors a reality
Old 12-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Got a BMW for Christmas

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 12-27-2013, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Cool! If you don't mind sharing, where was it purchased from?
Old 12-27-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Cool! If you don't mind sharing, where was it purchased from?
It was purchased on ebay. It is a discontinued model and very hard to find. This particular car was driven by Sam Posey, Brian Redman and Hans Stuck. The model was in the original box and the seller said that the only time he had opened the box was to take the picture. The model was in perfect shape. I will get it signed by Sam Posey the next time I see him. I sent him a picture of the model and he told me that demand for it was vastly underestimated and he did not get one but Hans Stuck eventually got one for him and presented it to him.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 12-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Here comes trouble!

Iconic ride!

Quote:
Old 12-28-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Iconic ride!
Here it is guiding Santa over Sam Posey Straight.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 02-15-2014, 03:56 PM

I got a BMW for Valentines Day.

Now I have a set of 1/18 Die Cast BMW 3.5 CSLs

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-15-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 11 335xi Coupe
Awesome Chuck!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:42 PM
www.xixwheels.com

Mein Auto: ..

What do you guys think
Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappie View Post
Awesome Chuck!
Just added this to the collection,

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project