Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post

On a side note, with speed ratings, do you think they are just conservative? So speed rating Y may be for 186mph, but that's conservative where there is a nice buffing pad?
I am betting the strongest part of a tire is its centrifugal integrity (its ability to maintain shape and stay on the wheel). The weakest has to be the compound's ability to withstand heat.

That said, if you can keep a tire cool it will go quite fast without drama (I bet a properly inflated/cool "Y" tire will do 220 mph without issue for a short amount of time). The problem is that many tires quickly overheat at speed. The faster they spin, the more they flex and build heat. The compound is unable to shed the heat, and the compound breaks down... and the tire looses pressure... and failure.

This is just my theory, of course.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFTW91 View Post
That is what happens when you have no life like I do not and you watch every single car review on youtube.
The two are from Motor Trend (senior editors). Jonny and I drove the hydrogen car from Germany to France earlier this year (and ran out of fuel!).

On that note, I was published in Motor Trend this month! April 2011 issue, check out page 112. I took the picture of Jonny on the Patent-Motorwagen (tiny caption on the left side). I even got to go for a ride on it in the museum parking lot.

- Mike

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
LA finally warming up...70's....perfect HPFP repair weather. Fixed TODAY! No more Nissan Sentra rental (an incentive from my dealer after I told them that my lease is running out soon). I'll return the favor.
[It was mostly a DeHavilland Otter. Triple bladed. Or as the pilot explained, one spare. We got picked up once with a twin engined plane because there were eight of us and our gear coming back in. My son recalls it as a Twin Otter but I'm unsure. There are some things the brain does not like to remember. Like what happens to the loose gear belonging to eight guys during a steep bank. Like what happens to the balance of an aircraft when 800 lbs of gear rapidly moves from one side of the aircraft to the other. Stuff like that.]
Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Wow, she's making 800K now?
No way. Absolutely impossible. I mean, come on. BJ is making, 37,500 tops and I'm including benefits and long term incentive awards. If he made more he'd rent a cabriolet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 04-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
I am betting the strongest part of a tire is its centrifugal integrity (its ability to maintain shape and stay on the wheel). The weakest has to be the compound's ability to withstand heat.

That said, if you can keep a tire cool it will go quite fast without drama (I bet a properly inflated/cool "Y" tire will do 220 mph without issue for a short amount of time). The problem is that many tires quickly overheat at speed. The faster they spin, the more they flex and build heat. The compound is unable to shed the heat, and the compound breaks down... and the tire looses pressure... and failure.

This is just my theory, of course.

- Mike
It's a good one. Heat buildup results in more catastrophic failure than anything else. Seen all those retreads ripped from trucks littering the highways? They ran low on air and the heat build up subsequently destroyed the tread bond (if a retread), or rapidly degraded the carcass.
A tire's speed rating is what a properly loaded and inflated tire can do all day long. Naturally it can exceed the rating for shorter periods of time, there's X% safety factor built in.
Are the tires on cars driven at speed checked for inflation just before the run? Are they inflated to the maximum pressure listed on the door jamb for running at speed?
When I was young and stupid and first had my license, my friends and I piled into by father's Buick Beach Wagon and drove from northern Mass. to southern NH at 120 mph. We thought nothing of it. It still gives me chills thinking of all the things I did and didn't deserve to survive. One of the other kids in the car must have led a charmed life.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
No way. Absolutely impossible. I mean, come on. BJ is making, 37,500 tops and I'm including benefits and long term incentive awards. If he made more he'd rent a cabriolet.
After tolls, this is probably an accurate figure. That's big money in NH where everyone knew his name. It's a Christmas bonus in Manhattan.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
yea he is just rolling in cash
800 combined lolz actually thats prolly a lot on the e90forums huh

so anybody carry guns in their car?
I got a 1911 in the E39 but a snub 38 in the E90. Im thinking of grabbing a Glock 19 for the E90

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.

Last edited by andyffer; 04-06-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
It's a good one. Heat buildup results in more catastrophic failure than anything else. Seen all those retreads ripped from trucks littering the highways? They ran low on air and the heat build up subsequently destroyed the tread bond (if a retread), or rapidly degraded the carcass.
A tire's speed rating is what a properly loaded and inflated tire can do all day long. Naturally it can exceed the rating for shorter periods of time, there's X% safety factor built in.
Are the tires on cars driven at speed checked for inflation just before the run? Are they inflated to the maximum pressure listed on the door jamb for running at speed?
When I was young and stupid and first had my license, my friends and I piled into by father's Buick Beach Wagon and drove from northern Mass. to southern NH at 120 mph. We thought nothing of it. It still gives me chills thinking of all the things I did and didn't deserve to survive. One of the other kids in the car must have led a charmed life.
This explains the prevalence of Toyota Camry's and Honda Accord's fitted with compact spares, driven by clueless, cellphone yapping drivers that hit the open road between Houston and San Antonio at 80+ mph, sort of.....
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyffer View Post

800 combined lolz

I got a 1911 in the E39 but a snub 38 in the E90. Im thinking of grabbing a Glock 19 for the E90
Nope, just a rifle on the rear window rack of the F250, in season. Had a lousy season last year. Got one opening day.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 04-06-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyffer View Post
800 combined lolz

Does a super soaker water cannon filled with Optimum Detailer count as a gun?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
This explains the prevalence of Toyota Camry's and Honda Accord's fitted with compact spares, driven by clueless, cellphone yapping drivers that hit the open road between Houston and San Antonio at 80+ mph, sort of.....
Last Summer I had a new customer roll up looking for an inspection sticker. So as not to aggravate noobs we do a walk around in the parking lot before bringing it in. The car had FOUR space saver tires on it! The owner was royally pissed that we would not put a sticker on it.
I should have brought it in, done a full inspection, and charged the jerk $40.* Then he would have had something to be pissed about.

* going rate, pass or fail
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
You are lucky to be alive.

Today's cars all have tire pressure monitoring systems. I am sure they checked the tire pressures before we made the runs... right?

- Mike

Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Here's your makeup class.

Emission starts perfect thread for his Autoblog Annex. No one wants to talk about cars.
BJ 1.0 returns. Sounds just like old BJ. Needs new material.
Andyffer returns. Sounds just like his parents. Needs new material.
Cwinter returns. Sounds like he's still not getting enough sleep. Parents' needs immaterial.
DSX still needs a life.
Whew, thanks for the Cliff's notes ... I see a lot of purple haze here now ....

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Woo Hoo!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
You are lucky to be alive.
Today's cars all have tire pressure monitoring systems. I am sure they checked the tire pressures before we made the runs... right?

- Mike
Oh, that's probably not even on my 'Top 10 childhood stupid things I did' list.
Hopping freight trains to Boston and back to Lynn, riding ice flows down the Saugus River, swimming almost all the way across Flax Pond on a dare, setting shotgun shells off with a candle, thumbing everywhere, driving (sorta) construction equipment which had the keys left in the ignition, messing around with a welder at Breakheart Reservation to see how big a spark I could make, scuba diving off the Dog Bar and running out of air in a rip current, learning to fly by 'borrowing' my girlfriend's dad's Cessna and skimming up and down a grass strip in Piscataway, having BB gun fights in the Natick Town Forest. Things like that are on my list.
What a great childhood I had!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 PM
1 Converted Addict

Mein Auto: 135i M-Sport 6mt Cabrio
17 degrees and snowing today a little work tonight, a 4 hour ride home and it looks like i missed a weeks worth of fun. thanks for the cliff notes!

PSS|PPK|PE|LUX H8 V4's|CDV Delete|
Old 04-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Non compos Mentos

Where you working Angler?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
1 Converted Addict

Quote:
Where you working Angler?
yep, btw mrs. angler is lobbying for us to stay at the mount washington hotel on the first night of cc3.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Omnia in modum

Sheltered

Quote:
Oh, that's probably not even on my 'Top 10 childhood stupid things I did' list.
Hopping freight trains to Boston and back to Lynn, riding ice flows down the Saugus River, swimming almost all the way across Flax Pond on a dare, setting shotgun shells off with a candle, thumbing everywhere, driving (sorta) construction equipment which had the keys left in the ignition, messing around with a welder at Breakheart Reservation to see how big a spark I could make, scuba diving off the Dog Bar and running out of air in a rip current, learning to fly by 'borrowing' my girlfriend's dad's Cessna and skimming up and down a grass strip in Piscataway, having BB gun fights in the Natick Town Forest. Things like that are on my list.
What a great childhood I had!
The baddest thing I ever did was to surreptiously hike up the Mt. Manitou incline while it was still in operation. That was my "bad" summer when I was 11 years old.

http://www.inclineclub.com/incline_old.htm
Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 PM
1 Converted Addict

Quote:
The baddest thing I ever did was to surreptiously hike up the Mt. Manitou incline while it was still in operation. That was my "bad" summer when I was 11 years old.

really, thats it? what about the naughtiest thing you ever did

Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
I could tell you, but then..... well, I think you know how that ends....
Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
Time for me to hit the rack. You two be good, remember Emission said to no NSFW.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 PM
1 Converted Addict

Quote:
I could tell you, but then..... well, I think you know how that ends....
Lets pretend I don't.... go ahead, kiss and tell.......

Last edited by angler; 04-07-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Omnia in modum

I've been up way too long. G'night, all.