Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW i325 2005
Car radio volume not working

Hi all,

I have a 2005 i325 model. This morning I started her up and my volume is not working. I can turn on the radio and switch channels, I can even turn on the cd player, but there is no volume. Last night it was working just fine. Also, my SES light has been on for like 2 months, i havent done anything about it because I had my car serviced about a month before that and the dealership said the nothing was wrong with the car. Im guessing maybe its something electronic?

Also, when I accelerate I sometimes hear a high pitched whistling sound, Im not sure if this has anything to do with the latter problem though.

Please, all help is appreciated
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
No User Serviceable Parts

Mein Auto: '04 545i, Schaltgetriebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeboy0624 View Post
Also, my SES light has been on for like 2 months, i havent done anything about it because I had my car serviced about a month before that and the dealership said the nothing was wrong with the car. Im guessing maybe its something electronic?
The dealership said there was nothing wrong with your car a month before the SES light came on, and now it's been on for two months? Cool.

Take a piece of masking tape, and cover over the area on the instrument cluster just above the SES light. That will take care of your first problem.

Next, it's time for a new radio. I had to replace mine about 9 months ago, and I found good ones for cheap on ebay.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:36 AM

Car radio

Quote:
Take a piece of masking tape, and cover over the area on the instrument cluster just above the SES light. That will take care of your first problem.
How does this help?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Hi all,

I have a 2005 i325 model. This morning I started her up and my volume is not working. I can turn on the radio and switch channels, I can even turn on the cd player, but there is no volume. Last night it was working just fine. Also, my SES light has been on for like 2 months, i havent done anything about it because I had my car serviced about a month before that and the dealership said the nothing was wrong with the car. Im guessing maybe its something electronic?

Also, when I accelerate I sometimes hear a high pitched whistling sound, Im not sure if this has anything to do with the latter problem though.

Please, all help is appreciated
The two are unrelated. I cannot help with the radio problem but I would recommend you have the codes read to determine why the SEL is illuminated. If you have an Autozone nearby they will read them for you at no cost. Once you have the codes post them here as they'll allow people to give you much more appropriate advice.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:34 AM
Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 323 Ci
Buy another radio...I got mine at Christy's BMW, they have a large selection of used models.

Get the codes pulled, and they will probably tell you of a lean condition or O2 sensor problem, which is mostly likely related to the whistling sound, which is probably a leak in intake system somewhere between the MAF and the intake manifold. Run the system, look and repair these cracks or holes, and the code will probably disappear.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:17 PM

Now im even more confused

So i brought the car to autozone to get the codes and they hooked the reader up to my car under the steering wheel. For some reason, the reader wasnt working or as the guy put it it wasnt fully connecting to the plug in my car. Ive had this done at autozone before with no problem and he said the reader was working all day before that, so it couldnt have been that. He said sometimes the outlets under the steering wheel can get jammed up more so u have to go in there and pull it out a little, has anyone heard of this before? Im wondering if when i brought the car to the BMW dealership they messed aorund with it
Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
Quote:
So i brought the car to autozone to get the codes and they hooked the reader up to my car under the steering wheel. For some reason, the reader wasnt working or as the guy put it it wasnt fully connecting to the plug in my car. Ive had this done at autozone before with no problem and he said the reader was working all day before that, so it couldnt have been that. He said sometimes the outlets under the steering wheel can get jammed up more so u have to go in there and pull it out a little, has anyone heard of this before? Im wondering if when i brought the car to the BMW dealership they messed aorund with it
He is just saying that the connector got pushed up into the console when someone...maybe him, was trying to plug in the OBD II code reader. Get down there and take a look at it. should be simple to get behind it and pull it down to snap it back in place or find the loose hardware etc.

also, try the volume control on your steering wheel too. I saw one BMW radio that would not work with the radio control itself, but did with the steering wheel volume control.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 AM
No User Serviceable Parts

Mein Auto: '04 545i, Schaltgetriebe
All major auto parts stores have the readers, so try another store. If you get the same results, then a possible disconnect/reconnect of the battery is in order, and you can see the age of the battery at that time.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: e46 ZHP, e90 M3
For the radio volume, disconnect the battery, take out the radio and blow air through the cd slot, it might work!

As for the light, as already said, go to another auto parts store,..but most likely you are looking at (a) cracked intake boot(s).