Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Unusual but... 2011 Cayenne vs 2011 X3

Weird comparison but I want to either get a small compact SUV at a good price point or go all in with a Cayenne.

These are the factors that I'm weighing:

x3 28i
-Smaller size so easier handle (183 vs 191, and 4112lbs vs 4475lbs)
-faster 0-60 speed
-bigger NAV screen (9 vs 7)
-Has HUD Display option
-Better fuel milage
-~47Gs base don my option list

Cayenne
- Higher premium brand perception, less common on road
- Wider array of options (e.g. Double insulated glass)
- Has lane change warning option
-~60gs based on my option list

Any thoughts, insights, things I'm overlooking would be appreciated.

Last edited by flyingbyhere; 04-07-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
All depends on what's important to you.

If money is not issue, Cayenne S is the one to get. Option it up to $90K and enjoy all the luxury, V8 and terrific handling features. Or use that money for X328i + 128i vert.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:40 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
dont know how many x3's you see but in the LA I visited and here, the Cayenne is most popular than the X3. Equal to the X5.

Cayenne if you are going to option it up

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbyhere View Post
Weird comparison but I want to either get a small compact SUV at a good price point or go all in with a Cayenne.

These are the factors that I'm weighing:

x3 28i
-Smaller size so easier handle (183 vs 191, and 4112lbs vs 4475lbs)
-faster 0-60 speed
-bigger NAV screen (9 vs 7)
-Has HUD Display option
-Better fuel milage
-~47Gs base don my option list

Cayenne
- Higher premium brand perception, less common on road
- Wider array of options (e.g. Double insulated glass)
- Has lane change warning option
-~60gs based on my option list

Any thoughts, insights, things I'm overlooking would be appreciated.
Shouldn't you be comparing it to the 35 and not the 28? Pricing is closer and I would go the BMW in that case. Money no option, the Porsche hands down.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 04-08-2011, 04:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
Agree

You cant compare X3 2.8 with PC S
Ilooked @PC very carefully, test drove it few times and even ordered pretty loaded S version.V8 is great but you have to add about 25K to make this car really perform and look good
PC V6 is a terrible waist/IMO/ it is essentually overpriced Toureg/2011 model, which by the way is a very good looking vehicle
But back to X3 vs PC S you can get loaded X3 3.5 and enjoy a great compact SUV OR
go with PC S if prestige is important factor
Me personally cancelled PC and ordered 550xi M sport for ED
Alex
Old 04-08-2011, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
Wow -- what an idea. Cross-shopping the Cayenne vs the X3. Here is the link where we did just that not too long ago.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...al+alternative

and btw, imo the only reason to get the Cayenne is to get the 6sp manual. If it were me I would look at a 6 cyl, 6spd MT, and option up the interior with sport seats, gorgeous leather and let all the others try to make their SUV a race car.

Now if you want an suv that has a lot of power I would consider an X5 5.0 and get the Dinan ecu flash.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:12 AM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
yea oh F it!

X5M

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Or as gas begins to approach $5.00 a gallon you could look at the T-egg diesel! The most inexpensive diesel to be had in an SUV in the US. Personally I really like the Cayenne, there are a plethora of tuners (at least in CA) who can "breath" upon it and provide a lot more power in the 300 hp V6. With the exeption of the standard wheels/tires I like the standard version and can live easily with it and the slick 6 speed manual transmission. Around here you meet all of them coming around the corner, but the Cayenne not so much as the X5 and X3. So there is not as much danger of getting into the wrong car at Trader Joes.

Last edited by UncleJ; 04-08-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 06 650i, 08 MINI ClubmanS
Man...I am also thinking about this...M-Sport X335i (pretty much loaded) or Cayenne V6 lightly options for about $3 to $4K difference...decision decision decision....
Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28i & 2013 328iX
It is indeed a wierd comparison (and partly unfair to be honest)... but I welcome the opportunity to add my comment:

I would compare the Porche with X5 or X6... which in many cases X6 tends to outperform the Cayenne :
http://www.bmw-sg.com/bmw-general/bm...ng/2008/08/16/
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...vs_rivals.html
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...vs_bmw_x6.html

By the way, I know this may sound a bit off track, but a few years back when we were doing a research (while I was in Germany) for the automotive industry (since my company used to offer automotive products and solutions to BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW and Porche) and during the time when the Cayenne was first launched: One real inspiration of Porche for launching that product series was in fact trying to fill in a market segment which included all the wives and girlfriends of 911 and other 2-seater porche drivers (normally the higher level earning folks) of whom wanted to buy their ladies a car that they love themselves but normally they wouldn't like a coupe or 2 seater car. This marketing campaign didn't turn out to be very successful afterall during the first releases (another proof of why you can never predict women ;-) )
I also think the new Cayenne's design is a total disappointment even compared to its first series (with respect to its performance though)

So my suggestion (I'm sure there are many other friends here in this forum who are technically more knowledgable than I am) is to compare X3 with Mercedes GLK or Audi Q5. And in that category my friend, I can tell you that X3 has a lot to say!!! We'll just start with the dazzling xDrive!!!

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Only the Porsche comes with a manual transmission, so there's really no comparison.

-James
Seattle, WA
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, m-sport, premium, xenons, PDC, prem stereo.)
Old 04-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: Off-Brand
^^Even with the manual transmission "advantage", the Cayenne hits 60mph in 8.5 while the X5 does in 7.8..still might be more fun to play with a manual though if BMW offered it.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:46 PM

^^ How about thru the cones, 60-0 and on the pad? How does the Cayenne stack up with the X3/5 there?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I have owned Porsche's and love them. And BMW has made me more pissed off because of their CS more than their product, but I would lean toward the X3 35 over a Porsche Cayenne S.

Simply put the engine in the new BMW can be chipped and hi perf add ons that would just decimate the Porsche and still be cheaper after the add ons.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 04-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Strange, but I was just considering these two cars myself. Glad to know I am not the only one who is looking at apples and oranges. For me, the only criteria was that I wanted a luxury SUV with good looks and performance, and both of these appealed to me (GLK, Q5, Q7, ML et al just didn't do it for me). I previously owned two X3s so I had a definite bias going in, but I did shop both extensively. BTW, I am past my "racing days" so I looked at the non-turbo versions of each.

I liked what they did to the Cayenne (the old one looked like a tank to me) without sacrificing size or space. However, the price differential (once you add all the options) just didn't measure up. You need at least 25K price add-on to the Cayenne to feel that it matches the X3 in equipment, when fully loaded. I also had some issues with the Cayenne's performance. Put simply, the X3 w/o turbo did not seem as bad compared as the Cayenne w/o turbo, compared respectively to their turbo brethren. The increased size of the new X3 helped, as I no longer that the Cayenne's advantage there was a deal braker. In the end, I could not justify the 20-30 K price differential to myself.

End result, I got the X3, MS with black leather, fully optioned and so far am very happy (a week and counting). I still think that the Cayenne would have been a good option as well, but this was my choice.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: None
for me it's going to come down to what's available...
Porsche is asking invoice + 3,000 - 4,000! If Porsche can cut that down by about half; so getting the same 6-7% off on each car (porsche has a lower invoice relative to MSRP) then I'll put some thought into it.
Otherwise I'm getting the X3 and will look again when Cayenne prices are more sane in a couple years

Last edited by silverforum; 04-20-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:57 AM

Supply and demand. The Porsche is a hot seller and they don't bring all that many over here even though the US (especially CA) is their best market. The X3 is more of a mass market unit (compared to the Porsche) and when there are more available, and more dealers selling them you will get better deals.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi & '08 X3si
Do what I did.... get both!

I have a 2009 Cayenne S (leased) and a 2011 X3 35i (purchased). I prefer the Cayenne, my wife prefers the X3. The X3 is a very compelling value - 50k vs. 75k.

The Cayenne is a beast in the snow. The last two winters have been brutal and I have been running performance winter tires all year round. I love how you can lock the differential in the 2009 Cayenne. I once barreled down a road with 10" of unplowed snow. I got stuck about 50 yards in to it because of not enough clearance. I was able to rock myself free locking differentials. In almost anything else, I would have had to dig myself out.

When the lease comes up in my Cayenne S, I am getting the Turbo.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 AM

You wouldn't be able to do that with the new Cayenne, at least in US trim, because they deleted the low range locker capability to save weight/money/increase performance. I do really like the new Cayenne and would consider the new 300 hp V6. When you look at the standard features on the Cayenne there are a ton of them, including leather. Granted if you choose you also pay extra for an automatic transmission which is standard in the X3 if you want it or not. The Porsche store (at least here) is starting to be almost reasonable, though I doubt if anyone is getting "invoice + $500" on a Cayenne, as you can on the X3. All in all a base Cayenne with perhaps a couple of well chosen (reasonable cost) options is not all that far out of an X3 35 range, and you have the advantage of not seeing yourself coming around every corner, except in LaLa land of course.

Last edited by UncleJ; 08-31-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: '07 530i
Funny that this thread popped up because I was set on the X3, but just test drove the Cayenne yesterday and was blown away. Granted the comparison is biased because I only test drove the Cayenne hybrid- no V6's were available for test drive, and I didn't drive the V8 afterward for fear of becoming really really enamored and doing something irrational!
- Cayenne interior is much nicer than the X3. The X3 is tidier, and I do like the iDrive system, but the Porsche felt much more luxurious with better fit and finish. I don't know the exact dimensions, but it also seemed to have more rear seat space and cargo space.
- The Cayenne also seemed to drive "smaller" than it really is. The brakes were great, and in sport mode, the cornering was amazing. The X5 feels too truckish for me which is why I prefer the X3. The Porsche also had none of the throttle delay that I find highly annoying in my 335, let alone the X3.
- The V6 (in the hybrid) did become quite raucous under full throttle, but not unduly harsh. I'm a little put-off by the Porsche sterotype, and the price is also significantly higher than the X3. But I'm afraid the Cayenne ruined me, and I may not be truly "happy" with the X3 anymore. Someone talk me down from the ledge please!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:24 PM

Take deep breaths and slide across the wall to the window, then step back inside and have a nice cold drink. The V6 in the Hybrid Cayenne is a supercharged unit sourced from VW/Audi and (sadly) is not the V6 you would find in the base Cayenne. The hybrid is virtually the same cost as a decently optioned "S" and would be "acceptable" if you were in Hollywood and wanted to park it at Ivy amongst the Prius/Tesla group in the front rank. I think I will go down to the Porsche store and drool a bit.....

Last edited by UncleJ; 08-31-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Comrade Vlad

Mein Auto: 99 M3 Conv MT, 06 325i
That is bit weird, since they are in different classes.
If you ok with either one, go with one that feels more suited for you.
Test drive both few times.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Take deep breaths and slide across the wall to the window, then step back inside and have a nice cold drink. The V6 in the Hybrid Cayenne is a supercharged unit sourced from VW/Audi and (sadly) is not the V6 you would find in the base Cayenne. The hybrid is virtually the same cost as a decently optioned "S" and would be "acceptable" if you were in Hollywood and wanted to park it at Ivy amongst the Prius/Tesla group in the front rank. I think I will go down to the Porsche store and drool a bit.....
ITA with UncleJ. The V6 I drove did not inspire as much confidence as the non-turbo X3. However, both the Cayenne Hybrid and the S (and Turbo of course) are excellent performers.

Unfortunately, even with the V6 option, you are still looking at an additional $ 15-20 K for the Cayenne, compared to a similarly equipped X3.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:02 AM

I don't think its quite that much of a spread, although there is certainly a spread, between the two. Just for kicks I priced out an X3 35 and a Cayenne how I would want equipped if I were buying one, not wishing for what I could get but actually buying it. For me it came to about $7K difference. The Cayenne is very well equipped to start, and of course has a 6 speed stick standard. The X3 had to add a number of things, Leather, power lift gate, etc. OTOH the BMW store would deal and the Porsche store would not. I couldn't factor that in, but assume it would lessen the X3 price somewhat. All in all, in my case, I did not find the Cayenne priced beyond what I would comfortable spend, a bit more, but not THAT much more. And, yes the X3 would outperform the base Cayenne, better speed and better mileage. Handling I think would be about equal, with a slight edge to the Porsche. At the end of the day its all about what YOU want and that's the way it should be anyway.

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-01-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
I test drove the Diesel Cayenne and it was crap and slow, the new X3 35D M sport I have ordered eats it. 0-60 in 5.6secs.
Looks reasonable as well, ok it's no Porsche but who cares.