Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 02-21-2004, 03:39 AM
2004 325XI

Send a message via AIM to solsurfr Send a message via MSN to solsurfr
Mein Auto: 2004 325XI
Front License Plate Braket???

I've read a few threads about this topic and I am hoping you guys can help me out. I've read that some cars get the front license plate bracket installed at the dealer after the cars get trucked in from the VPC. I've read they get installed at the VPC. I've read they get installed at the factory in Munich. I picked up my car last month in Munich and noticed that the front (usa) licence plate braket was installed but I wasn't sure if the two bottom screws were drilled into the bumper. I called my dealer's parts department and placed an order for the front bumper trim so I can replace the front bracket and give my car a clean look in the front with the replacement strip. Here is what I ordered:

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp?HC1=...2004&HCM=325Xi

My question is... Given the pics below, can you tell me if there are holes already drilled into my bumper below the trim? My dealer and parts department really have no idea if cars come in pre-drilled or if they get drilled by the Service department or what.

If so, how can I plug up those holes? I'm pretty bummed if the bumper is already drilled with holes because in Pennsylvania a front license plate is not required so I was hoping to keep the front bracket-free.

Here a couple of pics but it is kinda hard to tell. Your opinions are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DVC00554.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	26323   Click image for larger version

Name:	DVC00630.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	26324   Click image for larger version

Name:	DVC00641.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	26325  

European Delivery - 2004 325XI, Black Saphirre, Sand Leather, CWP, Moonroof, Xenon, Pwr Seats, Computer w/Navi, Sirius Satellite Radio
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2004, 06:42 AM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
I can only speak for the dealer I work at. The sedans come with a piece missing on the bumper. There is an alternate trim piece, it is a license plate delete. Depending on the state, they either will mount the plate bracket or the delete strip. If you look at the plate mount, you can see where it fits in on the bumper, between the bumper strips. The plate mount comes out and the other piece goes in it's place. It is a 5 minute operation. I do not know about the holes on the bottom, seems like a separate issue.

Last edited by 'Cane; 02-21-2004 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:31 AM
2004 325XI

Send a message via AIM to solsurfr Send a message via MSN to solsurfr
Mein Auto: 2004 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Cane
I can only speak for the dealer I work at. The sedans come with a piece missing on the bumper. There is an alternate trim piece, it is a license plate delete. Depending on the state, they either will mount the plate bracket or the delete strip. If you look at the plate mount, you can see where it fits in on the bumper, between the bumper strips. The plate mount comes out and the other piece goes in it's place. It is a 5 minute operation. I do not know about the holes on the bottom, seems like a separate issue.
Thanks for the reply. The peeps over at the ED forum have said that there are no holes that penetrate the bumper. The front bracket fits flush with the bumper making it look bolted on but it really just hangs over the lower part of the bumper under the trim. My dealer told me I have to buy the replacement trim and that they do not replace them for customers because their state requires front plates. I found that kind of odd since it is a common practice to buy a car out-of-state? So I'm paying $24 for a front replacement trim. Expensive but worth the clean look, I think.

European Delivery - 2004 325XI, Black Saphirre, Sand Leather, CWP, Moonroof, Xenon, Pwr Seats, Computer w/Navi, Sirius Satellite Radio