Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 PM
jmr99vet jmr99vet is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: maryland
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
cabin noise

Have had my 535 for 7 months and could no be happier with one exception. I am suprised by the amount of "air" noise in the cabin. It seems to be coming from where the door meets the body around my shoulder. I checked the gasket with a piece of paper and could pull it out with some pressure. This is my first BMW. Is this sound "normal". thanks
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM
markl53's Avatar
markl53 markl53 is online now
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,265
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I don't have any such air noise in my 535i. Do you mean it's kind of like a door is part way open? Something is wrong.
__________________
BMW-CCA
Bimmerfest Supporting Member



2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-07-2011, 12:27 PM
jmr99vet jmr99vet is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: maryland
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I don't have any such air noise in my 535i. Do you mean it's kind of like a door is part way open? Something is wrong.
No it's no as noisy as when the door is half open. I guess on a scale of 1 (extremly quiet) to 10 (window open) mine would be a 3-3.5.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 PM
pkfinman pkfinman is offline
Registered User
Location: Raleigh
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 56
Mein Auto: 11 535i + 07 911 Targa 4
My 535 is very quiet. You may want to get it checked out. Possibly a faulty window or door seal.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfinman View Post
My 535 is very quiet. You may want to get it checked out. Possibly a faulty window or door seal.
Ditto.



Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
laser's Avatar
laser laser is offline
now driving number eight!
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,172
Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr99vet View Post
Have had my 535 for 7 months and could no be happier with one exception. I am suprised by the amount of "air" noise in the cabin. It seems to be coming from where the door meets the body around my shoulder. I checked the gasket with a piece of paper and could pull it out with some pressure. This is my first BMW. Is this sound "normal". thanks
This is not normal.

On my previous 2008 535i there was a bad seal on the sunroof that had to be replaced initially to quiet down that air noise.

These are hard to explain to the dealer service but a good SA should take this seriously and get the seals looked after.
__________________
Laser

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
___________________________

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 PM
5fix 5fix is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois, it's not my fault, I'm from Iowa
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d; 2012 550ix
I have exactly the same issue, lots of wind noise at my left shoulder. I complained about it immediately when I bought the car...much more noise than my 2006 550i, and much more noise than my wife's X5. Sounds as if the back window is down a quarter inch, very annoying. I have soft close doors and they adjusted the driver's door to have it tighten down a bit more, no improvement at all. I inspected all of the windows from the outside and cannot notice any gaps. Any ideas anyone? Someone suggested that the window itself may need to be adjusted in its track. I have an appointment next week to put my summer tires on and to have the wind noise issue looked at (again). Will update you then.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM
ni8done's Avatar
ni8done ni8done is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Jersey
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 141
Mein Auto: A few things
I have the same noise to I think, but I am coming out of a 750Li and I think im thinking into it to much..Keep us posted
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-08-2011, 04:36 AM
jmr99vet jmr99vet is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: maryland
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fix View Post
I have exactly the same issue, lots of wind noise at my left shoulder. I complained about it immediately when I bought the car...much more noise than my 2006 550i, and much more noise than my wife's X5. Sounds as if the back window is down a quarter inch, very annoying. I have soft close doors and they adjusted the driver's door to have it tighten down a bit more, no improvement at all. I inspected all of the windows from the outside and cannot notice any gaps. Any ideas anyone? Someone suggested that the window itself may need to be adjusted in its track. I have an appointment next week to put my summer tires on and to have the wind noise issue looked at (again). Will update you then.
Looking forward to your update.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-08-2011, 05:31 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is offline
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,558
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Yikes, that sucks. These things unfortunately seem to be minute defects sometimes when putting the car together, which turn into HUGELY annoying problems for the Owners. They're also very hard to diagnose and fix sometimes.

My previous E-Class had a small wind noise coming from a similar area, and it was hard for me to get it taken cars of. I think it was a rubber seal problem, but couldn't get a definite.

Curious to see if it gets resolved. Good luck.
__________________
'13 F10 BMW 535i Sport : Jet Black/Black-Anthracite : Premium & Technology Packages/Sport Auto Trans/Camera/Park Distance Control/Heated Seats/Tinted Windows/Blacked Out Markers/Performance Spoiler.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 PM
gr8nrg's Avatar
gr8nrg gr8nrg is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sandy Eggo
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 350
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
My 528 has the quietest cabin of any car I've been to....so I think you should get yours checked out.
__________________

2011 528i Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Dark Wood Trim / Prem Pack / Nav / PDC / USB-iPod
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Ian_C Ian_C is offline
Registered User
Location: DC, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 41
Mein Auto: 2011 F10 ED 10/7/10
wind noise

I have noticed the same with my car (driver's side also by left shoulder.) It sounds like a whistling noise and is noticeable at 60 + mph. I thought I was being too critical but now that there are others complaining about it, I will have it looked at.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Rafa Rafa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Miami, FL
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 802
Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8nrg View Post
My 528 has the quietest cabin of any car I've been to....so I think you should get yours checked out.
+1. Mine is very quiet at all speeds.
__________________
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-10-2011, 12:52 PM
paul3 paul3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: '11 550xi, '05 Z4, '05 X3
Similar noise

Funny this is coming up. What I've noticed is that when a car drives by in the opposite direction (on a non-divided road), it sounds like either driver or rear drive side window is open a crack.

I too checked around the door and could not see anything obvious.

I plan to take in to the dealer and see wha they say. I'll update once I do.

2011 550 xi M-Sport
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Quick11 Quick11 is offline
Registered User
Location: Greensboro
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I have the same noise. I'm retired and ferry Cadillacs for a local dealer. I find it disturbing that a 40K Cadillac is quieter than my 65K 535. My noise sounds like it's over my left shoulder also.

I asked the dealer to check it out and got the "normal" BS
__________________
2011 535I Dark Graphite, Sport, P 1&2, Cold, 8spd, CA
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-10-2011, 04:12 PM
markl53's Avatar
markl53 markl53 is online now
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,265
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick11 View Post
I have the same noise. I'm retired and ferry Cadillacs for a local dealer. I find it disturbing that a 40K Cadillac is quieter than my 65K 535. My noise sounds like it's over my left shoulder also.

I asked the dealer to check it out and got the "normal" BS
Drive another F10 at the dealer and I'm betting it doesn't make the noise -- then take them with you in both cars. As others have said above, my F10 is one of, if not the quietest, cars I've ever driven. No wind noise at all. Interesting that several people seem to have the same issue.
__________________
BMW-CCA
Bimmerfest Supporting Member



2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-10-2011, 05:21 PM
beashonda beashonda is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: nj
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 602
Mein Auto: 2014 535 x Drive
Mines pretty quiet.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-10-2011, 05:57 PM
laser's Avatar
laser laser is offline
now driving number eight!
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,172
Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Drive another F10 at the dealer and I'm betting it doesn't make the noise -- then take them with you in both cars. As others have said above, my F10 is one of, if not the quietest, cars I've ever driven. No wind noise at all. Interesting that several people seem to have the same issue.
Mark, a great way to "wrestle this to the ground".

As someone said already the F10 is quiet like a bank vault.

If you hear wind noise ...... seals are bad.
__________________
Laser

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
___________________________

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 PM
bmwarchitect bmwarchitect is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: upstate new york
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Don't know if this is related......

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508291
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 PM
JohnRI JohnRI is offline
Registered User
Location: Rhode Island
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 550i xDrive M Sport
Zero noise. Only been driving it for 4 days now but mine is so quiet just like others are describing, "a vault". I had a 2001 740iL Sport that I always thought the rear window behind me was slightly open and my wife's 2002 X5 also has same annoying noise. Both dealers told me multiple times that there was nothing wrong with the seal. I would no longer accept that answer after driving my new F10.
__________________
2011 550i xDrive, Imperial Blue Metallic/Oyster & Black Nappa, ZAV, ZCW, ZMP, ZP2, 2TB, 337, 465, 610, 6NF and 6WA. Worth the wait!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 PM
5fix 5fix is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois, it's not my fault, I'm from Iowa
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d; 2012 550ix
Well, the dealership tried to adjust the soft close doors again last week, no improvement. So today I had a couple of regional BMW reprentatives (technical and marketing) drive with me. Very kind and thoughtful guys. But, no solution. Said that the glass on the F10is thinner than on the e60, to save weight and improve gas mileage (same reason there is no spare). They suggested that the front door should be adjusted out a bit so the back of the front door closest to B pillar sticks out just a bit more than the front of the back door, so the air flows over the seam between the doors. Hmmmmm.

I drove in the passenger back seat of my car, no noise. I drove a new 550i off the lot with the technical rep and it seemed to have the same amount of wind noise at the driver's B pillar. This just cannot be right. There is far more wind noise than my 2006 550i and and my wife's 2011 X5. Heck, even with a diesel, the X5 is quieter at highway speeds. I drove home from work today and again was frustrated by the noise, it is a wafting wind noise, like the back window is down just a bit, or like there is a 50 mph gusting cross wind. Very frustrating. Certainly not vault quiet.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarchitect View Post
Don't know if this is related......

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508291
Shouldn't be. I have that, and it only happens with the vent open. And there's no noise when the vent is closed. Dead quiet.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is offline
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,558
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fix View Post
Well, the dealership tried to adjust the soft close doors again last week, no improvement. So today I had a couple of regional BMW reprentatives (technical and marketing) drive with me. Very kind and thoughtful guys. But, no solution. Said that the glass on the F10is thinner than on the e60, to save weight and improve gas mileage (same reason there is no spare). They suggested that the front door should be adjusted out a bit so the back of the front door closest to B pillar sticks out just a bit more than the front of the back door, so the air flows over the seam between the doors. Hmmmmm.

I drove in the passenger back seat of my car, no noise. I drove a new 550i off the lot with the technical rep and it seemed to have the same amount of wind noise at the driver's B pillar. This just cannot be right. There is far more wind noise than my 2006 550i and and my wife's 2011 X5. Heck, even with a diesel, the X5 is quieter at highway speeds. I drove home from work today and again was frustrated by the noise, it is a wafting wind noise, like the back window is down just a bit, or like there is a 50 mph gusting cross wind. Very frustrating. Certainly not vault quiet.
That's terrible, and certainly not what you pay for. If it were me I'd push to get a new/different car. Things like this "they" see as so minute, you could never lemon a car for example, but to an owner, especially one who bought a Premium vehicle, it is one of the most major annoyances and ruiners of the experience.
__________________
'13 F10 BMW 535i Sport : Jet Black/Black-Anthracite : Premium & Technology Packages/Sport Auto Trans/Camera/Park Distance Control/Heated Seats/Tinted Windows/Blacked Out Markers/Performance Spoiler.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM
romeofrosty romeofrosty is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cape May, NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fix View Post
Well, the dealership tried to adjust the soft close doors again last week, no improvement. So today I had a couple of regional BMW reprentatives (technical and marketing) drive with me. Very kind and thoughtful guys. But, no solution. Said that the glass on the F10is thinner than on the e60, to save weight and improve gas mileage (same reason there is no spare). They suggested that the front door should be adjusted out a bit so the back of the front door closest to B pillar sticks out just a bit more than the front of the back door, so the air flows over the seam between the doors. Hmmmmm.

I drove in the passenger back seat of my car, no noise. I drove a new 550i off the lot with the technical rep and it seemed to have the same amount of wind noise at the driver's B pillar. This just cannot be right. There is far more wind noise than my 2006 550i and and my wife's 2011 X5. Heck, even with a diesel, the X5 is quieter at highway speeds. I drove home from work today and again was frustrated by the noise, it is a wafting wind noise, like the back window is down just a bit, or like there is a 50 mph gusting cross wind. Very frustrating. Certainly not vault quiet.
Just picked up my 528i this month. I also have the same wind noise starting at around 60 mph. Since this is my first BMW I really had nothing to compare it to, until I brought it back to the dealer so they could buff out some minor surface scratches I had noticed when I initially picked up the car. I had the managers 535i as a loaner for the day and found it to be much quieter at highway speeds. My car also has the soft-close doors. The 535i had the regular doors. I don't know if the soft-close doors are a factor here or not.
My next trip to the dealer I intend to have them drive it and hear their opinion on the noise difference. Other than that I have no issues with the car and am very happy with it.
__________________
2011 BMW 528i- Black Saphire Metallic, Black Leather, Prem. Package, Prem. Package 2, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package,Sport Auto Trans, Anthracite Wood & Headliner, Xenon Lights, Split Fold-down Seats.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-28-2011, 06:24 PM
ihumphrey ihumphrey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 559
Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Mine is very quiet, minimal wind noise...my wife has a 2011 e70 and I would NEVER say it was quieter at highway speeds, not even close. Although they are both quiet rides overall compared to every other car I have owned including my 3 prior bimmers. FWIW I do have soft close doors.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms