Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
cabin noise

Have had my 535 for 7 months and could no be happier with one exception. I am suprised by the amount of "air" noise in the cabin. It seems to be coming from where the door meets the body around my shoulder. I checked the gasket with a piece of paper and could pull it out with some pressure. This is my first BMW. Is this sound "normal". thanks
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

I don't have any such air noise in my 535i. Do you mean it's kind of like a door is part way open? Something is wrong.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 04-07-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I don't have any such air noise in my 535i. Do you mean it's kind of like a door is part way open? Something is wrong.
No it's no as noisy as when the door is half open. I guess on a scale of 1 (extremly quiet) to 10 (window open) mine would be a 3-3.5.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535i + 07 911 Targa 4
My 535 is very quiet. You may want to get it checked out. Possibly a faulty window or door seal.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfinman View Post
My 535 is very quiet. You may want to get it checked out. Possibly a faulty window or door seal.
Ditto.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr99vet View Post
Have had my 535 for 7 months and could no be happier with one exception. I am suprised by the amount of "air" noise in the cabin. It seems to be coming from where the door meets the body around my shoulder. I checked the gasket with a piece of paper and could pull it out with some pressure. This is my first BMW. Is this sound "normal". thanks
This is not normal.

On my previous 2008 535i there was a bad seal on the sunroof that had to be replaced initially to quiet down that air noise.

These are hard to explain to the dealer service but a good SA should take this seriously and get the seals looked after.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d; 2012 550ix
I have exactly the same issue, lots of wind noise at my left shoulder. I complained about it immediately when I bought the car...much more noise than my 2006 550i, and much more noise than my wife's X5. Sounds as if the back window is down a quarter inch, very annoying. I have soft close doors and they adjusted the driver's door to have it tighten down a bit more, no improvement at all. I inspected all of the windows from the outside and cannot notice any gaps. Any ideas anyone? Someone suggested that the window itself may need to be adjusted in its track. I have an appointment next week to put my summer tires on and to have the wind noise issue looked at (again). Will update you then.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: A few things
I have the same noise to I think, but I am coming out of a 750Li and I think im thinking into it to much..Keep us posted
Old 04-08-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fix View Post
I have exactly the same issue, lots of wind noise at my left shoulder. I complained about it immediately when I bought the car...much more noise than my 2006 550i, and much more noise than my wife's X5. Sounds as if the back window is down a quarter inch, very annoying. I have soft close doors and they adjusted the driver's door to have it tighten down a bit more, no improvement at all. I inspected all of the windows from the outside and cannot notice any gaps. Any ideas anyone? Someone suggested that the window itself may need to be adjusted in its track. I have an appointment next week to put my summer tires on and to have the wind noise issue looked at (again). Will update you then.
Looking forward to your update.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Yikes, that sucks. These things unfortunately seem to be minute defects sometimes when putting the car together, which turn into HUGELY annoying problems for the Owners. They're also very hard to diagnose and fix sometimes.

My previous E-Class had a small wind noise coming from a similar area, and it was hard for me to get it taken cars of. I think it was a rubber seal problem, but couldn't get a definite.

Curious to see if it gets resolved. Good luck.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
My 528 has the quietest cabin of any car I've been to....so I think you should get yours checked out.

2011 528i Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Dark Wood Trim / Prem Pack / Nav / PDC / USB-iPod
Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 ED 10/7/10
wind noise

I have noticed the same with my car (driver's side also by left shoulder.) It sounds like a whistling noise and is noticeable at 60 + mph. I thought I was being too critical but now that there are others complaining about it, I will have it looked at.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8nrg View Post
My 528 has the quietest cabin of any car I've been to....so I think you should get yours checked out.
+1. Mine is very quiet at all speeds.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: '11 550xi, '05 Z4, '05 X3
Similar noise

Funny this is coming up. What I've noticed is that when a car drives by in the opposite direction (on a non-divided road), it sounds like either driver or rear drive side window is open a crack.

I too checked around the door and could not see anything obvious.

I plan to take in to the dealer and see wha they say. I'll update once I do.

2011 550 xi M-Sport
Old 04-10-2011, 02:30 PM

I have the same noise. I'm retired and ferry Cadillacs for a local dealer. I find it disturbing that a 40K Cadillac is quieter than my 65K 535. My noise sounds like it's over my left shoulder also.

I asked the dealer to check it out and got the "normal" BS
Old 04-10-2011, 04:12 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick11 View Post
I have the same noise. I'm retired and ferry Cadillacs for a local dealer. I find it disturbing that a 40K Cadillac is quieter than my 65K 535. My noise sounds like it's over my left shoulder also.

I asked the dealer to check it out and got the "normal" BS
Drive another F10 at the dealer and I'm betting it doesn't make the noise -- then take them with you in both cars. As others have said above, my F10 is one of, if not the quietest, cars I've ever driven. No wind noise at all. Interesting that several people seem to have the same issue.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 04-10-2011, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535 x Drive
Mines pretty quiet.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:57 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Drive another F10 at the dealer and I'm betting it doesn't make the noise -- then take them with you in both cars. As others have said above, my F10 is one of, if not the quietest, cars I've ever driven. No wind noise at all. Interesting that several people seem to have the same issue.
Mark, a great way to "wrestle this to the ground".

As someone said already the F10 is quiet like a bank vault.

If you hear wind noise ...... seals are bad.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Don't know if this is related......

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508291
Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 550i xDrive M Sport
Zero noise. Only been driving it for 4 days now but mine is so quiet just like others are describing, "a vault". I had a 2001 740iL Sport that I always thought the rear window behind me was slightly open and my wife's 2002 X5 also has same annoying noise. Both dealers told me multiple times that there was nothing wrong with the seal. I would no longer accept that answer after driving my new F10.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d; 2012 550ix
Well, the dealership tried to adjust the soft close doors again last week, no improvement. So today I had a couple of regional BMW reprentatives (technical and marketing) drive with me. Very kind and thoughtful guys. But, no solution. Said that the glass on the F10is thinner than on the e60, to save weight and improve gas mileage (same reason there is no spare). They suggested that the front door should be adjusted out a bit so the back of the front door closest to B pillar sticks out just a bit more than the front of the back door, so the air flows over the seam between the doors. Hmmmmm.

I drove in the passenger back seat of my car, no noise. I drove a new 550i off the lot with the technical rep and it seemed to have the same amount of wind noise at the driver's B pillar. This just cannot be right. There is far more wind noise than my 2006 550i and and my wife's 2011 X5. Heck, even with a diesel, the X5 is quieter at highway speeds. I drove home from work today and again was frustrated by the noise, it is a wafting wind noise, like the back window is down just a bit, or like there is a 50 mph gusting cross wind. Very frustrating. Certainly not vault quiet.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarchitect View Post
Don't know if this is related......

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508291
Shouldn't be. I have that, and it only happens with the vent open. And there's no noise when the vent is closed. Dead quiet.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Well, the dealership tried to adjust the soft close doors again last week, no improvement. So today I had a couple of regional BMW reprentatives (technical and marketing) drive with me. Very kind and thoughtful guys. But, no solution. Said that the glass on the F10is thinner than on the e60, to save weight and improve gas mileage (same reason there is no spare). They suggested that the front door should be adjusted out a bit so the back of the front door closest to B pillar sticks out just a bit more than the front of the back door, so the air flows over the seam between the doors. Hmmmmm.

I drove in the passenger back seat of my car, no noise. I drove a new 550i off the lot with the technical rep and it seemed to have the same amount of wind noise at the driver's B pillar. This just cannot be right. There is far more wind noise than my 2006 550i and and my wife's 2011 X5. Heck, even with a diesel, the X5 is quieter at highway speeds. I drove home from work today and again was frustrated by the noise, it is a wafting wind noise, like the back window is down just a bit, or like there is a 50 mph gusting cross wind. Very frustrating. Certainly not vault quiet.
That's terrible, and certainly not what you pay for. If it were me I'd push to get a new/different car. Things like this "they" see as so minute, you could never lemon a car for example, but to an owner, especially one who bought a Premium vehicle, it is one of the most major annoyances and ruiners of the experience.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Quote:

Just picked up my 528i this month. I also have the same wind noise starting at around 60 mph. Since this is my first BMW I really had nothing to compare it to, until I brought it back to the dealer so they could buff out some minor surface scratches I had noticed when I initially picked up the car. I had the managers 535i as a loaner for the day and found it to be much quieter at highway speeds. My car also has the soft-close doors. The 535i had the regular doors. I don't know if the soft-close doors are a factor here or not.
My next trip to the dealer I intend to have them drive it and hear their opinion on the noise difference. Other than that I have no issues with the car and am very happy with it.
2011 BMW 528i- Black Saphire Metallic, Black Leather, Prem. Package, Prem. Package 2, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package,Sport Auto Trans, Anthracite Wood & Headliner, Xenon Lights, Split Fold-down Seats.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Mine is very quiet, minimal wind noise...my wife has a 2011 e70 and I would NEVER say it was quieter at highway speeds, not even close. Although they are both quiet rides overall compared to every other car I have owned including my 3 prior bimmers. FWIW I do have soft close doors.