Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-07-2011, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Help, Dead Battery! How do I pop the trunk open?

Well I tried starting my car this morning and I hear silence? No crank, won't start! I finally got a hold of a neighbor and help me provide power by connecting battery charger through the (+) post from the engine. We then were able to pop the trunk and check the battery. My battery reads 4.4 volts. So we charged it for a minute and tried starting it! It clicks, kicks hard but does'nt start.

He suggested to run through the gears while the ignition in position 2 and try again. Wow, I never knew you could do that, my car purred like a cheetah! ( this allows the solenoid to reset and allow the starter to crank over).

Now that the battery is out, thanks to some best links advise, I went to autozone and purchased a their 49dl battery $99.00 plus core.

So I get home, guess what? The IDIOT in me shut the trunk after I took the battery out!

1. What is the best way to open the trunk since there isn't a battery in the car?
(tried the manual way with my key, did'nt work!)
Help!

Last edited by bdavid13; 04-07-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Edit my posting
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2011, 03:15 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: Me - E39 5spd, Wife - E36
you can try hooking power up under the hood. Jumper cables again and see if that will give you the power to pop it or enough power to use the key and manually open it?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540i
Why doesn't the key work, are you turning it the right way. Put the key in and turn it to the left, and it should prop open unless your lock mechanism in your trunk is broken.
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights

Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i Sport AW
The owners manual clearly states, how to operate the locks manually.

Last edited by s140s; 04-07-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Ditto...follow the instructions in the owners manual...and the many suggestions in past threads to insert the key and turn it COUNTER CLOCKWISE past the location that electronically unlocks the trunk. (turning only to the location you usually turn it...expecting the trunk to "pop" open will result in failure...must turn to the MANUAL UNLOCK position when there's no power)

BMW designed the trunk and the drivers' door so that you can ALWAYS manually unlock them. Again, you MUST turn PAST the electronic actuation of the lock to the manual position. Give a try and report back. BTW...if you lock cylinders do NOT turn to the manually UNLOCK position, try some lube in the lock cylinder...you should be able to turn them (the driver's door & the trunk ) to these manual positions:

-

-

(my key turned 180 counter clockwise to manually UNLOCK the driver's door)
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 04-07-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Ditto...follow the instructions in the owners manual...and the many suggestions in past threads to insert the key and turn it COUNTER CLOCKWISE past the location that electronically unlocks the trunk. (turning only to the location you usually turn it...expecting the trunk to "pop" open will result in failure...must turn to the MANUAL UNLOCK position when there's no power)

BMW designed the trunk and the drivers' door so that you can ALWAYS manually unlock them. Again, you MUST turn PAST the electronic actuation of the lock to the manual position. Give a try and report back. BTW...if you lock cylinders do NOT turn to the manually UNLOCK position, try some lube in the lock cylinder...you should be able to turn them (the driver's door & the trunk ) to these manual positions:

-

-

(my key turned 180 counter clockwise to manually UNLOCK the driver's door)
nice links

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 04-07-2011, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
nice links
The question has been asked so often, QSilver7 has that one on speed dial.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Thank you for all the replies, I did not try the manual way, but I did use the (+) connector in the engine bay with a battery charger and my car powered up! The previous owner had used a lower rated battery (750 crank amps interstate battey vs 850 crank amp duralast) Not sure if this would have made a difference on why my battery died.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavid13 View Post
I did not try the manual way
I see you popped your trunk; but you'll do yourself a favor by taking the minute to walk to the trunk, put the key in, and turn it left until it's horizontal again. It 'feels' like you're forcing it; but, as we all know (since we've all done it), that's the way it works in manual mode.

As QSilver7 has said perhaps a hundred times ... if that doesn't open it, you're just not turning it enough (unless something else is actually broken).

Quote:
The previous owner had used a lower rated battery (750 crank amps interstate battey vs 850 crank amp duralast) Not sure if this would have made a difference on why my battery died.
IMHO, that distinction is virtually meaningless in a new'ish battery since it doesn't take anywhere near 750 amps to crank an engine. Of course, that distinction 'starts' to matter when the battery is:
  • cold
  • old
  • discharged
But, other than that, it shouldn't really matter all that much (IMHO).

Quote:
My battery reads 4.4 volts
You meant 14.4 volts, right?

Even so, it's trivial to 'test' a battery:
- DIY how to test a BMW E39 battery & alternator