Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-06-2014, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328i convertible
Hazy convertible window restoration progress

First, thank you all for this site. You folks have saved me a ton of money on my new e36.

To try and give back, I figured I'd post what I did today to my rear window (sorry if someone's done this, I didn't see anyone sanding their window anywhere).

It is a replacement top and window is sewn in. The window is heavily pitted, stained, and fogged so badly it is unusable. I had tried to compound and polish with no luck. I figured I'd try the faded headlight method since it couldn't get any worse.

Washed it, then wet sanded 320, 600, 1000, 2000, and 3000 (alternating horiz and vert), followed with Meguiars 10 and 17.

The first run was just the drivers side done somewhat hastily to see if it would even work. The passenger side is what I started out with.

After seeing the results, I went over the whole thing slower and viola:

Nowhere near perfect or new, but it's usable and keeps me from replacing the top. I plan to redo this a few more times to try and get the heavier pitting out.
Ads by Google
Old 07-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Strength in Knowledge

Mein Auto: 99 328i Convertible
Looks a whole lot better then before. You may have some yellowing on the inside as well which might come off by just using a plastic polish.

Anyway, good job and thanks for sharing!

"Quiet Professional"