Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-09-2011, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 328is
Cooling system question

So I'm trying to figure out if my cooling system was replaced by a PO. Originally I assumed it hadn't been replaced as I do have service records for the car, and there's no repairs listed for any cooling system components.

However, last night after installing my cross brace [ obviously I'm excited about that] my friend's dad (who helped me install it) pointed out that I have metal thermostat housing.

I guess my question amounts to this: Did the late model e36's ship with metal instead of plastic housing? or what are other things I can do to verify any other parts as replaced?

I know the water pump has to be taken out to really know, but perhaps the radiator nub or something else would be telling?

Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 04-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Somebody stop me....

Mein Auto: EW/// 86
If you don't know about the thermostat. Just change it, not that much money and it's just a safety thing.

When I did my system I had a aluminum housing as well as a metal impeller. No idea what the PO did though.
You canít spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from, so follow rule #32 and Enjoy The Little Things.