Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-21-2004, 11:11 PM
After525

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
X3 2.5 enough power?

I was wodnering now that the x3 is released if anyone could comment on the acceleration of the X3 2.5. People remarked before that it would be "sluggish" going up hills etc...Is this what to expect?
Ads by Google
Old 02-21-2004, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by USER NAME
I was wodnering now that the x3 is released if anyone could comment on the acceleration of the X3 2.5. People remarked before that it would be "sluggish" going up hills etc...Is this what to expect?
Ok, I am not talking from direct experience. Think of the 325i with slushy, add some significant weight, and then you'll get the picture. I think it'll be enough power to get around town, but will that be enough for you? There will be a lot of X3 2.5 slushies out there, I think. For me, I'd have to go with the 3.0 if I had the X3 with a slushie. But I like power!
Old 02-22-2004, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5l sport pkg
x3- 2.5l

I purchase a loaded 2.5l with sport pkg, xe, winter, premium,and auto. the car is great. the suspension is only a little rough on roads with lots of expansion joints. I like the ride of a sports car and the panoramic sunroof was as close as I can get to my 2002 325 CIC convertable. The car has sufficient power for average driving. the sport pakg really makes the vehicle look agressive. I have to go get the trailer hitch on monday will post how it goes.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Thumbs up X3 2.5 Acceleration

I just took delivery of my X3 2.5 Saturday. I really don't see a big difference between the 2.5 and 3.0 in this car. It's still in the break in period, so I havn't really pushed it yet, and here in Chicago there aren't any mountains so I can't attest to how it is on really big or steep hills, but I find that it feels at least as quick if not quicker than the E36 325I that I traded in. It's no pocket rocket, but accelerating onto the highway or passing is no problem. The handling of this SAV is exceptional!

X3 2.5 Automatic, PP, Nav, without sports package.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by USER NAME
Oh good lord. Are you racing a Vette up hills or something?

I imagine it probably has reasonable pull from 90-110 mph up a mild incline such as you'd find on a major highway somewhere, yes. Or put it this way, it would out-accelerate 85% of the cars in its homeland, even considering its hefty kerb weight.

Naturally performance like this would involve sending the rev counter needle higher. But we like doing that, and we understand that BMW (as with some others) understands that high-rev operation in order to produce sufficient power is absolutely normal. that's why we buy these cars!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattguy
I purchase a loaded 2.5l with sport pkg, xe, winter, premium,and auto. the car is great. the suspension is only a little rough on roads with lots of expansion joints. I like the ride of a sports car and the panoramic sunroof was as close as I can get to my 2002 325 CIC convertable. The car has sufficient power for average driving. the sport pakg really makes the vehicle look agressive. I have to go get the trailer hitch on monday will post how it goes.

Chattguy- what are you planning on towing with your X3? How much weight will you be pulling? Is the dealer doing the hitch? How much?

I was going to get an X3 but the tow capacity is 3500 pounds, which is on the hairy edge for what I need.
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
Old 03-06-2004, 01:47 PM
After525

Old 03-06-2004, 03:35 PM
SPF 100 Protection

Mein Auto: truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattguy
Does it feel a lot less powerful than your 325cic?
Old 06-13-2004, 09:35 PM
After525

My testimony

I have been driving my new x3 2.5 automatic for about a month and here is my opinion on the power. I would give it a B because it is not terribly zippy but not slow either. I think that I would choose the 3.0 if I was to do it over again, but am happy with the 2.5. Also go for the leather.