Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 AM

Mein Auto: 528E
528e Stall on Start-Up

About two weeks ago I bought my first car. It is a '88 528e and had no problems until two days ago.
Sometimes when I try to start the car the engine catches and turns over but almost immediately stalls and dies. I started with the small things and just replaced all the fuses today. earlier I tried to start it and this problem happened twice in a row before I could get it started. Once it did start it was idling around average 650-800RPMs
but seemed a little rough. a little bit after I start driving the car seems fine.
It's not to much of a problem but I would prefer to get it fixed before it causes some other problem to pop up.

Also I am unfamiliar with BMW's and if you have a idea of what I should check I would appreciate telling me the process in detail.

Thanks to all that help me in fixing this problem

PS: it is a 4 speed automatic transmission.

Last edited by Jorge11; 04-11-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Advertisement