f10 m5 m5
6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Aronis 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I just felt a chill go down my spine!

#4 · (Edited)
the M brand is gutted and dying.... does anybody from BMW care?

Who's going to spend $90,000++ for the next M5? Executives, that's who, the types who are greying, balding, and generally scared to drive them anywhere near the limits of grip.

Where is the next inexpensive, light, fast, RELIABLE M-car to compete with the Cayman and Evora? Certainly not the 1M with the demonstrably unreliable N54. Certainly not the z4 "i-s-drive-blah-blah-blah" with the awful electric steering, heavy metal top and dubious handling. Certainly not the nearly-eighty-thousand-dollar "midrange" M3.

WHY is the M division wasting its time and resources TUNING SUVs for christs sake, while 'the ultimate driving machine' gets fat, slow and ugly? For Profit ?? Mercedes, Lotus and even Ford are eating your lunch, BMW. Wake the heck up and resume building light, fast, great handling cars, or lose the enthusiast market entirely. Porsche, Lotus and other marques do remember how to build SPORTSCARS, not overpriced, fragile, turbocharged sedans with seven computers and NO manual transmissions. WHERE is the actual MOTORSPORT these days BMW? Remember your heritage?

Will someone at BMW grab the wheel and keep the company out of the ditch of mediocrity-- please? Or are you just ceding the sportscar market wholsale to Porsche and Lotus in order to build profitable planetkiller SUVs for aging baby boomers? Are we forced to by from Schnitzer or Alpina to get a BMW that acutally drives the way an M-car ought?

#5 ·
What's with the paint color? Looks too matte for TiAg. I was thinking Frozen Silver, but in some angles it has a definite reflection, and I thought you couldn't wax Frozen Gray or Frozen Silver?

Whatever the color, I don't see many folks laying out $90 grand for matte paint and black wheels. Might work okay at the rap studio, but I don't see it playing well at the country club.

#6 ·
I'm one of those graying balding executives WITH THE CASH to buy an M5. That's who BMW is targeting, not the wannabees that want an M car for the price of a VW. Get used to the idea that money talks. I'll be first in line for a new M5. I already have more HP in the garage than I'll ever use but I still want more. We don't have to use all the HP to enjoy owning it.

#7 ·
So TexasJames, what do YOU think of the matte paint and black wheels? As a graying, balding executive, is that what you're looking for? I don't see that look playing well in New England, but maybe it's cutting edge elsewhere. (Not being sarcastic; I just don't "get" it and am wonering if I am in the minority).

#8 ·
I'm not a graying, balding exec. Well...at least not balding and executive, but I do have the cash for one and am already planning my M5 ED. I like the wheels but can pass on the paint. Then again, I am much more interested in the general looks of the car and am very impressed. Besides, I suspect we will have the option of multiple paint jobs and different wheels.

Still don't know about buying a fancy automatic though. That may be the difference for me between an M5 and a 550 tuned. If it's DCT only, I may have to wait until I can drive one before I make a decision. But for looks..*****, love it.

#9 ·
TexasJames,

Loved your post!!

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.