Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Seeing some DPM on the back of my car - UPDATE to the UPDATE

I drive an '11 AW d and I have noticed since I got it, that I get a light coating of diesel particulant matter on the rear bumper/quarter panels after even short trips. The build-up appears to accumulate over time and hence it becomes more noticable. After I wash my car followed by an 8 mi drive I will have a very light sediment on the rear bumper, that is black when I drag my finger across it. After it rains the back of my car has the black water stains and it looks terrible.

I've owned white cars before and I've never seen anything like this, so I am just assuming it is DPM. I am little surprised I guess, I thought the new clean diesels didn't have the issue of particulant accumulating on the rear bumper like diesels of yesteryear.
I have not read of anyone else reporting this as an issue, so I want to make sure it is not something else, but then again people may not notice it unless they have AW.

Last edited by cssnms; 04-11-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Interesting observation; there's been discussion in the past about the lack of soot in these cars, so your issue is noteworthy. Do you think it's at least possible that what you're seeing is just dirt and dust, versus soot? I've seen the same type of accumulation of gunk on the rear of some my non-diesel cars in the past. Do you see a lot of soot on and around the tailpipes?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
Interesting observation; there's been discussion in the past about the lack of soot in these cars, so your issue is noteworthy. Do you think it's at least possible that what you're seeing is just dirt and dust, versus soot? I've seen the same type of accumulation of gunk on the rear of some my non-diesel cars in the past. Do you see a lot of soot on and around the tailpipes?
I am very anal about keeping my cars clean so I might be more sensative and thus keen to notice it then most. I would be willing to bet my next paycheck it is DPM vs road grime. I do not see a lot of soot around the tailpipes or no more then what I would consider "normal." As mentioned previously, I've owned white cars before and never experienced this issue. The DPM I am seeing starts to accumulate almost immediately after I wash my car and doing some spirited driving. It is a very fine black powdery substance, that when I run my finger across it it leaves a very distinct line and black on my finger. If my car were any other color it would not be noticable to the eye at least until it accumulated to a point where it might be more visible or after it rains.

I would be very interested to hear from another AW d owner as to their experience/findings. Or maybe one of you guys that thinks your car is clean right now, go rub your finger across your rear bumper and tell me what color it is after doing so.

Last edited by cssnms; 04-11-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
As 62Lincoln wrote, most folks who have shared their observations here are surprised by how clean their tailpipes are, let alone the rest of the car. I wonder if you have a problem that hasn't been seen here yet. Can you post up a pic of the tailpipes?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
This has come up before and usually is someone who owns a white car. I could go out to the parking garage and run my hands all over the back of my car and they would not be black sooty yet going off your description they should because it has been weeks and hundreds of miles(maybe a thousand) since I washed this car. My hands would be covered in yellow pollen though. Then I could go home and do the same test on my truck or Mercedes and I'd end up with black hands from the soot. If it truly is soot then I'd wonder if something is out of wack because to see soot in 8 miles seems a little extreme, neither my truck or mercedes are that bad unless one has an issue. I too would like to see what your tailpipes look like, I'd imagine pretty sootey if you are seeing soot so soon on your bumper.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
As 62Lincoln wrote, most folks who have shared their observations here are surprised by how clean their tailpipes are, let alone the rest of the car. I wonder if you have a problem that hasn't been seen here yet. Can you post up a pic of the tailpipes?
I will get some pics up later along with the "black" substance on the car. The tailpipes are relatively clean.

It's at the dealer now for an SES light at 5k mi, so I left the SA a message about the issue, hopefully he will get it and check it out while at the shop.

Last edited by cssnms; 04-11-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: Diesel Sedan
Quote:
Hmm.. The bottom part of each of my tailpipes are quite dirty.

From about 5 to 7 o'clock. The rest of the pipes are clean, with no special cleaning done.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapes87 View Post
Hmm.. The bottom part of each of my tailpipes are quite dirty.

From about 5 to 7 o'clock. The rest of the pipes are clean, with no special cleaning done.
Can we see a picture? Are you talking quite dirty like what the primary tailpipe on a 335i looks like but just on the bottom side instead of the whole thing(like the 335i is)?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:10 AM

Dealer just called and it appears the early SES I got a few days ago and brought the car in for is related to this DPM issue. The SA stated that a diesel valve (?) was clogged so the tech took it apart and cleaned. Not sure what he is referring to, but he said there is a bulletin out about it. I specifically asked him if this issue had anything to do with the excessive particulant matter I have been seeing on the bumper/quarter panels and he said, "yes."

I am a little relieved to find out that the particulant accumulation is not common place on the d as it was the only complaint I really had about the car - it REALLY bothered since I like to keep my cars VERY clean. Glad it is being addressed.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 AM

I have not heard about this bulletin yet, anyone have more information on it?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I have not heard about this bulletin yet, anyone have more information on it?
I will try to get more info and or a copy of the bulletin from the dealer tonight when I pick up my car.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Can we see a picture? Are you talking quite dirty like what the primary tailpipe on a 335i looks like but just on the bottom side instead of the whole thing(like the 335i is)?
I will take a picture this evening of one of the tailpipes (they both look the same) and post it.

I haven't looked underneath, I'm talking about the "rim" of the pipe and the inside -- between 5 and 7.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Dealer just called and it appears the early SES I got a few days ago and brought the car in for is related to this DPM issue. The SA stated that a diesel valve (?) was clogged so the tech took it apart and cleaned. ...
EGR valve?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
EGR valve?
I just got another call from the dealer, so I made sure to ask him specifically about this "valve." He said that BMW calls it a "metering module." Said the tech cleaned and everythign is now operating as it shoudl be - I guess until it gets clogged again?!

Found a post on here from another d owner who sounds like he had the same issue. Not sure what code my car threw, will try to find out tonight.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-498927.html

Last edited by cssnms; 04-11-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Wait ! I believe it is normal to have those thin layer of black soot in the rear & its PIA to keep them clean if you have AW. Am I wrong?

p/s: Attached photos are showing rear view & close-up of the black shoot. BTW, I been bad & she hasn't been washed for 4 weeks. Please tell me it is normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear-04112011.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	274035   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear2-04112011.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	274036  
Old 04-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Human

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335d
Interesting. Early on I got the SES, and the tech said the same thing... my DEF metering valve had become clogged. But I never saw the slightest amount of soot on the car.

2011 BMW 335d, Space Grey/Black, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Convenience, Nav, Harman Kardon/Sat, iPod
2010 Audi A4 2.0 Quattro P+ 6MT (Wife's car)
2004 BMW R1150RA
Old 04-11-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
Wait ! I believe it is normal to have those thin layer of black soot in the rear & its PIA to keep them clean if you have AW. Am I wrong?

p/s: Attached photos are showing rear view & close-up of the black shoot. BTW, I been bad & she hasn't been washed for 4 weeks. Please tell me it is normal.
The soot on my tailpipes is similar to the picture posted above.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Human

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335d
I've never seen ANY soot on my car. Just a slight amount in the bottom insides of the tailpipes as Grapes87 said above.

2011 BMW 335d, Space Grey/Black, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Convenience, Nav, Harman Kardon/Sat, iPod
2010 Audi A4 2.0 Quattro P+ 6MT (Wife's car)
2004 BMW R1150RA
Old 04-11-2011, 01:53 PM

Those tailpipes on the bottom look pretty black and solid black. Mine are not like that, I will see if I can snap a pic.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:53 PM

Chris,

Will you post a screen shot of of your campaign job? When my diesel was in for the 1st schedule maintenance, the shop kept it for an additional day due to 1 TSB item from BMW. Below is the campaign that was performed. Since mine is a 2011 MY, I will think that we both shall be subjected to the same BMW TSB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	campaigns-mar2011.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	274040  
Old 04-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm35 View Post
I've never seen ANY soot on my car. Just a slight amount in the bottom insides of the tailpipes as Grapes87 said above.
I had a space gray loaner during my 1st schedule maintenance, it does an excellent job of blending in those soot. Well, it is AW which really enhance the black soot. Just my 2 cents & I haven't washed her for 4 weeks .
Old 04-11-2011, 02:07 PM

Here is mine, been roughly 2200 miles since I last washed the car.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:15 PM

Below are the close-up photos of driver side tailpipe & passenger side tailpipe. I might have to use some of that white powder stuff to clean it again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20110411-driver.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	274048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110411-pass.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	274049  
Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post

Hey that looks familiar! Apparently whatever the dealer did today should correct the issue. There is a service bulletin out about it.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Here is mine, been roughly 2200 miles since I last washed the car.
Despite the soot on my bumper, my pipes don't look nearly that crusty!