Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 04-09-2010, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Ignition?

I have just recently aquired a 1971 1600-2 and before I do any structual work to the vehicle I need to know if I can make the motor run. There is keys for the car but the ignition key will still not turn. I have put a new starter onto the car as the old one was not working. I figured that I would be able to just jump the starter and the car should turn over without have to use the ignition. When I do this the starter just spins and does not catch on the flywheel. I have checked the flywheel to make sure that it is ok. So the only thing that I can think of is that the starter is spinning backwards. I was wondering if by not having the ignition power to the starter will this make the starter spin the wrong direction? I hope Im not asking too much here and hope that you know what I am trying to say. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 04-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Baur e30, E34 5 spd,318ti
The starter needs power in 2 places. At the main terminal and on the starter solenoid ( a metal tab or eye screw deal ) it also needs power to engage the starter. Also of you run a wire up to the positive side of the coil the car should have power and be able to start.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Well the problem that I am having is that the starter isnt kicking out onto the flywheel. I can short out the starter to get it to spin but it is either spinning backwards or just not kicking out. The starter is a new remanuf. one so it should work properly unless I have a defective starter.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Baur e30, E34 5 spd,318ti
I thought the 4 cyl BMW engines all spin the same way. I know the 2002 and 320 use almost the same engine. But on the 320s the distributors spin the opposite way. I thought this was Due to the cam gear that the Distributor runs off of.

So you may want to verify if a 320 and 2002 starter spins the same way? id check the 2002FAQ site for an answer.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 87 325is
if you reverse polarity on a starter it would turn backwards, try changing polarity of wires to starter to see if it will run the other way but a bad solinoid will make it not ingage as well.