Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 02-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 94' 525i
Muffler Delete Soon

Planning on doing a muffler delete, from the res back for about $80. The tips are old, I want to replace them.
What size should I buy, and which brands are the best for less than $50? How large of a difference would the tips make?

Going for this.
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Resident e34 Racer

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
The tips are decor bro, mufflers alter sound..

And if its an auto, it will drone. So don't be to loud..
Bone stock 95' 540i/6 Blk/blk w/ ram style C.A.I / JBR LWFW/ DUDMD tune/ straight pipe /545 SSK /3.15 LSD / Rev-shift motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs/Eibach sway bars/ VAC under drive pulleys/weight reduction /sparco 368, Recaro seats, sparco harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T E/T streets.

"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013
Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imae34driver View Post

What do you mean by drone? Also, what size piping/tip should I get?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Resident e34 Racer

Drone is when your cruising along at part throttle, (All The Time Fyi) and its just goes "BBBBWWWAAAAAA" Annoyingly and constantly...

No rez,2.5- 3" pipe, small flow threw muffler.. Will sound nice..

You have an m50 it will sing.. My m50 had a prototype magna flow..
Bone stock 95' 540i/6 Blk/blk w/ ram style C.A.I / JBR LWFW/ DUDMD tune/ straight pipe /545 SSK /3.15 LSD / Rev-shift motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs/Eibach sway bars/ VAC under drive pulleys/weight reduction /sparco 368, Recaro seats, sparco harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T E/T streets.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:

Just curious why you think it will drone if it is an automatic

Would not a manal transmission drone also? Exhaust is exhaust independent of the transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-11-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Drone is when your cruising along at part throttle, (All The Time Fyi) and its just goes "BBBBWWWAAAAAA" Annoyingly and constantly...

No rez,2.5- 3" pipe, small flow threw muffler.. Will sound nice..

You have an m50 it will sing.. My m50 had a prototype magna flow..
No res? Now that's just asking for even more noise.. on top of more pollution. :thumbdown: I'm doing straight from the res back and maybe a new tip.
Throwing these phrases to me.. it will sing? Is this a good thing.. ?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 PM

Also... did you watch the video? He had done stock cat and res and his sounds real good.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Resident e34 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Just curious why you think it will drone if it is an automatic

Would not a manal transmission drone also? Exhaust is exhaust independent of the transmission.
LOL

That is true but Exhaust tone is noise produced by the motor...

The motor when attached via a clutch follows the rpm directly, and is quiet at a cruise, hums at part throttle, and pops n' crackles on deceleration..

When attached to a torque converter it sits in the stomach of the motor vocal rang as its not a direct link (fluid coupler) and gives a constant belch!

No crackle on deceleration unless you shift it, and auto shift's sound gay.

We watch people drive by and when they are really loud we listen and can tell MT or disappointment. Anything over a gentle rumble at low rpm's is not a good look for auto's

Its a well known thing.. Some high end manufacturers like mercedes use tuned exhausts and trans shift strategies to help it not do it. But a typical auto car made to loud will sound like that..

You never heard then seen a stock auto honda with a huge muffler?
BBBWWWWAAAAA, BBBWWWWAAAAA,BBBWWWWAAAAA... Threw the crosswalk! BBBWWWWAAAAA, BBBWWWWAAAAA,BBBWWWWAAAAA... Threw the intersection now!

Sooo gay!

Last edited by imae34driver; 02-11-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Resident e34 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasW View Post
No res? Now that's just asking for even more noise.. on top of more pollution. :thumbdown: I'm doing straight from the res back and maybe a new tip.
Throwing these phrases to me.. it will sing? Is this a good thing.. ?
LOL..

First off, mufflers are sound ONLY! Catalyst control emissions!

Secondly,

"It will sing" like its sound will become like music to your ears... Duh..

I asked if it was auto, i don't recommend a rez delete if it is.. It will keep it to a humble roar until you dig into the peddle a bit. So should help your cruising tone.

Finally,
I AM NOT BASHING AUTO's JUST SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND.

Last edited by imae34driver; 02-11-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
LOL..

First off, mufflers are sound ONLY! Catalyst control emissions!

Secondly,

"It will sing" like its sound will become like music to your ears... Duh..

I asked if it was auto, i don't recommend a rez delete if it is.. It will keep it to a humble roar until you dig into the peddle a bit. So should help your cruising tone.

Finally,
I AM NOT BASHING AUTO's JUST SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND.
Oh... sorry for grinding your gears man. So, yeah. It's an auto. Muffler delete. 3 ish inch tip width.
Think that'll sound like the guys E34 in the video?

Old 02-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Resident e34 Racer

Quote:
Oh... sorry for grinding your gears man. So, yeah. It's an auto. Muffler delete. 3 ish inch tip width.
Think that'll sound like the guys E34 in the video?

I see no video...

Be warned an auto sounds as good as a MT in Nuetral.. So don't base it on that unless its moving along..

Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I see no video...

Be warned an auto sounds as good as a MT in Nuetral.. So don't base it on that unless its moving along..

Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
LOL

That is true but Exhaust tone is noise produced by the motor...

The motor when attached via a clutch follows the rpm directly, and is quiet at a cruise, hums at part throttle, and pops n' crackles on deceleration..

When attached to a torque converter it sits in the stomach of the motor vocal rang as its not a direct link (fluid coupler) and gives a constant belch!

No crackle on deceleration unless you shift it, and auto shift's sound gay.

We watch people drive by and when they are really loud we listen and can tell MT or disappointment. Anything over a gentle rumble at low rpm's is not a good look for auto's

Its a well known thing.. Some high end manufacturers like mercedes use tuned exhausts and trans shift strategies to help it not do it. But a typical auto car made to loud will sound like that..

You never heard then seen a stock auto honda with a huge muffler?
BBBWWWWAAAAA, BBBWWWWAAAAA,BBBWWWWAAAAA... Threw the crosswalk! BBBWWWWAAAAA, BBBWWWWAAAAA,BBBWWWWAAAAA... Threw the intersection now!

Sooo gay!
I will agree that the exhaust note is different between the two when shifting (up or down). However, I disagree that the exhaust note is different based on how the driveshaft is connected to the crankshaft. As you stated the exhaust note is derived from the engine, i.e. the combustion in the cylinders and the exhaust of the gases from the engine. If for example, you have two identical E34s (exept for the transmission), they will sound the same when crusing at, say, 65 mph. Or 80 mph. Or even accelerating, until the shift point. Then I agree that they sound different.

Just my 0.2

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Resident e34 Racer

Quote:
I will agree that the exhaust note is different between the two when shifting (up or down). However, I disagree that the exhaust note is different based on how the driveshaft is connected to the crankshaft. As you stated the exhaust note is derived from the engine, i.e. the combustion in the cylinders and the exhaust of the gases from the engine. If for example, you have two identical E34s (exept for the transmission), they will sound the same when crusing at, say, 65 mph. Or 80 mph. Or even accelerating, until the shift point. Then I agree that they sound different.

Just my 0.2
In an auto the car upshifts for you, keeping the rpms bouncing up/down from 1500-2500rpm as you go a long.. Bwaaw bwaaw bwaw... As the torque converter spins up..

Vs staying in the gear and riding the scale rpm sound scale up into the musical range 3-6000rpm.

As you get older you will learn to hear the difference.
My friends Lexus is300 was particularly terrible...! It never will shut up

Last edited by imae34driver; 02-11-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:19 PM

Did the video link show up? If not, please YouTube E34 Muffler Delete and it's by Thomas Huerta.

Last edited by LukasW; 02-11-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Resident e34 Racer

Quote:
Did the video link show up? If not, please YouTube E34 Muffler Delete and it's by Thomas Huerta.

Yes, and you can have that sound..

The car was in Neutral tho, so no way to check for drone..

My 95 e38 droned a bit with the same motor & muffler i have now, currently i use the same motor no drone cause my e34 is a 6 speed MT

Old 02-11-2014, 09:48 PM

Alright thanks for the help. I may upload a video when everything is finally out and done.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:38 AM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
In an auto the car upshifts for you, keeping the rpms bouncing up/down from 1500-2500rpm as you go a long.. Bwaaw bwaaw bwaw... As the torque converter spins up..

Vs staying in the gear and riding the scale rpm sound scale up into the musical range 3-6000rpm.

As you get older you will learn to hear the difference.
My friends Lexus is300 was particularly terrible...! It never will shut up
Well, I'm 54 and have been driving for way longer than you've been alive and have drivng auto and manual trans cars. As I said earlier, I agree that the exhaust note is different when shifting occurs. Otherwise, the exhaust note is the same and is dependent on the rpm of the engine.

Not going to argue with you. We can just agree to disagree. Don't want to poison the OP any further

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Last edited by BMR_LVR; 02-12-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 AM
Der Sturm Uberdoktor

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
Quote:
Planning on doing a muffler delete, from the res back for about $80. The tips are old, I want to replace them.
What size should I buy, and which brands are the best for less than $50? How large of a difference would the tips make?

Going for this.
Crazy,

I had really loud cars when I was younger, but now I dig the quiet ones. We accidentally left my E34 idling for 2 days while we were working on the body because you cannot hear it running if you are more than 3 feet from it...
Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 AM
Der Sturm Uberdoktor

Quote:

Going for this.
Why not see about retrofitting one of these later BMW mufflers with the valve in them????
Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Resident e34 Racer

Quote:
Well, I'm 54 and have been driving for way longer than you've been alive and have drivng auto and manual trans cars. As I said earlier, I agree that the exhaust note is different when shifting occurs. Otherwise, the exhaust note is the same and is dependent on the rpm of the engine.

Not going to argue with you. We can just agree to disagree. Don't want to poison the OP any further
^ must be def...?

Don't take my word for it, only EVERY forum has a descussion on this topic! This is not an opinion this is a fact..

At certain resonate frequencies a cars exhuast can vibrate such as to cuase a deep base like sound in the car while cruising, FAR more prevalent in autos.

Its just a FACT, look it up..

Yours may not, but thats the risk.

In a MT car you choose the RPM, in an auto the rpm's hangs around the same range (the drone zone)until you cuase a down shift.. Then sounds equal till the shift, let off and back to a drone.

My uncles flow master Tahoe is a great example.. Most big truck with mufflers do it.

Last edited by imae34driver; 02-12-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Resident e34 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Bert View Post
Why not see about retrofitting one of these later BMW mufflers with the valve in them????
lol, stock mufflers even those are way to heavy, and dont offer enough sound. My buddy had that on his e46 330i says the first thing people do it cork the valve with a golf T so its open all the time.. But its still way to quiet.. Nearly the same..

Last edited by imae34driver; 02-12-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Der Sturm Uberdoktor

Quote:
lol, stock mufflers even those are way to heavy, and dont offer enough sound. My buddy had that on his e46 330i says the first thing people do it cork the valve with a golf T so its open all the time.. But its still way to quiet.. Nearly the same..
Lot's of modern aftermarket exhaust systems, except in very high exhaust volume applications, such as high horsepower turbocharged applications, is 100% marketing hype.

We put an SLP Loudmouth Catted X-Pipe and full mandrel bent system on a new Mustang 5.0 Coyote for Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine in 2012 and it LOST horsepower and torque over the factory system on the Dynojet.

They didn't publish that test despite a volume of photos taken...
Old 02-12-2014, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 530i
Go to Youtube, search E34 muffler delete, for multiple examples of sounds for our cars. I agree with earlier post, do the rear muffler delete and tips, no need to drop the resonator. The rear muffler delete will get you the purr you want, tips are just cosmetic to whatever your taste. Leave resonator on, just my 2 cents. Plus, it makes it easy to reverse, later.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs356 View Post
Go to Youtube, search E34 muffler delete, for multiple examples of sounds for our cars. I agree with earlier post, do the rear muffler delete and tips, no need to drop the resonator. The rear muffler delete will get you the purr you want, tips are just cosmetic to whatever your taste. Leave resonator on, just my 2 cents. Plus, it makes it easy to reverse, later.
Thanks. Hopefully doing so soon. How about this tip?

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil...26v4?id=744994

Is the 2.25 piping going to be a weird size? Also... if you guys know of any rectangular dual tips let me know, I want some. Otherwise I'm probably just going with these.

Last edited by LukasW; 02-12-2014 at 06:03 PM.