Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 01-05-2015, 01:02 AM
Got Beemer?

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 535I
M30 idle

Hey all,

So I just finished my rebuild on the motor today and am still having the idle issues I was having before. I ordered another coolant temp sensor to replace the last 1 I have not replaced. So here is wat is going on. The car will fire right up and the idle is not hunting but the car is shakey and the car sounds like it is missing a bit and wen i hit the gas it feels like it wants to die but, when I get about 1500-2k it is smooth sailing and will drive perfect. I am going to try and shoot a video so that it is more help as explaining it is hard without visual reference. For further help. AFM, ICV, injectors and FPR have been replaced as well. Filter o2 sensor yet to be done. Fuel pressure is steady and to spec. No stomp codes stored. Only 3 vacuum lines I have not replaced but will get to it. Intake gaskets have been done as well since I ultrasounded my manny. Also waiting for all new intake boots from ebay.

Also this is a little off the original post but I want to get a stand alone shift indicator gauge. Not like when to shift as mine is auto but what gear I am in. Yes I know my cluster does it but I want to add on as I am going to be doing a mod to my cluster. Anyone know of one that is a good universal one? I have seen ones on ebay but they say its for a motorcycle. Will those work? Thanks in advance.

Alpina

ANN- 1990 535I- hr springs/bav chipped/dinan tcm chip/m5 e39 rims/m5 sway bar/billet guibo and motor mounts/LSD rear end/M-Tech steering wheel/Blisten touring shocks/Racing dynamics tower brace.
"It's not a car unless its a BMW."

Last edited by Alpina535I; 01-05-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Drive her like an ///M

Send a message via Skype™ to Dionte
Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 535i (manual)
Check engine light coming on randomly? Smelling like fuel? Miles?

Might want to look into those vacumm lines. There are only like 3.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Got Beemer?

Smells rich i am adding a fuel air gauge so i know where i stand. Has new bosch 3rd gen injectors.

Alpina

ANN- 1990 535I- hr springs/bav chipped/dinan tcm chip/m5 e39 rims/m5 sway bar/billet guibo and motor mounts/LSD rear end/M-Tech steering wheel/Blisten touring shocks/Racing dynamics tower brace.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 535i
hey I had a similar problem check your tps mine was off by a little once fixed car was fine
Old 01-07-2015, 08:29 PM
Got Beemer?

I have been looking on how to adjust it. Anyone have a link or know the steps to adjusting it? I heard somthing about adjusting till you hear a click.

Alpina

Old 01-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Drive her like an ///M

Send a message via Skype™ to Dionte
Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 535i (manual)
Not sure, seems interesting though.

I feel mine barely and very slightly runs rich. I don't notice it like that though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BimmerApp mobile app

Old 01-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Got Beemer?

Ill update once i find out how to adjust it might fix yours as well.

Alpina

Old 01-08-2015, 12:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2 x 1988 bmw 525i's
Think its in the bentley, put it on & slowly turn it till you hear the click then lock it down, ifound if you just put it on then lock it your fuel consumption gauge won't go to zero when you let your foot off the accelerator sits about half inch from it. Read how to do it cause I new it wasn't right after I took it off ages ago, then I made sure the click could be heard when you manually opem & close the throttle body. This is for the m20 ill just add.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:50 AM
Got Beemer?

According to my bent. manual it says to check pins 4/6 for continuity at idle and adjust till set and 4/5 at open and adjust. I am way confused.. LOL....... Paul can you explain your click response a little further for me please. As far as what you mean by put in slowly and hear a click and lock down like rotate clockwise counter? thanks a ton.

Alpina

Old 01-08-2015, 02:11 AM

Sure, Alpina. This is a 3 pin tps for non electronic transmissions the 6 pin one works the same I have both.
Pic 1. There is a flat spot on the shaft the tps can only go on one way.
Pic 2. When you slide the tps on you have a small & a large gap either side of the threaded hole. Put your screws in.
Pic 3. Turn the tps to the shorter distance (if you move it left & right youll hear the click). You'll see theres no gap between the slotted hole in the tps & the washer.
Pic 4. Slowly turn the tps the opposite way till you hear the click then lock one screw down & it should click again because it has squared itself to the throttle body, now lock the other screw down. Open the throttle body manually & it should click instantly provided the throttle body tension spring is good. You'll see there is a slight gap between the slotted hole & the washer.
You should be able to here your tps click now, as in before you do this, but is it set all the way to the no gap example or the gapped example?
Sorry it took so long I just wanted to double check my information with my spare & take some picks. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150108_172912.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	485654   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150108_173707.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	485655   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150108_171938.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	485656   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150108_172443.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	485657  
Old 01-08-2015, 02:16 AM
Got Beemer?

Very helpful thanks paul. I will adjust tomorrow and report back based on your steps. Sounds like its off as i nvr hear clicks.

Alpina

Old 01-08-2015, 02:26 AM

No problem Alpina, if your tps isn't clicking then it maybe faulty or its adjusted past the click.
Also you wont here it click with the engine running.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:57 AM
Got Beemer?

No clicking when off.

Alpina

Old 01-08-2015, 03:13 AM

Definatly something going on there, its basically like a light switch. They also get full of oil as well, the m20 tps does anyway being directly under the throttle body. Oil catch can time.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:58 AM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Mein Auto: What they Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1733 View Post
Sure, Alpina. This is a 3 pin tps for non electronic transmissions the 6 pin one works the same I have both.
Pic 1. There is a flat spot on the shaft the tps can only go on one way.
Pic 2. When you slide the tps on you have a small & a large gap either side of the threaded hole. Put your screws in.
Pic 3. Turn the tps to the shorter distance (if you move it left & right youll hear the click). You'll see theres no gap between the slotted hole in the tps & the washer.
Pic 4. Slowly turn the tps the opposite way till you hear the click then lock one screw down & it should click again because it has squared itself to the throttle body, now lock the other screw down. Open the throttle body manually & it should click instantly provided the throttle body tension spring is good. You'll see there is a slight gap between the slotted hole & the washer.
You should be able to here your tps click now, as in before you do this, but is it set all the way to the no gap example or the gapped example?
Sorry it took so long I just wanted to double check my information with my spare & take some picks. Hope it helps.
+1 Absolutely spot on. Just as a note.
Make the throttle door should be fully closed while you do this. Give your throttle cables a bit of slack to make sure the TB plate is fully closed.
Once you have the TPS adjusted take up the slack on the cables, but not too much whereas the TB plate begins to open.
If that still doesn't get it check the screw in the hinge at the rest position. Then again if you never messed with the screw then I'd doubt its the culprit.

Every once in a while the Lion has to show the Jackals who he is...
- Christopher Walken "The Lion Speech"
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap... The new Garden State Grocery Getter projekt.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySatinDoll View Post
+1 Absolutely spot on. Just as a note.
Make the throttle door should be fully closed while you do this. Give your throttle cables a bit of slack to make sure the TB plate is fully closed.
Once you have the TPS adjusted take up the slack on the cables, but not too much whereas the TB plate begins to open.
If that still doesn't get it check the screw in the hinge at the rest position. Then again if you never messed with the screw then I'd doubt its the culprit.
Thanks for adding MSD, based my info on the m20 so if you want to adjust the tps on a m20 the throttle body, unfortunately, it has to come off.
If the information isn't in this forum & if someone wants to rewrite then add it to a sticky be my guest, not many people will find it in a thread that isn't specifically about a tps.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Got Beemer?

Ok paul so here is wat i found my click happens right as pressure is applied to the throttle like barley any pressure is this where its supposed to be?

Alpina

Old 01-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Got Beemer?

Another update. Checking continuity per bent. manual on pins 4/6 for idle and 4/5 for WOT and there is none on either. Does this pretty much sum up my problem with idle? Looks like a new on is in order? Should I try to adjust it or just get a new one?

Alpina

Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Mein Auto: What they Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina535I View Post
Ok paul so here is wat i found my click happens right as pressure is applied to the throttle like barley any pressure is this where its supposed to be?

Alpina
So you got it to click when opening the plate. That's good. Now set the TPS to where it clicks.
Once you do that open the plate and see if it clicks when closing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina535I View Post
Another update. Checking continuity per bent. manual on pins 4/6 for idle and 4/5 for WOT and there is none on either. Does this pretty much sum up my problem with idle? Looks like a new on is in order? Should I try to adjust it or just get a new one?

Alpina
Are you checking resistance or voltage? Also which are you checking the TPS or the harness?
Lastly because I didn't see and/or forgot which you have. DO you have a 6 pin (round connector) TPS or a 3 pin TPS?

Every once in a while the Lion has to show the Jackals who he is...
- Christopher Walken "The Lion Speech"
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap... The new Garden State Grocery Getter projekt.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 PM
Got Beemer?

6 pin. Voltage at harness. On the sensor there is continuity pn both if i full turn the tps clockwise tward driverside. Clicks with light pressure but no click at wot or when closing.

Alpina

Old 01-13-2015, 10:58 PM
Got Beemer?

SATIN- When you mean "Now set the tps to were it clicks." Is that right as you press on the throttle or at a certain point after pressing it? Only clicking I get is when I have it fully turned clock wise tward drivers side of engine and that is clicking that is happening when barely any touching is happening. Dont even think that the throttle plate is opening at all. I WANT to say thank you to both PAUL and YOU for walking me through this. I know my questions are many but I think this is the root of my bad idle.

Alpina

Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 AM

Hey Alpina, was at work. MSD is right it should click when just opening & closing. It also clicks at full throttle. If it isn't clicking when it closes then the ecu isn't letting the ICV take over so it's relying on whatever air it can get which would account for you idle. As for resistance, I've never checked mine. I would do what MSD said, make slight adjustments till it clicks both ways, or better yet loosen both screws of the tps & shift it left & right & see if you can make it click both ways by hand(not including full throttle). If you can't pull it off & see if there is oil in it, if it has spray some electrical cleaner in it & tip it upside down for a bit then try again.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:01 AM
Got Beemer?

Quote:
Hey Alpina, was at work. MSD is right it should click when just opening & closing. It also clicks at full throttle. If it isn't clicking when it closes then the ecu isn't letting the ICV take over so it's relying on whatever air it can get which would account for you idle. As for resistance, I've never checked mine. I would do what MSD said, make slight adjustments till it clicks both ways, or better yet loosen both screws of the tps & shift it left & right & see if you can make it click both ways by hand(not including full throttle). If you can't pull it off & see if there is oil in it, if it has spray some electrical cleaner in it & tip it upside down for a bit then try again.
If after all the adjusting and it still does not click both ways does that mean the unit is faulty? I feel the click is happening to quick like I barley touch the throttle plate and it clicks like not even enough to open up the plate a 1/16th of an inch.

Alpina

Old 01-14-2015, 01:28 AM

Just checked my spare & thats right the click should be heard as soon as you move the throttle plate which gives at a 1/16" gap. It should also click at the same distance on the way back.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:43 AM
Got Beemer?

Quote:
Just checked my spare & thats right the click should be heard as soon as you move the throttle plate which gives at a 1/16" gap. It should also click at the same distance on the way back.
Ok so then ill adjust to see if I can get it to click both ways. If I cant then a new unit is in order? If I under stook that correctly.

Alpina