Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-23-2004, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 X5 4.4I
Unhappy ASC, ABS Indicator Light Stays on.

My ASC and ABS light came and stayed on yesterday, what causes this and what shall I do?

Also when Idling on cold mornings, sometimes it stalls out ?

I am reluctant to run to the dealer, even though still under warranty.

Anybody has any Ideas ? Please help!
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650i
ABS/ASC: I had the same problem, and I solved it by replacing the ABS pulse generators. They cost about $50-$60 each and are very easy to replace yourself.

Stalling: There are many potential issues here, but if your check engine light is on you can get the code read at an Autozone for free and theat will help you pinpoint the problem. Could be your Cam Position Sensor, MAF, or ICV, to name just a few...
Old 03-03-2004, 09:01 PM
On The Road To Find Out

Mein Auto: '05 X5 4.8is, '03 540iA
I had and have the same problem twice now with the ASC/ABS lights. The dealer replaced what they called a yaw sensor, located somewhere under one of the seats.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:32 PM
MaxDH

Mein Auto: 540i6
Under hard acceleration, my ASC light comes on and stays on until I restart the car. The dealer troubleshot it down to the clutch slipping.
JB
Old 01-08-2006, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i '97 Luxury/Sport
My ASC and ABS light came and stayed on ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yema0003
My ASC and ABS light came and stayed on yesterday, what causes this and what shall I do?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABS/ASC FAULTS
MODELS AFFECTED: All equipped with ASC.
FAULTS: The wire harness can get damaged. ABS, ASC/DSC ECM faults show:
- 66 wheel sensor signal supply voltage
- 67 intermittent interference
- 5,6,7 wheel speed (plausibility)
- 30 left rear wheel sensor

In my case, the ASC/ABS sensor is located on the left front side of the wheel, behind the disc. Just follow the wiring that leads to the sensor behind the disc (there are only 2 wires located behind the wheel - break wear sensor, asc/abs tilt(NAG) sensor). Remove the tire, remove the two screws holding the sensor (very easy to remove), replace.

CAUSE: The sharp edges on the tilt sensor(NAG) bracket damage the wire. The leak diagnosis pump(LDP) and the wire harness from the left rear wheel sensor is routed through the slot in the tilt sensor(NAG) bracket.
SOLUTION: Remove the tilt(NAG) sensor, located behind the wheel arch in the left side of the trunk. Tape the sharp edges of the tilt sensor bracket with electrical tape to prevent further damage to the wire harness.
Repair the wire harness and reinstall the tilt sensor. Using the DIS tester clear the fault codes.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i '97 Luxury/Sport
My ASC and ABS light came and stayed on ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yema0003

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABS/ASC FAULTS

In my case, the ASC/ABS sensor is located on the left front side of the wheel, behind the disc. Just follow the wiring that leads to the sensor behind the disc (there are only 2 wires located behind the wheel - break wear sensor, asc/abs tilt(NAG) sensor). Remove the tire, remove the two screws holding the sensor (very easy to remove), replace.

CAUSE: The sharp edges on the tilt sensor(NAG) bracket damage the wire. The leak diagnosis pump(LDP) and the wire harness from the left rear wheel sensor is routed through the slot in the tilt sensor(NAG) bracket.
SOLUTION: Remove the tilt(NAG) sensor, located behind the wheel arch in the left side of the trunk. Tape the sharp edges of the tilt sensor bracket with electrical tape to prevent further damage to the wire harness.
Repair the wire harness and reinstall the tilt sensor. Using the DIS tester clear the fault codes.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: car
Left Rear Speed Sensor

Symptom is the "traction control" ASC idiot dashboard light and no spedometer. Replacing the left rear speed sensor is NOT EASY. Anyone saying it is easy, has not done it himself. If anyone has and can tell me how to access and unplug the old blue plug, please do.

p.s. - I don't need any stupid pictures of your cute little car with fancy wheels. I just need real advice on how to replace this thing on this piece of German engineering nightmare crap.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 528
Run

Run to the dealer as fast as you can. Mine stalled when cold and was under warrenty. I drove them nuts. They could not get an error to show. The warrenty ran out. The weather dipped below 35 again and the car wont idle and stalls. They said oops now its off the warrenty. They replaced the idle control valve and pulley, thermostat. It still stalls.

I went back 3 times this week. Now my warrenty company Great Lakes is screaming fraud.

I have to take the car back in on Tues so the Warrenty rep and BMW can hash it out.

They now told me it is the vanoc switch....spelling.

When the oil is cold there is some kind of a valve that wont trigger on the top of the engine or something. 4 hour job and $800.00 part.

DEMAND THEY REPLACE IT. I found out it will never show and error.

I also had the ABS antitraction control triangle light on and off. Same run around. Now they said a sensor is bad on the front wheel and fixed it.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i Sedan
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmerbimmer View Post
Symptom is the "traction control" ASC idiot dashboard light and no spedometer. Replacing the left rear speed sensor is NOT EASY. Anyone saying it is easy, has not done it himself. If anyone has and can tell me how to access and unplug the old blue plug, please do.

p.s. - I don't need any stupid pictures of your cute little car with fancy wheels. I just need real advice on how to replace this thing on this piece of German engineering nightmare crap.
It is as simple as:

1. Take Wheel off car
2. Open the plastic box that is about 3" x 2" wide.
3. Take out the "plug" unit and unplug (you have to twist and pull)
4. Unscrew the 2 screws attaching the speed sensor to the wheel housing.
5. Remove old sensor
6. Install new sensor by plugging it in and attaching 2 screws.
7. Replace "plug" into plastic junction box and replace wheel.
8. Have codes cleared

Jeremy
Old 09-29-2006, 01:18 PM
go^bmw

Mein Auto: 14 F10 M5 Competition Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEREMYZ View Post
It is as simple as:

1. Take Wheel off car
2. Open the plastic box that is about 3" x 2" wide.
3. Take out the "plug" unit and unplug (you have to twist and pull)
4. Unscrew the 2 screws attaching the speed sensor to the wheel housing.
5. Remove old sensor
6. Install new sensor by plugging it in and attaching 2 screws.
7. Replace "plug" into plastic junction box and replace wheel.
8. Have codes cleared

Jeremy
I am 99 percent sure that it is the ABS control unit - BMW diagnostic wrongly identifies the left rear ABS censor - I have replaced it myself and I have to agree that it is not that hard to replace, but that did not solve the problem. ABS control unit cost about $650 and it has been a common problem on e39s.

/a
Old 09-26-2008, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
Question I removed my ABS module and sent it to BBA Reman (01' 525). Initially my DSC light was on once I removed the unit my ABS and Service Engine Light. I understand the ABS/DSC light on but is the service engine soon light also common with this?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i (01/2000 mfg.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelerz View Post
Question I removed my ABS module and sent it to BBA Reman (01' 525). Initially my DSC light was on once I removed the unit my ABS and Service Engine Light. I understand the ABS/DSC light on but is the service engine soon light also common with this?
I got the SES light when I took out my module. 528i 01/2000. It should go away when you put the module back in. Mine didn't go away immediately; It waited until after my test drive to Taco Bell.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Electric Red 528i
Quote:
My SES light came on as well, probably would have reset itself like PJB said but I chose to clear the code when I installed the reman. ABS module.

Also, my navigation was confused, stuck in one position (probably the closest receiver) I believe due to the speed sensors not functioning. And, my door locks didn't auto lock at 10mph or whatever it is. All fixed & back to normal when the module went back in.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:21 PM

Great.... thats what i thought. My code reader(reset tool) and reman unit should be in early next week. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the info!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:19 PM

Well I got my abs unit back from bba reman and installed it AND all the lights went out except the DSC LIGHT!??!?!??!??! ARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!! I guess I'll have to chech the sensors tomorrow and give it a shot trying to clean them and see if that works.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Well I got my abs unit back from bba reman and installed it AND all the lights went out except the DSC LIGHT!??!?!??!??! ARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!! I guess I'll have to chech the sensors tomorrow and give it a shot trying to clean them and see if that works.
Ive heard of this happening, you might have to send it back to them again if they cant fix it they will send you a refund (not for shipping though)
Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: x5 & 528i
asc, dsc, abs indictor light on

To all bmw drivers with ASC & ABS light on

my lights were on too and went to get them check out at the dealer. they charged $120 and told me that the ABS wheel/speed sensor on both front sides were out and as well as the "steering wheel angle sensor".

so i just went ahead and replaced the two "abs speed wheel sensor's" on my x5. after replacing the sensor's just disconnect the +battery wire and drove it for about 60 miles and light RESETTED itself.
please NOTE: there is no need to take it back to the dealer for them reset the light. so . this is the cheapest way and the easyest.

also get them sensor's from "ebay" there only about $37-$50 for each one.
at the dealer for one "abs sensor" is $147.

good luck this has work out for me & hope that'll do the same for ya
-w
Old 02-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Non-OEM sensors are of dubious quality and eBay tends to have a lot of non-OEM.
If you repair the problem (which only occasionally is the sensors) the lights will turn off.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 02-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: x5 & 528i
Thumbs up oem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
Non-OEM sensors are of dubious quality and eBay tends to have a lot of non-OEM.
If you repair the problem (which only occasionally is the sensors) the lights will turn off.

i am the owner of five dirfferent type of bmw's and have been working on them for over 25 years. i have been using oem and none ome parts & sensor and for your information and the oftermarket have done the job for all mine and my customer's bmw.

-w
Old 02-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I can't really tell what's a troll and what is serious so I'll just reference you to this thread (although for those of you under warranty, to not go to the dealer is dumbfounding to me).
Old 11-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 323 sei
Thumbs up E46 ABS Light ASC Light on speedo intermitantly not working

E46 2000 323sei ABS Light ASC Light on speedo intermitantly not working.
Traced it to near side rear wheel sensor,tried to remove it to clean it,made matters worse when sensor broke into two pieces.now both lights on dashboard ASC and ABS (no longer intermittent)and Fuel consumption and speedo gauge and mileometer not working.Replaced rear sensor by removing one off allan key bolt and partially drilling and chiselling out old plastic one Put new one in all working ok now.well done e-bay.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i Touring
Smile Traction Control

The traction control came on and went out sporadically this fall. It then stayed off for about a month and now that the snow is here it has been on solid for about 2 weeks and the Traction Control stopped working. The ABS is working fine thankfully. It is going into the tech this week. He seems to think it is wheel speed sensors, but I guess the codes will tell the tale.

I guess a little advice from you guys - I have had this car for 125,000 of it 177,000 miles and have kept it in really nice condition, regular oil changes, trans, brake and coolant changes, etc. Now the car is probably worth all of $4k and it needs struts, ball joints/a-arms, both front electric window mechanisms, and has a yet undetected coolant leak (it never over heated and the oil is clean so I have my fingers crossed it is not a head issue), otherwise I really don't want a car payment and I am thinking maybe its worth putting 2-3 grand into the car since I still love the way it drives and if I go and buy a used one I may have to do all that same stuff over again as I know they are E-46 weak spots.

I know it is the age-old question, but would appreciate advice from a neutral party. How long can I expect to get out of this motor since I change the oil every 5K with good quality synthetic oil?

Thank you from a newcomer to the forum - my other vehicle is a 69' R60/5 so BMW's are in my blood for a long time all the way back to a 68' 1600 and then a 72 2002 and too many others to bore you with.

From Vermont, Tom

Last edited by Tom R60/5; 12-28-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: X5 E70, 4.8 - 2010 White
It happened to me one time after car wash. I just disconnected the battery for few minutes & cleared it.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 528 I
E39 ASC module for sale

I have an ASC controller that I can not use (my car is DSC but the dash ASC or DSC switch panel had been changed so I purchased the wrong one). The p/n-is 1 34-52-6-759-343 I'd like to get $500 for it......... Please call my cell if you are interested......

Tom in Wisconsin
Old 02-02-2012, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 525i (E39)
Hi,

I bought a 2002 525i that seems to be an e39, but registration says e59 (but all parts I try to find say I have an e39). I'll go with e39. 175,000 miles, bought used about 10,000 miles ago. Few things here and there, but overall very happy with it. I've driven from 3,000 miles round trip without issues.

About a month ago I notice if I hit a bump while going slow, the ABS would kick in. I ignored as it was rare occurance. But now it's making sense. Fast forward to yesterday. Somethign seemed a bit off...I was driving off and noticed the door locks didn't lock. ok, ignored. Then later that night, I noticed the check engine/alert triangle on, as well as the ABS and brake lights. Now I was nervous. I ignored anyway--hot date. :-)

After I got home, I did some research on here, but there's so many links I didn't know where to go for all the info I need. I found out enough to check the brake fluid level. It was just 1/4" low, but didn't seem alarming. I filled up anyway (overfilled a bit and tried taking some out). Anyway, lights still came on, and may or may not be a result of adding fluid, but the ABS went out intermittently while the triangle and brake light stayed on. Well, adding fluid didn't work.

I then saw that disconnecting the battery might work--nope. I called the dealer and got pricing based upon ABS wheel sensors from info I read on here. Average was $200.00 per wheel!!!! really? I looked on ebay (and I know that is debated a lot on here), but they average $20 to $25 per tire. More in my price range. I'm hoping to try replacing those next. Since I don't have any equipemtn to test, I'll have to just replace all 4 and hope it's not the abs module (which I have yet to find the location, or pics, on here yet). It sounded like it was a very easy DIY project? I also read on here that the wheel sensors can fail from car washes/rain? I've been washing it a lot lately from rock salt on the roads, as well as I went through about 3 hours of extreme downpouring rain splashing up into car wheel wells. The parts guy at BMW said to check for a rock or bend in something a relucktor wheel?

Do you think I should replace all 4 sensors, or try cleaning as the parts guy suggested? I hate to try and clean and onyl have something brake when I don't ahve the parts to replace. I've also heard on here about a bad wire. do you repair the wire, or replace the sensor?

I've heard about thsi DIS reset tool? expensive? needed? disconnect battery just as good? I went to a random brake place to check the codes but he said his tool doesn't read BMW.

Lastly, what tools, and sizes (american or metric) would I need to replace the front and rear sensors? I did see to remove the tire, but do I have to remove the rotor? I guess I'll find out soon enough when I take tire off. Any sugguestions on using car stands, or ramps under frame to support the car? I'm not sure even with 2ton hydrolic jack if I'd feel safe working without a net. :-)

Oh, I forgot. My spedometer never stopped working, just the auto door lock stopped.

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorales View Post
ABS/ASC FAULTS

Last edited by mjbennett9; 02-02-2012 at 04:46 PM.