Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05' 645
New Rear Tires

Has anyone heard of adjusting the rear cambers to help with the wear on the inside of the rear tires? Does it really get more life on the tires and what will it do to the handling?

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer
Old 01-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
Why mess with perfection.. My suggestion is set aside a tire budget. I go through rears yearly. Tire rack has sales sometimes

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 05' 645
Totally agree with you....just wanted to ask the question because I had an indy tell me he does that with his clients to get some more mileage out of the tires. I didn't know if it really saved that much tread or not. I love the way it handles right now, so I'm relunctant anyways. Just wanted some feedback from all the knowledgeable 6er owners out there. I love this car...

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer
Old 01-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Ducati fills my BMW's gap

Mein Auto: '05 645ci
I did the camber offset-thing after I "ate" my Kumhos Ecsta's in 3 (three) months. Same, was suggested by an INDY and now, after a year I've only spent 50% of my rear tires (Continental). I didn't notice any difference in cornering or handling and being a "cheap-ass" as I am saving some serious dough on tire costs.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
What is the "camber offset thing" ? Can it be done with just an adjustment or do You have to buy parts like suspension knuckles ,etc?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by petros2r View Post
I did the camber offset-thing after I "ate" my Kumhos Ecsta's in 3 (three) months. Same, was suggested by an INDY and now, after a year I've only spent 50% of my rear tires (Continental). I didn't notice any difference in cornering or handling and being a "cheap-ass" as I am saving some serious dough on tire costs.

What did you use for your camber setting? I was thinking of changing mine, after eating another set in 9K miles.

The setting can be done without an alignment machine, but you have to be very careful. Loosen the nut, & count the amount of turn on each side equally. This is assuming that your alignment is good. The front & rear alignment settings can not be measured on a BMW, with the string method. I have tried to use a inclinometer .before, but the readings can very. Everything would have to be perfectly level, to even be close
Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
I would suggest that if your tyres are wearing as quickly as you say the camber may already be out of adjustment.......... BMW set the camber to give the best handling and expect all tyres to be replaced with 3mm of tread left on the tyre. If you take your car to a dealer they will advise you that this is the case............this applies to all four wheels..........

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 10-24-2012, 07:54 AM

The tires got chewed-up on the insides to the minimum... I had a 4 wheel alignment done by the dealer in June/'12 (4 mos. ago) and at first I thought that they "undid" my set up of (somewhat) positive camber, that the INDY did for me a year ago... My SA says that it's "impossible to adjust the camber, unless you bend the frame" (providing that no "camber kit" is used). So now I'm thinking that the INDY didn't do or thought he did the camber adjustment and that the tires were just tough enough to withstand the wear. Those a Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires. Lasted about 20,000 miles with mostly mild driving..
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 650 Vert
I had the same excessive rear tire wear issue on my 645 (with pricey Dunlaps), one cheap solution is to dismount the rear tires and mount them on the opposite sides, the inside tread now becomes the outside tread.
2004 645Ci vert Triple Black | Sport Package| Every Option | Gone
1995 Ferrari 348 Spider Triple Black | 18 Speedlines | Tubi Exhaust | Gone
1987 Porsche 930 Slant Nose- Triple Black | Ruf wheels & Exhaust | Gone
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM

Ha, did that once with the Kumho's :-) Now these tires have 65/35 center split... may look and /or feel awkward
Old 10-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 650 Vert
Just keep your foot in it LOL, won't resolve the issue...but you'll feel better
2004 645Ci vert Triple Black | Sport Package| Every Option | Gone
1995 Ferrari 348 Spider Triple Black | 18 Speedlines | Tubi Exhaust | Gone
1987 Porsche 930 Slant Nose- Triple Black | Ruf wheels & Exhaust | Gone
Old 10-24-2012, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
....My SA says that it's "impossible to adjust the camber, unless you bend the frame" (providing that no "camber kit" is used)...
My advice is to talk to mechanics, not service advisors since most seem to be smoking cheap drugs.

You can adjust the rear camber on a stock suspension using eccentric bolts, which all BMW rear suspensions have since at least the E30. Any SA should know this. You can only adjust by a few degrees but to say you cannot adjust rear camber is just plain wrong.

Bolts #11 and #15 in this diagram:
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
That is correct Yorgi. The stock inside rear control arm bushing allows for some adjustment. The factory spec (so I was told) for the rears is -2.2 degree camber. I installed a rear camber kit myself to bring that down to about -1.3. I feel no difference in the handling and my rears are wearing much more evenly.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 10-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Thanks Yorgi, Mulchman,
I'll be sure to bring it up when I come get my car. I swear the tires were wearing evenly until recently.. When they did that 4 wheel alignment I diet ask for (the car was in for steering repair - so front alignment is all I agreed to). Now the question is, would the mechanics notice my positive camber (done by an Indy) and reside to "fix" it, bringing it to factory specs? Or would they just align horizontally(sorry - I don't know the term)??
Old 10-25-2012, 03:38 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Thanks Yorgi, Mulchman,
I'll be sure to bring it up when I come get my car. I swear the tires were wearing evenly until recently.. When they did that 4 wheel alignment I diet ask for (the car was in for steering repair - so front alignment is all I agreed to). Now the question is, would the mechanics notice my positive camber (done by an Indy) and reside to "fix" it, bringing it to factory specs? Or would they just align horizontally(sorry - I don't know the term)??
Camber is tilt, toe is direction (in or out). I doubt they did anything to the camber. That is how the tires wear on these cars with factory camber. One day everything is fine the next day you have wirs coming out of the inside corners of your rears.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
...Now the question is, would the mechanics notice my positive camber (done by an Indy) and reside to "fix" it, bringing it to factory specs? Or would they just align horizontally(sorry - I don't know the term)??
If you asked for a 4 wheel alignment they would definitely adjust camber, toe and castor. They are supposed to give you a print out of before, after and factory spec values so you can see what they did and how close they could get to spec.

If you had a custom alignment before going in to the dealer it's gone now.

Here is what a dealer report looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample_BMW_Dealer_Alignment.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	347405  

Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 AM

Actually I didn't ask for 4 wheel alignment (it was a typo "diet"), in fact, not even the front. The problem was with rack and pinion (remove and replace), they said it was cracked - remember when I had "Active Steering Malfunction".
Originally I took the car in for registering / activation of a "steering angle sensor". Then they called and said that the rack and pinion is cracked and that's what the problem was (insurance picked up the bill). There are 2 allignments On the receipt - one before the rack and pinion replacement (2 wheel),and one after ("perform 4wheel alignment per coupon - customer request"..........$99.95).
Yorgi, do you think it would be reasonable for me to ask them to "undo" my back wheels to straight-up position? Especially if I didn't ask then to touch the back wheels and it cost me some $$ to had it done in the first place?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:59 AM

Actually I didn't ask for 4 wheel alignment (it was a typo "diet"), in fact, not even the front. The problem was with rack and pinion (remove and replace), they said it was cracked - remember when I had "Active Steering Malfunction".
Originally I took the car in for registering / activation of a "steering angle sensor". Then they called and said that the rack and pinion is cracked and that's what the problem was (insurance picked up the bill). There are 2 allignments On the receipt - one before the rack and pinion replacement (2 wheel),and one after ("perform 4wheel alignment per coupon - customer request"..........$99.95).
Yorgi, do you think it would be reasonable for me to ask them to "undo" my back wheels to straight-up position? Especially if I didn't ask then to touch the back wheels and it cost me some $$ to had it done in the first place?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:33 PM

I think you would need to know the service rep pretty well if you wanted a dealer to give you a non-stock alignment. They might do it since you didn't ask for the rears to be aligned.

I would also ask them why you didn't get an alignment report. How are you supposed to know if they did anything at all without the report?

$100 is a VERY good deal for a dealer alignment. I was desperate once for an alignment and had a dealer do it, and they charged me $350, where an indy alignment shop typically charges $80 to $150.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:31 AM

Here's a link to Google documents where the PDF of the allignment is:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1wt7s...Tfnay-yHj/edit

Yorgi, pleas advice if I had the camber "straight" and if they put it back to the factory specs, as I can't simply read this. Sorry for the format but I couldn't upload a PDF into the post.
The tires are completely bald by now, btw.
Thanks

Last edited by petros2r; 11-10-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 AM

Access to the doc is now working, here is what I found...

The "after" values (the settings the car left the shop with) are all very even left/right and within OEM specs. Which is good because sometimes they cannot get the car into spec due to the limited adjustability on stock cars until you add things like camber plates and adjustable rear control arms.

As far as your "before" rear values go, you did have a little less camber than stock, but mainly on the left. -1.4 camber on the left rear vs a recommended -1.7 to -2.3. Your right rear was within stock settings before at -1.8. The "before" rear toe setting were also within spec but rear left was a bit high at 0.20.

Some of your before setting were very different left compared to right side, so the after alignment looks better overall.

In general the before/after values are not that different so I don't think camber is what is causing your excessive rear tire wear. You might have worn bushings which tend to cause wear on the inner 2 inches of the tread.

If the rear wear is like a thin 2" wide strip, then it's likely toe or bushing issues. If the bushings are worn, when you accelerate the bushings compress and puts the rear into a very positive toe (front of wheel points out) and the inside of the tire gets worn out.

If the wear is bad on the insides of the tire and it slowly gets less worn to say about the middle of the tire, then it's camber.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
I just replaced my rear rims and in the process found one of my tires torn up on the inside lip (I was lucky to be able to get a replacement by the next mourning at $506.00). I had always thought it was because my tires where rubbing. That's one of the reasons why I bought spacers.
I have replaced the back tires twice now in all because of this exact problem, the inside lip of the tire grenades.....
This seams very odd that BMW would engineer this kind of defect into the car...My SA here is pretty good guy, not out to rake you over the coals....
Ill give him a call and see what if anything can be done about this as Im tired of buying tires and post what he says. Yorgi says there is some adjustment and he's never been wrong...
My car is a daily driver and some times I respond to calls with it, so I need it in top condition....

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 11-12-2012, 05:11 PM

Called my SA today at Peter Pan BMW (not a proper name for a BMW dealership)...
We talked about the rear tires inside lip wearing out very quickly and he stated that he had seen it many times.
I brought up the talk on the forum about the camber adjustment and he did say there was a slight adjustment that they could make that would help the rear tires wear more evenly and that it would not be noticeable on the handling...
And since they are having a 4 wheel alignment special for only $199 I made an appointment for tomorrow.....
Ill follow up with the before and after specs....

Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post
...I made an appointment for tomorrow.....
Ill follow up with the before and after specs....
Tell them to check all the bushings/links/ball joints while they are at it.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 PM

Will do Yorgi... Thanks...