Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci coupe
Oil level sensor malfunction 645ci

Hi I have a 645ci 2004 and recently had the alternator go out. After fixing said alternator problem my oil level sensor malfunction warning came on. I purchase a new sensor and installed it. The warning went off briefly but came back on and the temp gauge on the dash is not working. Does this new sensor need to be reprogrammed or does an update need to be done to make it work or could I have purchased a defective part. I baught the part from Autoparts warehouse and I am not sure they will take it back since it was installed.

John
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by jromstadt View Post
Hi I have a 645ci 2004 and recently had the alternator go out. After fixing said alternator problem my oil level sensor malfunction warning came on. I purchase a new sensor and installed it. The warning went off briefly but came back on and the temp gauge on the dash is not working. Does this new sensor need to be reprogrammed or does an update need to be done to make it work or could I have purchased a defective part. I baught the part from Autoparts warehouse and I am not sure they will take it back since it was installed.

John

IS this a BMW OEM part, or aftermarket part? There are a lot of aftermarket parts that do not work well with our cars?
Old 08-27-2015, 02:24 PM

Says OES or aftermarket.
John
Old 08-27-2015, 02:35 PM

I would always stay with the Genuine BMW parts for the electronics on our cars. Other aftermarket parts have had mixed reviews. You can buy Genuine BMW parts on line cheaper, if you shop around. I would also suggest Googling the BMW secret menu, & test your instrument cluster to see if it might be the problem? The test will light up everything & move everything in the instrument cluster. This will help you narrow down your problem.

The sensor does not require coding.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:28 PM

Thanks for your feedback Herb. I will do that tonight. I just got offline with Autoparts warehouse and they said they would refund the cost of the sensor if found defective I am taking it in to an Indy tuesday. I don't want to keep buying parts just to find out it is something else. From now on Only BMW parts. Esp with Electrical.
John
Old 08-27-2015, 03:30 PM

Try GetBMWParts.com
Old 08-28-2015, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Your indy get back with you as of yet?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:43 PM

No I have to take it in on Tuesday but tomorrow I plan on getting back under car and checking the plug for corrosion. a month ago I got in deep water and I imagine things got pretty soaked. That might also be what did my alternator in. So far the only two things electrical have been the alternator going out, which was quite a shock. The darn instrument panel lit up like a Christmas tree and just about every sensor lit up and then this darn oil level sensor. I'm hoping its just corrosion and I can clean it up and make it work. I was wondering if i could put a tiny bit of die electric grease in the plug slots if that would improve the contact.
The procedure is pretty simple, as was changing the Alternator. Thanks to this site that is. It is full of info
Old 08-28-2015, 01:47 PM

Herb

I tried to do the instrument panel secret panel reset and I can't get it to work on my 645. I remember doing it on my 325 but on my 645 it only gets to the reset for the service.

John
Old 09-29-2015, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 650i
Hey, I had the same problem just now after I changed my alternator on my 06 650i. Oil sensor malfunction pops up every time I shut the vehicle off. Were you able to fix it ? I'm thinking of buying an oem oil sensor and do the change with my next oil change.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:07 AM

I took my car in. The oil level sensor was not the problem. Cheap alternator was the problem. I bought a remanufactured after market alternator from Autoparts warehouse. This was a mistake. It did not work on my car (645ci) They ran a test and found my IBS was bad also, then after spending 440 on that, they said the new alternator was bad. They replaced it with a Bosch and now everything works. They said they think the IBS went out first then the alternator. All in all I spent 1240.00 at the Indy. They ended up putting my old oil sensor back in. It was fine. I sent the oil sensor back to Autoparts WH and got full refund and they also gave me a full refund on the alternator but didn't want it back.
The IBS is in the negative battery cable in the trunk. Part is about 200. You may need to have the care reprogramed after replacing it. I'm not sure. They ran all my codes and cleared them. So I would say if you didn't buy a Bosch or other OEM a bad alternator Or IBS could be the problem.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:06 AM

Good that you got your problems all sorted out, it is best to stick with OEM parts on our cars. They can be purchased from other places, as long as they were the BMW brand of choice.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:54 PM

I changed the oil level sensor with my oil change, had the code cleared and it re-appeared within minutes. The codes that came up were 2ebc, 2eb8. Any other suggestions anyone?
Old 10-30-2015, 04:54 AM

what kind of alternator did you buy? cheep alt was my problem not oil sensor. also might check IBS or intelligent battery sensor on negative cable
Old 10-30-2015, 11:44 AM

I went with an after market alternator. It could be my ibs as my oil pressure Guage on my dash is not working aswell. I cannot reset my intervals for oil changes. Tried it with the tool and also from the options through the cluster.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:23 PM

It is not clear if you used an aftermarket oil level sensor, or an OEM part? If it is an aftermarket part, I would replace it with an OEM sensor. Are you having problems with your alternator after it was replaced, & what brand was it? If you are having an IBS fault code, did you pull on the negative battery cable will disconnecting the battery, or possibly the alternator is not communicating properly with the DME.

Last edited by HerbP; 11-01-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:09 PM

as I stated before my oil level sensor was not bad. it was the alternator. Even after I changed the IBS the oil level sensor still did not work. The Indy's diagnostic said the alternator was faulty. They replaced it with a rebuilt Bosch and everything worked fine. been over a month and no problems. My original oil sensor was put back in and it is functioning well. I think your after market alternator is not communicating well with your car and could be your problem.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:33 PM

Old post update and non-oem alt issue confirmation.

So... Have the same issue with my 04 545/6 sp manual. I replaced my alternator twice in as many years because of leaking valve cover gaskets (oil gets in alt causing early failure). Both replacements were refurbs. The first alt had no issues until it failed from the oil getting into it. Since installing the second alt (installed now and since getting the valve cover gaskets fixed); I have started seeing the Oil Sensor Malfunction message. I replaced the oil sensor with an oem part, but the issue persists. I now must assume it is the POS alternator. What should be checked on the alt to verify that it is indeed the cause of the malfunction message?
Old 04-28-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHelios View Post
So... Have the same issue with my 04 545/6 sp manual. I replaced my alternator twice in as many years because of leaking valve cover gaskets (oil gets in alt causing early failure). Both replacements were refurbs. The first alt had no issues until it failed from the oil getting into it. Since installing the second alt (installed now and since getting the valve cover gaskets fixed); I have started seeing the Oil Sensor Malfunction message. I replaced the oil sensor with an oem part, but the issue persists. I now must assume it is the POS alternator. What should be checked on the alt to verify that it is indeed the cause of the malfunction message?
Insight from anyone else regarding this issue?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:54 PM

A new alternator by Valeo can be found for 300.00 new. The Valeo is the OEM alternator for the 2004 to 2006. The 2006 year model had both a Valeo & Bosch alternator. If the alternator was causing the oil sensor to read bad, that is a new one on me. The feedback loop to the DME, can cause strange things to happen.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
A new alternator by Valeo can be found for 300.00 new. The Valeo is the OEM alternator for the 2004 to 2006. The 2006 year model had both a Valeo & Bosch alternator. If the alternator was causing the oil sensor to read bad, that is a new one on me. The feedback loop to the DME, can cause strange things to happen.
That's interesting... I know the first refurb was definitely a Valeo but I cannot recall if the second refurb alt is a Valeo or another brand. I will have to look at my records and find out. Thanks!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search