Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A3
Looking to purchase my first BMW - 2005 645

Hello!

Im considering purchasing my first BMW. It is a 2005 645i, super clean, only has 35,000 miles on it. I've done some research but a good amount of the information is outdated. Just looking for some feedback on the car and an idea of what im getting myself into in terms of service and reliability.

Thank you!

Last edited by Stewbear; 04-27-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Ask for any service records if you can get them from the previous owner, or BMW. If you are not familiar with BMW maintenance cost, there is plenty of info here on the forum. Since you have an Audi, the repair bills would be similar. There is no such thing as a cheap repair bill, on a German vehicle!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Ask for any service records if you can get them from the previous owner, or BMW. If you are not familiar with BMW maintenance cost, there is plenty of info here on the forum. Since you have an Audi, the repair bills would be similar. There is no such thing as a cheap repair bill, on a German vehicle!
Will defiantly do that. I think my local dealership will do a compete check of the vehicle for $200 so I'll plan on doing that. Haha ain't that the truth!
Old 04-27-2016, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d 428i
Looking to purchase my first BMW - 2005 645

Sounds like a nice find.
Dealer PPI are worthless. Take it to knowledgeable and reputable BMW independent instead. Greatest worry would be leaks and worn rubber suspension parts.
The biggest expense will be leaks. Eventually the engine will need new gaskets, new valve stem seals, new coolant valley pipe. Google BMW N62 in front of all of these for details. Once you get to these repairs it takes commitment to keep the car. Other than that, it's a fantastic car. Great to look at and better to drive.

Last edited by FredoinSF; 04-28-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:56 AM
Stevetheleg

Mein Auto: Bmw M6
I bought a 650i sport 12 months ago in the uk and everyone said I was mad because if costs. I now have a 2005 M6. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty from time to time and the abundance of information on this forum most repairs can be quite simple. I could own my car if I has to pay stealer prices for labour! As far as considering buying a 6er do it. It's an awesome car which ever model you go for. A wolf on Sheeps clothing and all the class of much more expensive cars. Good luck ;-)
Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Sounds like a nice find.
Dealer PPI are worth
Es. Take it to knoedgeable and reputBlr BMW independent instead. Greatest worry would be leak and worn rubber suspension parts.
The biggest worry is leaks. Eventually the engine will need new gaskets, new valve stem seals, new coolant valley pipe. Google BMW N62 in front of all of these for details. Once you get to these repairs it takes commitment to keep the car. Other than that, it's a fantastic car. Great to look at and better to drive.
That is my one big concern with the car, it being more than 10 years old I worry about the condition of the gaskets/seals. Thank you for the reply!
Old 04-28-2016, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d 428i
Oh boy, sorry about the typos! Fixed now but maybe I had more than two glasses of vino last night...

I used to worry about leaks too but I'm over it. I've had my car nearly 7 years, it has 57k miles and I've only done tires, a battery, and much more maintenance than BMW prescribes (oil changes at 7.5k miles, trans and diff oil at 30k, power steering fluid, etc...). It's been rock solid and still feels special after all these years. I have zero regrets, but what I do have is a $10k leaky N62 rainy day fund hidden in Quicken. It's cheaper than replacing it with a newer car and already budgeted for.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Oh boy, sorry about the typos! Fixed now but maybe I had more than two glasses of vino last night...

I used to worry about leaks too but I'm over it. I've had my car nearly 7 years, it has 57k miles and I've only done tires, a battery, and much more maintenance than BMW prescribes (oil changes at 7.5k miles, trans and diff oil at 30k, power steering fluid, etc...). It's been rock solid and still feels special after all these years. I have zero regrets, but what I do have is a $10k leaky N62 rainy day fund hidden in Quicken. It's cheaper than replacing it with a newer car and already budgeted for.

Thank you for the information. Sounds like a wonderful car, I've heard some concerning things about the 645 compared to the 650 which has me a little worried.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=523866

"The thing lights up like a damn Christmas tree"

Last edited by Stewbear; 04-28-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
The only big difference is the Secondary Air system. IF the oil is changed at 5k miles, I don't think it would be a problem. I would also suggest to run a bottle of Techron, to keep the fuel/air system clean.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search