Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: '06 650CI
Cool Pas restraint sys. Light

2006 650 CONV. Passenger restraint light keeps coming on. Reads: Passenger restraint system. Fault in restraint system affecting air bag belt tensioner or belt force limiter. Had an independent scan and all wiring to all components check out good for power flow.

Advice was to visually inspect wiring and connectors "shaking" them to possible find fault.if nothing found replace the air bag module $ 495.00 +. Don't mind spending the $$ just want to make sure it is the problem.

Kind of pisses me off that a car with only 19k mile has had so many problems already. Just finished replacing the radiator fan which was covered under extended warranty that i bought form bmw dealer.
The best " platinum" coverage warranty that they had and come to find out it does not cover srs air bag system! Seems to be a lot of this going around at bmw. Ya think they could build 'em a little better! Any advise out there??
Ads by Google
Old 04-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Sorry to hear about your problem. It is always very frustrating to deal with these nagging problems.

You have come across the ugly truth of extended warranties, both aftermarket and BMW CPO. They have exclusion lists, and since it is an insurance product they are always betting against you.

If it isn't covered by the extended warranty then find an independent that handles German imports and see if they can get the part cheaper. I am not sure if you are going to put it in yourself? Regardless, finding an indie is always a smart move for those excluded repairs.

I don't know that I find this a problem with the quality of the car. It isn't something that eveyone reports as a flawed item on the board, all cars have potential electronic failures and a vehicle with this many sensors is bound to have this happen.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645 CI
have your indy dealer ck your postive safety battery terminal that was my problem causing those air bag lights to come on i thk the part from dealer was 600.00
Old 04-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
There was a service button about this. Search for it and bring it to the dealer something about the sensor in the seat..ill search when I get near a pc

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 AM

Thanx for the support. I too have seen the 08v-384 recall but it ends 11/30/05 and my car was built in march of o6. It is a seat sensor and my code is a belt tensioner or limiter although i feel it probably is the seat sensor. They probably won't cover it anyway. If anyone finds any more please post.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Laslonimne
Mein Auto: 650i Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FENCEMEISTER View Post
Advice was to visually inspect wiring and connectors "shaking" them to possible find fault...
Have you done this? I had the same warning and it turned out to be a loose connection under the seat - a water bottle rolled under the seat and apparently loosened a connection.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Wow! That's interesting! I'll be under my seat in a couple of minutes.........thanx!
Old 04-17-2011, 12:02 PM

Hey can someone help this dummy (me!) and tell me how to get picture of your car to show up on your postings??
Old 04-17-2011, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by FENCEMEISTER View Post
Hey can someone help this dummy (me!) and tell me how to get picture of your car to show up on your postings??
To add a picture to your signature (ie all your posts will have a pic of your car at the bottom)
a) First resize the picture you want to use to a max size of 800 x 350 (must also be less than 200KB). You can use MS Paint or iPhoto or Photoshop to do this.
b) Click on "User CP" in the top left of the bimmerfest screen.
c) Click on "Edit Signature" on the left side
d) Optional - You can add some text in the box that you want to show at the bottom of all your posts
e) upload picture
--Option 1) use pic on your computer:
--Down near the bottom of the page under "Signature Picture" click on "Browse" then navigate to the location of the picture on your PC, then click on "Upload"
--Option 2) If your picture is sitting on a site like photobucket:
--Click on the "Insert Image" icon (mountain range - top of text box) and paste the link to the photo.

If you want to just post a single pic to a post, here is a link with instructions on posting pics.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 04-17-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Thanx a lot, yorgi! I'll give this a try as soon as i get my new hard drive installed.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:56 PM

hey yorgi can you please tell me if what correct name of safety battery terminal that shuts are car down if we to get in a accident our something. Dealer told me part cost 600.00 but I Forgot the correct name for that part thanks for your help
Old 04-17-2011, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcrae View Post
hey yorgi can you please tell me if what correct name of safety battery terminal that shuts are car down if we to get in a accident our something. Dealer told me part cost 600.00 but I Forgot the correct name for that part thanks for your help
BMW calls it a "Safety Battery Terminal but most people refer to it as a "Battery Safety Terminal" (BST).

It's a pyro device that fires when the airbags go off, disconnecting the main battery cable to prevent electrical fires. When you replace it you have to splice it into the main battery cable, so there is a bit of labor involved.

I can't find the thing in the ETK, so no idea what the part costs.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 04-18-2011, 06:42 AM

thks so much yorgi your the man....