Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:28 PM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i
Need advice on 2012 X5 Order

Greetings Bimmerfestians!

I am about to order the 2012 X5 xDrive35i and I needed some advice.

I am not the kind of guy that really HAS to have all of the additional toys in a car. I am very practical and only pay for the items I really need and want. So I have decided to get the Base model X5.

The new 2012 X5 has really integrated a lot of nice stuff into their Base model. I was doing a direct comparison with the Premium model and I came to the following conclusion. None of the additional options packages really add value to me. I think the Base 2012, fully loaded, with Leather, Navi, 3rd Row, Window Shades, Sirius, and Convenience package is truly everything I really need/want. When doing a line by line comparison between the two, it was clear that you are essentially paying an additional $3000 for the 19" Rims of the Premium (and the privilege of being able to purchase additional option packages) - vs a Fully Loaded Base.

Am I missing something?

Also, now that the X5 will be standard with the "Professional HiFi" audio system, there isn't a real need to upgrade to the premium unless you are a true audiophile. I discovered that the new Base system is really decent with: 10 Speakers, 2 Subs, and a 7-Channel Amp (200 Watts). Pre-2012, the stock stereo on Base model was garbage.

I appreciate your input and look forward to putting down my order! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by marauder73; 04-18-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Well, some will argue that you should go for the upgraded audio if you have ears.

Pay attention to the Audio in the X5- do not get confused by the stuff they market in other models (ie LOGIC 7)... just because they use similar names does not mean anything...my recollection on 'X5 specific' audio options is that the base is bad, the 'premium' slightly better. Neither is 'audiophile'. Don't delude yourself.

I'm not saying what YOU should do, but I'm caution you to know the difference in the X5 audios....(versus other BMW audio offerings)

Last edited by ard; 04-17-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5
When compared to 35i premium, the 35i base fully optioned will not come with the following:

- 19" Alloy star-spoke wheels
- Power adj. steering column
- privacy glass

Also with the base model, you will not be able to get the rear view camera and universal garage door opener which only come in the convenience package with the 35i premium.

Like you, I'm leaning towards ordering the 35i base model fully optioned. The only thing I think I might miss is the rear view camera; but given that park distance control is standard, I can do without the camera.

I'd like to hear some opinions on the necessity of the rear view camera.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 PM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy13 View Post
When compared to 35i premium, the 35i base fully optioned will not come with the following:

- 19" Alloy star-spoke wheels
- Power adj. steering column
- privacy glass

Also with the base model, you will not be able to get the rear view camera and universal garage door opener which only come in the convenience package with the 35i premium.

Like you, I'm leaning towards ordering the 35i base model fully optioned. The only thing I think I might miss is the rear view camera; but given that park distance control is standard, I can do without the camera.

I'd like to hear some opinions on the necessity of the rear view camera.
The wheels certainly won't bother me, and the steering column is manually adjustable (would rarely use it anyway) and the "privacy glass" is just a bit of extra tint. The backup camera is something I use to think was cool, but after trying it out, I found that I couldn't break the habit of looking over my shoulder. The parking sensors is something I could not do without however, and really love, which they thankfully added as standard.

Here is how the prices break down for comparison (Military/Diplomat pricing):

BMW X5 xDrive35i ($41,600) (Military/Diplomate pricing)
Nevada Leather ($1450)
Convenience Pkg: Moonroof, Auto-Dim Mirrors, Trim, Ambience Light ($2100)
3rd Row Seat ($1700)
GPS Nav ($1900)
Sat Radio ($350)
Rear Window Shades ($250)
---------------------------------
Total: $49,350 (This is what I'm strongly leaning towards - a nicely equiped X5 for under $50K?? Wow!)

BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium ($48,200) (Military/Diplomate pricing)
19" Rims (N/C)
Power Steering Column (N/C)
Nevada Leather (N/C)
Convenience Pkg: 4-zone Climate, Rear/Top Camera, Mirror compass, GPS Nav, Rear Window Shades, Voice Command, Comfort Access, Uni Garage Opener ($3500)
Sat Radio ($350)
3rd Row Seat ($1700)
----------------------------------------------
Total: $53,750

Comarative Analysis: $4,400 difference buys: 1" Larger Rims, Power Steering Column, 4-Zone Climate, Cameras, Compass, Voice Command, Comfort Access, Garage Opener.

So ultimately, are the above options really worth that much? That is a subjective question of course, but to me they are not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf X5 Standard Features.pdf (44.6 KB, 184 views)
File Type: pdf 2012 BMW X5.pdf (139.6 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by marauder73; 04-18-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:22 PM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Well, some will argue that you should go for the upgraded audio if you have ears.

Pay attention to the Audio in the X5- do not get confused by the stuff they market in other models (ie LOGIC 7)... just because they use similar names does not mean anything...my recollection on 'X5 specific' audio options is that the base is bad, the 'premium' slightly better. Neither is 'audiophile'. Don't delude yourself.

I'm not saying what YOU should do, but I'm caution you to know the difference in the X5 audios....(versus other BMW audio offerings)
Well, that was exactly my point. The 2012 X5 now has the 10 Speaker, 7-Channel 200 Watt Amp. I would agree with you if they kept the base system the same for 2012, but that was my whole point. The new Premium has a 9-Channel Amp w/ 600 Watts and 16 Speakers. I'll gladly pocket the extra $1200 in favor of the new HiFi stock system.

Last edited by marauder73; 04-18-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
First, the steering column: I would ensure you get a power steering column if:

1) you're female. Perhaps it may not be an issue to guys, but the steering column has to be out pretty far for us females, plus, we have to basically 'fall out of the car' with an X5. If the steering wheel didn't retract, exiting the car would probably not be pretty.
2) you plan to have more than one driver of the car, and you are different sizes. Please remember #1 if you plan to have your wife drive your car. When you have the power steering column, the wheel position is saved with the key memory, so you'll have your wheel position, and she'll have hers.
3) you want to maintain the 5-series 'luxury' of the car instead of being some mixed up b*saterdized X3-ish X5. The power steering column is one of the things that puts the x5 in bmw's 'luxury class'. You can't get a power steering column in the 3-ish series cars/xs. When I get loaners, I find it highly annoying that the steering wheel doesn't get out of my way when I get out of the car. However, perhaps what you're looking for is a BIG X3 with an X5 badge, which is more what the 'base' is. As Kramer said: not that there's anything wrong with that. (let the flames begin).

That being said, this is something that falls into the category of, I don't need that, but once you have it, you won't buy a car without it, like: power seats, comfort seats (for so many), being able to shift your auto xmission yourself, air conditioning, etc.

Back up camera: if you ever plan to back your car into a parking space, take an e70 out to see if you can do it. I back my car in a lot. I used to be able to whip my e53 into a parking space with just the tilt-down mirror lickety split. When I test drove an e70, I couldn't see the passenger side stripe at all. It was almost impossible for me to back it into a space. With the backup camera and those guide lines, I can back my e70 all over creation. And top-view is just so cool. It's like a satellite is watching your car. Perhaps the 'backing up' story is different if you're 8" taller than me and/or don't have your seat cranked all the way down. It is always best to try it out and be darned sure because, unlike the stylin' wheels and window tint, you can't change your mind and add it later.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:40 AM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
First, the steering column: I would ensure you get a power steering column if:

1) you're female. Perhaps it may not be an issue to guys, but the steering column has to be out pretty far for us females, plus, we have to basically 'fall out of the car' with an X5. If the steering wheel didn't retract, exiting the car would probably not be pretty.
2) you plan to have more than one driver of the car, and you are different sizes. Please remember #1 if you plan to have your wife drive your car. When you have the power steering column, the wheel position is saved with the key memory, so you'll have your wheel position, and she'll have hers.
3) you want to maintain the 5-series 'luxury' of the car instead of being some mixed up b*saterdized X3-ish X5. The power steering column is one of the things that puts the x5 in bmw's 'luxury class'. You can't get a power steering column in the 3-ish series cars/xs. When I get loaners, I find it highly annoying that the steering wheel doesn't get out of my way when I get out of the car. However, perhaps what you're looking for is a BIG X3 with an X5 badge, which is more what the 'base' is. As Kramer said: not that there's anything wrong with that. (let the flames begin).

That being said, this is something that falls into the category of, I don't need that, but once you have it, you won't buy a car without it, like: power seats, comfort seats (for so many), being able to shift your auto xmission yourself, air conditioning, etc.

Back up camera: if you ever plan to back your car into a parking space, take an e70 out to see if you can do it. I back my car in a lot. I used to be able to whip my e53 into a parking space with just the tilt-down mirror lickety split. When I test drove an e70, I couldn't see the passenger side stripe at all. It was almost impossible for me to back it into a space. With the backup camera and those guide lines, I can back my e70 all over creation. And top-view is just so cool. It's like a satellite is watching your car. Perhaps the 'backing up' story is different if you're 8" taller than me and/or don't have your seat cranked all the way down. It is always best to try it out and be darned sure because, unlike the stylin' wheels and window tint, you can't change your mind and add it later.
I agree with most of what you said. That is very true for smallish women. However, I'm 6' 1" and my wife will rarely if ever drive it since she just loves her car and is downright afraid of driving the X5 Monster (as she calls it).

IMHO, the X5 should have power steering column as part of it's standard Base features, like most other vehicles in this class. There are much cheaper vehicles, like Volvo, that have that as standard and it's rediculous that it's not standard on BMW.

The gotta-have-it features (for me) are now on the Base model, along with the more powerful and fuel efficient engine. I'm certain the number of sales of the Base model will go up substantially for 2012.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
"$4,400 difference buys: 1" Larger Rims, Power Steering Column, 4-Zone Climate, Cameras, Compass, Voice Command, Comfort Access, Garage Opener. So ultimately, are the above options really worth that much?"

You forgot to include navigation and rear window shade. Since you are getting 3rd row, I assume you have kids, if so the rear window shades and the 4 zone climate control are a must. You WILL REGRET it when you see your toddler falling asleep in the car seat with the blazing sun frying his/her face!! And you will have lots of stuff in the trunk, so the privacy glass will be useful as well. For me all this is totally worth the 4400 and especially when you are spending 50 big ones already. 4400 will elevate your nice X5 to a whole new level. Besides 18" rims on the massive X5 looks plain silly.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 04-18-2011, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x5 x35i SA
1) Just because they tweak the base stereo and give it a nice new premium name doesn't mean you're getting a stereo worthy of a premium title.

2) Think about resale. Talk to your BMW dealer, a base x5 will have much lower demand and as a result won't fair as well on trade-in.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:20 AM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
"$4,400 difference buys: 1" Larger Rims, Power Steering Column, 4-Zone Climate, Cameras, Compass, Voice Command, Comfort Access, Garage Opener. So ultimately, are the above options really worth that much?"

You forgot to include navigation and rear window shade. Since you are getting 3rd row, I assume you have kids, if so the rear window shades and the 4 zone climate control are a must. You WILL REGRET it when you see your toddler falling asleep in the car seat with the blazing sun frying his/her face!! And you will have lots of stuff in the trunk, so the privacy glass will be useful as well. For me all this is totally worth the 4400 and especially when you are spending 50 big ones already. 4400 will elevate your nice X5 to a whole new level. Besides 18" rims on the massive X5 looks plain silly.
No, I didn't include the Nav or Rear Shade because it was already included in the price comparison I did (as part of the Convenience Pkg). As far as the look of the Rims is concerned, that is really very subjective. Personally I like simplicity of the 18" Rims. Advantages are: less likely to damage rims on road debris/curbs, more comfortable ride, cheaper replacements Tires, and much easier to clean.

Also, the privacy glass is simply tint, which in Germany is not really needed when the temperatures are very temperate. I'm getting the roll up sun shades anyways.

But very good insight anyhow, thank you.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 AM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory34 View Post
1) Just because they tweak the base stereo and give it a nice new premium name doesn't mean you're getting a stereo worthy of a premium title.

2) Think about resale. Talk to your BMW dealer, a base x5 will have much lower demand and as a result won't fair as well on trade-in.
1) True, there is currently no review of the NEW base HiFi system in the X5. I'd be very interested to hear a review from someone as soon as they get it delivered. I'm curious if the Pre-2012 Stock Stereo had the same 10 speaker/2 sub/7 channel 200watt amp? If so, I would agree with you that they simply changed the name, but somehow I doubt that very much.

2) Resale is a real concern for those who quickly burn through cars and change them out every 2 or 3 years. If you are the kind of guy that drives a car till the wheels fall off (me), then resale is of least concern. Also, the resale of a vehicle is based much more on the actual features/options on a vehicle, not the Title of the vehicle. There is no physical difference between the Base and Premium, except the name and the few extra options, which after 5+ years would have a dramatically reduced value. Typically, Nav, Sunroof, and Leather are the options that are a deal-breaker during a future sale, not wether or not the vehicle has a compass in the rear-view mirror.

Again... all very subjective. No need to flame. Do most BMW owners tire of their vehicles after just a couple of years and trade them in at a dramatic loss?

Last edited by marauder73; 04-18-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2006 325i
[QUOTE=marauder73;6003809]

1) True, there is currently no review of the NEW base HiFi system in the X5. I'd be very interested to hear a review from someone as soon as they get it delivered. I'm curious if the Pre-2012 Stock Stereo had the same 10 speaker/2 sub/7 channel 200watt amp? If so, I would agree with you that they simply changed the name, but somehow I doubt that very much.

2) Resale is a real concern for those who quickly burn through cars and change them out every 2 or 3 years. If you are the kind of guy that drives a car till the wheels fall off (me), then resale is of least concern. Also, the resale of a vehicle is based much more on the actual features/options on a vehicle, not the Title of the vehicle. There is no physical difference between the Base and Premium, except the name and the few extra options, which after 5+ years would have a dramatically reduced value. Typically, Nav, Sunroof, and Leather are the options that are a deal-breaker during a future sale, not wether or not the vehicle has a compass in the rear-view mirror.

Again... all very subjective. No need to flame. Do most BMW owners tire of their vehicles after just a couple of years and trade them in at a dramatic loss?[/QUOTE

I see you have Pentagon's pricing sheets. I am picking up a 35i Sport in June from Matthias in K-Town.

You are right, the base 35i will be a nice vehicle and if you can live without those options, I would. For me, I like my vehicles loaded from the "rooty to the tooty", especially since we buy them here throught military sales at a nice price.

What you can live with and what I can live with is two different things.

I got the Tech Pkg on my vehicle. Could I live without it, absoluately, but my philosophy is, if you are going to do it, ensure you don't have any regrets later. What some see as useless, others don't.

So, get the vehicle, exactly how you want it, and enjoy it, hopefully with no regrets.

Also, I am sorry dude, but, the 18' wheels do look crazy on that big a** truck.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 AM

My 20" 214 looked alright in the beginning, but the more I look at it from a profile view, it already looks a bit small. So doing 18" on a sports oriented X5 not only is doing a big disservice on looks, it is also doing the handling a big disservice as well.

Retired

Current
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 AM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
My 20" 214 looked alright in the beginning, but the more I look at it from a profile view, it already looks a bit small. So doing 18" on a sports oriented X5 not only is doing a big disservice on looks, it is also doing the handling a big disservice as well.
Certainly, if Sport's oriented driving is your primary goal then of course the larger the rims the better. However, if you are like me, and want a family friendly (and softer riding) vehicle with a sporty look and feel, then you go with stock 18s.

However, the wonderful thing about Rims is that they are 100% swappable. I may, at some point, choose to get a nice set of 20" Rims with Summer tires. Luckily, they are very inexpensive around here. I can pick up a clean set of New OEM Rims for 1000 Euros.

Last edited by marauder73; 04-18-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x5 35i Premium
It really just comes down to what you want. Personally, I feel that when you're spending as much money as you will already be spending, what's an extra $4000? Especially if you're financing the vehicle, the price difference is minimal. I think that when you're spending that much for a luxury car, certain things should be there, including a power tilt wheel, definitely cameras, a garage opener, and maybe even comfort access. But, the biggest thing for me may be the privacy glass. Yes, it's just tint, but it really changes the entire look of the car. When you take out the privacy glass and add on wheels that are probably too small for such a large vehicle, it just really bumps it down a notch in luxury appearance (at least to me).

I've just never been able to wrap my head around buying a base model luxury car. You could buy a much better equipped SUV of similar size for less money. If you want a BMW, might as well make it seem like a BMW. Just my $0.02
Old 04-18-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder73 View Post
Luckily, they are very inexpensive around here. I can pick up a clean set of used OEM Rims for 1000 Euros.
I am having great difficulty understanding how you're having trouble justifying a $4400 jump to a better looking car with options that some would say any luxury car ought to include, but yet think that 1000 Euros is reasonable for new rims!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:14 AM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post
It really just comes down to what you want. Personally, I feel that when you're spending as much money as you will already be spending, what's an extra $4000? Especially if you're financing the vehicle, the price difference is minimal. I think that when you're spending that much for a luxury car, certain things should be there, including a power tilt wheel, definitely cameras, a garage opener, and maybe even comfort access. But, the biggest thing for me may be the privacy glass. Yes, it's just tint, but it really changes the entire look of the car. When you take out the privacy glass and add on wheels that are probably too small for such a large vehicle, it just really bumps it down a notch in luxury appearance (at least to me).

I've just never been able to wrap my head around buying a base model luxury car. You could buy a much better equipped SUV of similar size for less money. If you want a BMW, might as well make it seem like a BMW. Just my $0.02
It's a valid point. Why do you suppose BMW even bothers to sell a Base model if there is some kind of BMW owner's code that suggests you should always get a fully loaded version? Has looks really overtaken practicality and prudence as a priority in a luxury car? The idea that just because I can afford something, I am suddenly obligated to do so?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
It's a valid point. Why do you suppose BMW even bothers to sell a Base model if there is some kind of BMW owner's code that suggests you should always get a fully loaded version? Has looks really overtaken practicality and prudence as a priority in a luxury car? The idea that just because I can afford something, I am suddenly obligated to do so?
OK, straw man, there is quite a bit of difference between a base model and fully loaded BMW; no one has advocated that you purchase the latter. You asked for advice, and the advice you received is pretty much universally to go for the premium model. Most of us feel that for the extra money you'd spend, in relation to what you're already spending and what you'll get for the price, it's a good value. You can take the advice or leave it. But, if you have your mind made up, there's not much point asking. Whatever you decide to go with, I hope you enjoy it.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:31 AM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post
OK, straw man, there is quite a bit of difference between a base model and fully loaded BMW; no one has advocated that you purchase the latter. You asked for advice, and the advice you received is pretty much universally to go for the premium model. Most of us feel that for the extra money you'd spend, in relation to what you're already spending and what you'll get for the price, it's a good value. You can take the advice or leave it. But, if you have your mind made up, there's not much point asking. Whatever you decide to go with, I hope you enjoy it.
Well, if it was the stripped down Base model with no options, I might agree with that. I think my point was, that as of the 2012 MY, the X5 Base model is perhaps worth a second look. I was planning on getting every available option within the Base model order sheet, making it a very nice vehicle which contains 97% of the options/features that the Premium has, but for a considerable savings. Yes, I wanted advice and opinions, and am surprised at how fervently many BMW owners advocate for excess.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 AM

You asked for opinions, and you got opinions. If you are so against what most people are saying then why bother to ask for the opinions in the first place? And especially since your decisions has already been made, it seems?

Retired

Current
Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I can pick up a clean set of New OEM Rims for 1000 Euros.
Give me their info please, as I would love to buy a set of OEM rims for 1000 Euros and turn around and sell them here for $6000.

Retired

Current
Old 04-18-2011, 08:53 AM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Give me their info please, as I would love to buy a set of OEM rims for 1000 Euros and turn around and sell them here for $6000.
I sense a note of hostility in your correspondence. I certainly don't appreciate that. If you did not wish to continue replying to me, why did you choose to, and then chastise me for my choices? Thank you for your opinion, it is noted.

In Germany, the local papers are full of BMW Rims and Wheels. Feel free to visit Germany and browse the adverts if you like, it really doesn't bother me that you have doubts regarding the validity of my claim.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:09 AM

I sincerely would like to get the info to the place in Europe that sells $6000 rims (US price) for 1000 Euros..... as would a lot of people in this country. Why would you think I was being hostile?

Retired

Current
Old 04-18-2011, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x5 x35i SA
Quote:

Again... all very subjective. No need to flame. Do most BMW owners tire of their vehicles after just a couple of years and trade them in at a dramatic loss?
Wasn't 'flaming', was just trying to provide input for your decision.

As for the resale, it may be done differently in Germany than in the States, and certainly is mitigated if you intend to drive it into the ground. Here, trade-in or re-sale values are very much guided by black or blue book values as a starting point then adjusted, of course, by the individual dealer, but really only to the extent your are trading the vehicle in to a dealership that intends to re-sale the car on his own lot. It's a bit of a 'perfect market' here and if they can't move your car quickly, they'll send it to auction and that pricing will be damn near 100% correlated to 'book values', which will be predicated on your sub-model (i.e. Base, Premium, SA). You wouldn't get as much 'credit' for the options you included as you would have in just purchasing the Premium model because your vehicle will be lumped into the 'Base' category. Certainly here, the demand for 2nd generation Base luxury vehicles is significantly lower than that of mid-tier or premium specced models.

I have no intention of trying to change your mind, only providing input for you to make your own decision, which I presume is why you started the thread...
Old 04-18-2011, 11:07 AM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory34 View Post
Wasn't 'flaming', was just trying to provide input for your decision.

As for the resale, it may be done differently in Germany than in the States, and certainly is mitigated if you intend to drive it into the ground. Here, trade-in or re-sale values are very much guided by black or blue book values as a starting point then adjusted, of course, by the individual dealer, but really only to the extent your are trading the vehicle in to a dealership that intends to re-sale the car on his own lot. It's a bit of a 'perfect market' here and if they can't move your car quickly, they'll send it to auction and that pricing will be damn near 100% correlated to 'book values', which will be predicated on your sub-model (i.e. Base, Premium, SA). You wouldn't get as much 'credit' for the options you included as you would have in just purchasing the Premium model because your vehicle will be lumped into the 'Base' category. Certainly here, the demand for 2nd generation Base luxury vehicles is significantly lower than that of mid-tier or premium specced models.

I have no intention of trying to change your mind, only providing input for you to make your own decision, which I presume is why you started the thread...
I simply can't understand the concept of trading in a vehicle. It is highway robbery. Why sell your car at a substantial discount, just so the stealership can earn the profit? I've always sold my cars (15 of them) at private sales and due to the excellent condition of them, have always gotten right at the Blue book Good or Excellent values.

This vehicle depreciates more than $5000/year, regardless of what you have on it. The options everyone so covets depreciate even faster than the car itself. The only options that hold their value (somewhat) is the Leather (assuming it's well cared for), the Nav/Audio system, and the Moonroof. Everything else is based on the actual condition of the vehicle and it's powertrain.

What does it say about BMW vehicles if their owners only keep them a couple of years and then trade them in on a newer model? That they have more money than they know what to do with, or that they are never satisfied with their cars?

I am actually buying this vehicle Cash. I make more than enough to purchase a vehicle twice this cost, but have always maintained a very prudent and sensible mentality about my vehicle purchases. I see no reason to throw money out the window on options that "might" fetch a higher resale value in the distant future, or appeal to the Elitist snob's idea of what a BMW "should" have on it!