Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x5 x35i SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder73 View Post
I simply can't understand the concept of trading in a vehicle. It is highway robbery. Why sell your car at a substantial discount, just so the stealership can earn the profit? I've always sold my cars (15 of them) at private sales and due to the excellent condition of them, have always gotten right at the Blue book Good or Excellent values.

This vehicle depreciates more than $5000/year, regardless of what you have on it. The options everyone so covets depreciate even faster than the car itself. The only options that hold their value (somewhat) is the Leather (assuming it's well cared for), the Nav/Audio system, and the Moonroof. Everything else is based on the actual condition of the vehicle and it's powertrain.

What does it say about BMW vehicles if their owners only keep them a couple of years and then trade them in on a newer model? That they have more money than they know what to do with, or that they are never satisfied with their cars?

I am actually buying this vehicle Cash. I make more than enough to purchase a vehicle twice this cost, but have always maintained a very prudent and sensible mentality about my vehicle purchases. I see no reason to throw money out the window on options that "might" fetch a higher resale value in the distant future, or appeal to the Elitist snob's idea of what a BMW "should" have on it!
I can't argue that it doesn't make more financial sense to keep a car 'forever'. Every individual will have their own answer to your question, but mine is that I am very satisfied with my BMW vehicles, however about every 4 years I am intrigued enough by the new designs and technology to try a new one. It's all about driving enjoyment. As for whether to private sale or trade in, often in the States, the premium you'd receive on a private sale is offset by the loss of the tax credit you'd receive on a trade in (ie I trade in my x5 for $40k, I avoid 6.25% in taxes toward a new vehicle). Maybe I could get 7% more in a private sale, but for that 1%, that makes it a much less desirable option...
Old 04-18-2011, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 ordered
marauder73:

By comparing 2012 35i and 35i premium and have made the same conclusion as yours, we had ordered 2011 35d at the end of Feb and changed to 2012 35i since it has pretty much all the features we care about. I think it's totally personal opinion whether it worths $$$$ to get features, there is nothing wrong or right there.

The features we want most are 3rd row seat, PDC, manaul sunshade, heated seat, those are all standard or can be added in 35i base. My wife even perfers cloth seat if BMW can offer since she doesn't really like leather, she also hates BMW NAV or anything else rather than Tomtom since she has been using Tomtom for years and is so used to it. There is also nothing wrong for the people who does like less expensive stuff against luxuary features, should I blame her so out of date, especially I am the chosen one as her husband

Since you are asking opinions, so it's quite common everyone has its their own preference; It appears you just as us already made your own decisions, so even you get all replies different than yours, does it matter ? , Take it easy.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder73 View Post
Again... all very subjective. No need to flame. Do most BMW owners tire of their vehicles after just a couple of years and trade them in at a dramatic loss?
I kept my '03 E53 for 7yrs. I absolutely loved it and only got rid of it because the repair bills were getting too high (projected '10 repairs and maintenance were $6k). I will not drive a rolling ball of electronics outside its warranty period again. [The repairs were for oil leaks, a/c, struts, etc; not electronics, but still...].

I'm trading in my '11 E70 because I just don't love it and I spent/spend too darned much on it to not love it. But dramatic loss? That dramatic loss is going to be realized no matter when you get rid of the car, so unless you are keeping the car forevermore and never getting another one to replace it, you are going to realize that dramatic loss one day. I'm just realizing it now instead of later. Ok, ya, the loss/time is higher, but the absolute value of the loss is still the same.

Why am I trading it instead of doing a private sale? The $3.5k in sales tax that I won't have to pay, but mostly because I'm lazy. And I've never sold a car myself before, so there's a little anxiety there...

Before buying my E70, a friend and I did some research on X5 trade-in values vs year traded in association with the percentage of original sales price returned. Curiously, the 'sweet spots' for trading in BMWs are at 1 year and 3 years. The trade in values drop dramatically at 4 years. Why? Good: 1yr -- still 'new', 3yr can CPO. Bad: They can no longer CPO a 4yo car. 2yr is not so good for some reason and I don't know why.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 AM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
I kept my '03 E53 for 7yrs. I absolutely loved it and only got rid of it because the repair bills were getting too high (projected '10 repairs and maintenance were $6k). I will not drive a rolling ball of electronics outside its warranty period again. [The repairs were for oil leaks, a/c, struts, etc; not electronics, but still...].

I'm trading in my '11 E70 because I just don't love it and I spent/spend too darned much on it to not love it. But dramatic loss? That dramatic loss is going to be realized no matter when you get rid of the car, so unless you are keeping the car forevermore and never getting another one to replace it, you are going to realize that dramatic loss one day. I'm just realizing it now instead of later. Ok, ya, the loss/time is higher, but the absolute value of the loss is still the same.

Why am I trading it instead of doing a private sale? The $3.5k in sales tax that I won't have to pay, but mostly because I'm lazy. And I've never sold a car myself before, so there's a little anxiety there...

Before buying my E70, a friend and I did some research on X5 trade-in values vs year traded in association with the percentage of original sales price returned. Curiously, the 'sweet spots' for trading in BMWs are at 1 year and 3 years. The trade in values drop dramatically at 4 years. Why? Good: 1yr -- still 'new', 3yr can CPO. Bad: They can no longer CPO a 4yo car. 2yr is not so good for some reason and I don't know why.
That's admirable! Yes, there does indeed come a time when the repair bills are higher than the car payment itself, and it ends up spending more time in the shop than on the road. Generally, I try to keep a vehicle as long as it's under warranty. I will most likely purchase the 7 year/100K warranty that BMW offers for $1700. I consider that a reasonable price, considering the likely repair costs of this vehicle, which seems to have had a less-than-stellar reliability history.