Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 04-19-2011, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 99 740i
OSV help

I have a 99 740i. I have replaced the OSV (on the back of the intake manifold) three times. The last time was done by a certified BMW mechanic.

When i got the car back, it did not smoke. During routine check, i noticed that the oil was low. I added more oil. And the smoking started back up again.

I just looked inside the intake manifold before running the car, and I could tell that there was some signs of oil inside the intake manifold.

I started the car up, and let it run. I then checked the intake manifold to find that it was coated in oil again.

Is there something else that can cause oil to be pulled into the intake manifold???

Or should I try to change out the OSV again?

I am trying to sell the car, and I need to get this fixed asap.
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
So let's get something straight:
First, it takes a while until the intake will be free of oil .
You replaced the PCV #2 in the 1st pic.(,,rear cover of the intake") not the OSV #1 in 2nd picture (behind the timing chain).

How this system works : The OSV-Oil separator valve absorb the air through that triangle shape hole and also acts like a cyclone and separates the oil drops from the oil vapors . The drops are going back in the oil pan (through the pipe #9 in the 2nd picture) and the ,,vapors" are going (through pipe #5 ) to the PCV. The PCV has a membrane in it and keeps constant the air that the OSV is sucking. From the PCVV oil/air vapors goes to the front of the intake through pipe #7 in 1st pic.
Now knowing this, if you still have a big oil trace in your intake it could be due :

OSV (the real OSV) bad-They are just plastic and they usually don't go bad. Chances 1%
pipe # 9 in 2nd pic gets clogged and the oil drops are pushed in the vapor system
seals from OSV to PCVV pipe shot
your crankcase is not sealed and here includes oil filler cap seal shot, dipstick seal shot,leaking valve covers gaskets, and the rest of the gasket/seals.

If you still have blue smoke during cold start-up could be due to bad valve stem seals also. After you shut down the engine the oil that seats on the top of your valves are passing through into your intake. When you start the engine that gets burned first. A leak test will confirm this or a visual inspection when the intake manifold is removed.

Question : last time have you used OEM or VR/similar. If you went with OEM you can rule out that, if not that could be your issue. I have run with non OEM and still had issues with it.
Did your mechanic changed any seals or just the PCVV?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake.png
Views:	253
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	275284   Click image for larger version

Name:	osv-pccv.png
Views:	227
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	275285  

Last edited by joyism5; 04-25-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport (E39)
Actually not to disagree but a few have gone bad lately that still caused smoke. After one guy replaced it on his 540i no more smoke. And Im talking about the OSV behind timing cover. I just replaced mine with all the timing.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW 3-SERIES View Post
Actually not to disagree but a few have gone bad lately that still caused smoke. After one guy replaced it on his 540i no more smoke. And Im talking about the OSV behind timing cover. I just replaced mine with all the timing.
This is the first time when I hear that the OSV went bad. It must be cracked or clogged I think. Another reason why it's behind the timing chain is that the designers of this engine assumed minimal chance for this to break down. Sorry for him. I don't wanna be in his shoes for paying a timing chain labor to change the $20 part. Or buying $400 tools to change that ...
Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Yeah no kidding.. Its hard. I mean you can try Motor Flush which desolves oil and deposits to see if that clears it up. But if its that than your looking at a job to do. At this point, I'd replace everything that I did which is entire timing crap (chain, tensioners, guides, osv) and since all has to come off your off to a fresh start on gaskets. All timing gaskets, valve covers, intake manifold, and sooooo on.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: E38 740il
From your description you have had the ccv changed several times not the osv. I will tell you from experience that I have had horrible experiences with aftermarket oem brand ccv valves going bad in a very short number of miles. The only ccv you should ever buy is from the dealership. Unless you want to replace it again

A good ccv from the dealership you will be able to see the outline of an orange diaphram on the back of the ccv. All others will be black. I've had to learn about part quality the hard way, save yourself some time and money and buy the ccv from the dealer, last one i bought was $95.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:23 AM

Just got an OSV from SSF for $ 24.09 which is not OEM lol but its BMW Group. Definitely worth it. Its an $ 1800 labor charge for a 20.00 part haha.. If you change that OSV behind timing cover, you MUST go ahead with changing timing chain, guides, tensioners and front main seal. Being that the intake manifold, valve-covers, and all timing covers... its BEST to change all those gaskets. This little job turns into a boat load of things to change :P like me. So far all the gaskets, seals, and parts are new on my motor including head gaskets and head bolts. Oh not to mention clutch kit, rear main seal, CPS, timing chain, guides, tensioners and so on haha LOTs of money in parts. Well worth it tho!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 740IL
95 740 osv

HI All, Just purchased a 95 740I with a 96 motor, The OSV is a simple job, You can take the cover off with a screw driver ,and replace the guts only, seen it on youtube and did it 10 minutes never took a screw out..No More Smoke...The cover snaps in and has a groove to match up, really simple job that a mechanics will charge hundreds to do...Now the other parts are plastic and never go bad but the Main valve does..

rob s

Forget the Car Payment..

Last edited by rsims5series; 02-24-2013 at 08:15 PM.