Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 Roadster
Oil Changes

I am trying to get your opinion about dealership oil changs vs. doing it yourself. I have never owned a BMW and am unsure if it is worth them doing the work. I have always taken my other vehicles to my local light repair guy to change the oil and wonder if there is more a dealership does for the extra money you pay. Thanks for your input! TOPS DOWN!!
Ads by Google
Old 04-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
IIRC the dealer also replaces the cabin air filter at time of oil change.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZSCCACalifornia/
Old 04-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster
Not a fan of going to the dealer once a car is out of warranty but would only take a BMW to an independent that specializes in (and knows) BMW's. I see lots of people on the forums that do their own routine maintenance.

I don't put a lot of miles on my car so when I do have the oil changed I have everything checked (about once a year).
Old 04-20-2011, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: '00 M Roadster
Z3 have no cabin filter.

A friend recently asked the same question as - he had a "coupon" for a $90 oil change. I thought great your getting a $90 oil change for free. No he says, I still pay $90 it just that that is cheaper than the dealer normally charges!!

With a little looking around, you can get the parts and oil to 2 oil changes for $90.

With a Z3, invest in a Mitivac and you don't even have to get under the car.

If you're in anyway mechanically inclined it's an easy job that will pay for the tools you need within a few oil changes.

TC Kline S/A Coilovers | Sharked | Turner Slotted Rotors | Axxis Ultimate Pads | SS Front Strut | IE Subframe Bushings | IE Rear Toe/Camber Kit
Whalen Shift Machine | Stygar Clutch Pedal | CDV Delete | LeatherZ Armrest | Whalen seat bushings | Z3Solutions Windblocker | Shift Pin fix
Old 04-20-2011, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Turner View Post
Not a fan of going to the dealer once a car is out of warranty but would only take a BMW to an independent that specializes in (and knows) BMW's. I see lots of people on the forums that do their own routine maintenance.

I don't put a lot of miles on my car so when I do have the oil changed I have everything checked (about once a year).
+1

Up until now, I have always done my own oil changes on cars, motorcycles, and tractors - but since this is a summer car for us, I'll take it to an independent BMW shop so they can give it an eyeball once a year. I'll still do brakes and maybe some other minor DIY that create a "buy a new tool opportunity" for me.

JB
Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i, M-roadster
Just get yourself a Mighty Vac top loader and do the oil change without a mess, it is very clean and inexpensive. The filter can be had in any auto part house. (Took me about 30 min and a cold one just to wait till every drop has been suck out). I also wipe the oil filter housing clean as well. Then the motor oil is your choice..I choose Synthetic all the way..it cost me a lot less and no waiting for them to do the job right. I know for sure the job is done right.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Navigator

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Z3rdstr View Post
I am trying to get your opinion about dealership oil changs vs. doing it yourself. I have never owned a BMW and am unsure if it is worth them doing the work. I have always taken my other vehicles to my local light repair guy to change the oil and wonder if there is more a dealership does for the extra money you pay. Thanks for your input! TOPS DOWN!!
My wife has changd the oil oi my Z4 I bet my 7 year old grandaughter could too !

Screw the Stealer & while I have an indi shop for other maintence & repairs - let's face it I save $30 DIY
Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 2.8 Roadster
If you're doing it yourself, what do you do about the service lights though?
Cheers
Duncan
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i, M-roadster
Get a service light reset tool...I have that for other reason as well. But worth the money for the long haul..
Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Although I tend to do most of the maintenance and repairs on my cars and motorcycles myself (if it is something I can do, and doesn't require some special tool that I don't have and don't want to buy), engine oil and filter changes on my Z3 are one thing that I have always let my local dealer (who is only 5 miles from my house) perform. Their charge for seven quarts of BMW synthetic 5W-30 and the oil filter element is essentially the same as what it would cost me to DIY, and their labor charge is about $25. For that $25, the dealer puts the car up on the lift and they and I take a good look at the underside of the car to inspect for any issues. Much easier, quicker, and more thorough than if I was trying to do this in my garage. To me it easily seems worth the $25 charge once each year.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 2.5 bmw z3 roadster
I figured that it took about 3 DIY oil changes to reach the break even point for the investment in my miti vac, socket to remove oil filter housing, and reset tool (off ebay). After that it's a trade off of time, money and enjoyment. The money you save by not using the dealer or an indy must be compared to the time you will spend shopping for the oil and filter and getting rid of the old oil. For me, I like the DIY experience and know that I am more likley to change my oil regularly if I am shelling out $45 per oil change vs. $90. Plus I would rather sit in my garage and drink a beer while I'm doing it than sit in a dealership and drink old coffee.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
I'm prepping to do my first DIY oil change later this spring. I've already secured the oil and filter, and will be getting a MityVac (or similar type suction tool) shortly. I have two questions though. Does anyone have the part number for the oil filter socket? Does it have to be a BMW-branded tool or is it a commercially (generic) sized socket? Also, can you use a generic engine diagnostic code reader to reset the service interval or do you have to use a BMW specific tool to interface with the computer? OK, I guess that was three. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0
Z4 2006 3.0 Still nice to drive.

Since I've only owned a BMW Z4 since last October I've only had the oil changed once. I really enjoyed waiting at the dealer and perusing the BMW paraphenalia while waiting for my car. Perhaps once the CPO warranty expires I may change the oil myself but there's so much the dealerships offer, to me it's worth the expense.

One thing I was surprised to discover was the "service engine soon" light still came on when I got the car back. Is this normal? I did notice the mileage till next oil change had changed and was correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW reduced.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	275642  
Old 04-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Sport
One thing I was surprised to discover was the "service engine soon" light still came on when I got the car back. Is this normal? I did notice the mileage till next oil change had changed and was correct.

JLORE,
DOes this mean that check engine light was already on before the oil change? They would need to be told to reset it, as it is not related to needing an oil change. They would have to find the cause of that light coming on with a diagnostic search. Could be a simple thing or a more complicated fix (ie: loose gas cap or intake air leak) They need to check and if they find nothing just reset for you.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:10 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
For the Z3, you don't need a reset tool to reset the oil service/inspection lights. You need a piece of wire. You jump pin 7 to pin 19 (IIRC) in the connector that is used for the computer diagnositc connection.

The dealer is SUPPOSED to do an Oil Service if the lights have counted down. This is more than just an oil change. They check other things.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)

Last edited by Pinecone; 05-13-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 AM

On the Z3, the countdown lights are for the oil service and the little clock is to change the brake fluid. I presume there are 2 reset mechanisms on the diagnostic connector and the wire link will only reset the oil lights?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:01 AM

OK, I changed my oil & filter today and tried to reset the lights with the piece of wire and it didn't work.

Searching on here and in other forums said you jump 7-19, not 7-20!

The procedure I used was to put the ignition to the accessory position, jumper 7-19 for about 4 seconds and on removal of the wire, all of the green oil service bars were now lit.

Pin 7 is the SI, 19 is Ground whereas 20 is serial TX data.

Duncan
Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Sport
Use a 36mm socket for the oil filter housing (not a BMW part). And FYI for Z4 and E46 there is a way to reset the service interval after and oil change without the reset/code reader. You need to fiddle with the instrument cluster buttons. Do a search for "DIY - Reset Service Interval on z4" or something and I am sure you will come across the procedure. I found it and used it, so I know it works.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Fixed, thanks. I was going from memory, which is not what it used to be

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
OK, I went to my local BMW dealer this morning for an oil and filter change. 7 quarts of BMW 5w-30 synthetic oil at $6.75/quart, one oil filter at $15.79, and $24.50 for labor. They replaced one of my seat belt buttons for no labor charge (only the $2.70 price for the part). With shop charges and tax, I was out the door for $102.67 in less than an hour after I walked in with no appointment . . . and they reset the service lights. That seems pretty fair to me.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 06-14-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 AM
ZEDHEAD

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Free View Post
Use a 36mm socket for the oil filter housing (not a BMW part). And FYI for Z4 and E46 there is a way to reset the service interval after and oil change without the reset/code reader. You need to fiddle with the instrument cluster buttons. Do a search for "DIY - Reset Service Interval on z4" or something and I am sure you will come across the procedure. I found it and used it, so I know it works.
Thanks for the suggestion, I changed the oil on Saturday and was bummed that I might have to buy the reset tool. I did a search based upon your suggestion and found the following procedure

"After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done."

It reset the countdown on my 2006 Z4 on the very first try!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLORE View Post
Since I've only owned a BMW Z4 since last October I've only had the oil changed once. I really enjoyed waiting at the dealer and perusing the BMW paraphenalia while waiting for my car. Perhaps once the CPO warranty expires I may change the oil myself but there's so much the dealerships offer, to me it's worth the expense.

Nice color Z!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0i
Just bought a Mityvac for motor oil extraction. The instructions say to flush the extractor with engine degreaser or solvent after use. What types of solvents are used by you guys/gals? Mineral spirits, alcohol?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:19 AM
///M Practical

Mein Auto: 00 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado02 View Post
Just bought a Mityvac for motor oil extraction. The instructions say to flush the extractor with engine degreaser or solvent after use. What types of solvents are used by you guys/gals? Mineral spirits, alcohol?
Mineral spirits has worked well for me.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado02 View Post
Mineral spirits followed by soapy water and rinse for the mityvac. Unless yours is larger than mine why use a Mityvac in the first place? Isn't there a drain plug for Z4's. As you can tell I'm a novice.