Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Acura RL
Smile Ordered my '11 X3 35i yesterday! (And question regarding EVP)

Hello All!

I am a first time BMW buyer and I just ordered a brand new X3 35i. (I have driven a 325i years ago... parent's car.) This will be replacing my 2005 Acura RL. I got the following options for the X3:

Carbon Black Metallic
Black Nevada Leather
Fineline Wave Wood (Darker wood trim)
Convenience Package
Cold Weather Package
Dynamic Handling Package
M Sport Package
Premium Package
Technology Package
BMW Assist with Bluetooth
Logic 7
Smartphone Integration/BMW Apps

So pretty much everything except HUD. (I wear polarized sunglasses so I won't be able to see the HUD half the time!) May slot so it should be done end of May early June. I can't wait. Although I have been reading about a lot of the problems that people have been having, leaky tailgate, bad door seals, hard to close doors, shaky engine, unexpected lurching, etc.... Hopefully those issues have been addressed and/or not that common...

I do have a question for you guys and its regarding the extended vehicle protection. I drive around 20,000 - 23,000 miles a year. Because of this, I was thinking that the GOLD level 7/100k made sense for me. What do you guys/gals think? I'm just worried because of all the new technology in this car and it being a first generation and all. (On the other hand, my dad did have the first generation X3 and it's still running.... minus a disabled broken moonroof...) How much would I be expected to pay for such a warranty on the X3? I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere.

I can't wait to get the car! I could only test drive a 35i without DHP but I hear that the DHP really makes a *good* difference. Here's hoping that this car will take care of me for the next 7 years! Oh yeah... and this is my first bimmerfest post! Hello World!

SJ.

Last edited by whispered; 04-21-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Changed title to also ask about Extended Vehicle Plan.
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Welcome to Bimmerfest and Congrats! Love the specs on your 35i! I have one on order as well with a week 19 build slot. Be sure to post pics when you get it!!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! I was wondering, were you planning on getting any extended vehicle protection plan for your X3 when it arrives?

Thanks!
SJ.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 35i
To whsipered: It may give you a little comfort to know that I have had my 35i since the 3rd week in Feb and have not had a single issue. My X-3 has been perfect!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 AM

To imtennisgoddess: Thank you for that knowledge! It gives me a lot of comfort.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by whispered View Post
Carbon Black Metallic
Black Nevada Leather
Fineline Wave Wood (Darker wood trim)
Convenience Package
Cold Weather Package
Dynamic Handling Package
M Sport Package
Premium Package
Technology Package
BMW Assist with Bluetooth
Logic 7
Smartphone Integration/BMW Apps
Congratualtions on your new car.

I noticed you ordered both DHP and M-Sport. Did your salesperson confirm that the DHP functions are not included in M-Sport? Was the price of the DHP any different when M-Sport was also ordered?

I've been trying to understand what is included in M-Sport vis a vis the combination of DHP and the Sports Activity Package, and have found the BMW web site a bit confusing.

On the new 5 series, I believe M-Sport includes both DHP and the 5 series equivalent of sports activity, so if you choose M-Sport you don't need to add those others. By logical extension, I would have thought the same would be true in the new X3.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I was wondering, were you planning on getting any extended vehicle protection plan for your X3 when it arrives?

Thanks!
SJ.
No, I'm not going to get it right away. You can buy the plan at any time you own the vehicle (in the first 4 years) down to the last day! I figure I will see if my car is solid during those first 4 years and if it is, I will pass on it, if not, I'll add it on right at the end of the 4 year regular warranty. I plan on keeping the vehicle for a while so it is a concern of mine as well! Hope that helps!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
Congratualtions on your new car.

I noticed you ordered both DHP and M-Sport. Did your salesperson confirm that the DHP functions are not included in M-Sport? Was the price of the DHP any different when M-Sport was also ordered?

I've been trying to understand what is included in M-Sport vis a vis the combination of DHP and the Sports Activity Package, and have found the BMW web site a bit confusing.

On the new 5 series, I believe M-Sport includes both DHP and the 5 series equivalent of sports activity, so if you choose M-Sport you don't need to add those others. By logical extension, I would have thought the same would be true in the new X3.

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce,

Thanks for the reply! That's a very good question. I just called my sales rep and he confirmed the following:

ZDH Dynamic Handling Package
223 Dynamic Damper Control
2VG Performance Control
2VL Variable sport steering

ZMP M Sport Package
225 Sport Suspension delete
2A8 19" M light alloy wheels (style
369M)
2TB Sport automatic transmission
2VG Performance Control
337 M Sport Package
3MC High-gloss Roof Rails
481 Sport seats
715 Aerodynamic kit
760 Shadowline exterior trim
775 Anthracite headliner
7XA Sport steering wheel w/paddles

You need the ZDH package in order to get the 223 (DDC) in the car. The Dynamic Handling Package is NOT just the variable sport steering. The Dynamic Handling Package costed $100 less with the M-Sport package. That's probably related to the Performance Control (2VG) option.

Hope this answers your question!

SJ.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
No, I'm not going to get it right away. You can buy the plan at any time you own the vehicle (in the first 4 years) down to the last day! I figure I will see if my car is solid during those first 4 years and if it is, I will pass on it, if not, I'll add it on right at the end of the 4 year regular warranty. I plan on keeping the vehicle for a while so it is a concern of mine as well! Hope that helps!
This helps a lot! This makes a lot of sense. You might as well invest that money within the first 45 months instead of just giving it away. Although, the question then becomes how much will the protection plan increase within those 45 months.

Thank you!
SJ.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Who did you get it from and how much?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 04-21-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Who did you get it from and how much?
Got this from David A. at Northwest BMW. I got the car for invoice+$500. David is a really good salesperson. Highly recommended. The dealership itself is also highly recommended.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: Off-Brand
(waiting for Ard to check in and instantaneously combust)
Or: The EVP is a huge profit generator for the F%I guy/gal
Most people never own their cars that long even though they "intend" to.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i/2011 X3 35i
whispered: A great deal. The salesman I was working with at BMW NW (not yours) insisted the best deal they've done is $1100 under MSRP! Even zag.com pricing says that they offer $2000 under MSRP. I have not finalized a deal yet, waiting for a production allocation and a PCD date...so maybe there is room to do better before a final deal.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:31 PM

The extended plan price can be negotiated even when buying it down the road.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleWA View Post
whispered: A great deal. The salesman I was working with at BMW NW (not yours) insisted the best deal they've done is $1100 under MSRP! Even zag.com pricing says that they offer $2000 under MSRP. I have not finalized a deal yet, waiting for a production allocation and a PCD date...so maybe there is room to do better before a final deal.
My sales person told me that he doesn't fool around when it comes to prices. He basically started at the best price he could. Best car buying experience ever. Good luck with yours!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleWA View Post
You will probably have plenty of time to wait due to production delays for orders with the Convenience Package. My order has been status 112 since early April and the soonest I can expect production is sometime in May, but will probably be longer due to the enactment of the mandatory navigation option by BMW starting with May production.

BTW I easily got $1100 over invoice from my local dealer.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Bruce,

Thanks for the reply! That's a very good question. I just called my sales rep and he confirmed the following:

ZDH Dynamic Handling Package
223 Dynamic Damper Control
2VG Performance Control
2VL Variable sport steering

ZMP M Sport Package
225 Sport Suspension delete
2A8 19" M light alloy wheels (style
369M)
2TB Sport automatic transmission
2VG Performance Control
337 M Sport Package
3MC High-gloss Roof Rails
481 Sport seats
715 Aerodynamic kit
760 Shadowline exterior trim
775 Anthracite headliner
7XA Sport steering wheel w/paddles

You need the ZDH package in order to get the 223 (DDC) in the car. The Dynamic Handling Package is NOT just the variable sport steering. The Dynamic Handling Package costed $100 less with the M-Sport package. That's probably related to the Performance Control (2VG) option.

Hope this answers your question!

SJ.
Thank you. Yes, that answered my question. I now think of the M-Sport option is an upgraded version of the Sports Activity Package.

Bruce
Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 AM

Mein Auto: None
hey how much is the EVP?
Also do you have a quote for 7/70k
Old 04-25-2011, 04:29 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Question for the group. Under the M sport pkg it has 2TB "sport transmission" how does this differ from the regular transmission?

I would have thought it would be the paddle shifters, but they are mentioned as another line item.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Anon, Ard is on another board, he rarely, if ever, visits us on the X3 side. Agree about the EVP -- huge profit maker for the F&I guy (loves those Cancun vacations!) and most will never keep their car long enough to use it.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverforum View Post
hey how much is the EVP?
Also do you have a quote for 7/70k
That's a good question. Does anyone know? I won't find out until it gets closer to my delivery date, which I am still waiting for.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Quote:
Question for the group. Under the M sport pkg it has 2TB "sport transmission" how does this differ from the regular transmission?

I would have thought it would be the paddle shifters, but they are mentioned as another line item.
@ Evlengr -
I'm not 100% sure, but probably 95% sure on this.... On the M-sport X3 models, the way the X3 sends power to the wheels is different than any of the other models.....basically from what I know, the M-sport sends power "maintains a rear wheel drive torgue split for sportier handling and responsiveness". I'm guessing this is done through some sort of electronic transfer and not mechanical transfer b/c it's the same parts...however I'd need to validate that. The above what I wrote is pretty much what I read online at BMWUSA....that the M-sport acts more like rear wheel drive under "normal conditions" but it still has all the X capabilities. If you look at the M-Sport package this is listed as "performance control"

So net net...if you order something with sport package and DHP, the setup will give you a rear bias, but I think with the M-sport it's even more so. It's really hard to tell b/c the website doesn't go into it much, but this is what I'm gathering.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:

I assume this is the same transmission but with faster shift times via modified firmware. I'm guessing this based on the sport automatic transmission (SAT) option that was offered in the LCI E60 535i and 550i RWD cars, and the SAT option in the new F10 series for both RWD and AWD 535 and 550 cars.

They don't seem to offer the SAT with the 528i or X3 28i.

On 2008 and newer 5 series cars, the paddle shifters only came with SAT.

Not sure how this works with other models that offer paddle shifters but don't mention SAT.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 04-26-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
I assume this is the same transmission but with faster shift times via modified firmware. I'm guessing this based on the sport automatic transmission (SAT) option that was offered in the LCI E60 535i and 550i RWD cars, and the SAT option in the new F10 series for both RWD and AWD 535 and 550 cars.

They don't seem to offer the SAT with the 528i or X3 28i.

On 2008 and newer 5 series cars, the paddle shifters only came with SAT.

Not sure how this works with other models that offer paddle shifters but don't mention SAT.

Thanks
Bruce
Wow... I didn't even notice the SAT not being an option on the X28i. That's very impressive attention to detail. And I didn't even know that SAT was responsible for faster shifting times! Thanks for the great info!

SJ.