Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series

M Series
The ///M Series Forums. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 02-25-2004, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 M3 Coupe SMG
M3 ED pickup, 1200 mile service ?

We ordered an M3 and doing Euro Delivery. We will be driving quite a bit and I noticed it needs to be serviced at 1200 miles.
At 1200 miles we will likely still be in Europe. (will be there for 3 weeks)
Can I have it serviced in Europe at a dealer for the 1200 miles and will that be covered by the US maintanance plan ?

What do they do at this service anyways ? Oil probably which I definetely want to have done.

What do the break-in instructions say for those first miles ? Since we'll drive it in Germany, then likely to some mountain roads over the alps into Italy, then back to Holland.

thanks
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2004, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: unimobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruiter
We ordered an M3 and doing Euro Delivery. We will be driving quite a bit and I noticed it needs to be serviced at 1200 miles.
At 1200 miles we will likely still be in Europe. (will be there for 3 weeks)
Can I have it serviced in Europe at a dealer for the 1200 miles and will that be covered by the US maintanance plan ?

What do they do at this service anyways ? Oil probably which I definetely want to have done.

What do the break-in instructions say for those first miles ? Since we'll drive it in Germany, then likely to some mountain roads over the alps into Italy, then back to Holland.

thanks
Congrata-freakulations !!!

We will most likely both me May vintage deliveries, I was told the 1,200 is mainly a check-up...hoses, oil level, tranny fluid level etc... I plan on doing Oil change for certain (pay myself).

Are you keeping the Cobra or selling her ? The Mustang forums hate M3's and any euro make...lol. Oh well.

Have some fun in Germany, some of the nicest people My wife and I have ever met & stay in touch !!
Old 02-25-2004, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashinthepan
Congrata-freakulations !!!

We will most likely both me May vintage deliveries, I was told the 1,200 is mainly a check-up...hoses, oil level, tranny fluid level etc... I plan on doing Oil change for certain (pay myself).

Are you keeping the Cobra or selling her ? The Mustang forums hate M3's and any euro make...lol. Oh well.

Have some fun in Germany, some of the nicest people My wife and I have ever met & stay in touch !!
Good, I'll just check the levels myself.

I'm keeping the Cobra, It's my baby. Not as refined as the BMW's but it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive. Power is insane.
The M3 will be my girls baby, perhaps she'll let me drive it :-)

I think we have pickup on the 11th. When's your date ??
Old 02-25-2004, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: .
1200 mile service includes tranny fluid change, diff oil change and engine oil and filter change

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: unimobile
Quote:
Good, I'll just check the levels myself.

I'm keeping the Cobra, It's my baby. Not as refined as the BMW's but it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive. Power is insane.
The M3 will be my girls baby, perhaps she'll let me drive it :-)

I think we have pickup on the 11th. When's your date ??
I ordered on Feb 2nd, dont get production even started till March 15th, but I was told May delivery.

ATY sounds like he has been through the M3 1200 mile, you should check with a Euro dealer on your trip, My "saleman" told me it was a check-up etc... be safe and inquire.

I would guess you will beat my delivery, since you are doing the ED ?

Old 02-25-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashinthepan
I ordered on Feb 2nd, dont get production even started till March 15th, but I was told May delivery.

ATY sounds like he has been through the M3 1200 mile, you should check with a Euro dealer on your trip, My "saleman" told me it was a check-up etc... be safe and inquire.

I would guess you will beat my delivery, since you are doing the ED ?

yes, It is set for May 11th
Old 02-25-2004, 12:30 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Salesman does NOT know what he is talking about.

Diff fluid changed, tranny fluid changed. Engine oil and filter changed, plus a check over.

You can get it done in Europe, should be free.

Break in is the same everywhere. No more than 5,500 RPM for the first 1200 miles. No full throttle acceleration. No driving above 105 MPH. Also do not maintain a constant engine speed for any length of time, meaning NO cruise control.

After 1200 miles, you can gradually increase the RPM and throttle up to 3200 miles. Most people do not wait that long, but don't leave the 1200 miles service at full throttle to redline in every gear.

Take LOTS of money for gas. Expect $4 per gallon and UP.

Then you have the fun of waiting 4 - 8 weeks afterwards to get your car redelivered over here.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 02-25-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone

Diff fluid changed, tranny fluid changed. Engine oil and filter changed, plus a check over.

Break in is the same everywhere. No more than 5,500 RPM for the first 1200 miles. No full throttle acceleration. No driving above 105 MPH. Also do not maintain a constant engine speed for any length of time, meaning NO cruise control.

After 1200 miles, you can gradually increase the RPM and throttle up to 3200 miles. Most people do not wait that long, but don't leave the 1200 miles service at full throttle to redline in every gear.

Then you have the fun of waiting 4 - 8 weeks afterwards to get your car redelivered over here.
Okay, thanks for the info.

I know about the gas prices.. Grew up there. Insane.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:47 PM
M Mad

Quote:
Okay, thanks for the info.

I know about the gas prices.. Grew up there. Insane.
Just warning you. Remember you will be getting about 20 MPG at first. Tight engine and reduced speeds, less in city driving. After the 1200 mile service, gas milage goes up as your cruising speed goes up, to a limit.

So the first 1200 miles will run about $240 in gas alone.

Where'd you grow up?

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 02-26-2004, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Just warning you. Remember you will be getting about 20 MPG at first. Tight engine and reduced speeds, less in city driving. After the 1200 mile service, gas milage goes up as your cruising speed goes up, to a limit.

So the first 1200 miles will run about $240 in gas alone.

Where'd you grow up?
I grew up in Holland, which probably has some of the highest gas prices in Europe. This $2 a gallon means nothing to me !
not really, but....
Old 02-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Paw Paw

Send a message via Yahoo to glaws
Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Coupe Topaz/Gray
Quote:

It's free in the US, but not in Europe - my Brit buddies complain about it all the time.

A friend will allways try to help you up when you fall. If I can't get you up: Hell, I'll just lie down with you.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:35 AM
M Mad

But since he is EDing a US market car, it should be included.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3