Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5, M6 Vert
iPhone 4 not playing with BMW Bluetooth audio

Hi,

My iPhone 4 ver4.3 is not playing music thru BMW Bluetooth audio , I can see option under my iPhone down to the right in my iphone music player but no sound coming out of BMW speakers; both icons phone/audio in my BMW Bluetooth profile are showing up and address book transfer is working fine.

Wondering if it's me or a known issue?

Thx. Mike

535xi 2011 April1 production.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 5281 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post
Hi,

My iPhone 4 ver4.3 is not playing music thru BMW Bluetooth audio , I can see option under my iPhone down to the right in my iphone music player but no sound coming out of BMW speakers; both icons phone/audio in my BMW Bluetooth profile are showing up and address book transfer is working fine.

Wondering if it's me or a known issue?

Thx. Mike

535xi 2011 April1 production.
I don't know what form of music you are trying to play but the following is a reply I posted on another thread for the Pandora app on the iPhone. It is the same procedure for the iPod app.

You have to set up your music selection in Pandora from your iPhone but you can skip to the next song from the iDrive screen. You don't get any song info or album artwork though. No additional software is required.

1. Make sure you iPhone is bluetooth paired with the car.
2. On the main menu of the iDrive screen select CD/Multimedia.
3. Check Bluetooth Audio.
4. Select Connected Phone.
5. Select Configure Phone.
6. Check bluetooth audio.
7. Go back to the CD/DVD menu.
8. Select External Device.
9. Select Bluetooth Phone connection.
10. The iDrive screen will show "connecting".
11. Activate Pandora app on iPhone.
12. After connected, the iDrive screen will show forward and backward icons. The forward icon will skip to the next song but the backward icon does not do anything.

The above procedure is a brief description and may take some tweaking but it does work. I think it's the same procedure as setting up a bluetooth connection for the iPod on the iPhone but you activate the Pandora app instead of the iPod app.

One nice feature is that Pandora stops when you get out of the car and then restarts automatically when you get back in.

I think this is better than the 6NR BMW apps because it can operate via bluetooth where as the 6NR BMW apps require you to physically attach your phone to the car which to me is a PITA when getting in and out of the car.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
Probably something on your end. It works fine for me - pandora, other music apps, ipod, etc. they all work over BT on my Iphone4. You may need to delete your phone and then repair it.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I had a similar issue with my iPhone 4 when I did my ED last week. I didn't really care to diagnose and attempt to fix since the cord solved the problem, but the delivery guy said the iPhone 4 does have this problem.

I'm anxious to try the steps mentioned above when my car arrives.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 04-22-2011, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
If you plug the same paired iphone in through USB it will disconnect the bluetooth profile for audio only even after it is unplugged, restarted whatever (a message will tell you so on idrive). Simple fix everytime after using it plugged in is you need to reconnect the audio side as folows...

Go to your iphone - setting/general/bluetooth and you'll see the BMW profile is connected.

Go to add phone or add audio device in idrive settings and start the pairing process on idrive, but then go to the BMW profile on your iphone and you will see it is now disconnected.

Click on the BMW bluetooth profile on your iphone (while idrive is still looking for a device) and it will reconnect (without asking for passcode, etc.). DO NOT put the iphone in pairing mode just click on the existing BMW bluetooth profile. The idrive screen will go back to the regualr device screen or whatever and the bluetooth audio profile will now be connected and working.

Or better stated:

1. Put idrive in pairing mode, but not the iphone (by using add bluetooth device/phone/whatever in idrive setting).

2. Click on the existing BMW bluetooth profile on your iphone.

3. Done (audio side is now connected and working).

You can also just add or delete and add the device again from scratch with new passcode, etc., but you don't have to do all that. Just click on the profile on your iphone with BMW in the pairing process and all will be back to normal.

You'll need to do this everytime after you plug in the same paired device to use it via bluetooth again.

I find it best to use an ipod plugged in and keep the iphone on bluetooth... this way you can get full advantage of bluetooth and never have to plug your phone in. If you you have not had a chance to update the sync on the ipod and you want to listen to a certain song that is only the iphone, just listen to it via bluetooth untill you update the ipod by syncing both in itunes (phone first of course).

Also I was tired of my e-mail bongs, etc. interupting my music. Ipod plugged in and iphone via buetooth (well um unless you have ipod integration, 6NR, BMW Connected of course then you may want to plug in the iphone most of the time or craddle, but just reconnect when you want to go back to bluetooth via the aforementioned steps 1,2 and 3 ).

Last edited by Glock 32; 04-22-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: X5, M6 Vert
thx

Thx a lot, it fixed my issue. I love it and no regrets that I dont have a new BMW app function. Sound quality is good enough for me - and yes its not my old M6 Dirac system quality .

Anyone with more info on Office function with iPhone4 - any luck?

mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeI View Post
I don't know what form of music you are trying to play but the following is a reply I posted on another thread for the Pandora app on the iPhone. It is the same procedure for the iPod app.

You have to set up your music selection in Pandora from your iPhone but you can skip to the next song from the iDrive screen. You don't get any song info or album artwork though. No additional software is required.

1. Make sure you iPhone is bluetooth paired with the car.
2. On the main menu of the iDrive screen select CD/Multimedia.
3. Check Bluetooth Audio.
4. Select Connected Phone.
5. Select Configure Phone.
6. Check bluetooth audio.
7. Go back to the CD/DVD menu.
8. Select External Device.
9. Select Bluetooth Phone connection.
10. The iDrive screen will show "connecting".
11. Activate Pandora app on iPhone.
12. After connected, the iDrive screen will show forward and backward icons. The forward icon will skip to the next song but the backward icon does not do anything.

The above procedure is a brief description and may take some tweaking but it does work. I think it's the same procedure as setting up a bluetooth connection for the iPod on the iPhone but you activate the Pandora app instead of the iPod app.

One nice feature is that Pandora stops when you get out of the car and then restarts automatically when you get back in.

I think this is better than the 6NR BMW apps because it can operate via bluetooth where as the 6NR BMW apps require you to physically attach your phone to the car which to me is a PITA when getting in and out of the car.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:01 AM

Mein Auto: 535iGT
Is Bluetooth Audio a software upgrade for iDrive? Mine is 535i GT April/May build 2010. I can't find Bluetooth Audio under CD/Multimedia iDrive. Do I need to upgrade iDrive software to get Bluetooth Audio or some hardware retrofit? Any advice?
Old 04-23-2011, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viado View Post
Is Bluetooth Audio a software upgrade for iDrive? Mine is 535i GT April/May build 2010. I can't find Bluetooth Audio under CD/Multimedia iDrive. Do I need to upgrade iDrive software to get Bluetooth Audio or some hardware retrofit? Any advice?
Unfortunately you can't upgrade to BT audio. It is a hardware/software update (called combox) that was installed in September and later built vehicles...

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Jesuis

Mein Auto: '11 550xi and '10 X5M
iPhone 4 Office Function in 2011 iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post
Thx a lot, it fixed my issue. I love it and no regrets that I dont have a new BMW app function. Sound quality is good enough for me - and yes its not my old M6 Dirac system quality .

Anyone with more info on Office function with iPhone4 - any luck?

mike.
I went through the BMW website and found that only two cell phones are compatible with the calendar, notes, etc. on the Office function!! Two Sony Ericssons. And I can't find any phone that is compatible with all of the functions. How can they do such a thing? I certainly hope that there is going to be a software update!

Jesuis
'11 550ix and '10 X5M
Old 07-02-2011, 10:56 PM
SeaRaven

Mein Auto: 1 Sexy 328i W/ Sport Pkg
It seems to me that the clown team took over BMW's software develoment and testing dep.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Loving my car.

Send a message via Skype™ to lib
Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Angry

Commmenting only in case someone else searches and finds this like me.

I have an E60 and iphone 4. Bluetooth works great for the phone to make voice calls. I use the 'waze' app for GPS and it works great with the car to announce navigation over bluetooth.

But I have yet to find a way to get Pandora and other apps to go out bluetooth!

Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I always just plug in. Keeps the phone charged and avoids all the fuss. BT audio, even when you get it working, provides no navigation, at least with my 3GS. All you can do is skip to the next song. Kind of limited.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 323 & x3
I think you need to update your Iphone software to IOS 5.1.1. When I did this update I found it worked seamlessly with the car.